Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yep, I remember that interview. He spelled it all out there.

We would love to make a Fallout: New Vegas-style game or something like Dragon Age, Mass Effect, or The Witcher; we’d love to make a game like that. But if we can’t own the IP, we will make it Eternity-style

Eg, Tyranny.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I came to think of something. When I saw the Biomutant character creation, my mind directly thought of what Tim Cain has said about geometric stuff.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I wonder if they hired any decent new writers for the secret project.

Latelistener

Arcane
Chris Parker was brought in as lead producer/game director and Chris Avellone (another owner) as lead designer.
I assume Chris Avellone replaced Brian Mitsoda, and Chris Parker replaced... ?

Fairfax

Arcane
Chris Parker was brought in as lead producer/game director and Chris Avellone (another owner) as lead designer.
No, that's the fun part. Alpha Protocol simply didn't have a Project Lead or a Lead Designer until they came along.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Avellone replaced both Mitsoda and Raymond Holmes :M

https://www.linkedin.com/in/raygor
Lead Designer
Obsidian Entertainment
August 2006 – January 2008 (1 year 6 months)Orange County, California Area
Lead Designer on Alpha Protocol 3rd person Spy/Action/RPG
Managed team of thirteen designers, including full task scheduling; hired designers and joined interviews for company-wide open positions; worked closely with Owners and Publisher to craft, maintain and communicate game vision.

Gotta be harsh here but "fired for incompetence" was the likely reason for his dismissal.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
I believe I read a Josh post somewhere where he said Obsidian didn't have "project directors" until around 2007-2008 when that became his role on Aliens.

Fairfax

Arcane

Avellone replaced both Mitsoda and Raymond Holmes :M

https://www.linkedin.com/in/raygor
Lead Designer
Obsidian Entertainment
August 2006 – January 2008 (1 year 6 months)Orange County, California Area
Lead Designer on Alpha Protocol 3rd person Spy/Action/RPG
Managed team of thirteen designers, including full task scheduling; hired designers and joined interviews for company-wide open positions; worked closely with Owners and Publisher to craft, maintain and communicate game vision.

Gotta be harsh here but "fired for incompetence" was the likely reason for his dismissal.
I always assumed this meant the game didn't have a Lead Designer:

It didn’t have a Project Lead or a Lead Designer for a chunk of its early inception and production, and then at the two year mark, Chris Parker became Project Director and I volunteered to become Lead Designer on it in the absence of a Lead Designer.

I guess it's possible the absence of a Lead Designer was due to that guy being fired.

Latelistener

Arcane
Avellone replaced both
update-31-avellone.jpg

Quillon

Arcane

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Keep your eyes peeled for any Obsidian writers on LinkedIn who you know who aren't working on PoE2.

Flou

Arbiter
I wonder if they hired any decent new writers for the secret project.

Umm... Boyarsky?
Would he really be counted? From my understanding, among the five writers on Bloodlines, he did the least work. Did he have much involvement on the writing side on Arcanum?

Well, he did write for Bloodlines and Diablo 3. As a Creative Lead and probably in this case as a world builder/designer he will influence a lot when it comes to writing even if his own word count won't be that large. Same goes Tim Cain on this project obviously if it's really Cain & Boyarsky doing most of the heavy lifting when it comes to building the new IP.
It's hard to say for sure since we don't know who from Obsidian's normal narrative design team is involved. Obviously they are quite busy with Deadfire and Tyranny DLCs

Flou

Arbiter
Keep your eyes peeled for any Obsidian writers on LinkedIn who you know who aren't working on PoE2.

Are there any who aren't working on Deadfire?

Kirsch, Patel, Starks and that new junior writer they added are all working on Deadfire. Constant Gaw and Matt MacLean are busy with Tyranny DLC #2. Matthew Perez who worked on Tyranny is doing Area design on Deadfire.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Why do I get the feeling this will be something cool and familiar like Fallout at the base but with a zany layer of dumb shit on top to make it different, basically looking like Horizon Zero Dawn / LawBreakers.

How's this a problem, exactly? Fallout also took something cool and familiar like post-apo, and added a zany layer of dark humor and pop culture references to make it different.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Kirsch, Patel, Starks and that new junior writer they added are all working on Deadfire. Constant Gaw and Matt MacLean are busy with Tyranny DLC #2. Matthew Perez who worked on Tyranny is doing Area design on Deadfire.

Strange assumption to make that there's going to be a Tyranny DLC #2

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Last time I checked, Obsidian begged Activision either to let them license or outright buy Arcanum and was told no to both.

No, what I mean is that describing something as "it will be enjoyed by Fallout fans" doesn't mean it'll be post-apocalyptic.

Well, Troika was working on a post-apocalyptic game. This is something that Fallout fans would like, I think...

We know this game is not Star Wars or Vampire, so this is a good guess...

I just dont get the UE4. They dont need it.

Flou

Arbiter

Even stranger to assume there won't be one. They added 3 quests for companions, leaving 3 for the 2nd DLC. Knowing Paradox they are more than likely to have a 2nd DLC for the game.

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2

Even stranger to assume there won't be one. They added 3 quests for companions, leaving 3 for the 2nd DLC. Knowing Paradox they are more than likely to have a 2nd DLC for the game.

I'm still waiting for the historical disfavored outfits DLC myself. Everybody knows the Disfavored had a greater variety of sprite costumes than there are currently ingame.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

I also think there will be a DLC #2. In fact the CEO of Paradox said something like this:

“I think that, hopefully, it will take off a bit more in the long-term sales. We'll see, if we get a couple of expansions out, if that changes anything.”

https://www.pcgamesn.com/tyranny/tyranny-sales-paradox-obsidian

Nano

Arcane
Patron
I just dont get the UE4. They dont need it.
Why? If they're working on an AAA game and they're not going for the inhouse route with the engine, then Unreal is the best option.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom