Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sentinel

Arcane
You make it sound like they just hired first person who applied. Just because he doesn't have published works, doesn't mean they don't have him write them something to see how well he writes before actually hiring him.
Megan Starks and that twitter woman are proof of this I'm sure.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Writing in PoE's main quest is pretty good, as well as the companions Eric wrote and Durance. But yeah everything else ranges from "whatever" to Tyranny-tier.

PS: I looked over at Kirsch's site, and he has no past work other than Pillars of Eternity. Another example of Obsidian's extremely high standards when hiring writers.

You make it sound like they just hired first person who applied. Just because he doesn't have published works, doesn't mean they don't have him write them something to see how well he writes before actually hiring him.

Kirsch wrote the Almanac on Pillars, not sure if he was hired as junior writer for that role. I don't think he actually wrote any lines for the game itself. And if Kirsch wrote Tunon, the two Archons and Verse&Barik I would say he is a quality hire for Obsidian. Especially the conversations with Tunon were very well done.
yup. In tyranny's case,majority of the part in writing individually is great. The problem really, lies with lack of unified vision and game mechanics that didnt really carry the strength in writing. There is also pacing issue.

My most complaint of tyranny is actually its mechanical aspect, from simplified combat, shallow choices in the final arc (either you fight kyros or fight kyros unwillingly) and retarted bethesda skill system.

PoE, well itvis just an editing nightmare. When they cut the lore dump boner and focus on moment to moment writing it is actually pretty good.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
When everyone "believes" capitalism is evil (blithely ignoring the fact that Obsidian's current state is only possible due to capitalism), patriarchy is real, left-wing is best wing etc. etc., they don't challenge each other to be better artists

You're assuming that everyone on half the political spectrum is the same. There is a world of difference between a Clinton supporter and a Stalin supporter.

Please give me a Stalin supporter developer! Would be nice with something new!

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Regarding the new writer - I don't think it's wise to make comparison to the old days. Back in a day a "video game writer" wasn't even a thing, it was normal to hire people with zero experience. A lot of them were designers, coders wearing multiple hats.

Nowadays though, video game writing is an actual field, the barrier of entry should be much higher, especially in a company that built its reputation on quality writing. And what's this nonsense about her being a "young person just starting out"? She has 7 years of working experience, and out of that her only claim to fame is a fanfic flashgame with 600 downloads. Give me a break.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's actually not easy to find a job in the video game industry, especially if you are starting out. The hard part is finding a project that needs a person of your skills, whatever they may be, so I'm not surprised she only has 1 game under her belt. The easiest thing is to attach yourself to indie projects, but they don't have a budget or a concrete future. You can offer yourself for free, but it's not a good prospect, you need money to live off of and gaining a reputation as "the cheap one" isn't very seductive. This is especially true for people like writers or composers.

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
It's actually not easy to find a job in the video game industry, especially if you are starting out.

She has a resume of a teenager and she landed a job in arguably most renowned RPG developer in the west. So what the fuck are you talking about.

Lacrymas

Arcane
She has a resume of a teenager and she landed a job in arguably most renowned RPG developer in the west. So what the fuck are you talking about.

That's my point. She has the resume of a teenager because it's hard to find a job. Why Absurdian hired her is beyond me. She might be the luckiest person in the world, who knows. That Kirsch guy as well. If they have the skills to be in the most renowned RPG company in the West, great.

Fry

Arcane
Older writers with lots of experience are expensive. Throwing contract writers with little experience at small chunks of the narrative is a cheap way to offload work. I doubt it's any more complicated than that.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Who are these older writers with lots of experience in this industry? Those that aren't at Obsidian already that is? Avellone and Ziets? Ken Levine?

sser

Arcane
Developer
Hardest part is having skills.

tumblr_oaq4hoLFZh1r0clngo1_500.jpg

fuckin' yo, wearing flipflops with leather tops

helmet's actually an office trashcan ... found the visor in a bigger trashcan

not really pointing downhill, just angled the camera that way

tires wouldn't really move, bearings way too fakkin' tight, no wrench, dainty fingers

sick pose tho

hold up that's a
K on the letter jacket, k for kill

and that's a 13, K for kill 13, kill yer bad luck

apologies in advance if K and 13 are Nazi symbology my internet's been down this week

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Hardest part is having skills.

tumblr_oaq4hoLFZh1r0clngo1_500.jpg

fuckin' yo, wearing flipflops with leather tops

helmet's actually an office trashcan ... found the visor in a bigger trashcan

not really pointing downhill, just angled the camera that way

tires wouldn't really move, bearings way too fakkin' tight, no wrench, dainty fingers

sick pose tho

hold up that's a
K on the letter jacket, k for kill

and that's a 13, K for kill 13, kill yer bad luck

apologies in advance if K and 13 are Nazi symbology my internet's been down this week
This will make a nice story arc.I hope it is in the first on the disk pre-order dlc.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Video-games don't have good writing, it's a race to the bottom to see which has has less shit writing.

A lot of other media other than books, manages to have pretty awesome scripts, movies, TV series. Video games don't...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Is the game going to be published by paradox?Should we expect 20 dlcs coming up?
I don't think so.

After Paradox's less than stellar job with Tyranny, I think they have been determined not to touch them with a ten-foot pole.
Lets hope so.Paradox are really .....swedish and little bit of arab jew.Love how they whine how hard their work is and how much the work to make a new dlc fun for fans.And when it comes out,it is buggy shit that nobody wanted in the first place,and the work that was put in the dlc could be done by a single dude in a week.

Flou

Arbiter
Nowadays though, video game writing is an actual field, the barrier of entry should be much higher, especially in a company that built its reputation on quality writing. And what's this nonsense about her being a "young person just starting out"? She has 7 years of working experience, and out of that her only claim to fame is a fanfic flashgame with 600 downloads. Give me a break.

She actually has two games she has worked on. How much more would you require for a Junior Writer position?

Flou

Arbiter

That's my point. She has the resume of a teenager because it's hard to find a job. Why Absurdian hired her is beyond me. She might be the luckiest person in the world, who knows. That Kirsch guy as well. If they have the skills to be in the most renowned RPG company in the West, great.

"That Kirsch guy" was hired as contract writer to write Pillars of Eternity Guidebook, Vol. 1, World Almanac, and Player’s Manual and he has a Master's Degree in Popular Fiction and Bachelor's of Art in Creative Writing.
Somehow I doubt luck has nothing do with him getting the job to write on Tyranny as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom