Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord

Gregz

Arcane
Wow, that's...pretty fucking amazing actually.

I'm glad they're taking this seriously, a next-gen M&B:W is very high on my list of dream games.

I haven't upgraded my rig in 4? years, but I would build a new system for a game like this.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Did they motion capture 50 guys on a single ladder to see what that should look like?

RmO58FV.gif

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Way too much effort going into the tech on this game. Have a bad feeling it'll be as shallow as the first.

Gregz

Arcane
They are running a survey
http://t.co/QqQaPDFp77

Everyone should take this, hopefully they will use this information to tailor the game around their fan base.

I left this in the comments section at the end of the survey:

M&B:WB has succeeded for 4 reasons:

1) Very mod friendly
2) Excellent game engine (a lot of good graphics and physics on screen with good fps)
3) Excellent blend of the best aspects of FPS, TBS, and RPG games.
4) Both Siege and Battlefield combat feel incredibly real and immersive, more so than many other games. Excellent use of battle sounds to immerse the player.

The most fun I've ever had with your product has been:

M&B:WB + PoP + Diplomacy + Companions

I usually play one long campaign (2+ weeks) to completion twice a year.

Lastly, please don't fix what isn't broken. Respect the so many wonderful things you already have in M&B:WB, make certain not to change the gameplay elements that are at the core of its success.

Last edited:

Xeon

Augur
Wouldn't be better to decrease the chances of escape instead of removing it entirely?

I don't understand the need for the personal information so I left it blank.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Wouldn't be better to decrease the chances of escape instead of removing it entirely?

I don't understand the need for the personal information so I left it blank.
It can help the devs identify their core audience. For example, if they know that a significant percentage of the players are older gamers, they can predict that they don't need an awesome button or nonstop action to keep them interested.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Did the survey but some of the questions make me cringe (stuff about character appearance and E-Larping). I really really hope they address the abysmal town/castle/empire management side of the game. Warband was a good game but they could make this great bordering on Amazing if they put more effort into that facet rather than dick around with motion capture.

deuxhero

Arcane

Nah. Only reason it happens between NPCs in the first place is because the map would get very empty very quick otherwise. It's pointless because the PC rarely fights enemy lords (compared to how often NPCs fight eachother anyways) and if the player is trying to capture enemy lords, let him, because the overland system is fucked up enough as is without lords constantly respawning. Plus it feels... wrong to look at a guy while a battle ends and have him "escape" in dialog.

If it IS kept, it should be handled like routed enemies: they don't just disappear from the map and reappear home in a few days, they become a single unit group that has to run away to a friendly property manually.

And speaking of groups that are small so they move fast: The game needs the ability to split the party temporarily to catch these guys.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yeah, actually it is. I don't play RPGs to fucking E-LARP. I play them because I enjoy building a character, progressing it, making choices, managing resources, etc.

Perkel

Arcane
Team there should play constantly Prophecy of Pendor until they get addicted like i and want to improve things which made Pendor awesome not M&B or Warband.

I mean becoming noble from thief, creating your own knighthood recruiting NPCs for that knighood and in later game creating new nation is just plain amazing. Also equipment which had your nobility markings is crazy good idea and realistic. Formations and what is more important bigger places to fight battles.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I wrote a comment about the survey being very... vague with what its asking.
There are problems within some of the questions they asked. Like... What you like with the game and so on.

But anyway i cant wait to play it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Team there should play constantly Prophecy of Pendor until they get addicted like i and want to improve things which made Pendor awesome not M&B or Warband.

I mean becoming noble from thief, creating your own knighthood recruiting NPCs for that knighood and in later game creating new nation is just plain amazing. Also equipment which had your nobility markings is crazy good idea and realistic. Formations and what is more important bigger places to fight battles.

Pendor is fine but in no way should it be used to inspire design for base/vanilla Bannerlord.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Bannerlord had better allow the player to carry around a banner in battle, Joan of Arc-style, or I will be disappointed.

JoanBanner_zps966a686c.png

joanstilkebattle.jpg

Image53.jpg

joanbattlecraig.jpg

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Banner bearers used it as a polearm but mostly they sit through the battle on their asses. 90% if not more play M&B as a various cavalry types. Be it lance, horse archers or other weapon most play as a rider. Infantry gameplay is was too slow and tend to become tedious.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Nevermind how much easier it is to survive on a horse since there isn't any stamina mechanic. The only limit is how tedious you allow the game to become.

Perkel

Arcane
huh soldier holding banner was most of the time in center of formation to show commander if unit is in control. If banner fell for a longer time it showed that unit has problems or enemy is winning that fight.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
It's pretty clear that the games are intended to be played as a rider, since Mount precedes the word Blade in the title and all the nobles fight on horseback.

I was kidding about the banner, but it would be interesting if it was included and it affected the troop morale. I guess the banner could be placed on a polearm or allow the bearer to use a one-handed weapon in the other hand.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Casual shit won't tolerate the possability of being shot dead during battle by random arrow while wearing most expensive armor or being cut by a mob of peasant rabble along with your super-expensive horse.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 6 - Astounding Squirms
Players of Mount&Blade, idle passers and intrigued discoverers, Happy Friday to all. This little blog is about our progress making the game Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord. It doesn't cover everything we do but it tells you a little bit here and there which some may find of interest. “Never make a 6th album”, say the cynics. “Stop after the successful 5th!” - hogwash, we'll continue this blog until the sun rises in the west and sets in the east... or maybe just while we're working on Bannerlord.

We get messages from a lot of players saying they want to see more immersion and believability in the game. One feature we have planned for Bannerlord is facial animations. For a very long time, faces in games were pretty much completely motionless. There are various studies about the importance of non-verbal communication (facial expressions, body language etc.) in communication as a whole, including the much debated and often quoted “7%, 38%, 55%” figure for words spoken, tone of voice and physical behaviour respectively. We aren't psychologists though and that isn't a debate we need to enter into. The general consensus is that they are pretty important.

blog6express5.jpg

The results in game are already fairly astounding, bringing characters to life as they squirm and grin accordingly during conversations. They won't just be visible in conversations either; battles, town scenes, feasts, prisons and everywhere will all feature animated faces. The battles are an area of the game where we think the animations are going add a lot of fun and engross the player in the action. Not only hearing but seeing soldiers cry out in fury or pain, as the chaos of the fight ensues, contributes to an altogether more engaging and thrilling experience. This is a serious step forward from previous games in the Mount&Blade series which featured completely expressionless faces. It isn't the end of the world and it may matter to some players more than others but in a game where you have marriage, it's nice to see some emotion on the face of your betrothed, rather than that same dull-eyed look she's been giving you for the last 3 poems you read to her.

tw_dd_6_facecrafting2.jpg

On the technical side of things, all of the facial animations are made by hand. The face is bound to a skeleton (similar to the one used for the full body, as described in the previous blog) that allows different parts of the face to be stretched and squashed naturally into different forms. For each fixed form of the face we use blendshapes or morph targets to control the movements which are compatible with whatever kind of face you make. When it all comes together and a character has a believable, interesting reaction during a conversation it really creates some special moments that we think players are going to respond positively to and enjoy.

blog6express6.jpg

Although this is something we have been asked about specifically, we know there are a lot of messages asking about gameplay mechanics and combat as well. We will proceed with talking about everything in the game in time and not mentioning them shouldn't be taken to mean that we don't care about them or aren't working on them! In fact quite the opposite. It's because they are receiving so much attention and are liable to change based on design decisions, through testing and iteration, that we are cautious of talking about something that ends up changing by the time our game is available to play.

deuxhero

Arcane
I'm going to assume "disable dynamic facial expressions during battle" will be a graphics option. Seems like it would be too big a perfromance hit for too little gain (most higher level troops don't have visible faces).

Would be nice to know when an enemy is routing and when they are just going to the back of their unit for some reason though I guess.

As for seiges, I really felt the "gauntlet" sieges in some mods (1257 and Gekokujo use them) worked way better than anything based on the native system could ever be (though suffered from AI limitations). Either go full dynamic wall smashing, or use that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom