Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Ninjerk

Arcane
Check out Jorge Husbando:
c7a79927d0bc7dd201c446fea00428e0.png

Prime Junta

You people are acting like Obsidian was ever going to work on a good TB RPG and not some popamole bullshit for mainstream RPG fans. Just look at their release history ffs.

JES's FYSMD historical dream RPG that Fearg supposedly greenlighted is TB. If that's not a recipe for intense Codexian rage I don't know what is.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
You people are acting like Obsidian was ever going to work on a good TB RPG and not some popamole bullshit for mainstream RPG fans. Just look at their release history ffs.

JES's FYSMD historical dream RPG that Fearg supposedly greenlighted is TB. If that's not a recipe for intense Codexian rage I don't know what is.

When did this greenlight happen?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What do you mean by "greenlight"? The project obviously haven't been officially signed yet, so anything could happen. But the fact that Josh is talking about it and saying "I plan to do this" means it has a good chance of happening. He's a very cautious person.

Sizzle

Arcane
At this stage, it's probably more of a gentlemen's agreement between JS and Feargus - if PoE2 does well enough, he'll let Sawyer make his historical TB game.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I do recall him talking about it in the JES interview, but there he said that if people want him to do this game then they need to pester Feargus about it to show him that people are interested in that type of game. It's still pretty far from being confirmed.

Prime Junta

I do recall him talking about it in the JES interview, but there he said that if people want him to do this game then they need to pester Feargus about it to show him that people are interested in that type of game. It's still pretty far from being confirmed.

The interview was done in August; he started talking about it much more definitively later on.

axedice

Cipher
I'm raging a bit, or does Boyarsky have a sick sense of humor and love triggering people?

I'd say he's more of a snake oil salesman.

Leonard Boyarsky said:
The hardest thing to accomplish when creating an RPG is to make an in-depth RPG that sells. Now I know all you purists out there think that what's important is the quality of the game and not how much it sells, but try finding a new contract when your last game sells less than 400,000 units. The ultimate challenge for an RPG developer is to find some kind of hook that will convince the marketing dept at your prospective publisher that this really isn't a "hardcore RPG" they're going to have to sell, it's an action RPG! (My skin is already crawling.) So not only do you, as an RPG designer, have to create a compelling RPG (which is, in my opinion, one of the most difficult genres to do right) you also have to find a way to sell it as something else - or, at the very least, an RPG hybrid of some sort. But never state it's a hardcore RPG to the marketing people - it tends to give them seizures.

They might take the Witcher route with shitty action combat and good writing / world building. Also remember Tim Cain stating that he'd like to build a game equaling Underrail in depth. The creators of Arcanum at the least deserve some confidence.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'll say it again: It shouldn't be a surprise that the guy who just spent a decade working on an isometric game wants to try something else. Yes, I know, it's not that kind of isometric but for an artist like Boyarsky, that may not matter as much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom