Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's ITZ!

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The amount of cash and community support they are gathering is truly mind bending. I guess it has really been that long since a good space opera on the pc.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
so sad that it's pay2win

i liked the look of it

pay2win? i thought this was going to have singleplayer.

Any game that promises superawsumwinrar MMO with lots of stuff to do can't simultaneously have a superawsumwinrar single player. Like MHC said: you really think they are going to deliver the holy grail of video games complete with every feature ever?

This game looks to be crafted around an MMO base (sure, you can probably fuck around in the MMO world in single player with a bit of campaign stuff, buuuuut). That in mind, it's a shame they went with such a blatant P2W model. It did rake in 9 mill even from krutukul thunkung people like Blaine though, so who am I to argue?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
pay2win? i thought this was going to have singleplayer.

Backers are rewarded with barebones ship hulls, depending upon how much they pledge, and players will be allowed to purchase a limited quantity of game currency from a cash shop once the game goes live (this is in lieu of a monthly subscription fee). These factors only affect the MMO-like portion of the game, not the single-player campaign or user-hosted multiplayer.

A certain type of person will insist that any system whereby a player can purchase benefits for himself is pay2win. I played EVE for years, a game in which anyone with real-life cash can purchase subscription time and trade it for a functionally unlimited amount of in-game currency (and by extension, any ship hull or module in the game), as well as bid on "used" pilots at auction, some of whom have years' worth of skill points accumulated (extremely high-level characters, essentially). This isn't considered pay2win in EVE because having piles of game currency, lots of fancy ships, and a pilot with lots of skill points is in itself completely meaningless. What matters is a player's knowledge of the game, his skill at playing the game, and his network of contacts, friends, and corpmates. These cannot be purchased.

What's more, an intelligent EVE player will pay $0 (not even paying for a subscription, others do that for him) and work his way up to owning tens of thousands of real-life $ worth of in-game assets, more than any but millionaires in real life could afford to buy outright. In fact, EVE players love newfags who sink thousands of dollars into buying shit for themselves. We call then loot piñatas.

There do exist actual pay2win games, wherein a cash shop sells weapons that are stronger than any available normally in the game (or else it takes forever to obtain them normally) and other benefits for pay that offer distinct advantages over other players—advantages that are difficult or impossible to replicate without shelling out cash, and usually quite a bit of it. That's not even remotely the case with Star Citizen.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: I expect skill at piloting one's ship and the strength of a player's guild/network of contacts/et cetera to be much more important than a couple of free ship hulls and raw currency in Star Citizen. If not, the game won't be worth playing anyway (certainly not the MMO portion), and so the pay2win whining is moot one way or the other.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I just want an epic single player campaign, been such a long time since i enjoyed something like Freespace or Independence War. Is it possible to buy only the single player or will it come in a single package (login for mmo, offline for barebones singleplayer)?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
It's not possible to buy the single-player campaign separately, but the complete game will only cost $35 new, which is very reasonable.

The single-player campaign will feature a branching mission structure, much like its predecessors, and in general will be reminiscent of the flagship Wing Commander games from the 1990s in terms of length, tone, and so on. Chris has successfully developed a bunch of these already, and even if you're skeptical about the rest of it because it's too good to be true, the single-player campaign is the one aspect that will almost certainly deliver.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Selection of subscriber-only concept art for the Armitage system:

2_armitagesm24ukh.png

4_armitagekwsjr.jpg

6_armitagebauov.jpg

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
If there's a demand for this stuff, there's a lot more where it came from... but I have to reduce some of the high-res images to potato filesize before uploading, so it's labor-intensive. I'll work on it.

There's also Jump Point issues 1-5, which I should be able to re-upload to Dropbox.com in PDF format.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If there's a demand for this stuff, there's a lot more where it came from... but I have to reduce some of the high-res images to potato filesize before uploading, so it's labor-intensive. I'll work on it.
Batch resize them. It's not like anybody here would get his panties in a twist over some artifacts.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
All right, I'm waiting for the PDFs to sync with Dropbox now. I may also just dump all the concept art in there in .zip format and post a link.

Elthosian

Arcane
You are a true bro, Blaine, many thanks for uploading them, gonna read them all as soon as I get some free time <3

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
So Blaine, as you seem to look quite informed (and I don't want to read all the details right now). What are those different ships tiers? Is it only important for mmo part? (getting privileged start?).
How does that influence SP campaign? Or does it not at all? Or is it unknown?

To be honest, I am only interested in SP component at this point (Squadron 42), so was wondering if all those tiers are relevant at all in such case.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom