Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the next game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by Infinitron, Mar 18, 2016.

1. oasis789 Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Stun rod rookie - Only second to the honor of the "first one through the UFO door to soak their reaction fire" position.

• Salute Salute x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Ezeekiel Savant

Ezeekiel
    Parrots:
    Make sure the game is as simple as possible, because the average modern gamer/customer buys his games based on what his in-depth pre-purchase research showed him her the mechanics would be like rather than, say, the looks and general idea of the game, right? TU or a classic JA2-style ap system would totally be the thing to kill sales man.
    :roll:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Mazisky Arbiter

Mazisky
    Parrots:
    UnstableVoltage it is possible to find anywhere the 2-tracks ingame music of the demo showed? It was very good

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Ezeekiel Savant

Ezeekiel
    Parrots:
    At least on that we can agree. The OST seems like it'll be a good one.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. luinthoron Learned

luinthoron
    Parrots:
    Looking a bit closer at the latest demo, while it does lack the ability to shoot more than once, I can see the soldiers being able to move after shooting as well if they have TU/movement left. Easy to miss, especially since it isn't mentioned anywhere, but it clearly isn't as bad as everyone seems to think even in the current pre-alpha iteration. (The specific point I found with a quick search was UnstableVoltage killing the queen with his Heavy and the game showing a possible 1-tile movement radius for him after that.)

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Shog-goth Educated

Shog-goth
    Parrots:
    But It's a placeholder by Simeon Dotkov, Snapshot in-house sound designer and composer. John Broomhall will join the project later.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Shog-goth Educated

Shog-goth
    Parrots:
    To sum up, the new "balanced" hybrid AP system will allow:

- No manual hunker down
    - No facing
    - No alternative fire-mode
    - No multiple shots per turn without abilities

I forget something?

• decline decline x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. Grotesque Arcane

Grotesque
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/phoen...t-lovecraftian-12075696#ICID=sharebar_twitter

There is a lot of turn based tactical combat games out at the moment with Wasteland, Torment, X-com, Battletech what set Phoenix Point part from these?

What we are doing with Phoenix Point is very highly detailed interaction and tactical simulator with procedurally generated environments and even on the strategic level.

For example, Aliens themselves mutate and evolve in response to how you play so each player will facing entirely different enemies. The game is adapting there are also some random elements and you also have the factions you have this world simulation, the world is living even without your intervention.

I guess you could call it an open world strategic game and this really what sets it apart from the more linear experiences of some of its contemporaries.

Do you think old school tough detailed tactical combat games have had their day in favour of a new easier modernised streamlined approach and where does Phoenix Point sit on the scale or super detailed tactical or simplified fun approach?

Ah that’s a good questions something we have been wrestling with for over a year.

The short answer is we sit somewhere in between.

We do try to make sure the interface and controls are easy to use so on initial glance Phoenix point looks a little like the new X-com but at the same time we do have more detailed simulation stuff going on behind our holistic system, mechanics shooting armour penetrations etc.

We also have more in term of inventory management and character progression system.

We have some things that are reminiscent of the original X-com in there for people who played those.

It's trying to take the best of both and trying to make it work as a combined whole.

So anybody who like the new X-com will appreciate us taking it to a higher level in terms of depth and complexity and anyone who has played the original X-com will appreciate some of the things that they can connect with.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Gondolin Arcane

Gondolin
    Parrots:
    How I hated it when the shitty soldier dodged shot after plasma shot from short range, while the good soldiers I had kept back AND in cover got mowed down from across the map.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Shog-goth Educated

Shog-goth
    Parrots:
    Please Julian, stop. I can't stand anymore reading these things from you.

A little?

Just some things? These weren't the initial premises.

Really? I lament the absence of many things, instead.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. PanteraNera Savant

PanteraNera
    Parrots:
    from the article:
    NuXCOM and Fallout 4.
    Oh fuck, kill it, kill it with fire!

:mixedemotions:
    that's Julian and Jake guess who is who?

^ Top  
  12. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    lol

that's a whole new level of emotional engagement

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Mazisky Arbiter

Mazisky
    Parrots:
    You all guys should be thankful to Firaxis.

Until they did reboot the series, the genre was dead. Thanks to its success, the genre is raising up.

You can shitpost and butthurt as much as you can, but this doesn't change the reality.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    i sure am thankful about all these games that suck

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Yeah, I get so mad every time I see how they're failing to live up to their promise that this will be "the real X-Com 2". Which they absolutely did promise. Uh-huh. Yep. We didn't make that up at all.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Mazisky Arbiter

Mazisky
    Parrots:
    Also, we should wait the final game or at least the geoscape part before butthurting...that tactical demo pre ALPHA with almost 1\3 of the features is not enough to make points. Take chamomile and wait.

^ Top  
  17. veevoir Klytus, I'm bored Patron

veevoir
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
    This idea is against everything Codex stands for.

• Agree x 6
    • Funny x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Shog-goth Educated

Shog-goth
    Parrots:
    There is a difference between "Ufo spiritual successor retaining many of those much-loved mechanics" and "nuX-Com improved/done right". I signed up for the former but I'm probably getting the latter.

I don't have to wait the strategic layer to know that I don't like the current tactical one.

Like a zombie, with just a glimpse of its former glory.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. PanteraNera Savant

PanteraNera
    Parrots:
    The NuGames-slogan "By Zombies for Zombies"

Zombie-gamers: "Gnaaaahhhhhh shhhhhiiiiiiiit, shhhhhhiiiiiiiiiit, gif meh moar shhhhhiiiiiiiiiiit"

^ Top  
  20. Mazisky Arbiter

Mazisky
    Parrots:
    I think Gollop knows it should be different enough from nuxcom, otherwise why playing PP? Same game with lower budget?

• Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. PanteraNera Savant

PanteraNera
    Parrots:
    Exactly, that is my point the whole time. At least regarding to the tactical side, people that want a successor of the original game being butthurt because to much NuXCOM, NuXCOM-players laughing at PP for being a cheap ripoff. Worst case scenario, but not unlikely.

You can not please everyone.

But I kinda have the feeling that Gollop lost it anyways calling PP a lovechild of NuXCOM and Fallout, maybe he is just namedropping to get attention from as much NuGamers as possible, I don't know what he's thinking.

^ Top  
  22. mustawd. Erudite

mustawd.
    Parrots:
    Umm...based on everything he's said and what was shown in the campaign?

From the Figstarter campaign:

Show Spoiler
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

Form the same campaign Q&A:
    Show Spoiler

• Will the game use time units or have a 2-action system?

Our tactical system is currently using something of a hybrid. Generally a character has potentially two actions per turn - movement and use of equipment. However, if an enemy is spotted while moving then the movement is halted and the player can react, either by moving or firing. This could happen multiple times per character movement. Additionally, Will Points are a very important factor. These can be used to extend movement, firing or add other actions to a soldier’s turn, depending on the abilities of the character or equipment in use.

• Will there be a pod system?
      No

• When you said 4+ squads, that means the starting lineup is 4?
      Four is the lower limit for deploying a squad, not a starting limit. Squad Sizes can be as high as 16, depending on the transport available and the type of mission. A more limiting factor on squad size would be the scarcity of recruits and ongoing injuries (or mental traumas) of soldiers.

• Will psychology play a role as well, such as panic and fear?
      Fear, panic and insanity will all play a role. Permanent mental traumas may affect the abilities, behaviour and reliability of soldiers in combat.

• Will there be a cover system?
      Yes. The cover system works in a very similar way to XCOM 2.
    • How will the shooting work? Will it have more realistic ballistics simulation?
    • Currently we have a system similar to modern XCOMs. We will soon prototype a more simulated ballistics system, but we have to solve some interface/feedback issues. The player needs to have a some idea of what kind of damage might be expected from a particular position. The cover system will obviously be different, and it also needs to integrate with the hit location system. We have a plan, so we will see how well it works.
    • Is the map randomly generated?
      The battle maps will be generated using randomly selected, pre-designed components as in original X-COM and XCOM 2. We will add variable positioning of obstacles, such as barriers and vehicles. Additionally, locations may have already suffered significant battle damage before your squad arrives, creating more of an appearance of a war zone.

Again, I am seriously confused on how anyone would think it doesn't copy nuXCOM in a variety of ways. Let's recap on the similarities SOLELY based on the original fig camapig:

-GIF shown in very early development which shows nuXCOM like cinematic camera
    -Game alludes to starting the game with a squad of four soldiers, which CAN be eventually be expanded to 16. Of course, 4 soldiers is also what you start with in nuXCOM... Never mind. They said 4 wasn't a starting limit per se.
    -They mention soldier classes
    -They specifically mention there will not be a TU system, and instead uses a hybrid AP system. I think it's easy to extrapolate it's based off nuXCOM
    -They include a question about pods. Why do you think that is? Allusion to some of nuXCOM's most disliked mechanics.
    -Cover system will be similar to nuXCOM2
    -They mention nuXCOM2 in terms of map generation.
    -Their initial prototype shooting system was similar to nuXCOM's, although now being tweaked to have more realistic ballistics.

That's just the original campaign. Look at his comments from interviews. PP is more of a remake of X-com apocalypse with some nuXCOM and x-com UDO sensibilities more than anything, based on what he's said.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/4/25/15407662/phoenix-point-julian-gollop-fig

Another one:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Shog-goth Educated

Shog-goth
    Parrots:
    But there is a substantial difference between "take inspiration" and "straight copy". I was aware that some concession to nuXcomers was inevitable, but not at this level. Most of the "casuals" that saw the demo treated It like a "XCOM ripoff" so the problem It's not only with "UFO zealots".

^ Top  
  24. Shog-goth Educated

Shog-goth
    Parrots:
    To be fair I think that the quote "insane love child of X-com and Fallout" is from the journalist and not Gollop himself.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Parrots:
    My current attitude on PP is wait and see.

I have made no bones on my opinion about the two-action system and why it sucks - because it flattens difference between soldiers, making them more interchangeable and ignores that not every soldier is as fast as each other.

Honestly, the advantage of the 2-action system is that it makes simpler for idiots casuals. One good thing is that PP will have more soldiers than NuXcom, so at least there will be the trade-off that complexity will be superior.

Its not like my clientele matters anyway, I pirate every game I see, my new non-pirate games are gifts from fellow Codexers anyway.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)