Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vendetta: Curse of Raven's Cry - open world pirate action-RPG from Two Worlds developer

Trip81

Novice
:lol::lol: You don't even know what you don't know.

:hero:
And you cant handle other opinions :) you think you can and you think you are cool and what not. But its very clear that you just cant. Its all over this forum not just in this thread.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
:lol::lol: You don't even know what you don't know.

:hero:
And you cant handle other opinions :) you think you can and you think you are cool and what not. But its very clear that you just cant. Its all over this forum not just in this thread.
If you want to discuss the tone on this forum, you should go to the Site Feedback section. This is the thread for the game Raven's Cry.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Oh we can handle other opinions, but when you just post shit, nobody cares and we will throw it back at you.

Trip81

Novice
Oh we can handle other opinions, but when you just post shit, nobody cares and we will throw it back at you.
Oh ok then lets argue. If i talk shit snd you know it better this must be really easy for you.if you want all of yoz can argue. So the whole thread against this dumbfuq of newcomer who just started playing games with a shit opinion that doesnt know what hes talking about who is somebodys alt.

So lets start the dumbfuq says

Gothic 1 had a very shitty hitbox even for 2001 standarts. So whats your counter besides im a dumbfuq?

Morkar Left

I disagree with Gothic having shit combat but it's not the first time it gets criticised on the dex.

Trip81

Novice
I disagree with Gothic having shit combat but it's not the first time it gets criticised on the dex.
Some reasin for that would be nice. Like i said the hitbox is shit. Sp you say no it isn't?

Trip81

Novice
Oh the posts got deleted. I think this is very good. So we can start again.
Gothic has a shitty hitbox. The impact is broken. The controls are clunky abd oversteer. The animations are bad. The combat design is bad.

Ravens cry isnt very good but the combat is way better than that. So two hours until my holydays lets see if even one could proof me wrong.
Don't worry we germans are always prepared for more.

Trip81

Novice
Gothic has a shitty hitbox. The impact is broken.
Yes.

The controls are clunky abd oversteer.
On a pad maybe.

The animations are bad.
The horror.

The combat design is bad.
It is well designed in fact. You start as a weak dude who has trouble fighting, then as you improve your skill you gain better movesets allowing you to fight more powerful enemies. Also the combat isn't just mindless button smashing, just taking several enemies at once is challenging enough.

Now tell me, how Raven's Cry is better?

I cant quote like you so i hope you can follow me. First of all as long as i know there never was a gothic part on a console and there never was a controller combatibility in gothic. Maybe im wrong but i dont remember. So if im right than i dont get it why you even talk about a controller. The controls on the pc are clunky and oversteer.

So whats better in ravens cry? The impact in this game doesn't always fit abd react but way better than in gothic. Thr impact in gothic is just a joke.
The controls dont oversteer like in gothic.All the you got more attack move speech is very nice but in reality gothic and risen have the same problem like the new game lords of the fallen. The animations doesn't fit in the enemy mechanic. Play lords of the fallen with daggers and you immediatly will now what i mean. You could end gothic 1 with the first attack if you want. And you hast could smash forward its enough to end this game.The animations in ravens cry fit way better in the flow of combat. It just does. As bad as the combat is its not as bad as gothic.

And the hitbox is something you coulf call hitbox. Even influating (doesnt know if it is the right word) the way yourenemy dies/falls

Last edited:

Trip81

Novice
I cant quote like you so i hope you can follow me. First of all as long as i know there never was a gothic part on a console and there never was a controller combatibility in gothic. Maybe im wrong but i dont remember. So if im right than i dont get it why you even talk about a controller. The controls on the pc are clunky and oversteer.

I was just mocking you for using consoles.

Also you get used to the controls after thirty minutes. They may be clunky but they let you aim your strikes, change the frequency, etc.
So I don't see why the controls being clunky means the combat is shit.

So whats better in ravens cry? The impact in this game doesn't always fit abd react but way better than in gothic. Thr impact in gothic is just a joke.
The controls dont oversteer like in gothic.All the you got more attack move speech is very nice but in reality gothic and risen have the same problem like the new game lords of the fallen. The animations doesn't fit in the enemy mechanic. Play lords of the fallen with daggers and you immediatly will now what i mean. You could end gothic 1 with the first attack if you want. And you hast could smash forward its enough to end this game.The animations in ravens cry fit way better in the flow of combat. It just does. As bad as the combat is its not as bad as gothic.

And the hitbox is something you coulf call hitbox. Even influating (doesnt know if it is the right word) the way yourenemy dies/falls

I don't really understood what you meant.

The way I see it, all the things you call shit in Gothic are superficial, they don't really affect the overall design nor the ejoyment of the combat.
Mocking for playing on consoles? Is this some master race like bullshit? We have enough of that in the german forums. I hope you didnt't mean that.

The last thing i trie to explain it to you. If i hit an enemy with a strike and a game provide a long repertoire on moves there should be an ability (in the best way an impact himself) that gives me an oppurtunity to use this moves. If a game doesn't have that its called button smashing. This us absolut important for good combat. Thr more complex this get (in a good way) the better the combat system and vice versa.

And ravens cry is more spot on inthid point. You just cant talk around that.

Angthoron

Arcane
But remember, we're a friendly community of carebears,

You'll have to update your navigation software, you've taken a wrong turn somewhere. This is the CO..DEX.
For someone named SarcasticUndertones, you sure are bad at spotting sarcastic undertones :(

Also, I gotta hand it to Trip81, he's singlehandedly elevating this year's codexian trolling average from a meager :1/5: to a respectable :3/5:

Rock on, dude.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Gothic has a shitty hitbox. The impact is broken. The controls are clunky abd oversteer. The animations are bad. The combat design is bad.
I disagree. Gothic's combat is different to most ARPGs and feels clunky initially, but after you get the hang of it, you start to appreciate its design, because it provides a good blend of character and player skill, just as a proper ARPG should do. I always die a lot in Gothic (1/2/Risen1) games, but I rarely feel like it was the game's fault - usually it is just me getting impatient, or misjudinging an attack/block, or just trying to take on an enemy, who is too strong for my Nameless Hero at the time.

Yeah, ok, it does not look as awesome as in Shadow of Mordor and strikes do not feel impactful, but that is not really the focus here. What it wants to do, it does really well.

Last edited:

Angthoron

Arcane
Yup. G1/2/R1 world exploration works, it's well designed, the monsters and the humanoids are all different enough AI-wise, graphics/UI are all on the level of their time (G2 looked great, Risen 1 looked great), quest design is solid enough, atmosphere is gud, world design is v.gud. Controls... Yeah, they take some time to get used to, but it's not exactly like playing unpatched Souls games with KB + M. Trying to criticize Gothic games, even without considering the time gap between them and RC in order to shift blame from Raven's Cry is pretty damn stupid.

If you really want to compare same weight categories, go for Risen 3, Arcania, KoA, Bound by Flame, War Logs: Mars; TDE: Demonicon and such. They're all recent ARPGs, and some of them are low-budget enough for you to be able to find some positive reinforcements to your points, Trippin' man.

Angthoron

Arcane
Trip81
1) What exactly is wrong with the hitboxes? Can't recall much issue with them that are so different from regular ARPG fare. You said you're experienced with RPGs, you should know. Conversely, are Raven's Cry hitboxes actually better, and if so, in what way? Can you target body parts with proper results? Are headshots a thing?
2) Impact? This is a 2001 ARPG. What other ARPGs can you list from the era that have a proper impact, besides Rune and DBtS?
3) Again, 2001. Still the era of "RPGs don't need to look good". There are exceptions to this rule, but overall, combat animations are pretty terrible throughout the period. As an expert, you should probably know. G2 has massive improvements in graphics, by the way, pretty much across the board, from animations to textures.
4) Judging from 1, 2 and 3, you likely cannot into period-comparing and context.
5) On the positive side, while having pussied out as an ethnicity, at least the Germans retain their abysmal sense of humour or absence thereof. Obviously I don't mean the state of Germany raiding the Roman Empire.
6) I'm really mad, yeah, you totally managed to strike a nerve. Rarrrgh.
7) At least you're not leaving, whew, I couldn't have lived with the knowledge of driving off a quality poster.
8) Have a nice trip!

Trip81

Novice
Trip81
1) What exactly is wrong with the hitboxes? Can't recall much issue with them that are so different from regular ARPG fare. You said you're experienced with RPGs, you should know. Conversely, are Raven's Cry hitboxes actually better, and if so, in what way? Can you target body parts with proper results? Are headshots a thing?
2) Impact? This is a 2001 ARPG. What other ARPGs can you list from the era that have a proper impact, besides Rune and DBtS?
3) Again, 2001. Still the era of "RPGs don't need to look good". There are exceptions to this rule, but overall, combat animations are pretty terrible throughout the period. As an expert, you should probably know. G2 has massive improvements in graphics, by the way, pretty much across the board, from animations to textures.
4) Judging from 1, 2 and 3, you likely cannot into period-comparing and context.
5) On the positive side, while having pussied out as an ethnicity, at least the Germans retain their abysmal sense of humour or absence thereof. Obviously I don't mean the state of Germany raiding the Roman Empire.
6) I'm really mad, yeah, you totally managed to strike a nerve. Rarrrgh.
7) At least you're not leaving, whew, I couldn't have lived with the knowledge of driving off a quality poster.
8) Have a nice trip!
oh mann i don't wanna be the reason you can't sleep tonight

1) the hitboxes dont' exist and there is no result in hittung other parts. yes in raven's cry they exist and even influance the way your enemy fall. not very good but its there.
2)first of all rune an Arpg? are you kidding me? here and right now i should stop answering you. i really should but you know what im not nearly that kind of bad guy all you try so hard to let me look like. so you want some games with better impact? espacially Arpgs?why 2001 its toooo easy. how about Zelda the ocarine of time from 1998? if rune is a ARPG Zelda two times is. isn't it?
Or to answer your question propably. even fuckiny Kings Field has better impact in thei games than gothic. the only ropgs with worse impact are mmorpgs.

3)i dont't have problems with the animations itself. the animations of the moves doesn't fit in the mechanic. the duration is wrong the impact isn't there so there is nothing like fight and react. its just stupid parry parry hack hack hack.
5) dude this is even more emberassing. Germany pussieung out. what a history expert you are-. thumbs ub. i know you have your bros here and what not but i see through that. you don't know what you are talking about. the third time i laughed because of you thx alot.
6)yes you are. i can smell it.
7)believe you will love me. why? you won't win even one discusion. you will try again and again. mabye you will ignore me. but not even one ;)
8) im at home relaxing watching tv. but thx.

Angthoron

Arcane
Trip81
1) Hm, cool, I guess? Does it affect their behaviour, like damage to arm/leg crippling a limb?
2) I was trying to give you positive examples of hitboxes done well in melee combat, duckling. But yeah, you should probably stop responding to me if that's your level of responding, it's really powerful and I feel very defeated. Zelda? Maybe, I haven't played console games since 1996 though. I thought we're talking PC ARPGs here. 3rd person PC ARPGs of the period are pretty bad with hitboxes. Console ARPGs do probably have better hitboxes and timing though, yup. You got me there, tiger.
3) Uh, I don't recall mis-timings in animation/connection being too much of an issue, especially in G2. G1, maybe, can't remember too well, but if I'm not raging about it, probably wasn't so bad. YMMV I guess.
5-7) :lol:
8) You need a long vacation from the internet, guy.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I just spent 2 hours to download and install all Gothic 3 patches:
G3
CP1.75
QP4.2 + Update (http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum...1#post18870844)
CM2.6.2

Entered game and tried to kill one Orc then ... fucking uninstalled. The combat is completely shit.

Whoever said that G3 combat was fixed is just a liar or ... a retard.

Fun fact: PB answer on G3 patching was "We haven't been responsible for Gothic 3 or any patches since Jowood ordered us to give them the source code and afterwards delete it."

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Angthoron
GET OFF THE 'DEX AND RECTIFY THIS FAILING IMMEDIATELY.

Hell I'd gift it to you from gog if that's what it takes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom