Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian Entertainment

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Ed123 said:
Menckenstein said:
Prediction:

that Wheel of Time game they're making gets canned and they end up making a sequel.

Nobody knows what was going on with that WoT game. WORD ON DA STREET is that Obsidian were briefly consulted about it but nothing came out of the whole process. *shrug*

Oh well, we'll always have that awkward FPS from Legend.

I had a blast with the multiplayer on that.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
ushfz.jpg

Obshitian sucks. They haven't made a single complete good game. They've made games that, on balance, fall a bit toward the good side (MOTB and NV), but the gameplay in both of those are shit shit shit.

aron searle

Arcane
Explain this to me.

New vegas used and built upon beths engine and game mechanics.

KOTOR2, used and worked upon biowares engine and game mechanics

MOTB, they worked with bioware (wiki says they had support).

AP, their own engine, their own game mechanics?

DS3, as above?

hmmm. Is their a correlation their to be made with quality?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
CrunchyHemorrhoids said:
aron searle said:
AP, their own engine

No.
Yep, AP is Unreal engine. Only DS3 used their own engine.

And like my brother in arms, Vaarna_Aarne said: I LIKED ALPHA PROTOCOL THIS MUCH!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Here is the handy Shit-O-Meter™

Code:
Complete Shit                                  Shit                                        Kinda Shitty
|---|-----------------------------------------------|----------------------------------|-------------------------
    Bethesda Softworks                              BioWare                            Obsidian

Glad I could help.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Jaesun said:
Here is the handy Shit-O-Meter™

Code:
Complete Shit                                  Shit                                        Kinda Shitty
|---|-----------------------------------------------|----------------------------------|-------------------------
    Bethesda Softworks                              BioWare                            Obsidian

Glad I could help.
P. accurate. :salute:

GreyViper

Prophet
Ed123 said:
Alpha Protocol: Total shit, had some good ideas that weren't properly implemented. Ignites Fourth Codexian Civil War.
Now this is interesting and what was the end result of that "uprising"? To be honest my only complaint abou the game was that it was short and that hacking mini game. Still better then last splinter cell game.
Anyway pray do tell me what developer is on the other end of rainbow Shit-O-Meter?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Castin' a line, reelin' it in...
l3loodAngel said:
Roguey said:
I'd hardly call either of those great, mediocre at best. They're not particularly fun to play which is the most important aspect of any given game regardless of genre.

They were both fun for me.Ofcourse they are not as fun as FO, but still fun nonetheless. And they are both in my top 10 rpgs.
I guess you really care about writing enough that it makes you overlook bland/bad everything else. Nothing wrong with that.

J_C said:
Yet they are our last hope for good mainstream RPGs (they and Piranha Bytes). Or are you putting your faith into Bioware and Bethesda?
I think Eidos Montreal is going to be the dark horse in this race. Check out the night and day response here to DS3 and the Human Revolution leak. Obsidian has heart but no brain, and experience but no skill. I'll keep supporting the idiot savant if only because they're fun to kick around.

CrimsonAngel said:
If you want to be some mainstream cunt hole who can't see the good in some of these games then you should join Kotaku or something because YOUR opinion gel more with that site.
I enjoyed the role playing and pacing of MotB and I'll be able to have definitive thoughts on TSL soonish but that doesn't mean they're not mediocre. Unfortunate side effect of being built on bad combat engines with combat being a core part of the experience. And if you removed the fighting in both you'd just end up doing a lot of walking to and from exposition dumps which would be boring and they'd might as well make a visual novel.

Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
Obshitian sucks. They haven't made a single complete good game. They've made games that, on balance, fall a bit toward the good side (MOTB and NV), but the gameplay in both of those are shit shit shit.
DS3 has decent gameplay for a brawler (but only the brawling, the RPG elements are lousy). I'm in the middle of a second run now. It's still fun, but I'll have to give it a nice long break after this so I don't burn out.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Jaesun said:
Code:
Glad I could help.
As much as it saddens me, this is pretty accurate. I like Obsidian's games, I really do, but that's always despite all their flaws and all the shitty decisions that always seem to go into their making. But none of this matters because

anus_pounder said:
I LIKED ALPHA PROTOCOL THIS MUCH!

chineseyeeahh.png
:love:

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
edit: ^^ :lol:

I guess I'm always going to be a brown noser. I can't help it. It's not like it's my fault that I liked every one of their games. Alpha Protocol is my favorite. What a great game.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Andyman Messiah said:
edit: ^^ :lol:

I guess I'm always going to be a brown noser. I can't help it. It's not like it's my fault that I liked every one of their games. Alpha Protocol is my favorite. What a great game.

Alpha Protocol is the only game that ever manged to make me fell like i was verbally jousting with some one.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I hear you bro! Alpha Protocol 2 please!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
sgc_meltdown said:
So where does CDP and Larian stand on that list :M

CDP is around where Obsidian is (they have no excuses, as they are self published). Larian and PB is however far off to the right of the chart, so they didn't show up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom