Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me a game

PanteraNera

Arcane
Have played NEO Scavenger extensively when it was still in early-access, thanks for reminding me to play it again :).

Modron

Arcane
I would give Blackguards a shot it's a pretty fun tactics game, if you actually enjoyed Kotor 1 you might give the Drakensang The River of the Time a shot (the first game is okayish but the sequel was a step up in quality), the Game of Thrones RPG, and you've made no mention of Witcher 1 but I'll assume you've played it. Maybe give Summoner a shot?

Prelude to Darkness was actually a pretty good rpg see if it runs on your system.

Since you mentioned the GTA games give Bully a shot if you haven't already. Saints Row 2/3 are decent.

You made no mention of Bloodlines in your initial post but I will assume this was just a minor lapse on your part.

Kind of hard to fill in the blanks of what others have already mentioned.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
3. UFO: Enemy Unknown

Have you tried the XPiratez mod for it yet? Work in progress, but playable to the end, lots of new stuff, different premise (the aliens have won, you're a gang of mutant amazon sky-pirates), quite complex, very much not-casual.

Falksi

Arcane

Have you tried the XPiratez mod for it yet? Work in progress, but playable to the end, lots of new stuff, different premise (the aliens have won, you're a gang of mutant amazon sky-pirates), quite complex, very much not-casual.

Just had a gander at that, looks mint. I'm an old technophobe fart, so annoying questions now I'm afraid.

Where's best to get it from?

Also, to install & set it up, is this guide about right?........

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/29659-how-to-install-a-mod-from-the-steam-workshop/

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Just had a gander at that, looks mint. I'm an old technophobe fart, so annoying questions now I'm afraid.

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/29659-how-to-install-a-mod-from-the-steam-workshop/

I don't know what that Steam workshop malarkey is. This is the official forum, and this is the thread with up-to-date download link. Just the follow the instructions in the download.

Falksi

Arcane

I don't know what that Steam workshop malarkey is. This is the official forum, and this is the thread with up-to-date download link. Just the follow the instructions in the download.

Nice one. Thanks muchly chap, much appriciated :)

PanteraNera

Arcane
I would give Blackguards a shot it's a pretty fun tactics game, if you actually enjoyed Kotor 1 you might give the Drakensang The River of the Time a shot (the first game is okayish but the sequel was a step up in quality), the Game of Thrones RPG, and you've made no mention of Witcher 1 but I'll assume you've played it. Maybe give Summoner a shot?
Wow Blackguards, never heard of it thanks! I had played the first Drakensang, and than I had enough of fantasy again ;). Maybe I check out The River of the Time as well.
Loved Witcher 1 :D.

Since you mentioned the GTA games give Bully a shot if you haven't already.
Bully was a really great game, by surprise, I just checked it out because it was from Rockstar ;)

Saints Row 2/3 are decent.
Played the first, was okaish, but not my genre anymore :)

You made no mention of Bloodlines in your initial post but I will assume this was just a minor lapse on your part.
You assumed right again ;). Really loved Bloodlines

Kind of hard to fill in the blanks of what others have already mentioned.
I should have made a full list with games I already played ;).

Mostly I am looking for games in a modern, post-apocalyptic or science-fiction setting. I do like to play some fantasy games, if they are great, or in lack of games in my favorite genres ;).

As no one mentioned it I have played Star Wolves its an pause strategy game with RPG elements in space, its not that well known, and my memories are not the best, but I remember that I really had fun with this one. Its not one of the BEST GAMES I ever played, but oh well these are not getting made anymore ;) as it seems.

Also there is Skyshines Bedlam, was promising but its pretty boring.

I am going to check out Krai Mir, Marauder, Impact Winter, ICY.

Will give Wasteland 2, Dead State another try ;) as there is nothing closer to what I want in a game.

Also I give Risen a try.

Have played some Incubation in the mean time and damn, this game is still fun but well I played it as a kid, probably just being nostalgic ;).

PanteraNera

Arcane

Hehe yes I have tried it out, but than I had the urge to play UFO: Enemy Unknown again :D. I really like XPiratez and have to play it more ;)

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Templar Battleforce is pretty good despite being made by mobile devs.
Very WH40k-ish setting.

There's also old Chaos Gate if you want play with actual space marines.

Neither is JA2 or X-COM tier, but both are solid games.

cowking

Scholar
Temple of Elemental Evil with CO8 and temple+, kinda surprised it's not mentioned already.

I also think you might enjoy Disciples 2 at least for a few playthroughs. It's not a game that will entertain you for hundreds of hours due to lack of complexity, but it's blast for an addicting playthrough. Once I started playing I went like 15 hours straight.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom