Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Obsidian Kickstarter (Update: Not really, dammit Duraframe) (Banned Duraframe - DU)

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The fact Fitty Cent is wearing a Knicks jersey makes it oh so much powerfull

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Obsidian is larger by far, ~110-120 employees vs inXile's ~20-30.

Of course, only a minority of those would work on a Kickstarter title.
Obsidian could conceivably transition into working on 5 PE sized games at a time.

7YmWq3v.png

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That's not what i said. But a lot of the praises received by the show, from the industry to political figures, conveniently leave out the social dimension. If you only acknowledge the entertainment side, you leave out the reason why the show had a soul and was relevant.
I don't know who you listen to, but most people do talk about the social aspect when explaining why it's good.

tuluse

Arcane
You'll have to explain to me why a small project can share resources with a large project but not another small project.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I was just scrolling through their articles. For me it shows the most recent article, about Moore's law, was published at 9 pm. The last two days their last article was published at 10 pm.

Those aren't my local times though.

Yeah, that 9PM article was published 2 hours ago.

Meh, maybe they got contacted by Obsidian and couldn't reveal the interview yet or they had technical problems. Will see tomorrow.

tuluse

Arcane
I disagree with a lot of what you're saying.

Look at all the systems work they've done for PE, that's all done. They could make another team just makes content for it.

tuluse

Arcane
Actually, I want to go into more detail.

They can share resources. But one of those(or several of those) small projects is going to have to pay for it. And it won't be as easy for those smaller projects to pay for things as it is for a large publisher backed project to pay for things.
If the small project is in budget, it's in budget. They could have another project "leech" off the work done. Like my previous example.

Also, when you make a game for a publisher, usually you are actually forbidden from sharing resources. Whatever they pay for, is for the game you're making for them and that's it.

On the other hand, if Obsidian was managing their own 5 projects, it wouldn't be 5 completely separate teams. They could do them all on the same engine for instance. That's a huge savings over being forced to use whatever engine the publisher wants. Look at DS3 when Obsidian was finally able to use their own engine they had experience with. Produced quickly and pretty bug free.

So I reject your entire idea of efficiencies and think it's the opposite actually.

Not that Obsidian would be able to pull off the three or so kickstarters a year to fund them anyway. People won't keep pledging lot's of money and putting in the energy spreading the word if they keep happening that regularly. The money they make from PE probably won't be enough to pay for another project anyway, not unless it is insanely successful and while I hope it is I'm realistic.
I bet PE sells 1 million copies on the name Obsidian alone. Assume $10 per copy for Obsidian after fees and sales and such, and that's 2 more project eternities.

The real way that Obsidian will make out like bandits is by using PE to make the PE franchise valuable and then being able to use that to get a good deal with publishers(since they are bringing the IP to the table) that allows them to get a good cut of the royalties from a larger size game in the PE franchise that is publisher funded.
I don't really care about them making out like bandits. I don't really want more AA and 1/2A games from them, I want smaller more personal games.

Oesophagus

Arcane
The money they make from PE probably won't be enough to pay for another project anyway, not unless it is insanely successful and while I hope it is I'm realistic.

The real way that Obsidian will make out like bandits is by using PE to make the PE franchise valuable and then being able to use that as some leverage in negations to get a good deal with publishers(since Obsidian will be bringing the IP to the table) that allows them to get a good cut of the royalties from a larger size game in the PE franchise that is publisher funded.

Now you see, the problem is that if the franchise doesn't make them money, publishers won't even go near it. Publishers want cookie cutter slam dunks, not niche oriented games which may please a few neckbeards, but don't pay for blow and hookers.

Conversely, if it does make money and they do get a publishing deal, any future games will have to be multi-platform and mouthbreather friendly, thus defeating the original intent entirely.

So it's either self funding or kickstarter for Obsidian, if you hope for anything noteworthy.

Or cosy up to CDProject

tuluse

Arcane
Some math on things, if Obsidian switched to 5 PE sized games per year. Their burn rate is reportedly 1 million per month. Lets assume a product time of 3 years for each game to account for inevitable delays. They would need to make 36 million in revenue from 5 titles, or about 7.5 million per title. So each title would have to come close to selling a million copies on average. That might be unreasonable.

tuluse By resources I don't mean game assets. I mean things like physical facilities, development tools, content pipelines, as well as processes and procedures.
They already have all those things though.

The two aren't mutually exclusive.
Which is why they've managed to make so many of them the past 10 years, right?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The embargo is lifted! Interview with MCA about Obsidian's upcoming kickstarted RPG here. I just skimmed it so far. Not much real info, but he does say it won't be Fantasy, and hints that it may be hard sci-fi.

Rake

Arcane
They will certainly make enough money for smaller scale projects, especially if they are sequels using already established resources as you point out. But I doubt they will make another 4.5+ mil from PE though. And it is certainly doubtful to say that money from PE will allow then to launch three or four similarly sized projects.

They will almost certainly try and get publishers to fund PE franchise games though if it i successful. Because that is he surest ay bring them a whole lot of money.

They will probably to continue to make smaller budget games like PE though. Not all of them will be hits that make them loads of money though.
Eeh, 4M$ would require less than 150000 copies. PE will propably sell 10 times as much. More than enough for PE2(significantly bigger than PE)
Plus nothing stops them to kickstart another game and work at it at the same time they work on PE2.
If PE2 and the NEW IP are succesfull, they can fund their sequels while Obsidian kickstarts yet another game. All that while working in AAA projects at the same time.

The difference is that an increasing Number of employees will work in self funded games and less and less on AAA crap. And if their AA games are succesfull, at some point Obsidian will have enough money to swich to full independent and self fund a AAA game by themselves.
The whole "five mid sized games at the same time" won't happen overnight.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Over eight pages of Obsidian fanwank in a single day, incredible.

This is my superiority face:
3d017f7ba5a9cd33184a37342b2f7d50839cca41_full.jpg

I hope Feargus Urquhart called Grayson and was all "Whoa there, that was off-the-record! Don't give it away!"

I bet PE sells 1 million copies on the name Obsidian alone. Assume $10 per copy for Obsidian after fees and sales and such, and that's 2 more project eternities.

You forgot that it will bring also a steady income way after the release. Having some free money every month will make things more stable and safe.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Nah, I already stole one of Lesi's faces, that's just one I'm borrowing for two very-appropriate occasions.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
One of you Codex staff have connections so you should prod someone from Obsidian on twitter for some info. So we at least know is it sci-fi, steampunk or something else...
Uh, yeah... I don't think they will tell anyone.

Duraframe should get a spanking for this thread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom