Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

ArchAngel

Arcane
Here is the offense tab of that character:

And this is the tree: poeurl.com/bk04

ArchAngel

Arcane
Bladefall trapper had no alternative to help with trap cooldowns as no other skill was similar enough to bladefall.
you shouldnt need to recast due to poison.
EK is similar but its viable only at highest gem lvl
Oh I wasn't recasting, but using quicksilver and throwing one trap per pack you run out of traps fast. You only got 3 and one recovery before you are throw 3. So I could instant kill 4 packs and then ran to 5th and had no traps or had to stop after every 4 packs and wait for traps to reload.
EK didn't work well. Saboteur ability means all traps outside of enemy range fire in random direction. Cluster EK traps often did shit and zero to packs as a result.

As for the mines... I guess I will not be playing mines after all :D

T. Reich

Arcane
After blocking just one retard, this thread looks hilarious.

It's several people taking turns writing out basics of PoE seemingly at random.

I recommend you guys at least temporarily blocking Archangel and giving this thread a read.

ArchAngel

Arcane

I recommend you guys at least temporarily blocking Archangel and giving this thread a read.
I guess since you are blocking me and you will not read it I can tell you I fucked your wife yesterday and she told me you are gay and like trannys that fuck you in the ass. She also told me your kid is not really yours, but your neighbour's. Have fun in your life :P

baturinsky

Arcane

I guess since you are blocking me and you will not read it I can tell you I fucked your wife yesterday and she told me you are gay and like trannys that fuck you in the ass. She also told me your kid is not really yours, but your neighbour's. Have fun in your life :P
http://www.goofingaround.ca/socrates

baturinsky

Arcane
Picking game up after a long break. Is it a very bad idea to have a summoner witch, but with some area damage spell totem?
I like having lots of meat shields between me and enemy, but they kinda lack in damage department, especially area damage. Totem can fill the gap.

T. Reich

Arcane
Picking game up after a long break. Is it a very bad idea to have a summoner witch, but with some area damage spell totem?
I like having lots of meat shields between me and enemy, but they kinda lack in damage department, especially area damage. Totem can fill the gap.

It can be done, sorta. I've done it a couple of times.
You won't have any serious endgame damage potential, and early on perma-minions suck ass due to being made out of paper, but it can be pulled off.

Some pointers:
1) you can either go self-cast, or go dual-totem if you want the maximum afk experience.
2) focus on zombies and maybe also spectres (totally optional). You don't touch their offense at all, just focus on their survivability and utility.
3) do not dump too many points into minion passives - your main damage will still be spells.
4) what I would usually do is go for 6-ish zombies (3 from the base skill, +3 from any 3 notables that buff minions and give +1 max zombie).
5) try to pick minion passives that give minions extra life, life regen and resists.
6) best minion (zombie) support gems will be minion life (self-explanatory) + minion speed (zombies need mobility BADLY) + fortify (extra damage mitigation).
7) you really should be using a +2 minion levels helmet - it gives the zomzoms a ton of much-needed survivability.
8) if you want to do any decent damage with spells at all (and you do), you gotta go for currently imba spells. I recommend flameblast.
9) remember that when you cast any targetable spell/attack, your minions will all go towards the point you're casting to. Use this to direct your minions.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I had/ am having a lot of fun after switching to summoner witch this season. I wouldn't recommend the "classic" skeleton/ zombie/ spectre summoner. I use SRS (on spell totem), 3 Flame Golems, Spectral Spirits, an Animate Guardian and Animated Weapons on occasion for map bosses.

I've tried all of the + minion weapons and not factoring in weapon damage (sorry Scourge) and based on the summon only, I would rate:

+3 Spectral Spirits (Insanity craft) > +1 Flame Golem (Clayshaper) > +1 Spectre (Midnight Bargain) > Spectral Wolf (Scourge)

Nycta's Lantern is also an interesting unique (especially budget) since you can get 4.5-6 link Flame Golem on 1 hand.

You'll get your damage with SRS, Spirit Offering and when you get your ascendancy passives.

I use Bladefall for my imbalanced spell. A corrupt Clayshaper with Added Fire Damage gives a 4L Bladefall.

Last edited:

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
sry to derail the discussions with my jewish question, but why on earth are Rigwalds Axe and Sword 7ex on Standart?
does the combo see any dual wield play?

added 10 sets to my Standart investment portfolio, but i aint sure about it

baturinsky

Arcane
8) if you want to do any decent damage with spells at all (and you do), you gotta go for currently imba spells. I recommend flameblast.
Flameblast is interesting. But I was thinking that some more often casted area spell with Culling and Item Rarity support can be more economically viable, finishing summon's kills and all.

Another question about Ranger. I have one with Tornado for attack and Acrobatics for defence. Damage is good but she has defence problems at the end of Act 3 cruel, especially vs bosses. So, I need something to keep enemies at distance. What are my options? Is Decoy Totem good?

Last edited:

T. Reich

Arcane
Nah. PoE is not a game that allows to successfully mix-and-match disparate concepts.
If you want to to do any sort of good damage in late game stages, you will have to devote your resources to basically one skill of choice, and maybe sometimes another one that scales the same way, but it's a rare exception.
Minions and damage-dealing spells scale VERY differently. You won't have enough resources to devote to both and will end up crippled if you try to.
That's why I advised you to focus only on minion survivability (to absorb incoming damage) and even then, only to a certain limited amount.
If you want your minions to deal any sort of decent damage, you'll have to forget about dealing damage yourself and go all in for minion damage (yes, also at cost of some minion survivability).
If you want to have really high spell damage and survivability, you'll have to forget about minions altogether.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Flameblast is interesting. But I was thinking that some more often casted area spell with Culling and Item Rarity support can be more economically viable, finishing summon's kills and all.

Another question about Ranger. I have one with Tornado for attack and Acrobatics for defence. Damage is good but she has defence problems at the end of Act 3 cruel, especially vs bosses. So, I need something to keep enemies at distance. What are my options? Is Decoy Totem good?
Your ranger like most characters needs good life amount. Life or Energy Shield is your main defensive stat, Acrobatics is your secondary defense stat. You also need a 3rd defense, for acrobatics character that is usually a Basalt Flask and Evasion.

T. Reich

Arcane
sry to derail the discussions with my jewish question, but why on earth are Rigwalds Axe and Sword 7ex on Standart?
does the combo see any dual wield play?

added 10 sets to my Standart investment portfolio, but i aint sure about it

I'm surprised that these sell for that much.
My guess is that it's purely due to lack of supply - after all, both Rigwald weapons have only been previously available dusing the infamous Talisman league, both with lvl75+ Rigwald requirement. Then some were lost in post-league transition + some people who owned them simply stopped playing.
Nowadays, both weapons are only really available via The Wolf div card that only drops in one map that no-one runs more than once.

I don't really think there's much demand for them - they're pretty mediocre.

Jason Liang

Arcane
So I decided to follow Roger's example and cash out of Cadiro

poe15.jpg

Commander of Darkness scales both...

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
So I decided to join the 1 week Legacy race since characters get transferred to Legacy in the end. I will try to get to lvl 85 before it ends.
Playing a Scion Caustic Arrow/Essence Drain also as a test for 3.0 starter character. Seems that the character is not cheap if you want end game potential from it.
Also seems some people go for Decay Bow and some go for +3 bow (for CA).

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Caustic Arrow is better than its rumor, but it can also be somewhat annoying to play depending on your patience.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Now I need to decide which Scion's second ascendancy I want. First is of course Occultist.
Options are Pathfinder (great in this race and Legacy but nerfed a lot for 3.0 and I will not know true power of the build if I do it in 2.6). Then I can go Deadeye which gives a bit more damage for far targets, gives pierce (but I don't plan to use Drillneck) and second arrow which helps with AoE.
Next is Trickster which gives some evade when on full ES and some bonus damage when damaged and in 3.0 50% more ES and Mana regeneration which helps with Zealot's Oath that will be my #1 source of ES regen.
And last option is Hierophant which I am currently considering #1. I would also use Mind Over Matter with this option for more survivability. I would just have Discipline and low level Clarity (curse will be on Orb of Storms + curse on hit) so MoM could make nerfed ES in 3.0 great again.
Hierophant gives a lot more Mana and ES and lets me use two decoy totems (my main defense option).
EDIT: Fuck forgot MoM does not work with CI.

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
Not sure how you'll be able to afford a +3 bow before the race ends. In normal SC Legacy league, right now the best bargain for a +3 bow is a fated relic Silverbough. You can pick up a cheap relic Silverbranch for 5c and the Silverwood prophecy for 1c.

I am looking at wytch bows myself. Had my eye on a +1 relic Soul Strike that's been on the market for 7 ex and today finally hooked up with the seller. Also finally got my Clarity 4 Ascent from Flesh for 5c so now I'm a broke but happy witch.

poe16.jpg

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I will not get +3 bow in race for sure but I can later when character gets transferred to Legacy where prices are lower by now. For the race, plan is to get that prophecy. I am already using a Silverbranch right now.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not sure how you'll be able to afford a +3 bow before the race ends. In normal SC Legacy league, right now the best bargain for a +3 bow is a fated relic Silverbough. You can pick up a cheap relic Silverbranch for 5c and the Silverwood prophecy for 1c.

I am looking at wytch bows myself. Had my eye on a +1 relic Soul Strike that's been on the market for 7 ex and today finally hooked up with the seller. Also finally got my Clarity 4 Ascent from Flesh for 5c so now I'm a broke but happy witch.

poe16.jpg
For a second I thought I was looking at a screenshot from NWN.

baturinsky

Arcane
Got my first char (Necromancer) to Merciles. She does good damage, but very very squishy. 1k health and 1.5k shields. She got hit very rarely, thanks to meat shields, but AOE-spamming bosses fucks her up. What's the best way to increase survivability. AFAIK, evasion and armor would not save my hide from spells. So, what to buff then? Shields, health or resistances?

T. Reich

Arcane
All three.
PoE's monster damage values are mostly balanced around you having certain life/ES pool and resists.
By merciless you want to have at least 50 all res and 3k+ combined life/ES. By the end of merciless you want maxed all res and 3.5-4k combined life/ES.
Extra evasion helps, extra armor, too (in theory), but in practice you want to focus on life+ES, especially as a summoner type.
And learn some manual dexterity, most bosses' aoe attacks are telegraphed and are possible to avoid entirely (and some of those 1hit kill you if aren't).

baturinsky

Arcane
I have 2.5k combined hp+shield, so with non-junk gear will probably have enough. Then I should probably concentrate on res, but 50 res is hard to come by with -60% merciless penalty.
And I see your point about manual dodging, though hordes of my and bosse's minions make it hard to understand wtf is happening on screen.

Hyperion

Arcane
11 Support Gems being added to the beta later this week. PoEDB dataminers found 12, so one isn't making the cut.

Brutality Support - (35-54%) more Physical Damage. Deal no Elemental Damage. Works on spells and attacks, both. Hello Starforge builds!

Chance to Bleed Support - Adds (1-2) - (50-75)Physical Damage to Attacks. Flat 25% chance to cause Bleeding.

Deadly Ailments Support - (50-88%) more Damage with Ailments. 33% less damage with hits.

Decay Support
Skill - inflicts Decay - Adds 234 - 1598 Chaos Damage per second for 10 seconds.

Efficacy Support - (10-20%) more Spell Damage. (15-24%) more Damage over Time. (10-16%) increased Skill Effect Duration.

Immolate Support - (47-71) - (268-403) Added Fire Damage against Burning Enemies. Spells/Attacks.

Lesser Poison Support - (1-2) - (50-75) added Chaos Damage. 25% to poison on hit.

Lesser Reduced Mana Cost Support - Mana cost reduction. Requires Level 1.

Maim Support -
(20-30%) more Physical Damage against Maimed targets. (10-19%) more Physical Damage. 30% chance to maim. Counts as a Hinder.

Unbound Ailments Support - (30–49%) increased Duration of Ailments. (20–30%) increased Effect of Ailments.

Vile Toxins Support - (30–49%) more Poison Damage. 5% more damage with Hits for each Poison on the Enemy, up to (6–9) times.

Ignite Proliferation Support - Spread to other enemies within a Radius of (14–16). Skills deal (0–19%) increased Fire Damage. Improved Elemental Proliferation for Ignites only?
So...Hooray for Path of More Multipliers. 50 - 75 flat physical damage is more than Abyssus, Crit Multi not withstanding.

Source of Patch Info: http://www.mmorpg.com/path-of-exile...fall-of-oriath-1000011796#bEJx2hmwoAXf2u0w.99

ArchAngel

Arcane
Only useful skill for Caustic Arrow is Efficacy Support but 15-24% is probably weaker than alternatives that already exist.
Decay Support would be awesome if you actually hit targets with CA but you only apply the DoT on them.
But I see a lot of support for Essence Drain.

That Brutality will be brutal for Poison Bladefall builds :)
That plus Vile Poisons :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom