Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pre-2000 Proofs of Decline?

Destroid

Arcane
How about syndicate wars?

Syndicate Wars is good.

Honestly, after watching a lot of Matt Chat, I suspect a large portion of the switch to 3d problems came from 3d being forced upon a generation of artists and designers who had done nothing but 2d up to that point. They were not experienced technically or otherwise with how to exploit it and their output took a real nosedive in quality as a result.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I just remenbere perhaps the most declined title of the 90's:

King%27s_Quest_-_Mask_of_Eternity_Coverart.jpg

Yeah, let's turn King Quest into a 3D action game... I should try to find a interview on this.

Luzur

Good Sir
the only thing i came come up with are all those "interactive" multi-media CD movies/games they crunched out in the 90's.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Yeah, let's turn King Quest into a 3D action game... I should try to find a interview on this.

Oh, there's plenty of post-mortem whining from Roberta Williams about this title, if you search for it.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Games that benefitted from going from 2D to 3D?

Duke Nukem 3D.
Ultima Underworld.

Possibly Lemmings 3D, though it's been a while.

Some might say Heretic 2 and/or Hexen 2, but I haven't played them, so no comment.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

I never went far. I remember playing it a bit, stumbling to a scene where you see some monster shitting in uh, the shitter, and the hero cutting the throat of a monster from behind, and uninstalling it.

Telengard

Arcane
Ken Williams and Cris Matthews KQ8 quotes:
-Ken Williams, CEO of Sierra-Online, InterAction, Fall 1996, pg 10

KQ8 will be 3d ... the design goal was to be 1/2 Super Mario 64 and 1/2
Kings Quest. The characters are 99% new, although the setting is still
Daventry. There is a bunch about the game in InterAction, and also, if
you can, try to see the video that is on the Roberta Williams Anthology
CD. It shows some of KQ8, but most interesting is hearing Roberta talk
about the game. I'm hoping I can think of a way to get the video into
wide distribution -- for people that already own most of Roberta's games
it isn't worth buying the anthology just to see the video -- but, it is
definitely worth seeing.

Chris Matthews quoting his dad's thoughts in spring 1997 on why King's Quest had to evolve in the market (Interaction, Spring 1997);

"The traditional adventure game is dead."...it's time to change adventure games at least as much as the gamers themselves have changed over the last few years. It's time to make them "less pretentious. More open-ended, faster paced, and just more fun to play than they have been." After all..., "what's the use of creating these super-serious, overly literary, and downright studious games when the major audience that will play them played a Nintendo or a Sega last year? These folks are used to playing games where the correct answer to any problem might be jumping over something, hitting it with a hammer, or maybe even shooting it with a big bazooka. Why hassle through all the literary pretense when most of today's gamers just want to blow something up."

2003? Ken admitted had he continued Sierra would have stopped producing 'adventure games' (at least in the traditional sense altogether);

By the time Sierra was sold, it was mostly a non-game company. In about 1990 I made the decision to focus away from games. This came about as a result of a discussion with Bill Gates himself. It's a bit of a long story, but we had been talking about Sierra and Microsoft doing a project together when I got bold enough to ask Bill if he would ever consider buying Sierra (I had always had tremendous respect for Microsoft, and would have teamed up with them in a minute). His answer changed Sierra's future.

People at Sierra remember this meeting well, because I came back and changed the company dramatically. Bill said that he had just noted the bankruptcy of United Artists. His contention was that they were in a hit driven business, and that ultimately in a hit driven business you run into a time of no hits. Sierra lived and died with the best seller charts. Fortunately, the charts were very good to us, but Bill's contention was they had also been good to United Artists. Ultimately, you run out of hits and die. It might take a hundred years, as was the case with United Artists, but it always happens. My goal with Sierra was to create a company that would live forever. I didn't want to be a "hit machine".

I set a new goal for Sierra to exit the hit business, and reorganized the company around a new vision to be 1/3rd education, 1/3rd productivity and 1/3rd perennial products. The first two categories should be obvious, but the last needs some explaining. My goal was to find products that could be "rev'ed" each year, such as Microsoft's Flight Simulator, or Electronic Arts Madden Football. I wanted to find an array of products that could be done better each year. Flight (and other) Simulators fit this category, as did construction sets. Products like Caesar fit this definition. The Incredible Machine.

By the time the company was sold, I had about 80-90% of revenue that matched my vision. It's not clear that I would have continued in adventure games at all. My guess is that this vision won't make me popular with adventure gamers, but it was working.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
what's the use of creating these super-serious, overly literary, and downright studious games when the major audience that will play them played a Nintendo or a Sega last year? These folks are used to playing games where the correct answer to any problem might be jumping over something, hitting it with a hammer, or maybe even shooting it with a big bazooka. Why hassle through all the literary pretense when most of today's gamers just want to blow something up."
This is wonderfull, thank you. :salute:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow. First time I've seen that. But couldn't you say that Sierra adventure games were sort of "perennial" in their own way?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Wow. First time I've seen that. But couldn't you say that Sierra adventure games were sort of "perennial" in their own way?
Yeah, it's funny to hear that, since the older adventure games are quite "perennial", basically using the same engine and all that... Only in the 90's they started to completly change every release...

Telengard

Arcane
The key is the annual release. Annual release, forever, like sports games have. There's often a major push for that, because it fits so much more neatly into an investment portfolio. Solid, steady, safe annual income.

Currently it's called annualization.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
The key is the annual release. Annual release, forever, like sports games have. There's often a major push for that, because it fits so much more neatly into an investment portfolio. Solid, steady, safe annual income.

Today's "annual releases" are nothing compared to what Sierra was doing in the late 80's and early 90's: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sierra_Entertainment_video_games

Sierra was always about quantity over quality (although their quality was not bad)

LucasArts was about the quality.

Telengard

Arcane
But they never got, say, King's Quest back onto a yearly release schedule after the first couple. The idea is that each and every IP must release a unit every year. In perpetuity.

It's the big thing in investment circles.

Ubisoft are no stranger to the yearly franchise model, the publisher has proven that with the announcement of the third Assassin’s Creed game, Assassin's Creed Revelations, in as many years.

Now they want to bring that model and its success over to other franchises, as CEO Yves Guillemot explained during last week’s annual investor’s call. He said: ”What is impressive with the release year after year of Assassin’s Creed is our ability to deliver every time with a high level of innovation and creativity in a large and very diverse open world. There is no other open world console game that is coming on a yearly basis.

“We are applying the very [same] product template to our other strong franchises to bring them back to Assassin’s Creed blockbuster profitable status.”

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It doesn't work that well on non-EA sports game, they eventually burn out, like the Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk franchises.

Telengard

Arcane
I wholly agree. The idea sucks. And it's wrongheaded. But, it is what Ken Williams was declaring: no more adventure games from Sierra because the IPs can't be annualized. Instead, they were going to concentrate on IPs they thought could be.

Kz3r0

Arcane
By the time Sierra was sold, it was mostly a non-game company. In about 1990 I made the decision to focus away from games. This came about as a result of a discussion with Bill Gates himself. It's a bit of a long story, but we had been talking about Sierra and Microsoft doing a project together when I got bold enough to ask Bill if he would ever consider buying Sierra (I had always had tremendous respect for Microsoft, and would have teamed up with them in a minute). His answer changed Sierra's future.

Oh, look, the same guy that we have to thank for Xbox too.
:x

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Oh, look, the same guy that we have to thank for Xbox too.
:x
I don't think so. Gates hasn't been involved with the business decisions of MS for a long time.

Blame Steve Balmer for that.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Mario Galaxy is still floaty compared to the 2D games. It's just harder to judge distances in 3D, that's why you get a double jump and spend much time running around in wide spaces and jumping on wide platforms. It's the same thing with every 3D platformer. People would ragequit trying to land on platforms as small as some of the ones in Mario 3.

Even without all that, I don't see how 3D is incline.
Crash Bandicoot did some nice things with 3D platforming.

Renegen

Arcane
Very nice quote from Ken Williams. Still, there is some truth in that. You need a steady stream of income to have stable finances, it's the only way to have the company go forward. It's quite an inevitable part of any business, you want it to be predictable and safe and Sierra was turned into that.

What's interesting is that I was a huge Sierra fanboy in the 1990s. I subscribed to their magazine, only downloaded their demos and religiously bought what they advertized. Since Sierra had sort of collapsed later on I tried to research and never found an answer why. All I found were countless re-organizations, layoffs, cancelled games and more layoffs. Now with Ken William's quote it all makes sense. The destruction of Sierra was to accomplish his 1/3 x 3 vision of financial security. By the time it was sold to Activision, Sierra was a shell of a company. I would be interested in knowing what Sierra's revenues were when it was sold to Activision, but I imagine they were less than in its "hit years".

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
What's interesting is that I was a huge Sierra fanboy in the 1990s. I subscribed to their magazine, only downloaded their demos and religiously bought what they advertized. Since Sierra had sort of collapsed later on I tried to research and never found an answer why. All I found were countless re-organizations, layoffs, cancelled games and more layoffs. Now with Ken William's quote it all makes sense. The destruction of Sierra was to accomplish his 1/3 x 3 vision of financial security. By the time it was sold to Activision, Sierra was a shell of a company. I would be interested in knowing what Sierra's revenues were when it was sold to Activision, but I imagine they were less than in its "hit years".

Note that according to Ken, Sierra did not collapse because of his plan for "steady revenue". It collapsed because of the CUC scandal, a hostile takeover by an incompetent con artist who did not follow Ken's plan.

Last edited:

Telengard

Arcane
Resuscitation.

I did remember a lot of reviews from the time, one with my favorite line of "not your dad's rpg", but couldn't remember where I saw them. But I stumbled across this one the other day:

By
Johnny_B
02/01/99
The combat system in the game is truly admirable. Unlike past AD&D games that were turn-based, Baldur's Gate features a real-time engine that uses an ingenious system of pauses. You can pause the game at any time using the space bar and set up several auto-pause options. From here you can give orders and have the sort of precise tactical control that a turn-based system allows, but with the more realistic combat feel of real-time strategy. You can even select group formations in order to tactically position your party. If you are not an RPG regular just think of it as a 2D Myth with much more specialized characters.

Possibly the biggest triumph of Baldur's Gate is its broad appeal. It is the most accessible true RPG I've ever seen. Although it possesses the depth of a true game of AD&D, a novice gamer can play it. You can practically ignore the finer rules of the gaming system, barely glance at the excellent 150 page manual, and still do admirably well. Of course, Baldur's Gate also offers almost unprecedented depth of gameplay and game mechanics for the true AD&D fanatic. Baldur's Gate serves up the best of both worlds.
http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/baldurs-gate

Accessibility and broad appeal are already buzzwords. Immersion was around too. Not to mention Diablo's "Mom test". It's all just a bit further down the line these days, so now it's the Gramma who has to be able to play the game instead of the mom.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom