Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity Released

throwaway

Cipher
I should mention that the game is reviewing extremely well - it's clearly going to be both Obsidian and Paradox's highest rated game ever
I gotta keep an eye on the inevitable butthurt then.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Metacritic gave us this jewels as well
m01PuNF.png

Deleted member 7219

I always knew they had it in them, I've loved them since KOTOR 2, but Pillars of Eternity is the definitive proof that Obsidian can make their own way in the universe.

I'm barely 3 hours in but the game is excellent so far - and full of story and text, which suits me to the bone. I was worried it would be an IWD clone, but no. All the comparisons to BG/IE do the game a disservice, it is so much better.

Obsidian seem to have put care and polish into everything, there is no indication the game was made by a small team on a small budget. Even the interface - something Obsidian have struggled with in previous games - is excellent. If only Wasteland 2 had this level of craftsmanship.

Obsidian have set the bar pretty fucking high, inXile have got a lot to live up to with Torment.

Drowed

Arcane
Blast said:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/291650/discussions/0/618457398961083320/

I'm feeling a little... streamlined.
As a quick disclaimer, I suppose I haven't exactly racked up hours. I haven't precisely invested a massive amount of time.
However, despite the aforementioned I'm feeling a little bit upset by the experience currently presented (queue, 'hater!'). I naturally pick wizard/mage where possible. I greatly enjoy the experience as I believe a wizard is - when prepared and equipped - the greatest force to be reckoned with. A prepared wizard can overcome any obstacle, that a fighter may be inevitably stuck at.

I was so pumped. I know my isometrics, I know my spells. I know what I need - I need to move quick or otherwise they'll tear me apart. I need some reliable defence buff, a little AOE and a little single target.

I walk through the old ruin gates. I know this scenario too well. I can guess what lies ahead. I quickly move my mouse down to my spell tab, at my low level marked only as an 'I' to indicate the level of spell. I proceed to cast my spell of ar-

Wait...
I can't activate my armour spell?
Or my haste?
Or double image?

...What in the fu- Okay... so I guess it's a modern, streamlined experienced in which one has to do this stuff in combat. Guess my own intuition has to step back a little - that's okay.
I'll try hit and run tactics, letting off my most powerful abilities in a short time frame, then using my haste spell (assuming I haven't already been ripped apart) to get clear and rest, recovering my most powerful abilities for the next attack. I manage to make it clear, sweat drips down my face as I slowly reassure myself the monstrosities that wish my demise are unaware as to where I will reside over the next eight hours.

Except... I've only got camping supplies for the next two nights. I sigh, realising that my hit and run tactic is also now out the proverbial window. My only tactic is to rely on those character abilities. But even then I'm reluctant to use them. A wizard should be a class of sleep and preparation, with a damage and destructive output of immense proportion that, after a large battle, is forced to sleep or be completely defenceless. That is no longer the case, the wizard feels like the half-breed between some sort of modern RPG warrior and a classic RPG mage, and has the pleasure of neither I might add.

And with that, I am inevitably forced to take party members. The games that Pillars of Eternity claims to 'spiritually' hang on to understood that you - the protagonist - may not desire a rogue, or a mage, or a warrior, a bard or anything of the adventurous ilk at all. Perhaps just preferring either for pride, challenge, or anti-social roleplay to just avoid party members. You where undeniably handicapped; you were a 1/6 of the strength you could be.

But as time passed and as you and your character gained experience that gap between a six man party and just you began to narrow. A single character is challenging yet viable. A six man party is uniform and reliable, as well as deep to meet such complex and developed characters. Pillars of Eternity does not feel as if it wants you to strike out on your own - but not in the way its ancestors did. It's ancestors stood and said "Hey, you ain't special! If you walk the wilderness by yourself, you are going to get beaten up! But I mean... experience ain't being shared y'know, you'll get very powerful very quickly *Wink wink*. The new kid on the block (Pillars) does not do this, but rather if you attempt to rely on your own cunning and intuition to make up got additional party members you're abruptly struck round the head and told "Yeah, no."

Perhaps this is all just a matter of taste. Or experience. Or maybe I'm a troll, or maybe I just need to play that little bit more, but as it stands so far I can't help but feel just that little bit disappointed.

The quest for the ultimate balance was successful, after all?

naossano

Cipher
I have yet to look into it past the first few hours of discovery, but i was really hooked by the things you can disable in the options.
Like not having the skill check thrown in your face during dialogs, the explanation for everything being optionnal, or the stronghold not being reached from anywhere.
I am not sure about disabling quest markers but it is likely to be there too.

It is like they somehow heard some of my complain about baby-sitting features that should be optional instead of forced as it break the immersion for all other players.

I hope others publishers/develloppers take lessons for them and allow disabling some of their most moronic features.

Weasel
Looks great so far, and hope the good reviews keep coming to demonstrate that not everything has to be a dumbed-down garbage like most modern releases. But now that it's guaranteed to be a smash hit, it's surely time for the epic development process to be documented for future generations to study.

PoE Development cycle - a troll's eye-view

gFPfBOe.jpg

0BUeEln.jpg

hE9fVcu.jpg

wjd6bsl.jpg

FInWcTg.png

DfZ2Gni.jpg

1Sp6uL1.jpg

XmoWrl0.jpg

EVlqbvk.png

:troll:

Villagkouras

Arcane
Downloaded from GOG, version says 1.02.0508, GOG claims that this includes day one patch but Sensuki said that the patch makes it above v. 508. So, is day one patch included or not?

Στάλθηκε από το OnePlus One μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I'm watching TotalBiscuit's livestream right now. So far I dislike the voice acting.

What's his opinion on the game so far?

Is he going to do a WTF is of PoE?

It's hard to gauge his level of enthusiasm because he is the Cynical Brit after all. But he had some good things to say about it and he was happy that it's a CRPG for the PC. I have no idea if he's going to do a WTF is.

TB asked some good questions from Adam Brennecke, he should do interviews with devs as he knows enough about the games and the industry.

Apexeon

Arcane
My Dwarf Apexeon has now officially infected POE after trashing Ice wind dale last month by rolling his face over the keyboard while drunk.

Were the **** is "path of the Hobo artist" option.
I want my wine money back.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
This game is insane. I might regret this later, but if it keeps up, it has a chance to eclipse all of the Infinity Engine games. We could be playing the game that is better than the games it was supposed to emulate. It has been seamless so far, the writing is top notch, the mechanics are great, the stats/numbers are unapologetically complex. This shit is off the heezy for sheezy.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
I haven't even played the game yet but I'm already giving it high praise just for being released.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom