Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Rogue Legacy

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m75CnVj4aIY

Great game, it's a castlevania meets spelunky meets roguelike. Bought it for 13jewro and i don't regret a single cent, the game is hard like realy REALY hard but at the same time very fun and when you die you come back for more.
It's an indie game but it is very well done, i was surprised how well everything is made. The game is just pure 100% gameplay no BS of todays IMMERSHUN etcetc

Fun fact: when you die you play your next game as your heir, just like in crusader kings. Your next son or daughter carry over all your stuff.

(you can have a gay hero)

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Heard some good stuff about that game. I'm thinking about buying it, but I don't know if I could stomach that "cutesy" artstyle.

Renegen

Arcane
The game is fun, I was surprised to learn that its developers made such masterpieces as Don't Shit Your Pants but from my playthrough its not perfect. Unlikely many other roguelikes, this one is heavily dependent on grinding gear and upgrades with your previous characters in order to get anywhere in the castle. You will die hundreds and hundreds of times before you will have a shot at finishing the game. In fact, the average game length is around 5-10 minutes.

This is not a roguelike where you will have these rare but exciting 1 hour long successful adventures, but an endless 5 minute grind to unlock ever more gold just to buy that +1 damage upgrade you need so badly. Thus, there is little excitement over your next life. Still, there's so much random stuff and different ways to play the game, the grinding almost disappears, almost. I give it a 6 out of 10, a real deeply flawed game. Only buy if you're a big Castlevania, platformer or Don't Shit your Pants fan.

Stabwound

Arcane
I played the game.

My first impression: this is one of the best concepts with worst execution I've ever seen. The game in theory sounds really fun, the concept is rather unique, and I'm a huge fan of the Metroidvania genre, but holy shit they really dun goofed. Designing the game so that the average life lasted 1-2 hours rather than 1-2 minutes (at the beginning) would have made it much less of a fucking annoyance. I can understand how people like the game so much, and maybe games last longer when you grind enough, but dying 200 times to get anywhere is outrageously annoying to me.

That, and the Metroidvania genre is one that works best with hand-crafted stages.

I'm just not sure. I want to like the game so much, but it just seems like one gigantic grind. If they designed it so that it were possible to perhaps finish the game on your first character then that would be fun. This is more like "Rogue Suicide Machine"

Machocruz

Arcane
Ah, gamers and their careless adoption and application of terminology. Metroidvania was meant to describe Castlevania games structured like Metroid, not all games structured like Metroid (specifically Super). Whatever.

Stabwound

Arcane
Let's be real: the term has long been used to describe all games of this genre, not just Symphony of the Night styled Castlevanias.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm happy to see I'm not the only one getting brutally slaughtered. Now I feel like less of a pussy.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Let's be real: the term has long been used to describe all games of this genre, not just Symphony of the Night styled Castlevanias.
This. To be specific, it refers not just to the powerup collecting in Metroid, but the aspect of having levels/stats instead of just a few different weapons like in Metroid. Or at least that's always been my take on it.

And yeah, good idea, bad execution is the perfect summary for this I think. It's very close to my ideal game. I'd want more focus on the unique abilities than stat tweaking, and proper permadeath, but the gist of randomly generated challenges combined with lots of exploration based rewards and some customization in your abilities presses all my buttons. However, The controls feel slippery, the hitboxes vague, and the difficulty too arbitrary. It really is just outright impossible to beat the game with your first adventurer. Not even a TAS run could pull it off vs the forest boss. Which means your progress is mostly determined by how much time you've sunk and how lucky you've gotten with character traits and loot, because neither are even remotely balanced.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I really rather like this game. The runs in the beginning are very short, but towards the end they get much longer. The traits are fun, but their impact on the game is minimal most of the time. Wish that equipment was less rare so I didn't have to clear a section 10 times to get it all.

I'm on the final boss, he is bloody hard. Can't cheeze him like I did the other bosses :(

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I really rather like this game. The runs in the beginning are very short, but towards the end they get much longer. The traits are fun, but their impact on the game is minimal most of the time. Wish that equipment was less rare so I didn't have to clear a section 10 times to get it all.

I'm on the final boss, he is bloody hard. Can't cheeze him like I did the other bosses :(

Use a Barbarian King for the final boss if you're having trouble. First, they have high HP which allow you to tank some of the damage and second, their shout special negates the swords/knives if used sparingly.

Machocruz

Arcane
This. To be specific, it refers not just to the powerup collecting in Metroid, but the aspect of having levels/stats instead of just a few different weapons like in Metroid. Or at least that's always been my take on it.

This makes sense. But I've seen it applied to games that don't have that and just play like Metroid (Shadow Complex). But that has nothing to do with this game in particular which is more like the Iga-vanias, so I did indeed jump the gun.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Unless they fixed it, there is also a bug on the final boss- if you kill the first form during the time stop effect, the second one will be frozen until you cast the spell again.

Tommers

Augur
It sort of works in Binding of Isaac although it doesn't feel like a grind there. This game, however, sounds like it would be extremely tedious.

Ah. I haven't played that. Is it any good?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It sort of works in Binding of Isaac although it doesn't feel like a grind there. This game, however, sounds like it would be extremely tedious.

Ah. I haven't played that. Is it any good?

Binding of Isaac? Probably one of my favorite games in recent years. It's a mix of rogue-like and NES 8 bit Zelda. I have around 200 hours sunk into it and the expansion. Although I'm sure it'll be dirt cheap in the upcoming Steam sale the developer (same guy that made Meatboy) is working on a revamped version with additional content but I'm not certain when it'll come out. He talks about it here although it's not just for consoles, it'll be on PC, too.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finally unlocked the dragon class. Probably gonna be shit but oh well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom