Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Beamdog's final enhancement - now with new premium modules

Deleted member 7219

If they REALLY want to earn the ENHANCED meme they need to ENHANCE Aribeth's bewbs. :)

P.S. SOU is the worst NWN official campaign. It is not good. At all.

I liked SoU but I agree that it is the worst of the three original campaigns.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
Deciding what to put in an enhanced NWN is actually quite tricky. The number one priority ought to be preserving compatibility with existing modules and custom content (since they are the reason for playing NWN), but every change one introduces increases the probability of introducing bugs and compatibility issues. So it seems to me that Beamdog is actually taking the right approach in not being too ambitious and only making a few modest adjustments. As a long time module builder for NWN, that is exactly what I would have advised them to do, and apparently whatever other modders they did consult advised them similarly. This positive assessment is of course provisional, and based on the optimistic assumption that they actually succeed in not breaking existing modules.

Most every enhancement that NWN could benefit from, assuming it is practical for it to be done at all by anyone, has already been provided by the existing modding community. That raises the question of whether there is actually any point in an enhanced edition. To which the answer is unfortunately yes. It has become increasingly difficult to run NWN on up-to-date operating systems and video cards. Every system seems to be different, and some people still run it without issue, but many cannot, and getting it to work frequentlly requires lots of tweaking that are bound to be an obstacle to the game being played by any but the most committed. The game also suffers from an undeservedly poor reputation, based on the poor quality of the official campaigns, and could use more publicity for the tremendous and probably unrivaled opportunities it presents as a modding and multiplayer platform.

To sum up, the only enhancements NWN really needs are improved compatibility with modern systems, and a marketing department. In a best case scenario, Beamdog would provide both, without courting trouble by trying to change too much.

In a worst case scenario, of course, it will not succeed in doing much except further fragmenting the community of NWN players and modders. This could also happen. As a module builder I already foresee one nuisance it is likely to create: I will probably need at some point to maintain separate installs of the original and enhanced NWN so I can test and debug for players of both versions. Furthermore, as it seems there will not be forward compatibility (i.e., modules made with the EE will not be playable with the original NWN), I myself will probably still be forced to jump through hoops to get the original NWN working on any new machine I get, to keep building with that, since I have no desire to make the later Swordflight chapters unavailable to those who for whatever reason decline to purchase the EE (again, optimistically assuming Swordflight actually does work on the EE).

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Well the main campaign is awful stats like a fetch quest to find a cure of a disease that is bringing death on neverwinter... But honestly since there are people that did amazing story modules if you don't own the game you are missing so much... Some modules are nice rpg's on their own..... And the commmunity that play even on rp servers is still today active...

Worth to buy? yes...

Worth to buy the remaster?
Heck not... is a cash grab and don't offer actually nothing worth of interest for now.

d1nolore

Savant
There is huge potential for a NWN:EE based alone on it having a decently size playerbase still despite the huge set backs(the multiplayer game listings/GameSpy being discontinued probably being the biggest, followed by the NWNvault being taken down.). But somehow Im quite pessimistic based on them being in beta??(If I read that correctly) already with seemingly very limited "enhancing" so far.

You can see here the current player numbers online for NWN & NWN2.

http://www.nwnlist.com/#

NWN consistently has higher numbers than NWN2 as per that list. That is also just a snapshot of potential players seeing as how far gone NWN is (15 years old??) And is just one facet of the remaining playerbase(persistent servers). plenty of hardcore fans have dropped off seeing how old the game is and the dwindling player numbers, these people are an easy sell for the game.

I can see them not wanting to bother with the OC since people generally don't care for it plus the core fans would rather have time spent on more important things for modding/online play. But an alternative view is that the OC is very easy to enhance considering its limitations just by simply using the features of the expansion and you could argue that without fixing the OC or heavily marketing the EE towards the idea of multiplayer or alternative mods then you might just have the same reaction from new players and old players who decide the give the EE a shot. Which is that the game is subpar because the OC is subpar. However if the OC is much better perhaps you would be more likely to have people try the premium mods plus explore more player made content of the game.

Just a thought, maybe a terrible idea. I've resisted buying a Beamdog game so far so I'm unfamiliar with their ability to pull this off.

btbgfel

Scholar
From FAQ:
Will mods for Neverwinter Nights work on Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition?

Some mods will require updating before they are compatible with Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition.

So no, many mods will not be compatible.

Last edited:

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

From FAQ:

Some mods will require updating before they are compatible with Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition.

i sense another skyrim special edition problem here....

Bethesda: hey we updated the system for large address aware and optimized the engine this will allow you to create even more complex mod... but skse will not work anymore and you will have all that modding potential just on paper because skse will need to be rewritten from scratch but hey why you don't download payd content from our creation club?

roll-a-die

Magister
From FAQ:

Generally from the things I've seen, this refers too NWNX and some very few other things, that mostly try to get around NWN's limitations through "clever tricks," apparently about 99% of custom content is working(I can't check this myself, because I am broke this month and didn't get headstart).

It may also be referring to things the UI mods that are currently present, needing to be updated for the new UI.

It is definitely not referring too an SkyrimSE style situation. Where every mod basically had to be recompiled from scratch.

Cael

Arcane
But are the Neverwinter nights series any good? Or are just a base of Mask of the betrayer?
Neverwinter Nights 1 has good expansion packs.
The original campaign is crap in that it is long and boring and repetitive. You basically start out in a hub and go on a quest to find 3 or 4 items in 3 or 4 different directions. Repeat 3 times. Not much to it.
Shadows of Undrentide, the first expansion, has a much more varied structure. You go find stuff, play one enemy off the other and then betray them both, rescue a prisoner, end a curse, solve puzzles, and the last boss is a gimmick/puzzle boss.
Hordes of the Underdark, the second expansion, is where NWN1 takes off. It is epic, your choices has consequences, you can fail your missions, and the storyline is convoluted and the backstory has many different storytellers.

Neverwinter Nights 2 has a pretty OK original campaign. It is marred by an overly long first chapter (should have really split it in two) and a very, VERY rushed last chapter due to corporate meddling. The ending has many fans up in arms because it was just lazy, although most of that was attributed to said corporate meddling. It does have quite a bit of plot holes in it, particularly if you play Evil, and it railroads in a way that enrages RPG fans to the core, hence the hate for it.
The first expansion, Mask of the Betrayer, is widely acclaimed to be the best RPG of the lot, and is right up there in the Top 10 or 20, depending on who you talk to. It asks philosophical questions and explores relationships and other pathos. There is a variety of things to do and therefore doesn't seem repetitive or overly long. The characters are, on the whole, fairly well done, although we have the obligatory idiot SJW who never gets a clue no matter how hard even the gods themselves try to pound it into her thick skull. Oh, and she's the ultra high-Wisdom "Cleric". In other words, she is the author self-insert Mary Sue of the game preaching the "though provoking questions", and is the biggest black mark against the expansion.
The second expansion "Storm Over Zehir" is more or less back to Gold Box style of game play: You create a party of 6 or create some and hire the rest from several groups of hirelings (which are mainly crap and don't have banter, so you might as well make all 6 yourself). There is an overland map, random encounters, main quests, side quests, missions, an overarching storyline, and the like. There are some flaws in it, especially with the random encounter rate, which was set far too high, but it is good old fashioned entertainment.

Hope this helps.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
The second expansion "Storm Over Zehir" is more or less back to Gold Box style of game play: You create a party of 6 or create some and hire the rest from several groups of hirelings (which are mainly crap and don't have banter, so you might as well make all 6 yourself).
just to be clear: you can create up to 4 party members from scratch and hire one additional cohort. taking the leadership feat enables space for another cohort, upping your party to a maximum of 6 slots. there's also banter, but it's hardly more than a single sentence at a few places.

Cael

Arcane
The second expansion "Storm Over Zehir" is more or less back to Gold Box style of game play: You create a party of 6 or create some and hire the rest from several groups of hirelings (which are mainly crap and don't have banter, so you might as well make all 6 yourself).
just to be clear: you can create up to 4 party members from scratch and hire one additional cohort. taking the leadership feat enables space for another cohort, upping your party to a maximum of 6 slots. there's also banter, but it's hardly more than a single sentence at a few places.
Oh. That's right. I forgot I... modified... certain things (*cough*party*cough*limit*cough*) in NWN2...

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
*A petty tirade missing the point*

Kaelyn is not an "SJW" who is an "author self-insert", she repeatedly fails at battling against fate and the ordering of the cosmos, being unable to ever find a solution and falling from grace at the end. She is also right in her assessment that the Wall is fundamentally unjust because it dispenses never-ending punishment for finite "crimes" that can also be committed out of ignorance or even impossibility (in the case of babies or retarded people). Is the rebellion the smart or wise decision? That's not the point, the point is that her (and Akachi's) rebellion reveal an underlying flaw in the status quo that must be addressed. Calling her an "SJW" is not only wrong, but an anachronism and reductionist.

Cael

Arcane
Kaelyn is not an "SJW" who is an "author self-insert", she repeatedly fails at battling against fate and the ordering of the cosmos, being unable to ever find a solution and falling from grace at the end. She is also right in her assessment that the Wall is fundamentally unjust because it dispenses never-ending punishment for finite "crimes" that can also be committed out of ignorance or even impossibility (in the case of babies or retarded people). Is the rebellion the smart or wise decision? That's not the point, the point is that her (and Akachi's) rebellion reveal an underlying flaw in the status quo that must be addressed. Calling her an "SJW" is not only wrong, but an anachronism and reductionist.
I have posted in another thread why that is fundamentally a stupid stance to make in the Forgotten Realms. I won't rehash it here. Suffice to say that Kaelyn was wrong in so many ways and should have known better because of her background and her CLASS. That she did and said what she did in spite of those makes her nothing but a naytheist's wet dream and a SJW self-insert.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have? http://blog.beamdog.com/2017/11/getting-your-neverwinter-nights.html

Getting Your Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition Head Start

You’ve pre-ordered Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition on Beamdog! Now it’s time to get a Head Start!

First download the Head Start package here: https://www.beamdog.com/products/neverwinter-nights-head-start-english …\

Or if you’ve pre-ordered the Digital Deluxe version get this one:https://www.beamdog.com/products/neverwinter-nights-head-start-digital-deluxe …

Next, get the Beamdog Client. You'll need this to access Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition.

Now, you should have a Head Start option available in this drop down menu. Select it and a short download may occur if you haven’t already installed the latest version of Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition.

If you don’t see a Head Start option in the Beamdog Client, you may need to restart the client.

You should now be able to play Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition! Have fun and don’t forget to leave your feedback in the Beamdog forums! Please let us know if you find any issues in this thread.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
There's some Jedi mind tricks going on here. You will pre-order NWN:EE. You have pre-ordered NWN:EE. Click here to download the Beamdog client and NWN:EE. You are thankful for this head start in NWN:EE.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Meh. Gimme NWN with Dragon Age's engine and a party and I'll pay.
Talk about, getting the worst of both worlds -- a shit campaign, mixed with an engine that won't run old NWN mods or let you do multi-player.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://blog.beamdog.com/2017/11/one-livestream-wasnt-enough-so-get.html

Beamdog on Twitch - Friday Nov 23

One livestream wasn’t enough, so get ready for another! Want to know more about what's coming for Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition? Tune in on Beamdog's Twitch channel Friday @ 11:30am PST to find out! Join Beamdog Studio CEO Trent Oster, Director Phil Daigle, and Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition Project Director Jonathan Hill in the first of a series of weekly livestreams. Come for NWN:EE news, stay for prize giveaways! Not a Neverwinter Nights fan? Tune in anyway! We’ll be sharing more about what’s coming down the line for our Infinity Engine Enhanced Editions!

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Maybe they realized they were offering only the same things and that remaster offered basically nothing so they had to do another stream to gather followers?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom