Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Official Codex Star Citizen Squadron Thread

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
transshipkruvg.png

:hero:
richard-garriottt3uqs.jpg

Roberts Space Industries website
NetAndy's Guide to Star Citizen (aggregate of FAQs/known info)
Jump Point Issues 1-5, original Codex thread

The release of Star Citizen is still a year and a half away, but the new site is set to launch at the end of this month, the Hangar Module will be released in August, and the Dogfighting Module will be released in December. It's partially due to the launch of the new site (which will change the way pledges are handled) and the Dogfighting Module (playable only by those with alpha access, which may soon be unavailable) that I'm starting this thread now.

At this early date, I merely want to gauge interest in a Codex Star Citizen squadron. I'm not try-harding, I'm not attempting to "be in charge," nor am I looking for commitment—I only want to know who might be interested in the persistent multiplayer aspect of Chris Roberts' new game. For the sake of expressing interest only, assume that you'll like the game once it's released, that Chris will have delivered adequately on his promises, and that the game won't be pay-to-win by whatever definition(s) you ascribe to. In other words, if you think you might like to play but have serious doubts, set them aside for this hypothetical purpose.

The why of it: I'm willing to contribute significantly to the infrastructure and organization of the squadron. Using my own funds, I can set up a private VoIP server, establish an IRC channel, establish separate forums on a private domain utilizing XenForo software (if desired; we're probably not getting our own subforum on the Codex), commission a logo from an actual artist, and even buy the game/alpha access for ten or twenty Codexers (time-sensitive). Don't get too excited about that last one yet, as I'll need to be discerning so as not to waste money on people who'll demo the game for thirty minutes and then drop it.

Scrambling to organize all of that and see who's interested four days before the game launches would be an exercise in stupidity, thus the early gauging of interest. If no one gives a shit, that's completely fine too.

I also pledged for an Idris Corvette, which is a small capital ship that can berth and launch multiple single-seat fighters. It's a group asset, nigh-useless to an individual but very fancy when properly crewed.

Finally, I'm going to tag a bunch of people whom I've seen express interest in the original Star Citizen thread over in General Gaming. If I tag someone who's subsequently decided that they hate the game, then I apologize in advance.

fizzelopeguss GreyViper Syril circ Hellraiser IDtenT Trash Haba Keshik Morgoth
Jarpie HardDeck LeStryfe79 TalesfromtheCrypt J_C BlitzKitchen Turisas Jasede Zarniwoop FrancoTAU
Zed Grunker Matt7895 Multi-headed Cow WhiskeyWolf

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
I actually didn't even pledge yet, other kickstarters managed to take precedence. Looks like the lifetime insurance is still available too, but is it just for the ships you get with your pledge (so for example if you went with the bottom tier one, only your RSI Aurora would be covered permanently even if you acquired other ships later)?

deuxhero

Arcane
It's already going to be buy the game and no fees after that.

I'll wait till the full game is released and buy it if its good.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I actually didn't even pledge yet, other kickstarters managed to take precedence. Looks like the lifetime insurance is still available too, but is it just for the ships you get with your pledge (so for example if you went with the bottom tier one, only your RSI Aurora would be covered permanently even if you acquired other ships later)?

I'm not entirely clear on whether or not LTI is actually still available for either initial pledge ships or add-ons, but original backers are able to buy new ships and gift them with LTI. Besides which, LTI isn't a massively big deal—just the waiving of what should be fairly negligible fees. Regular insurance works the same as LTI, you just have to keep it paid up.

At some point I'm going to hit the chat roll and find out exactly what's what regarding LTI, gifting, and how pledges will work before and after the transition to the new site.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Turisas

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/lifetime-insurance-clarification/

Original backers such as myself will be able to buy and gift packages and add-ons at the original campaign prices, with LTI, up until November 26th. Same with anyone who backs before the new site launches, except not at original campaign prices.

So it seems I've got until November 26th to buy and gift cheap(er) LTI ships.

LTIv1.jpg

Multi-headed Cow

I expressed interest but didn't pledge 'cause I don't have much faith in them delivering all the great stuff they're talking about. But given your hypothetical situation of the goods being delivered I'd most likely play a bunch. Played and enjoyed me some Wing Commanders, Privateer (Not so much 2), Freelancer (Even as popamole as it is Freelancer was fun. And with persistent multiplayer servers it was fun with buddies) and my favorite of all, Hardwar.
However I probably wouldn't be a good person to buy a copy for (You sure you wanna do that? I mean shit, it's generous as hell, but damn) 'cause I usually play pretty weird hours nowadays. Don't play much MP because of it, I usually only play an hour here or an hour there, and usually late in the evening. Wouldn't be a reliable spacebro to show up at arranged times for missions/raiding parties/excursions into Watchwitz space. Even if I bought the game myself I wouldn't be a reliable space companion, I'd probably just show up whenever I show up.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Multi-headed Cow
I wouldn't marginalize someone just because they can't play 40 hours a week. Still, the manner in which I may gift copies of the game to Codexers is something I'll have to carefully consider, because it would be easy for people who could otherwise afford it to think to themselves, "Hey, Blaine's buying." Which would be true, but I have the less fortunate (people who live in potato, students, etc.) in mind mainly.

The combat alpha's coming up in December, but RSI has imposed a limit of 200,000 players for it, after which new pledges and new gifts will no longer grant alpha access. There may be a date-based cutoff as well, but if so, I'll need to find out what it is. There are 182,788 backers currently, leaving 17,212 slots. They could all be gone before December, and since the combat alpha is not the final game, I may give in and gift copies to Codexian fence-sitters so that they can play the alpha despite thinking the game will be terrible. My willingness to do that depends on the Codex's overall interest gauge before December rolls around, though.

You can see how easy that would be to abuse.

If there is enough interest, I may be willing to part with 10-20 $35 Digital Scout packages. But that "punishes" people who do pledge. It's a real quandary.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Blaine I'm definitely interested in Star Citizen, but I don't want to get too hyped until I can afford a more beastly PC.

Multi-headed Cow

Yep, can see what the difficulty would be. However, the 182,788 backers thing might not list everyone. No idea how they handle it, but for example would a ship/game pack purchased by you and gifted to someone else count as a new backer? And when it comes to that, would ship packs bought now and saved/unregistered count as before the cutoff date for the alpha? No idea.

If they do though, you could pick up a few game bundles now for the extra alpha access, then give them out to students/potatoes on the Codex at your leisure, or worst case scenario sell them to random people on the internet at cost if you change your mind about it. Presumably there are people out there interested in grabbing Star Citizen at the cheaper price/with LSI.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Yeah, it's complicated. At this time, a pledge package (not add-on) purchased before 26th Nov. 2012 will actually grant original backer status to the recipient if gifted. However, if an original backer gifts their only/last pledge package, they'll lose their original backer status. This will cease when the new website goes live. I only have one actual package (Constellation package), and I'm keeping it, so that's not an issue. When the new site does go live however, you'll be able to do all sorts of different shit with your pledges, including "melting them down" and trading them in for different packages.

This is the most complicated pre-order system that's ever been in all of human history. Given that CR's been away from the industry for forever and that CIG is new and had been flying by the seat of their pants, I think they've handled it well.

I'm almost entirely certain that as long as a pledge package is purchased or gifted before the pledger counter hits 200,000, then the recipient will get alpha/beta access. I'll ask later to be sure. I also think the pledger counter is probably very accurate, as they've long since integrated Kickstarter pledges and such.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I will definitely buy and play the game after release if it is good. I couldn't pledge back when the kickstarter ran, because I wasn't in a good shape financially (I'm still not). But in 2014, I will be in the cockpit. So yeah, I'm interested in this Codex stuff.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Very interested in this, but I'll admit that I've never good at games. If you don't mind a sub-par pilot in the group, I'm in.

I have a question for you though. This might sound silly considering you're the one who made the topic and all, but, do you think the game will deliver? I'm checking out the site for information right now and I'm tempted to pledge just for Lifetime ship insurance.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm not pledging as you know Blaine, but I think the idea of Codex squadron is boss and it's cool you want to manage it. Depending on reviews of the single-player part when the game comes out, I'll join up or not. If I join up, of course it'll be on Codexia's glorious side :salute:

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Honestly, not too interested in the Wing Commander SP part of the game - but it would be a great taster for what is to come. I'm very interested in the MMO part (I just hope it is not too twitchy and disadvantageous to keyboard warriors), but I'm not getting too exited just yet.

As for committing... If it was for tomorrow I'd be able to say yes - but I have no idea where I will be come six months so it's very difficult for me to say anything this early on.

Deleted member 7219

I pledged, but I'm not sure how good the multiplayer element is going to be. Chris Roberts is reminding me a lot of Peter Molyneux right now.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I have a question for you though. This might sound silly considering you're the one who made the topic and all, but, do you think the game will deliver? I'm checking out the site for information right now and I'm tempted to pledge just for Lifetime ship insurance.

I do think the game will deliver, yes. Chris Roberts is widely praised by his old guard industry colleagues for being an excellent project lead. He's said (by others) to begin projects with a near-complete vision of the final product in his mind, and he seems to have a singular talent for keeping his team on task and ensuring that the final product is realized to his satisfaction. His entire Origin track record reflects this. Star Citizen will certainly be his most ambitious project by a very wide margin, but I believe he and his team have a handle on the technology and on the logistical challenges involved.

There has never been a project quite like this one. When the crowdfunding campaign was in its infancy, Chris had a very impressive tech demo and pitch video to offer, as well as a massive prospectus describing the game's features in great detail. Now, RSI have a monthly 40- to 60-page e-zine for subscribers, a weekly 45-minute-long show (Wingman's Hangar) upon which Chris sometimes appears to answer player questions, he's done a shitload of interviews for various gaming sites and magazines, there are constant updates and in-universe fiction coming through the Comm-Link feed, their customer support is responsive, and developer interaction with the community is fantastic (there are even individual threads for each staff member where people can ask them questions). There's a steady, even overwhelming barrage of information about the game.

The ship models are being cranked out and rendered in-engine, the Hangar Module has already been demoed, they'll unveil their spruced-up and streamlined new website (plus a new ship and a bunch of other stuff) at the end of the month, and in general they're quite obviously Getting Things Done™.

Do I think some promised features might not make it in at launch in late 2014? It's entirely possible, but if so, I suspect they'll be implemented sooner rather than later. I also think the game might ship with absolutely every single feature and blow away the doubters.

anus_pounder

Arcane

I do think the game will deliver, yes. Chris Roberts is widely praised by his old guard industry colleagues for being an excellent project lead. He's said (by others) to begin projects with a near-complete vision of the final product in his mind, and he seems to have a singular talent for keeping his team on task and ensuring that the final product is realized to his satisfaction. His entire Origin track record reflects this. Star Citizen will certainly be his most ambitious project by a very wide margin, but I believe he and his team have a handle on the technology and on the logistical challenges involved.

There has never been a project quite like this one. When the crowdfunding campaign was in its infancy, Chris had a very impressive tech demo and pitch video to offer, as well as a massive prospectus describing the game's features in great detail. Now, RSI have a monthly 40- to 60-page e-zine for subscribers, a weekly 45-minute-long show (Wingman's Hangar) upon which Chris sometimes appears to answer player questions, he's done a shitload of interviews for various gaming sites and magazines, there are constant updates and in-universe fiction coming through the Comm-Link feed, their customer support is responsive, and developer interaction with the community is fantastic (there are even individual threads for each staff member where people can ask them questions). There's a steady, even overwhelming barrage of information about the game.

The ship models are being cranked out and rendered in-engine, the Hangar Module has already been demoed, they'll unveil their spruced-up and streamlined new website (plus a new ship and a bunch of other stuff) at the end of the month, and in general they're quite obviously Getting Things Done™.

Do I think some promised features might not make it in at launch in late 2014? It's entirely possible, but if so, I suspect they'll be implemented sooner rather than later. I also think the game might ship with absolutely every single feature and blow away the doubters.

:salute: Hmm...alright. I'm not completely sold on pledging yet, I can't shake the feeling it'll fall short of the promises. But I believe I still have a few weeks before veteran backer ends, I'll think on it. :bro:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Is there a subscription fee? Is there a separate charge for the single player game and the MMO? If not I'd be willing to check the online part out although I doubt I'd spend more than five or so hours a week. Maybe I could be the derpy trader ship or something. I haven't looked through much of the information because it's far too voluminous to delve through and I don't really feel like wrapping my head around something that's almost two years off.

Anyway, zero chance I'd kickstart but would consider on release if things turn out okay.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Is there a subscription fee? Is there a separate charge for the single player game and the MMO? If not I'd be willing to check the online part out although I doubt I'd spend more than five or so hours a week. Maybe I could be the derpy trader ship or something. I haven't looked through much of the information because it's far too voluminous to delve through and I don't really feel like wrapping my head around something that's almost two years off.

Anyway, zero chance I'd kickstart but would consider on release if things turn out okay.

Its apparently Pay2Play like GW2 and err...Defiance. (don't ask)

Anyway, I'm legitimately interested. This might be the first game worth backing, but let's see. I want to hear a bit more about the SP and PvE aspects. PvP is alright, but mostly if done with bros.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
What will the balance of PvP vs PvE be? Same as something PvP heavy like Eve? I'm in for that, I'm just really really shit at PvP - especially when it's real time.

The exact balance isn't clear, but Earth will essentially be the center of the civilized game world, and the closer you are to it, the more insulated you'll be from PvP. Punishments for even minor infractions in Earth's solar system will be severe, and it is heavily patrolled by the UEE navy. You'll be able to take on PvE missions and other PvE-related activities in relative safety. In lawless space, on the fringes of the game world, it'll be a free-for-all. There will be varying levels of security between these two extremes.

There will also be a "PvP slider" available:

We also asked Roberts about the design of the game's proposed PvP/PvE slider and whether players could change it on the fly. Roberts answered that the design choice wasn't set, but his instinct is for players to only be able to change the slider when planetside, preventing them from dodging imminent PvP. The idea is to have planets be save points, while space has none. Players who have their slider set to PvP will find more live players in the population in their area, whereas those who set it to PvE will have more AI.

The slider won't be an on/off switch though, particularly in lawless space.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom