Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

PanteraNera

Arcane
Looks like they basically swapped the styles of the Phoenix and Jericho soldiers.
Swapped with each other? If so you know more than I do, source?

Israfael

Arcane
o you have some facts supporting this affirmation? I'm not so sure, and If you are only betting on this at the end you could have some bad surprises.
Why is it even an issue? If some person is only familiar with fast food, it does not mean that he/she won't appreciate finer things instantly or eventually. Complexity in systems != complexity in representation / gameplay. Most of the potential TU problems are already solved with the grid highlighting. For me personally, it always looked like a cop-out for the devs rather than real improvement in gameplay / replayability (if it were true, then popamole would be the perfect game with it's 'viscerality', awesomebutton and immershun)

PS I really don't get the jabs at 'you just want x-com carbon copy', it's simply not true. It's actually discussion about 'simulation vs game' and what's there in between. I personally think it's either/or situation, while others (and it seems, developers as well) disagree. And I agree that Geoscape / 4x layer sim is much more important, and we have heard nothing of it yet, except worrying buzzwords like 'events' / potential 'choose 1 or 2' forced gameplay moves.

luinthoron

Learned
except worrying buzzwords like 'events' / potential 'choose 1 or 2' forced gameplay moves.
The way the "events" were described was nothing even resembling the Firaxis XCOMs' choose a mission gameplay, though, but rather a mix of flavor text and news about events surrounding other factions similar to the delegate/trader/ally/etc news in Civ VI (although we don't quite know how exactly it's presented to us in PP, so it's best not to assume it'll be just like those either).

PanteraNera

Arcane
Why is it even an issue? If some person is only familiar with fast food, it does not mean that he/she won't appreciate finer things instantly or eventually.
Because it is not a save bet that this holds true. Tastes are different and that is the issue if you are creating a commercial successful game.
XCOM (fast food) sold well, XCOM 2 didn't sold so well as brought up itt (could be over saturation or that it needs more time to sell similar numbers like XCOM) and there is just no more complex game with the same budget. One would have to risk trying that out. As it looks traditional publishers will not risk it. And crowdfunding will never reach the same budget. PP seems to not risk it either and like I said, I they fail commercially its hard to tell why (my bet would be lack of VO, cut scenes and possible polish). I assume that it needs passionate indie's to do it like Overhype or these Terran Shield guys, to just do the right setting and more complex tactical game play mix.

PS I really don't get the jabs at 'you just want x-com carbon copy', it's simply not true.
I do not get it either, I belief that is an exaggeration to avoid further discussion of that matter. Well or it could be false perception as in if you do not like XCOM you must be an X-Com extremist. Either or, no room inbetween. But hey that is kinda how our world works currently, left and right, good and bad, love and hate, black and white and usually not fifty shades of grey.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why is it even an issue?
Because if the majority of the backers were X-Comers they aren't apparently making the right game for them and, as I said earlier, it won't be easy to raise additional funds via FIG (or another platform) if they need to. If things go on like this I won't invest a penny more in this project and if I'm part of a minority there won't be problems but if it's not maybe there could be troubles for Snapshot.

I belief that is an exaggeration to avoid further discussion of that matter
Obviously.

Mustawd

Is it common to not use the forward grip like that?

Wot?

Is that an eyepatch in front of the scope?

Looks augmented. Like in GITS SAC. Although tbf I think it was non scope eye. But still.

iu

What is that thing on the guy's strap pouch?

lease draw arrow on what you mean.

Mustawd

The way the "events" were described was nothing even resembling the Firaxis XCOMs' choose a mission gameplay, though, but rather a mix of flavor text and news about events surrounding other factions similar to the delegate/trader/ally/etc news in Civ VI (although we don't quite know how exactly it's presented to us in PP, so it's best not to assume it'll be just like those either).

I feel this is best case scenario, but we need more info. Although it feels there is none to give as it seems it's still in development.

Mustawd

oh ok. US army Indirect Fire infantry man. Aka Mortar Man.

TBH, I don't remember being taught differently for burst versus single shot. But this was like summer of 2003. Our training was shit.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
TBH, I don't remember being taught differently for burst versus single shot. But this was like summer of 2003. Our training was shit.
May depend on the rifle, but generally the grip is uncomfortable for aimed shots. Look at this:

1.jpg

Mustawd

Yah we used an M16A3 or some shit IIRC. I think you posted an m4? I dunno. It was longer and did not have that handle.

After basic training we just trained on mortars. Death From Above TM.

Mustawd

iu

61 mm.

Mostly Airborne had those though. From my understanding.

81 mm is my fav. Too bad it's not practical in most areas...
iu

:love::love:

"Sarge can you shoot hit off your hip?"
"Sure.....only once.........*GRINS"

The most common was this motherfucker...

iu

I once stupidly decided to sleep inside one of those during a cold winter Georgia drill. Most retarded thing I've ever done.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Business interview: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...int-is-doing-usd100-000-a-month-on-pre-orders

Phoenix Point “is doing $100,000 a month on pre-orders”
Developer says its XCOM rival is doing big numbers, but remains cautious over the state of the market

With its upcoming game bringing in $100,000 a month in pre-order revenue alone, you would think that developer Snapshot Games is sleeping easily at night.

But it's not.

"If there's one thing that keeps us up, it's that there are so many services that are launching and giving games away," explains David Kaye, co-founder of Snapshot, the studio fronted by XCOM creator Julian Gollop and creator of the XCOM-alike Phoenix Point.

"And they're not just giving away old games, but fairly new ones. Between Steam sales and services like Humble Bundle and all that stuff, there is so much... If you want to play a really good game, there are great indie games that are not very expensive. There are games that were full price a little while ago that are now almost free. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided didn't come out that long ago, and it's basically free now.

"Things like Game Pass... You can play Sea of Thieves for just a few quid. Microsoft and others are launching these services where you pay $10 a month and you can play some amazing new games.

David Kaye, Snapshot Games

"That means, in terms of selling your game, you can take nothing for granted. Because there has never been a better time to be a consumer of media. It doesn't just apply to games. It applies to TV. If you want to play a game of any category you can think of, you have options. I am old enough to remember a time when, in terms of what I was interested in, there would be periods where there was nothing that good to play or watch. That is not a problem I have now."

Yet Phoenix Point has clearly risen above the noise. After a successful Fig campaign brought in $766,000 (smashing its $500,000 target), the firm has launched its own pre-order initiative that, according to Kaye, is currently delivering $100,000 a month. That's been helped by a launch trailer that was viewed by almost 1.5 million people, and a targeted Facebook advertising campaign.

"We've been more active than most indie developers on Facebook, with ads and things like that," Kaye explains. "We saw a huge difference in terms of how effectively you can acquire customers and drive pre-orders."

He continues: "There's never been a better time to find your audience. Because before, to find out who would want to buy your game and what your consumer is interested in, you'd have to commission a big research study and spend loads of money. Now I can go on Facebook analytics and I can see that, for fans of Phoenix Point, amongst their favourite TV shows is Babylon 5, for example. You can find a lot of interesting information about people that way."

With an advertising campaign that appears to be working, major revenue coming in and a lot of hype around Gollop's return to the genre that made him famous, what exactly is there to worry about?

"I am not the best PR spin guy, because I'll just tell you all the things that worry me," jokes Kaye. "This genre is a category that has been underserved, but you have to assume that that won't remain the case forever. People will come along and fill that gap... so we take nothing for granted.

In Julian, we have some real pedigree in the genre, and he is working hard to make a really great game. There's never been a better or worse time to launch a game, in some ways. You just have to be hyper conscious of all the things that could mess you up, and try to mitigate against those as best you can.

"Hopefully I don't seem super negative. I am very excited about what we're doing. It's just the realities of the environment we are in, the things that are going on out there. You just can't take anything for granted.

"We have a lot to achieve. We are going to be compared to the new XCOM games, but we have a lower budget and a smaller team. Yet we have to deliver, because we will be judged against [XCOM]."

Kaye's concerns isn't so much about Phoenix Point being successful, but whether it can achieve the ambitious goals the company has set itself. Snapshot Games, based in Sofia, Bulgaria, now has 28 staff. A year ago it had about eight. This is the studio's second game after 2015's Chaos Reborn, a game that did extremely well on Kickstarter, received a decent critical reception, but didn't do too much more than that.

Phoenix Point is a big bet for the studio. This isn't like Chaos Reborn. It isn't a one-shot release and then move onto the next one. The team has plans that go beyond expansions. In fact, there's been four ebooks set in the world of Phoenix Point already.

"Excuse me for using the word franchise, but that's how we see it," Kaye says. "We're taking it pretty seriously. We are about to publish our fourth volume in the ebook series. There's a very long, rich storyline and the world has been clearly thought through. We are thinking a lot more than just how to make a really good campaign game. We are asking ourselves what will people be doing with this in three years. Some of those things will be fairly obvious - expansions and things like that - but some of our other ideas are a bit more out of the box. We have some interesting concepts in terms of how to extend it."

We conclude our conversation by suggesting that perhaps Phoenix Point could simply turn up on other platforms outside of PC and Mac. Last year, when we spoke to Gollop, he told us that his backers didn't want a console version. But that was just a month after Switch (and before Mario + Rabbids) reignited excitement in the console space once again. Has the view changed?

Kaye wouldn't commit to anything at this point, but he acknowledges that although backers may not have wanted a console edition, that doesn't mean there isn't demand for it.

"We would love to [do a Switch version], if we can find the money to do it," he insists. "Certainly PC is the home for this type of game and the lead platform. But games like this, if you think about what you're doing, yes it has certain hardware requirements, but then things like touch interfaces... if you've played XCOM on an iPad or something like that, it is a pretty decent experience. You have to meet people wherever they are.

"Certainly for us, the core audience is going to be on PC first. But the question we get asked the most is, 'Are you going to do this on console?' We get asked that so much."

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Very interesting interview, especially the part when he openly admits that PP will be compared to nuXcom. I mean, I didn't think anything else really, but there is no mention at all of the original fans and what they might have been expecting from a Gollop X-com. And fucking facebook man...

PanteraNera

Arcane
Very interesting interview, especially the part when he openly admits that PP will be compared to nuXcom. I mean, I didn't think anything else really, but there is no mention at all of the original fans and what they might have been expecting from a Gollop X-com. And fucking facebook man...
Well they already said that they want to do a commercial successful game. That doesn't give me much hope for going to far away from XCOM and carter the X-Com fans. And yes every once in a while I look at facebook and mostly younger people are interested in the game. Yesterday I was a little in the discord chat and I felt very alien due to my age :).

I think it would be best at this point to start coping with the "fact" that it is going to be XCOM 2 enhanced Julian Gollop edition. A lot of people itt have already said that they knew that from the beginning and it seems that people that hoped for more and assumed that the whole "spiritual successor"-thing meant something different were just fabulously optimistic.

PP might not be what I have hoped for, but I think it is a save bet that it will be better than XCOM 2.

We will see how it evolves, especially regarding features that have not been show so far, geoscape and base building.

Like I said somewhere else, I wasn't gaming nearly for ten years, so I have not experienced the step by step decline myself, I must say I am still shocked that this is the "future of gaming" but slowly, step by step I start to realize the current state of gaming and just cope with it.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yup, I haven't really believed anything else that it would be Gollop nuXcom, but this fake reassurance for the old fans is a bit shit behavior.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well they already said that they want to do a commercial successful game. That doesn't give me much hope for going to far away from XCOM and carter the X-Com fans. And yes every once in a while I look at facebook and mostly younger people are interested in the game. Yesterday I was a little in the discord chat and I felt very alien due to my age :).

I think it would be best at this point to start coping with the "fact" that it is going to be XCOM 2 enhanced Julian Gollop edition. A lot of people itt have already said that they knew that from the beginning and it seems that people that hoped for more and assumed that the whole "spiritual successor"-thing meant something different were just fabulously optimistic.

PP might not be what I have hoped for, but I think it is a save bet that it will be better than XCOM 2.

We will see how it evolves, especially regarding features that have not been show so far, geoscape and base building.

Like I said somewhere else, I wasn't gaming nearly for ten years, so I have not experienced the step by step decline myself, I must say I am still shocked that this is the "future of gaming" but slowly, step by step I start to realize the current state of gaming and just cope with it.
Finally :D

In truth while I expected that from the start my hope is that Jullian dares and manages to put in as many old school mechanics as he is allowed. I supported the Fig campaign hoping I would be right about that.
I mean Fig already promised many old school mechanics delivered in nuXcom looks, I just hoped they would stick with it.. but that console level UI from last public showing is biggest disappointment for me so far.

luinthoron

Learned
Well, of course it will be compared to XCOM. That has nothing to do with fans of XCOM or X-Com, that's just the current face of this genre, and especially with PP's modern looks, both new and old fans will end up comparing it with XCOM, whether as fans of it, or as fans of the original who compare how XCOM and PP differ from good old X-Com. Whether our verdict will be good or bad is another question.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom