Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

On the shoulders of giants: a new multiple choices LP!

Vernydar

Learned
uh I think it's a bit soon for something like that.
Up to now, the only thing we did were... leaving a forest, capturing zebras, worshipping fire. So unless it's a completely unrelated or made-up name, which would kind of suck and be completely ooc, it would likely have to be a name regarding that. After all historically cities, nations and such were named after some worthy event, accomplishment, or geographical feature.Or a person's name.
The Fire Walkers? The Servants of Fire? The Masters of Zebra? uhm, somehow I can't see anything really nice here for now :p

Lindblum

Augur
Note worthy things. I'll try to keep this updated.

Updates
1. Left home in search of new lands, only the strong survived the journey- Bravery
2. Learned about the wildlife on the Plains- Domestication/ Wildlife knowledge
3. First encounter with fire was with Wisemen- Shamanism/ Belief in Spirits
4. Migrated to Mountains, leaving behind most of our domesticated herd.
5. Tribal council by Elders shall rule over our tribe.- Experience and wisdom
6. Criminals were given the chance to redeem their lives through hard labor for the rest of their lives.
7. Confiscate his herd and punish him.
8. Base of the mountain, surrounded by the river.
9. Searched the mountains, found new food source, possible predators and flying beasts.
10. Weapons, you got stone spear/ axe!
11. Domestication of Sheep!
12. Scouted the intruders they seem scared of us, they flee using raft technology.
13. Generic friendship option chosen!- Heard their story dragons exist, possibly coming towards us.
14.Basic weapons training to all. Militia
15. Beast research- Known Wolves and BEARS!
16.Bear taming!..to a certain degree..
17. Explore mountains

Curufinwe

Learned
Note worthy things. I'll try to keep this updated.

Updates
1. Left home in search of new lands- Bravery
2. Learned about the wildlife on the Plains- Domestication/ Wildlife knowledge
3. First encounter with fire was with Wisemen- Shamanism/ Belief in Spirits
4. Where do we live?

Made a link to this post in the first post, if you're intentioned to keep it updated.

Curufinwe

Learned
Alright. I'll close the vote now. B wins. A:6 B:7 C:4.

Writing the update, stay tuned.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

images

We started following the great herd moving towards the rising sun. It was an harsh migration, as we were forced to stop often to replenish our strength and get water and food. It would be many seasons before we could lay eyes on the foundation of the great rock that always guided us on the horizon, a signpost growing taller each moon. But that's a story for another moment.

During the first season, the numbers of the tribe now grown beyond what they ever were, some grumbles arose about how things had been decided until now and how that would not and could not work if the future presented worse challenges.

The strongest hunter in the tribe, supported by the young, was the first to be heard: 'I should take control of the destiny of our tribe. I am strong, learned in animal-lore, faster than anyone else. It is clear I should decide for everyone.'
Many of the women didn't concur: 'We survived well enough for many generations now only by listening to the voices of each adult. We should not change this.'
The eldest man, his hair a white mane, smiled peacefully: 'I can see merit in both your positions, yet you're both wrong. We can't listen to everyone, our judgement would be tainted by the voices of the foolish and the craven. Yet to pile so much responsibility on the young shoulders of an hunter would be unfair. Only the wisdom given by age and experience can steer us onwards in the future.

So:

A: The strongest, sharpest, most agile man should from now on take command of the tribe.
B: Keep doing as we always did, everyone should speak up in matters of tribal concern.
C: Create a council of the elders: only their wisdom can assure us about the right choices being taken.

24 hours, majority vote, go.

Vernydar

Learned
C

The Keeper of Fire, speaking strongly and firmly, tries to sway his fellow tribesmen
"I have seen many seasons pass by and I do agree that up to now we always decided together. But this method cannot go on for much longer, there may be situations in which a firm hand is needed.
Though I have said this, I advise against the strongest and sharpest hunter taking all the decisions. The young and strong are essential to our tribe and they must do their best to support us in times of danger and when calamity strikes. But the young are often rash, and lack sometimes experience. This can prove fatal when situations that happened in the past appear again, because the young may very well not know about the correct way to confront them.
I say we form a council of the elder and experienced, that will guide the young and strong down the correct path, and take the most important decisions with the wisdom of age."

Monty

Arcane
C - I'm with the geriatrics on this one.

Although I guess in those days anyone who made it into their 20s could qualify for the council.

Kz3r0

Arcane
C: Create a council of the elders: only their wisdom can assure us about the right choices being taken.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
A - The elders are too rigid in their ways and out of touch with the world, only the best of the best are good enough to lead our tribe. If we would only listen to the elders we would still be suffering in the damned forest, living off scraps. The elders can give their advice, but we should not be required to follow it. Instead we need a strong leader who can resolve any conflicts and make quick decisions.

oscar

Arcane
It's not really alternate human development. It wasn't rare for tribes and stone age cultures to be quite democratic.

Just because there's an option that doesn't fit to your conception of how I tribe from this age would behave doesn't mean that picking it is metagaming or "unrealistic". He wouldn't have included it if it wasn't a plausible choice so can we put that line of argument to rest?

Cassidy

Arcane
I'm thinking more about the long-term consequences of these choices would be alternate human development and how B would lead to a quite different start-up before the rise of the first civilization if such line of decisions it implies was kept along the way.

And where did I mention metagaming? If anything I am against these "Let's pretend we're cavemen for choices to be more realistic" LARPing concepts.

Esquilax

Arcane
A: The strongest, sharpest, most agile man should from now on take command of the tribe.

Only the mightiest ubermenschen is fit to lead the Clevite tribe into glory.

oscar

Arcane
Cassidy, I wasn't addressing you in particular.

As for long-term consequences, with A I imagine it'll be very hard to keep the leadership meritocratic and not hereditary but hopefully we'll be able to do so. The role of the sexes in our society will also be quite influenced by this. B and C would seem to keep the matriarchy - patriarchy balance (think Neanderthals, Iroquois, Basques and perhaps Celts) with women having a say in the tribe's decision making (I imagine making us more peaceful and diplomatic). A will take us down the Indo-European route of male political dominance and likely make us more aggressive, expansionist and "hot headed".

The choice should be obvious ;)

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Gonna go with A, if only in hopes that a new way of thinking from the younger generation will allow us to wade off of being a pack of fire-worshipping filth.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
B, lulz and i want to introduce sortition for public office soon.

C. Go back to playing consoles, laddies, and leave the grittymature serious business of deciding which games you play to the oldfag master race.

Internet

Scholar
A fellow Belpaesian Lp!

My choice is A, because in a primitive society, those with the bigger clubs rule all! Who wants to give control to senile geriatrics that will start discussing the importance of establishing a fair pension system to support the elderly? Those who slow us down should just be abandoned to their fate to purge the tribe from the weak.

oscar

Arcane
Rule by the strong and cunning! Not the cowards who hid in battle and managed to worm their way out of death's inevitable grasp. Those who die in their sleep are not men at all!

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Flopping to C because dumbfucks are trying to ruin this civilization with A

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom