Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Of demons, goddesses, and dark spires. Let's play Ys Origin!

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
02origin337.jpg

Ys Origin is an action-JRPG released by Nihon Falcom for PC in 2006. It is a prequel to the famous action-RPG Ys series, being technically the seventh game in the series. Ys Origin takes place 700 years before the events of Ys I & II, telling the back story of Ys, Darm Tower, the Black Pearl, the two Goddesses, and the six priests. The game revolves around three characters as they journey through Darm Tower: Yunica Tovah, Hugo Fact and Thor Fact . Each character has their own motives for climbing the tower and playing through with all three characters will reveal the entirety of the events taking place.

This isn't an LP as such. Rather, this is a showing off of the new English translation for Ys Origin (2006, action-RPG). I'm not even sure this'll go beyond the first few updates, or whether or not I'll have the time for updating it at all. It doesn't matter; what I want is to bring your attention to this game. This is a PC game, by the way, so you don't need emulators or next-gen consoles to play it.

You can download the translation patch here, grab the original somewhere, and play the game yourself: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=446677

Give it a try if you like what you see.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
1: Intro

01origin003.jpg

2006 FALCOM PRESENTS

01origin010.jpg

It's beautiful!

01origin021.jpg

Welcome to the starting screen, where we spot the first translation mistake: "Option" instead of the usual "Options". Overall, however, the translation seems to be pretty solid.

01origin026.jpg

01origin027.jpg

Two characters to choose from: Hugo and Yunica. Only one choice is appropriate for a Codex LP, though.

01origin028.jpg

I go for Hard, 'cos I'm good (hopefully) but not crazy (totally).

01origin030.jpg

With that, the introductory cutscene kicks in. It's gonna be a long one.

01origin036.jpg

It was a paradise, granted unimaginable glory and prosperity under the auspices of its twin Goddesses and its Six Great Priests.

01origin045.jpg

Among them was the power of "magic", which allowed the enacting of miracles; and the silver metal "cleria", which was used to augment its efficacy.

01origin052.jpg

...Then one day, disaster struck.

01origin055.jpg

01origin060.jpg

01origin064.jpg

01origin069.jpg

01origin073.jpg

01origin076.jpg

Amidst this turmoil came another disastrous event, which would rock the very foundation of the Temple of Solomon.

01origin083.jpg

At this moment, when things looked their bleakest, the six Priests took matters into their own hands.

Choosing from amongst the best of the best, a search party of knights and sorcerers was formed.

These elite were dispatched back down to the darkened and desecrated land, to find the two missing Goddesses before calamity overtook what remained of Ys...

01origin095.jpg

Look, a petal!

01origin096.jpg

01origin097.jpg

01origin100.jpg

So idyllic.

01origin104.jpg

01origin107.jpg

Must be Yunica, our heroine.

01origin109.jpg

01origin110.jpg

All peaceful.

01origin114.jpg

01origin115.jpg

01origin117.jpg

The sanctuary of the Goddesses.

01origin118.jpg

01origin121.jpg

01origin122.jpg

With Yunica sitting happily at their feet.

01origin124.jpg

01origin125.jpg

01origin126.jpg

And this must be Hugo, the one whose route we didn't choose to follow.

01origin128.jpg

He's a pensive one.

01origin134.jpg

A fatherly figure appears next to him. Then everything fades to black.

01origin138.jpg

01origin140.jpg

Darkness covers the land below.

01origin141.jpg

01origin142.jpg

Demons are born.

01origin143.jpg

01origin145.jpg

Flying off to destroy the temple high above.

01origin146.jpg

01origin151.jpg

Things look grim.

01origin153.jpg

01origin154.jpg

The land is ruined and engulfed in flame.

01origin156.jpg

But Hugo and the fatherly figure stand strong against the forces of darkness.

01origin166.jpg

A crater beneath the dark spire.

01origin169.jpg

01origin171.jpg

And the monumental spire itself.

01origin172.jpg

They sound the alarm: something terrible has happened.

01origin173.jpg

01origin179.jpg

01origin182.jpg

Yunica runs to the shrine as fast as she can.

01origin188.jpg

01origin190.jpg

01origin195.jpg

But the Goddesses have disappeared.

01origin195.jpg

01origin197.jpg

Leaving but an ephemeral trace behind.

01origin203.jpg

A council is immediately gathered.

01origin205.jpg

And a rescue party is formed.

01origin209.jpg

To find the goddesses and bring them back.

01origin211.jpg

01origin217.jpg

The party descends to the devastated land below in some kind of bright glowing ball.

01origin222.jpg

01origin223.jpg

01origin225.jpg

It sure is dangerous down here.

01origin231.jpg

01origin233.jpg

Three persons -- not of the rescue party, it seems -- are observing it all.

01origin238.jpg

01origin242.jpg

01origin246.jpg

Is this Hugo? Must be him.

01origin253.jpg

01origin254.jpg

01origin258.jpg

Meanwhile, some kind of sorcerer is working his magic atop the tower.

01origin264.jpg

01origin266.jpg

01origin268.jpg

With his dark powers, he tries to stop the bright glowing ball from landing.

01origin272.jpg

01origin274.jpg

He succeeds in reaching for the ball.

01origin287.jpg

And the rescue party is now scattered across the land.

The cutscene ends here, and Yunica's route begins.

01origin318.jpg

But I made a promise, long ago... that I would become a Knight.

I would be like my father, and guard them both with my life

(So Yunica is a guardian of the Goddesses.)

01origin321.jpg

I will be a Sacred Knight, and protect Feena and Reah...

Yunica wakes up alone.

01origin325.jpg

yunica_pensive.png
Where am I?

yunica_cheerful.png
Let's see...

01origin327.jpg

Black Cat

Magister
I love Yunica's clothes. More role playing games should have pretty dresses and cute equipment like that instead of armor and sorcerous bikinis. Therefore, I aprove of this LP at least for as long as it will take me to decide whether to play it myself or not. I never had even heard of this game.

Thoguh from the screenshots of the intro I seem to have a bit of fanart of those fashionable angel girls. The one with the long flowing coat I totally envy the clothes of.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
So, it's another obscure weeaboo game? Cool! Obligatory Codex question (better me than anyone else): does it feature tasteful rape C&C?

Also, does the gameplay change much if you select that dude for our hero?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Probably more ranged attack / melee gameplay difference thing ala Dungeon Siege III...storyline wise...they will converge at some point, I suppose.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Mrowak said:
So, it's another obscure weeaboo game?

Well, I wouldn't call any of the Ys games "obscure". They're widely considered to be among the best action-RPG series, like, ever. This is the 7th game in the series. Here's a description adapted from Wikipedia (I've edited it into the OP as well):

Ys Origin is an action-JRPG released by Nihon Falcom for PC in 2006. It is a prequel to the famous action-RPG Ys series, being technically the seventh game in the series. Ys Origin takes place 700 years before the events of Ys I & II, telling the back story of Ys, Darm Tower, the Black Pearl, the two Goddesses, and the six priests. The game revolves around three characters as they journey through Darm Tower: Yunica Tovah, Hugo Fact and Thor Fact . Each character has their own motives for climbing the tower and playing through with all three characters will reveal the entirety of the events taking place.

Mrowak said:
Cool! Obligatory Codex question (better me than anyone else): does it feature tasteful rape C&C?

I'm not sure if there's any C&C apart from the traditional "you must play through the game with each of the characters to experience the full story" gimmick. The characters do play differently, though, as is to be expected. Yunica is a melee fighter with two weapons: an axe and a sword; the axe is quicker, but the sword reaches longer. There are naturally some combos and special attacks as well. Hugo is a mage specializing is ranged combat. There's also the third hidden character, unlocked after you complete the game at least once.

Black Cat said:
I love Yunica's clothes. More role playing games should have pretty dresses and cute equipment like that instead of armor and sorcerous bikinis. Therefore, I aprove of this LP at least for as long as it will take me to decide whether to play it myself or not. I never had even heard of this game.

Thoguh from the screenshots of the intro I seem to have a bit of fanart of those fashionable angel girls. The one with the long flowing coat I totally envy the clothes of.

The clothes are cool, totally. :sisfist:

RK47 said:
'Girl with breasts'? :smug:

Oh you would wish, wouldn't you? :roll:

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Crooked Bee said:
Mrowak said:
So, it's another obscure weeaboo game?

Well, I wouldn't call any of the Ys games "obscure". They're widely considered to be among the best action-RPG series, like, ever. This is the 7th game in the series. Here's a description adapted from Wikipedia (I've edited it into the OP as well):

Mrowak said:
Cool! Obligatory Codex question (better me than anyone else): does it feature tasteful rape C&C?

I'm not sure if there's any C&C apart from the traditional "you must play through the game with each of the characters to experience the full story" gimmick. The characters do play differently, though, as is to be expected. Yunica is a melee fighter with two weapons: an axe and a sword; the axe is quicker, but the sword reaches longer. There are naturally some combos and special attacks as well. Hugo is a mage specializing is ranged combat. There's also the third hidden character, unlocked after you complete the game at least once.

In other words there is no other option for me than download this. Goddamn, I wish I had as much free time on my hands as I used to have.

Black Cat said:

The clothes are cool, totally. :sisfist:

Yeah. It may be the sure sign I am old-fashioned, or a male chauvinist (or both) but I really miss the times when most women used to wear long skirts, on daily basis, as in Yunica's example. There's something inherently attractive in it.

Not to mention that in gaming terms the idea of chainmail bikinis we have now in every second game has been old since like late 70s.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Heh, I was expecting someone to ask that. The thing is, this is a prequel with totally new characters, yeah. Personally I'm fine with that, but I can imagine Ys fans being disappoint. :P

Crooked Bee

Patron
Spoilt by Black Cat's awesome update rate, aren't we?

The next update will hopefully be up a bit later today. It will be mostly expository, introducing Yunica's story and a few side characters, and having only a tutorial battle with some basic combat moves.

spekkio

Arcane
Change resizing option for screenshots / lower game resolution - screens are borked:

02origin178.jpg

:/

Crooked Bee

Patron
Yeah, I've noticed that. 800x600 is a supported resolution in the config, though, and I'm not resizing anything, so I'm not sure what or why the problem is. I'll try experimenting around!

Crooked Bee

Patron
Yeah, I'm using FRAPS, too.

EDIT: So it's settled; trilinear filter it is. Thanks, spekkio-kun!

spekkio

Arcane
CB said:
Is that kosher, spekkio-kun?
:thumbsup:

5m5wd.jpg

Also: don't forget about the adventures of another pretty princess (suffering from pumpkin-phobia).

:obviously:

*Edit - what do you need FrameSkip=5 for? :?

Crooked Bee

Patron
spekkio said:
*Edit - what do you need FrameSkip=5 for? :?

No clue, it's just the default option when clicking "High".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom