Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

R4 demo bugs and problems report thread

hiver

First some immediate impressions:

Game runs smooth like a baby bottom. Im getting 40 to 50-55 frames on my old rig with high res, anitaliasing and anisotropic turned on. Though i didnt try HDR or SSAO on account of my old GPU.
Also an old Amd 64 X2 4000+ - 2,1 ghz, 4 gigs of ram and DX11 on win7 64

3CVmIEz.jpg

So on better machines it will run easily with all options maxed out - i would think.

I like the new character creation screen separated into two, the character looks and background and the second separate skills screen.

I also like the new mechanics that provide some synergy between main attributes and combat/civil skills. (maybe you should rename the "general skills" into "civil skills" - to fit with the explanation given?)
The descriptions of skill levels are very funny.

On the other hand i suspect it will provide a lot of confusion for many players, especially those not use to old school RPGs like this.
Not that im an RPG mechanics expert myself but i have a reasonable amount of experience with games like this and it still got me scratching my head a few times too - at first. Though it isnt so difficult to adapt to after a few minutes.
But that shouldnt be a problem to explain better.

It does easily lead into this situation:
DOBoFrW.jpg

-edit- which looks a bit weird.

And into situation where you have 5 or 10 skill points left in combat skill pool but you cannot invest them in your primary skills anymore.

I guess the only solution is to invest these five/ten points into an appropriate secondary weapon that provides some small synergy bonus to the primary weapon skill - like this:
JN8Ecgz.jpg

But i have to point out that the significance of this second row of numbers is not quite clear... what does it really do?

I started as assassin this time. Chose a spear.
The opening scene for this background works very well. You can jump to the trader easily and there is no problems in doing that or going back to the task at hand. It all transitions smoothly.
And there was a spear in my inventory.
When i finished trading i would equip the spear and a net in my hands.

But there is a big problem in that however i set up my constitution i always started that first fight with 25 HP.
I tried two times. First times i had 40HP in my character screen and during the opening and that first trading option, the other 35. Yet both times i started the fight in the inn with 25HP.

Another problem is this:

JBJsp8V.jpg

I didnt have any crossbow in my inventory before this. Nor do i have any skills with it.

Then i get the three options:
qI2AWGZ.jpg

And if i choose this first one - i start the combat with a crossbow in my hands - while i dont have any skills with it.

If i choose the dexterity/critical strike option (my dex is 12 and i have 2 points in CS) - i failed both times i tried it, after which i would found myself like this:

UPIoDfF.jpg

Though my original equipment is in the inventory. The problem is, of course, being forced to start the combat either with crossbow i didnt choose at all or bare handed - which forces me to waste APs to access my inventory.

/

I tried the mercenary, no HP loss and no weapon switching, of course - since there is no encounter design reason to do so.

BUT
when the fight starts:
CLQySDr.jpg

The fix is to rotate the camera, then you get the normal picture.

Although... my THC seems a bit too low, considering the stats i made. Even the fast attack gives me just 47%. is that how it should be?

Last edited by a moderator:

hiver

Apology appreciated but not really needed. Thats not a big problem for me, since just rotating the camera quickly fixes it - apparently.

What about changing my weapon when i play as assassin and forcing me to start combat empty handed if i choose the third option and fail? Or with a crossbow i havent invested a skill point into? Or with reducing my HP to 25?
Couldnt that whole part be done just through text adventure - with the weapon any player chooses?

you need the console log for that?

Again, its not just a problem for me. Its not that im just complaining. Its the problem for the game. Im pointing out something you guys should fix for the game sake. For your sake.
btw, to repeat - with assassin who has very similar stats as the mercenary i get 75% THC and above (head shot was about 68 or 63%) while with mercenary its 47% at most for the fast shot/strike.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
What about changing my weapon when i play as assassin and forcing me to start combat empty handed if i choose the third option and fail? Or with a crossbow i havent invested a skill point into? Or with reducing my HP to 25?
The crossbow is for the narrative and dramatic effect. Hard to miss at close range too and less messy than cutting the trader's throat.

You aren't forced to use the crossbow or to throw it at the merc. You can choose to reload it, take a shot at the merc from a distance (you might get lucky) if you feel like it and then safely change weapons while the merc is still far away.

btw, to repeat - with assassin who has very similar stats as the mercenary i get 75% THC and above (head shot was about 68 or 63%) while with mercenary its 47% at most for the fast shot/strike.
The merc is a local bum (see the description in the merc vignette), the assassin is an experienced fighter who gives you a chance to walk away. You want to be a hero? It's on you.

hiver

The narrative and dramatic effects are both undermined by forcing the player to use the weapon they have no skill in using - and that he didnt have in the inventory at all - without any warning at all - which is contrary to the whole game design.
It forces the player to choose only that first option (yes i figured out i can just switch to my weapons while im still far away), out of three (yes i can choose to end that without fighting but i am an assassin there, not a hero).

Let me just shortly remind you that you are not talking with one of those crybabies who complain because they got killed. I love it. Every time i get my ass handed back to me i go "yaaay!"
I know i will be able to kill the mercenary anyway, with a bit more thinking and different tactics - thats also not a problem.
Even with magically reduced HP - which i gather or presume you understand is a bug and something you will fix.

The way this plays out is absolutely wrong and achieves an effect contrary to what you want to achieve with that scene.

-edit-
The merc is a local bum (see the description in the merc vignette), the assassin is an experienced fighter who gives you a chance to walk away. You want to be a hero? It's on you.

Well, it does come out as a bit weird, and hard to innately grasp without someone explaining it directly like you just did - considering that when im playing the assassin then im the bum and the merc is supposedly better then when i play the merc.
Notch it down as minor thing. I can accept that but i expect you will get that same question a lot of times, especially when the demo goes out on Steam.

I would say that its always better if the game clears such things, rather then having to ask the dev whats really going on.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Let me just shortly remind you that you are not talking with one of those crybabies who complain because they got killed. I love it. Every time i get my ass handed back to me i go "yaaay!"
I know i will be able to kill the mercenary anyway, with a bit more thinking and different tactics - thats also not a problem.
Even with magically reduced HP - which i gather or presume you understand is a bug and something you will fix.

The way this plays out is absolutely wrong and achieves an effect contrary to what you want to achieve with that scene.
I know. I added it to the 'glaring issues' list the moment you mentioned it.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Tested the assassin. Stats: 8,8,7,7,6,6, default axe. Fast attack - 68%THC. Switched to power attacks (48%THC), 2 hits, 2 misses. The hits took him to almost dead. Switched to fast attacks and finished him off on the first try. Had 17HP left.

hiver

Oh hey, thats not a problem. Maybe i didnt explain right. When i play the assassin i have a much higher THC against the merc - then when i play the mercenary, with very similar stats. I guess it could be due to fighting a more experienced assassin when i am the mercenary. Its just that the difference was quite big, especially seeing how my mercenary char got 5 axe skill points while my assassin char had 4 in Spear. And it was the (my) assassin who had higher THC...

So, just at the first look the difference seemed really big.

Also, when you start with the assassin do you get only 25HP in the first fight?

Also, could you quickly explain what those synergy skill numbers on the right in the weapon (combat skills) section in the CS actually do? Its not the same value as the actual skill points i invested into the weapon on the left, right? If i have five points in a spear and one point in synergy column... what does it mean? Does it mean i have six skill points altogether or... not?

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Also, could you quickly explain what those synergy skill numbers on the right in the weapon (combat skills) section in the CS actually do? Its not the same value as the actual skill points i invested into the weapon on the left, right? If i have five points in a spear and one point in synergy column... what does it mean? Does it mean i have six skill points altogether or... not?

THC Bonus when using that weapon. We need to update the character screen with the new concepts.

hiver

Yeah i managed to figure its some sort of "attack bonus" few minutes ago, just didnt know exactly what kind. Thats all going into "AoD for absolute beginners guide", just so you know.
Also, just to remind you guys to change "General skills" for "Civil skill" as its new point pool now called when youre creating the character.

- A Question: above i posted a screenshot of a moment in CS where the game "suddenly" doesnt let me lower one of the attributes (at 8 points) for a single point - unless i lower one of the combat skills for five points. Its not some problem but..er.. how come?
- edit - i mean, i get why is that happening (to avoid allowing the player to create too many combat points), but i dont quite understand why is that happening in the way it is presented... couldnt you make that automatic?

Also - i think i discovered where the problem of magically disappearing HP happens. When i play the assassin - and i chose the option to try and lunge at the mercenary that uses Dex and CS - thats when my HP gets lowered to 25.
But when i choose the first option of just reloading the crossbow and trying to hit the guard - then the HP stays as it should be at 35.
When i have full 35 HP the fight is almost easy.
And i killed the merc with 25HP too. I have very high THC with 4 points in spear and when i tangle him in the net its 95 for all attacks.

I played that section again few times, trying the merc and assassin. When im the Merc i still get only 46% THC and thats without the helmet. (almost killed the fucker anyway! Just one miss away!!!! but he dodged being almost dead and then got attack of opportunity - which turned out to be a CRIT!!! aaaghh that was awesome.)

-also - frame rate drops to about 25 when i go out in the city and zoom out as far as i can but thats just going back to normal FPS range for my rig.

also...i should stop using also so much. hmm..

hiver

Really? oh for fuck sake... all that .. arghhh!! (a few moments passes in contemplation of facepalming myself with a fist)
-ahhh...

- Ok... I would have never figured that out. Ten points seems excessive for the mere "pommel hit". The way i read it it seemed to me like some description of a defensive move and that he just knocked the crossbow out of my hands. Secondly - hitting me with the pommel of the sword doesnt really seem like it belongs to AoD setting, unless i was tied down and someone was doing it to torture me longer.

You guys could have atleast made it clear he hit me for 10 points of damage.
Changing the written description into something "he swiftly moves to the side and slashes with his sword wounding you" or something like it, would help make this clearer.

Though the best thing would be to remove that whole crossbow stunt completely.

hiver

Some smaller stuff i ran into:
Inventory:

The section on the right from the character, where the overall weight is displayed, shows damage range of a weapon in the hand slot only when you put weapon in one specifc hand. When you pick the weapon up and put it into another hand that screen just shows zero/zero.
If i go to alchemy and crafting screen then back it seems the effect just shifts to a different hand. At first the left hand didnt show any damage, then after fiddling with alchemy and crafting it was the right hand that didnt display any damage range of a weapon.
If both hands hold different weapons - only the damage range of one weapon is displayed regardless of actually clicking the other weapon in the other hand or switching their places.

If i put a two handed weapon and then replace it with a simple bronze hasta - the damage shown is incorrect again - and then when i move the hasta to the other hand, damage disappears and appears when weapon is placed into a different hand - again.

This also changes depending in which hand you are holding the weapon when you open, or close - open the inventory.
In that case the hand which originally held the weapon shows the damage range, while when you move it to the other - you get 0/0.

When i try crafting - it seems i cannot remove the weapon i put into the crafting slot. Only replace it with another. Or close the screen.

878aLxT.jpg
FvZXKZK.jpg

cdPJwvZ.jpg
AhuBVsU.jpg

Coje2fN.jpg

The two sections below the character "paper doll" are displaying the stats of weapons correctly when you mouse over.

Question: What is the AP little counter to the right of character head?

/

When trading any stacked items the little screen that pops up where you select the numbers you want to sell is a placeholder. Right?

When in combat and i go into inventory to change weapons the similar placeholder buttons on the right to confirm your choice are hard to notice.
I was changing weapons as usual many times - only to see nothing has changed when i would go out of the inventory and back to the fight.
I almost reported that as a bug since i didnt know that mechanic was changed and the buttons can easily be looked over - most of all because they are so out of style of the rest of the interface.

When you make the appropriate art to replace these placeholder buttons i suggest adding a bit of background glow to them, or making them bigger or something else to make them more noticeable.

/

main options screen:

I went to reload then accidentally clicked on "New Game". The first screen where you can choose the awesome or normal difficulty cannot be escaped from. You are forced to start the new game, go through characer cretion screen and actually start a new game to be able to get the main options again.

Would be nice if ESC could stop that and bring you back to the main options from the "awesome-normal" screen.

Helton

Arcane
Question: What is the AP little counter to the right of character head?

Do you mean on the character screen where it says "Max AP"? If so, that's the action points you will have unless hindered by armor restrictions.

hiver

No, the other one, but i figured that out.

The AP COST - one.
This one is used only in combat to show you how much changing the weapon or some other action in inventory will cost.
Here on this pic you can see it in action - its just that the numbers are displayed out of it - probably because of higher resolution.

DQdM5MJ.jpg

oh yeah, the body seems to be missing.

hiver

Thats all small stuff, but i run into this one:

AaIqKB4.jpg

look at the combat log.

I have a save right infront of the other Loremaster that Feng sends me to get rid off.
I loaded it up to see if that "AP count" does anything in combat.

So i went outside of the tavern and tried to start the fight with the merchant and his guard.

I tried to trick him to pay me for "bad license" for trading and failed - without any consequence. I suppose thats alright?
The i tried to pickpocket him - he caught me - and there was no consequence either. That doesnt seem alright.
Then i just attacked his guard.

First, my THC is insanely high for my stats. Even special targeted strikes give me 95% chance while only aiming for the head gives me 89% - even though he is wearing a helmet.

The actual bug is, as you can see in the screenshots, that after i attacked him and spent all my APs - the combat stopped and there was no further consequences. I could still trade with the merchant.

Then i started combat again, hit the guard a few more times but didnt spend all of my APs - with two left. When i clicked the icon to end my turn the guard responded appropriately but missed. Then it was my turn again and same thing kept happening.
If i spend all of my APs in a turn - combat stops. If i get left with a couple of APs and click "end turn" icon then the combat continues.
I killed the guard which was very easy with such crazy high THC - the combat ended and i could still trade with the merchant.

Then i attacked the merchant, hit him - and the combat stopped - and i could still trade with him.

RZFZrIW.jpg

lpC4IfF.jpg

my stats are: 8-10-5-8-5-4

4 spear + 1 synergy
dodge 3 and CS 2

hiver

Didnt even check. Try doing it with another build and see what happens.

- all loot is good loot.
:P

-edit-

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Haven't had too much time to play yet, but I did notice that custom names are displayed uncapitalised in dialogue and overhead speech (i.e. "kalin" instead of "Kalin" and so forth).

In addition, some text tend to overlap the borders in character creation, and in the crafting window, some item descriptions (one of the mid-tier spears and some armour if memory serves) are too long and thus end up getting cut off. When I encountered these minor issues I was running the 16:10 1280×800 resolution.

I really like the new environment descriptions, they quite remind me of those in Planescape: Torment, and it is nice to see the names over characters now. However, the character highlighting is a bit misleading as all named NPCs appear to be interactable. I would suggest changing it so that the cursor only becomes illuminated while hovering over interactable NPCs.

Finally, a super nitpicking banal issue not related to this version as such: with high throw skill, shouldn't it be possible to actually hit the preacher with the stone for a satisfying squishy impact and, say, double reputation loss?

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Transitioning from Teron to Maadoran with the thieves leads to a black screen with the hub after a loading screen for Maadoran. Centering on location doesn't work, but I can go into combat mode. I can't save or access the main menu however.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Transitioning from Teron to Maadoran with the thieves leads to a black screen with the hub after a loading screen for Maadoran. Centering on location doesn't work, but I can go into combat mode. I can't save or access the main menu however.
Open the console (usually the tilde key) and type:

dlgfinish();
then
sd(MDN_arrivalTG);

That should fix it. We've already fixed it on our end, along with other reported issues, and a new build will be uploaded today or tomorrow. Apologies for the inconvenience.

hiver

If i start the quest with refugees at the gate, but dont give money for them or decide anything else at that moment - then go back to the town and take another quest for someone, either my faction or Feng or anyone else - and then return to the gate everyone is still there but they are all unresponsive and that side quest then cannot be solved.

is that intended like that, for some reason or not?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom