Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I love PE lore so far. They are doing great. Maybe it is because I'm a fan of Celtic mythology.

Diablo169

Arcane
I must admit I haven't watched/read the last few, its mostly seemed to be about Avellone's lets play which hasn't really been that interesting thus far. Will have a look and catch up :)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Unwanted

Cursed Beaver

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Queued
George Ziets said:
Cursed_Beaver said:
Can you expand on the concept of god and divinity in Project Eternity? Will you have an original take on this concept? Will the god be the typical omniscient raw power source, or something different, more mysterious?
I can’t provide many details here, mainly because the nature of the gods is a secret that won’t be known to players (or anyone else in the world) at the start of the game. In fact, the answers may only be hinted in the first game and left a mystery for later titles. The gods are not all-powerful puppet-masters who are merely manipulating the world of mortals. Their nature is a good deal more mysterious… even, sometimes, to one another. There are some gods (most of whom haven’t been revealed to the public yet) who are viewed as enigmas (or even feared) by many of their divine peers. Indeed, the “nature of the gods” is probably not going to be a single revelation, as not all the gods are necessarily the same.

I asked here : http://youreply.net/question.php?id=17207 .

It really does feel like Celtic Mythology. And I find that very appealing.
Eluding gods, obscure some ways, but yet not Almighty, pretty humble on many aspects. You can find a god on an adventure, feeling as clueless as you are, and saving him from a bunch of wolves that were surrounding him.
And maybe even end up having a beer with him.
Yet a part of his complexion would completely elude you, being ungraspable for most mortals.

gromit

Arcane
Except for the races, I love how the mythology is shaping up. I really like the idea of Mystary!!!! in a game about how the world was conceived.
Right? Always baffled me that a frequent first step in designing fictional faiths is to delineate exactly what happened. Along the same lines, I loved how Morrowind simultaneously cast you as The Chosen One, and The Arbitrarily Chosen One (Who Conveniently Worked Out Okay.) You're both a sociopolitical tool used for the manipulation of an indigenous people, and their messiah. The two seemingly opposite ideas mesh perfectly well... the answer to that unanswered question changes everything, while being completely moot.

It's frankly one of the more accurate depictions of real-world religion I've seen in any media. At the end of the day, you believe what you want, but are unable to fully escape the repercussions of what society / the state believe (as it slowly shifts like sands across the dunes.)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Arcanum's UI is perfectly fine. Certainly not the worst UI I've ever come across in an RPG.
In fact, Arcanum's UI was rather elegant.
For example, the game signposts the "auto-sort" inventory button.
It features highly customizable quickslots.
"To Hit" is clearly displayed before you make an attack.
At a glance, the user can instantly determine cash reserves and ammunition.
Buffs appear at the top of the screen, and the game illustrates remaining buff slots.

Tell me, what part of the design did you dislike?
The whole merchant inventory thing is enough by itself to deride Arcanum's interface.
See, you can accidentally equip your items on a merchant so it's bad. :cool:

1eyedking

Erudite
Hay guise, what's the general Codex consensus on this soon someday vaporware-to-be piece of crap?

You guys still have hope on this or what?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That missionaria protectiva thing? Yeah, now that you mention it, it's very close.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
vaporware-to-be piece of crap?

Vaporware?? I mean, piece of crap maybe...but vaporware? Why would that ever be the case in a million alternate dimensions? Obsidian's reputation and likely...life....is over if this game doesn't come out near the promised date, let alone at all.

Also: Somebody just brofisted a post I made on page 30 of this near 600 page thread. o_O

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Hay guise, what's the general Codex consensus on this soon someday vaporware-to-be piece of crap?

You guys still have hope on this or what?
Hey 1eyedking, did you finally come out under your rock? And I see you started to be edgy right away.

1eyedking

Erudite
I was asking seriously. You know it's gonna be NWN2 all over again, after all the concept art flying around the genericness of this game has reached epic proportions. Guys are given a chance for a unique IP and they decide to copy D&D genasi.

I mean, you can't be serious.

Really, genasi?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Well so far, it seems to be turning out to have a number of Darkland's mechanics so it so far sounds pretty good.

Bony

Learned
Queued
:2/5: for getting attention.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom