Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Darth Roxor on Disappointment, thy name is Pillars of Eternity

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Only Shadowrun and Divinity managed to go 'scott free', only because the first was supported by fans of the setting, other people didn't care, and Divinity was never considered a 'serious' RPG.

Dead State was an outsider and was ripped to shreds by almost everyone when released even if it got a good review as well, the problem was that GGturds took the opportunity for attacking Annie and that muddled the waters.

Of the Codex most anticipated games Wasteland 2 got a glowing review by VD, exactly as PoE, funny isn't it, and people complained about it too, even if in a less passionate way as now.

In short your argument is invalid.

My point is that arguing that POE doesn’t deserve credit for providing role-play opportunities is unfair, since this is not a norm nowadays, far from it. Nothing that you mentioned can change this simple fact.

Roxor tastes are irrelevant, address the criticism, a Codexer being upset by the use of ceodexianism is quite hilarious.

If the reviewer decided beforehand that everything in the game sucks and is nitpicking the hell out of it, why would I spend ridiculous amount of time trying to prove him wrong? To point every single example of good writing and interesting quests for him is as futile as trying to convince creationists that evolution works. He will just ignore everything I say. I don’t think that POE is perfect, but to state that the writing is horrible and the quests are boring? By these standards, almost every single cRPG out there sucks. But hey, he enjoy Shadowrun, right? Where is the coherence? His tastes are relevant because it shows that he does not give a dam about the actual content of the game and is being completely arbitrary.

Yours is an empty rebuttal, it has been already stated that Pillows has all the bad of old IE games and very little of the good, besides pointing out how other games got shit in itl too is not a very good defense, it's only confirmPoE's mediocrity, and that didn't improve one bit on those older games.

Well, I didn’t say that POE provided very little of the good. The writing is good and the quests are good. The combat is forgettable, but passable. My point is that people enjoyed other games for much less, but they won’t admit it because they embarked in a crusaded against Sawyer’s philosophy. I think that in the moment Roxor first read Sawyer remarks about balance and grognards he decided he would bash this game as if were the worst thing since AIDS.

mastroego

Arcane
Well, I didn’t say that POE provided very little of the good. The writing is good and the quests are good. The combat is forgettable, but passable. My point is that people enjoyed other games for much less, but they won’t admit it because they embarked in a crusaded against Sawyer’s philosophy. I think that in the moment Roxor first read Sawyer remarks about balance and grognards he decided he would bash this game as if were the worst thing since AIDS.
Well, it's true in my case, I haven't even played the game.
But I argue that Sawyer making said remarks IS reason enough to hate the game. Both for the damage inevitably done unto it, and for the possible, future damage to other properties, should sawyerism become a trend.

Also, we are soulful individuals. We are supposed to pick sides and fight bitterly.
And also again, this review has been very helpful to me at least: I now know that it's better to keep an eye on Roxor's posts as he and I may have similar tastes and I might pick up something useful down the line :)

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Of the Codex most anticipated games Wasteland 2 got a glowing review by VD...
You sure you've actually *read* the review?

... exactly as PoE...
You've even read a review I didn't write yet! Did you read my Torment review too?

I mean you basically dumped the tl;dr.. You could barely hold your load in your pants you were so excited to gush about this game.

I am looking forward to your review. My Butt is primed and ready to be abused. Wait what?

I have to ask, why did the codex feature such a praising apologetic review of Wasteland 2, which was arguably a mediocre product, but then an Ok RPG by all standards, gets bashed mercilessly?

Tell me some here aren't bet on sucking that fucking greaseball's snake oil salesman dick.

I gave this game an 8/10.. I think it's because of the rampant fanboyism going on that this game is like a divine light shining through the clouds of decline that makes me want to hate it more and post edgy shit to Iren..

The game is definitely OK.. I hate certain things about it.. but I did beat it and will probably play it again.. some day..

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
You've even read a review I didn't write yet!
You have vaguely outlined your opinion in one of the threads already to be fair.
I said it's a better game than BG. However, I think that BG fucking sucks, so I wouldn't call it a glowing endorsement just yet.

Also, here is a rare drawing made by Darth Roxor himself. It depicts a typical Codexian drama that took place behind the scenes:

gxr3pRV.jpg

I mean you basically dumped the tl;dr.. You could barely hold your load in your pants you were so excited to gush about this game.
Posted it for the lulz.

Lhynn

Arcane
Lurker King This is how its done, it makes for a much more dynamic dialogue that keeps you interested trough.

shadowrunreturns-01.png

conv.jpg

screen2.jpg

And then this

Wa8n3QL.jpg

After playing SSR, a game with mediocre writing, but it does a really good job at making me picture those people and how they move in my head and its good, its how i like it. Then come across PoEs writing and its jarring, and oh so boring, my brain instantly losses interest and i have to keep forcing myself to read, to pay attention, and it starts to become annoying and oh good, why does it keep saying continue, let me say something. Half of me is wondering why the game is telling me what its showing me, the other half is wondering why the game is giving me all this info i didnt really ask for, who gives a shit about some event i didnt get to be in and is not going to be relevant, or a war that while is connected to the plot is irrelevant to your current situation.

But no, the game rewards you for going tru that writing, so obviously you start ignoring what they are saying and just picking what sounds best. And so because dialogue is the only thing that is being systemically rewarded by the game, the dialogue becomes the game, and the shit combat becomes even more grating because it has no relevance, but you HAVE to kill people, they are in your way, they are in red circles and they are not scared of you, never scared of you. Makes me actually miss yellow circles.

At some point you have to ask yourself, do these people have no common sense? im not even gonna ask if they know what good design is, not even gonna give them that. Im just wondering, common sense? heard of it?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

I totally agree.. Even NWN and NWN2 would emote Sounds, Smells, Ambiance and other things that even a 3D engine couldn't really show or do at the time.

There were many painted triggers in those games where when you walked into a room it would describe the room in a way the game couldn't show you. It wouldn't say "You walk into a tavern and see some dwarves with low polygon armor equipped"

The text should enhance the game, not just describe what you're staring at.. Shadow run does this really well.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
Lurker King This is how its done, it makes for a much more dynamic dialogue that keeps you interested trough.

shadowrunreturns-01.png

conv.jpg

screen2.jpg

And then this

Wa8n3QL.jpg

After playing SSR, a game with mediocre writing, but it does a really good job at making me picture those people and how they move in my head and its good, its how i like it. Then come across PoEs writing and its jarring, and oh so boring, my brain instantly losses interest and i have to keep forcing myself to read, to pay attention, and it starts to become annoying and oh good, why does it keep saying continue, let me say something. Half of me is wondering why the game is telling me what its showing me, the other half is wondering why the game is giving me all this info i didnt really ask for, who gives a shit about some event i didnt get to be in and is not going to be relevant, or a war that while is connected to the plot is irrelevant to your current situation.

But no, the game rewards you for going tru that writing, so obviously you start ignoring what they are saying and just picking what sounds best. And so because dialogue is the only thing that is being systemically rewarded by the game, the dialogue becomes the game, and the shit combat becomes even more grating because it has no relevance, but you HAVE to kill people, they are in your way, they are in red circles and they are not scared of you, never scared of you. Makes me actually miss yellow circles.

At some point you have to ask yourself, do these people have no common sense? im not even gonna ask if they know what good design is, not even gonna give them that. Im just wondering, common sense? heard of it?

PoE's writing is 10x better than that shitty comic book writing on the kids game above. I'm sorry you have so short attention span.

rado907

Savant
I found this review very accurate, though a bit overly negative. Ultimately, it is true that PoE's systems are all flawed and without exception inferior to the systems in the IE games. That said, though a bit dull at times, PoE is still enjoyable for at least one run-through. The castle in Act 1 is the high point of the game, and the last 10-15 hours of gameplay (the last two acts and the big dungeon) are very forgettable.

My favorite sentence in the review was this one: "The only emotion PoE evoked from me during the 41 hours it took me to finish it was a feeling of ennui that kept telling me, ‘maybe I should play IWD again’."
I tried to do a second run of PoE, gave up (from boredom), bought IWDEE, and had a week of good fun. Then the other day I installed BG1EE. And BG1EE feels better than ever.

Looking forward to PoE2 - at least the devs know what to fix now.

On a side note, the arrogance of some lead designers who think they know better than their predecessors is remarkable. The idiots at Blizzard horribly botched Diablo 3; and now we see Obsidian deliberately butcher D&D. Because they just know better. A bit of humility and respect for tradition can go a long way.

roshan

Arcane

No common sense is exactly how I would describe this bunch of blundering idiots.

whmdqt.jpg

Is this in any way a functional minimap? How utterly stupid does a group of professional designers have to be to create something like this?

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
Sure, except this place could have applied the same reasoning to that shitty tree who grew a few month ago. Instead of venerating it like a sacred tree because the flattering salesman sold them the seeds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom