Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Risen 2 -- preorder to get the full game

MetalCraze

Arcane
Publisher can't just do shit out of the blue to a contracted dev. Same goes for devs.
It isn't some EA dev studio which gets disbanded by EA if it's naughty.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
When did the Inquisition go from staff wielding monk-like zealots to imperialistic Victorian Era musket wielding shock troopers?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I bought Risen and it's been sitting on my HD for like half a year now. Something is missing. That Gothic spirit... it's in there somewhere. It's got the item names and the voices; it's got the style and the looks.

But something is missing. Maybe it'll be back in Risen 2. I haven't even made it into a city yet, it's that... dull.

MCA
This is specifically PB decision to do this?

Last time I've checked PB were the developers.
Risen happened in the first place because they didn't want publishers to have control over their IP. That's why they abandoned Gothic and let JoWooD rape it in all crazy ways.

"Abandoned" is a little pushing it. Gothic IP always belonged to PB, still does. JW had partial control over the IP as the publisher. PB devs talking:

"For us it seemed to be a win-win situation," said Hoge of the impact of ArcaniA - A Gothic Tale, "because we knew we would get the brand back."
"We thought, OK, scenario one: they do a good game and it furthers the brand. Scenario 2: they fail and everyone knows why."

It seems to me like they made the best out of their situation with JW.

Anyway, DLCs are a marketing maneuver that obviously pay back. As long as it isn't substantial content cut from the game, who gives a fuck?

MCA
I bought Risen and it's been sitting on my HD for like half a year now. Something is missing. That Gothic spirit... it's in there somewhere. It's got the item names and the voices; it's got the style and the looks.

But something is missing. Maybe it'll be back in Risen 2. I haven't even made it into a city yet, it's that... dull.

Lack of climbing, environmental freedom and proper AI navigation, and console trash combat that feels like diarrhea to play.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The combat definitely feels bad, and I didn't think of it, but climbing, yes. That must be a big part of it. It's those little things you only miss or notice when they're gone.

MCA
You could easily say that a quarter of G1 was all about climbing all over the place. It made exploration feel more rewarding. You look up a hill, wonder what's up there and you see ledges you can climb. It was like a Tomb Raider Lite RPG at times. Imagine Tomb Raider without all that acrobatics and climbing stuff.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Actually you can climb in Risen -- it's just that acrobatics skill didn't allow for higher jumps so places you could climb were somewhat limited. Gothic 3, on the other hand, did not have climbing.

Kraszu

Prophet
Actually you can climb in Risen -- it's just that acrobatics skill didn't allow for higher jumps so places you could climb were somewhat limited. Gothic 3, on the other hand, did not have climbing.

There were plenty of places to climb in G/G2 not so much in Risen. I only recall climbing on buildings there.

And lolz at console combat, plenty of console games have timing based combat lolz.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I can't speak for ranged combat and magic, but the melee combat in Risen was a significant improvement over the previous entries.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I don't know. Maybe I haven't played it long enough. The combat in Risen feels like lame button mashing or a click-fest. I'm not sure.

In Gothic 1/2 I just had to time my attacks right and the controls made sense. I'm not really sure what to do in Risen. I guess I wish there was some option to use the Gothic control scheme, which was perfect (and everyone who thinks otherwise is a poopyhead). Is there such an option?

Edit: I probably just don't like it because it's different. I hate change.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I don't know; I don't remember fighting with mouseclicks. I remember holding CTRL and using my arrow keys. Felt very controlled.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Instead of timing arrow keys, you time mouse clicks, HOLY MOTHERFUCKING SHIT DAT IS SUM CHANGE I CAN NEVER EVER COPE WITH

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
You don't CTRL either, so that's very different.

Also, how do I switch between the side-swipe (control and left/right) and the forward combo? The in-game tutorial was a bit sparse on this topic.

Edit: You'll laugh, but switching from CTRL and arrow keys IS a massive change for me, and not one for the better. Assburgers, I swear.

Black

Arcane
Good news is, Risen 2 will be more "consolified".

Yes I said it, but this means there ought to be better combat than all that atrocious shit that was present in all previous PB games.
How does consolification imply better combat?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Risen combat is different but certainly not 'worse' than G1/G2 combat. Yes, you click to attack but it isn't as if you can stand there and mash attack and win. You still need to dodge, parry, or block and subsequently your attacks can be dodged, parried, or blocked by the opponent. Fight an orc in G2 then go fight a lizard man (the functional equivalent of an orc) in Risen on hard -- the give and take is basically the same. The only arguably 'derpy' part of Risen combat is that shields are grossly overpowered because you can block endlessly as there is no stamina mechanics.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/risen-is-the-best-gothic-game.57210/

My thoughts on the combat:

Combat. Oh god the fucking combat! How could they go from something so shitty in the first three games to something so good? At least for melee combat I am sure of this; never played as a flaming faggot. Anyway, this is definitely the biggest improvement, and a vital one too. Gothic games have a lot of combat, and they all turn into combat slogs in the end. Having good combat in Risen means that the ending combat section of the game is still moderately fun as opposed to "oh god please let this game end."

So what was so great about it? Well, basically the fact that there's a lot more that you can do. There are ten levels to each weapon skill, and each one gives you something that is important. There are your basic combos, but after that there are lateral blows, and charge-up attacks, and parries and counter-parries, and then more elaborate combos. In addition timing is very important in chaining combos; do it right and they'll be faster, but it's quite tricky. All of these things make combat interesting and more dynamic, meaning it rarely gets boring. In fact I'd say it's the best melee combat in an ARPG that I've encountered. In addition the enemies aren't retarded, and the humanoid ones have all these skills too and will use them on you. They will block, parry, and counter-attack frequently. And finally that retarded stunlock is gone! I can't begin to describe how much of a relief that is. In addition multiple enemies will always try to flank you and work well together, meaning you have to constantly keep repositioning yourself to keep them in front.

And no trash mobs! Yeah, I'm referring to the hordes and hordes of enemies that the previous Gothic games liked to throw at you in the final stages. That's pretty much gone. It's definitely quality over quantity here. In fact fighting more than three or four of the lizardmen enemies (which are your late game badasses) is pretty rare. So there's less of them, but as I said above, these guys are of the strictly non-fucking around variety. Much more enjoyable this way. There are a few instances where you do fight larger numbers, but in those cases you have a companion(s). It's really like night and day.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
First things first, it sounds like world interaction has been watered down in a fashion very close to The Witcher games.
No jump, no ability to climb everywhere, free camera in combat? These are changes that go in the very opposite direction of what I hoped, to be honest.
In fact, if anything, I was hoping for CD Projekt to take Risen as a model for their next games, not the other way around.
Being able to sneak, jump and climb anywhere, without invisible walls or unlikely architectural barriers, was for me a very big part of the immersion in Risen and in Gothic.

http://forum.deepsilver.com/forum/showthread.php/60778-Disappointing-news-about-world-interaction

I... uh... yeah... this might just about kill any notion of pre ordering for me. If true, sad to see them embrace the crappy on-rails approach to world design prevalent in games like the Witcher series.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
What exactly does "climbing" mean in this usage? Ability to walk up steep hills? As far as I remember there is no climbing animation.

Jumping on the other hand...that's a bad omission.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Sucks if true.

@ Dicksmoker: climbing as in reaching hard to reach places was a lot of fun in Gothic 2. I certainly hoped for more of that in Risen 2. Also, the link mentions that there is no swimming either, which would be ridiculous in a pirate RPG (if true, they are probably trying to make sure that you can't reach other islands before the game lets you).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom