Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Kipeci

Arcane
B1/C1 (the former being my preferred option, the latter being my flop to avoid some sort of A awfulness.)

We must go with maximum choices for all the consequences!

Kipeci

Arcane
If you want to talk with him, you have to pick B or C. If you pick A, you'll be too busy investigating to go after him.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I suppose I should clarify that going after Relius merely involves sneaking into his hotel room while he's not in. Since the rest of his itinerary involves a couple of public meetings with respected businessmen on legitimate matters, trailing him would likely be a waste of time.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A - 5
B1 - 2
C1 - 7

The Grand Olympus Hotel

Track 2

“The Grand Olympus Hotel stands out in the academic town of Olympia thanks to its architecture that draws inspiration from the ancient Greeks yet does not neglect the comforts of modern engineering. The ten-storey building is located in the heart of the bustling commercial area and is recognized all over the world for its splendor and hospitality. Each of the three hundred suites in the hotel is equipped with the latest amenities, allowing guests can enjoy luxuries that even the gods and goddesses of Olympus would envy.”

The video goes on to talk about the unprecedented bathtubs lovingly designed by a world-class artist, telling whoever would care about the molding gel system each bathtub uses to ensure it is sculpted to a guest’s satisfaction. Nobody in the lobby cares; I must be the only one paying even a bit of attention to the video. Architecture and design is not a strong suit of mine but even I can tell that there was no expense spared in the construction of this hotel. The smooth white marble floor is polished to just the extent that you can vaguely see your own reflection, but not so much that it is distracting. Grecian pillars surround a sparkling fountain that is the centerpiece of the lobby. Around it, statues of the Greek gods and goddesses stand, smiling down upon the passing guests as if welcoming them to their divine domain. Zeus, Hera, Athena, Artemis… each member of the pantheon is represented, chiseled in semi-authentic fashion after the art of the Greeks - the ones who actually worshipped them didn't seem to portray the gods as smiling much.

It is probably somewhat fortunate that the hotel does not pay the same attention to its security as it has to its décor. I know that the Grand Olympus Hotel employs the same security system used by most hotels and resorts worldwide. Biometric authentication is standard fare; the lock to the suite will usually be updated with the guest’s thumbprint upon his check-in at the reception counter. Entry to the suites is monitored – it is possible for the hotel to find out who has entered a room and at what time via a combination of security footage and access logs. Of course, the hotel only checks the records if there is a request from a guest or the authorities. The security acts more as deterrence than prevention, and as long as the guest himself is unaware that his room was compromised, the illegal entry will likely remain unnoticed. Chances of discovery fall even lower when the objective of the entry has nothing to do with removing physical objects.

It’s not the first time I have attempted to gain unlawful entry to a hotel room, and if we were not pressed for time I might be able to manage it on my own. Still, since he was leaving in the morning, I needed backup to succeed…

“Hey, have you been waiting long?”

I look up. Kyrie is standing there, dressed in casual clothes. It’s the first time I’ve seen her out of uniform. She’s wearing a white, sleeveless dress and boots, with a floppy hat over her blonde hair. A small black bag is slung over her pale shoulder. What was it that guys were supposed to say at a time like this? Ah, right.

“You look good in those clothes.”

“Hm. So a piece of shit like you recognizes beauty when you see it. I am pleased. Maybe I shall promote you.” She seems pleased, and twirls a strand of hair around her finger.

“I don’t think you should be talking like that outside of the school.” I laugh.

“I’ll do as I wish. Anyway, I managed to convince Anna to help us.”

“I hope you didn’t force her to do it. She could be reprimanded if she gets caught.”

“She’s not going to get caught, and when I told her the reward she was practically begging to join in anyway.”

“…reward?” I have a bad feeling about this.

“Yeah, I promised that I’d let her do whatever she wants to you for three hours. You should’ve seen her face, she was practically drooling at the thought of it.”

That was... bad news. If I remember correctly, Anna is supposed to make a scheduled visit in another week's time as part of her supervisor duties...

“Don’t I get a say in this?”

“No. I own you, and your filthy rotten body is mine to do as I see fit.”

“I might want to look at the terms of that contract again…”

“The contract? That means nothing to me. I can render it null and void with just a phone call to my father.”

“That makes me sound quite unimportant to the corporation, if you can write off my contract just like that." I’m not sure whether she’s bragging, but given what I know of her influence, she shouldn’t be able to interfere with an official contract like this unless she calls in a favour… or if the Emperor-President is agreeable to the outcome.

“Hm. Well, it’s not like you’re unimportant…” She looks away, as if trying to find something in the lobby, and then rummages in her bag for a while before producing a card. “There we go.”

“That’s the replica keycard for Relius’s room?” The biometric authentication could also be unlocked with a keycard issued to the guests. Each keycard bore the guest’s electronic thumbprint. This was so that the guests would be able to invite people up to their room without needing to show them in. It is a necessary tool for certain types of people with certain things in mind, and amongst the rich there are many of these.

“Relius would probably give me his card if I asked for it. Why do you need a replica?” asked Kyrie.

“It’s just a secondary safety measure that puts another wall between us and him. If we used his own card to access the room, he’d have known of your involvement the moment he suspects something is wrong. At least this way he’ll have to investigate the creation of the replica, and if Anna does her job, that’ll be a dead end for him. In the best case scenario he will only have suspicions about you, but not outright proof.”

“Hm. I see, I see.”

“Besides,” I add, “It wouldn’t be right for the Princess of the Shinar to ask for the card to another man’s room. That would be sending all the wrong messages.”

“Oh? What's that? Are you concerned for me?”

I see that evil glint in her eyes again.

“Of course not.” I pluck the card out of her hands before she has a chance to follow up on what she has to say.

“Hm. What are you doing?”

“I’m going into his room, of course. I need someone to keep a lookout at the lobby. If he returns early he will definitely pass by here. Just stay inconspicuous with your head down and he shouldn’t notice you.”

“Are you an idiot?”

“What?”

“Your body isn’t very strong. If you get caught up there you’ll be in trouble, and you can’t exactly run very fast now, can you? If I’m up there at least I can talk my way out of it. I’m the princess after all.”

“But-“

“No buts. I’ll be doing the search myself. You can be the lookout. We’ll be in contact so you can always tell me what to look for.”

A. I give in and let the princess do the search. Her reasoning is sound, and if the worst case scenario happens and Relius finds her, he’ll be less likely to do harm to her than he is to me. I’ll just have to do my best as a lookout to ensure she can escape safely.

B. I insist on doing the search myself and persuade her to leave it to me. I should be able to find what we want faster, and on the off chance I do get caught, I have my powers to fall back on. As a lookout, Kyrie would also be able to intercept and distract him for a longer period of time should the need arise.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
B for now. I'm not sure whether she'd like us taking charge or not... Eh. Guide me weeaboos, which choice will tsundere appreciate the most?

Regardless of anime relationship management! B is the optimal decision for acquiring the most information.

Zwist

Learned
B, for now.

There are several aspects in this choice.
First: If the person waiting outside is caught, who would be in a worse situation?
If Kyrie is caught... Well, she is waiting in front of his room, might be seen as an invitation?
We on the other hand... Bluffing our way out off it might work. But then our involvement would be known.

Now being caught inside...
We would be fucked. Even if we use our powers. They won't exactly be secret after that.
Kyrie beeing caught.. Same as if she is waiting outside.

And who would be better at finding stuff?
Kyrie probably knows more about the person. We are better at finding important things.
Also if we search *we* might hide some things. What if we find something we don't want to share?

Most important however:
Lets ascertain our manliness, it is us who is wearing the pants. We can not let the girl do the dangerous stuff without losing face.
We are after all leader of a soon to be prestigious and manly warrior club.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

B - We are better at finding things anyway.

Kyrie would, at best, loose face and, at worst, get forced into things, should she be caught. If she waits outside, there's no direct proof of her involvement and she could bail us out. If she goes in, the only one who can get her out is her, as she'd probably not be willing to explain to her father that she broke into a man's room. Plus, as a lookout, she could distract by pretending to want to speak with him. We can't. He'd just blow right past us like he tried to do the first time we met him. Therefor, we are only really useful as the one breaking in.

edit:
B for now. I'm not sure whether she'd like us taking charge or not... Eh. Guide me weeaboos, which choice will tsundere appreciate the most?
From the anime I've seen/read, I'd say the sudden show of manliness would surprise/excite her. For the girl who squashes everyone into obedience, the guy who says and does want he feels best anyway is the only one who stands out. Eg, standing up to her earlier when we picked the club would have netted us +2 attraction points according to treave.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, if he returns early I was always planning to give you guys the option to punch him in the face to get his attention (though it's still going to be a weak-ass punch). :lol:

Which would get us in trouble anyway, thus defeating the purpose of staying outside...

(*sigh* Knocking him across the room with super strength - had we picked that - would have been so satisfying.)

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yeah, pretty much. If things go wrong and it comes down to a hard choice , the lookout must be willing to attract a lot of attention to him or herself to allow the accomplice to get away safely. It's probably more important that whoever's up there makes it out with the info they're here for, preferably without getting noticed.

Kipeci

Arcane
Does B entail explaining our powers to her with a summary description, or is it closer to us demanding to take that role while explaining nothing?

Baltika9

Arcane
B, for reasons stated already. I am, however, willing to bet Relius isn't exactly ordinary himself. Still, if he meets Kyrie outside the door it will automatically mean a conversation, which will buy us some time to hide/jump out the window/dow whatever is necessary. If he meets Senya, on the other hand, that just makes a bad situation worse.
(*sigh* Knocking him across the room with super strength - had we picked that - would have been so satisfying.)
:smug:That makes two.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Does B entail explaining our powers to her with a summary description, or is it closer to us demanding to take that role while explaining nothing?

No explanation involved, but there's other reasons for us to be the one to go, as already pointed out here, so those will be used.

We totally need to tell her about our powers later for her tentacle curiosity scene though.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Relius's Room

Track 6

"No, that won't do. That won't do at all." I shake my head and sigh. "Sending you up would be one of the most foolish mistakes I've ever made."

"Oh? Explain yourself, dreck."

"Dreck? That's a new one." It looks like the Princess's vocabulary of insults has expanded yet again. "Well, what I mean is that... you're inexperienced."

"What makes you so qualified, then? Come and enlighten me, you sack of feckless meat."

I just grin, reminding her to keep her voice low. "You've read my file, haven't you?"

"Hm. What of it?"

"Did you really think I could've gotten away with all of that without having to lift a muscle? Running away - well, crawling - from the cops is not something that's new to me. Trust me, when the time comes, you don't want to hesitate." Those are big words, coming from me - I've lost count of the number of times I hesitated in the thick of things, but one thing I can objectively say is that I hesitated far less by the end than when I first started. "If you falter and panic it's all over, and when that happens, think of the damage that will be done. What would your father say? Now me... I'm expendable. I'm not a princess. It'd also be easier for you to help me out of trouble than it is for me to help you. I'm afraid that the only way this plan makes sense is for me to go up."

That seems to seal the deal. I stretch back and slide the card up the sleeve of my jacket with a practiced motion that has helped me any number of times in middle school card games. I may be physically weak, but there is nothing wrong with my fine motor control. Of course, said games usually lead to my physical weakness being exploited ruthlessly by stomping my face into the ground when the tricks were discovered. My early adolescent years are really not a source of pride for me in any way.

Kyrie looks at me and groans. "I still think you shouldn't go up."

"If I couldn't do at least this, I wouldn't have been picked up by the ISC." Well, evidently I wasn't good enough to avoid being captured, but I wasn't about to admit that right now.

"Fine. Just be careful. You've got the phone with you?"

"Yeah." Kyrie had arranged for a new phone to be sent from the ISC - this one had her number in it, and was less bugged in comparison to my previous one. It also packed enough power for me to do some niftier tricks with it. "I'll be in touch. Just let me know if Relius walks through the main door."

She pulls her hat over her head and nods.

Track 16

The elevator, a garishly decorated affair filled with columns and statues - clearly those were the only things the designers could think of when it came to Greek architecture - comes to a gentle stop on the tenth floor, having taken exactly six seconds to make the journey. Up here the marble floors are smothered in lush carpets. As I walked down the corridor I began to feel the familiar tinge of excitement, adding a spring to my steps as I pull on my gloves. I begin to hum softly. The tune is that of a nameless song I had never been able to identify.

"It's that song again, Master. I haven't heard you hum it in some time."

Yua's voice appears in my head.

"Yeah. It's been a while since I last remembered it. By the way, you've been pretty quiet. What's the matter?"

"I didn't want to interrupt your precious time with Ms. Kyrie." Was that resentment I heard there? "Anyway, don't worry about it, Master."

"If you say so... but if you're feeling off, let me know immediately."

I turn a corner and reach my destination. The grand doors of the Zeus Suite face an open balcony overlooking the bustling streets below. According to the security feeds, no one had entered or left the room since Relius went out early this morning. Nevertheless, better safe than sorry. I pause and listen at the door for any noise. There's nothing. Slipping the card from my sleeve, I press it to the biometric scanner. With a cheerful double-beep, the light on the lock turns from red to green. I push the door open and enter the suite. The lights do not turn on automatically as I had expected. Relius must have turned the switch off manually when he left. I blindly grope around for the switch on the wall. It doesn't take my fingers long to find and press it. The surroundings gradually brighten as the lights power on.

"Wow." Even Yua was stunned. The suite was undeniably palatial. The decor here was more understated than the rest of the hotel; it didn't try to grab me by the throat and scream about how ancient Greek it was. There were less columns and less statues. That did not mean it had less marble, though - the floor and walls appear to be hewn from large slabs of the material. The ceiling was a large dome adorned with an ornate fresco depicting the mythical Aegean War, when the gods of Greece and Babylon battled for supremacy. Zeus and Marduk glowered at each other from opposite sides of the dome, flanked by their attendant gods and lesser divine beings. In between them stood the First Emperor of the Shinar.

"Are you there, Senya?" Kyrie is already on the line.

"I'm in, Kyrie. This place is... well, I have no other words other than 'expensive' to describe what I'm seeing."

"Hm. If that's all it takes to impress you then you should serve me better. Please me and I will arrange for you to stay in such a place."

"Verily, it shall be as you will, my princess. I exist only to please."

"S-stop the corny talk and get to work." I thought I could hear a hint of a stammer in her voice.

My attentions soon turn to the rest of the suite. The center of the room is dominated by a smaller reproduction of the fountain in the lobby, surrounded with couches and soft cushions. There is a patio door leading out to a balcony on the other end of the building. Another door had been left open; peeking from the living room, I could see that it leads to the bedroom.

It is 7.36 pm. According to Relius's itinerary I should have at least another half an hour before he returns here, maybe more depending on traffic conditions. "There's moderate traffic today, Master." proclaims Yua. If that is the case, today's traffic should be heavy enough to delay him for a total of 45 minutes. That should be more than enough time. I get to work, humming the tune again. His personal computer is found almost immediately, left carelessly on the desk besides the massive four-poster bed.

"Found his computer. Lord Engura, Lord Engura. You make it so easy for me."

"Don't get careless, Senya."

"Master wouldn't get careless, Ms. Kyrie. Please have more faith in him!" You're too nice, Yua. I don't say anything, instead moving to switch the computer on. I suppose it sounds a little arrogant, but I don't think Relius has any traps on his computer that I won't be able to bypass.

He is smart enough not to leave it running idly while connected to a network - if that was the case we'd just have gotten Anna to do everything, but clearly he is not in the habit of storing away the computer under lock and key whenever not in use. Judging from the wear and tear on the case and the recent make of the model, he must use it a lot. Well, people who are too confident in their power are usually careless with their personal effects. It is a strange thought where they believe that no one will dare to harm them. Just like how hotel security works, they believe that their power will act as enough of a deterrence that it auto-magically turns into prevention. There is a password on the screen, but it is a mere trifle. I have Yua break it and in seconds I have full access to Relius Engura's computer. It is as unprotected as I had expected.

I set to work dumping the entirety of its contents into a drive that I had brought along. Firstly, not knowing what exactly to look for, it would waste too much time to filter the information on-site. Secondly - and more importantly - a person as well connected as Relius Engura would have lots of unrelated information that could be useful to me. I'm no hero of justice; blackmail isn't exactly beneath me. That, and I just don't like Mr. Perfect. The progress bar appears... 20 minutes and counting. It is a bit lengthy, but I should have more than enough time to finish and search the rest of the room thoroughly while I'm at it.

I let the program run while I look around the suite. There is not much to find. Rows of expensively tailored, identical suits are lined up in the wardrobe, with matching shoes. He drinks coffee, not tea, judging from the used cups and bags. The bathroom on the outside is empty and dry, its molded gel bathtub invitingly empty. The bathroom attached to the bedroom is locked. The ashtray remains unused. All in all, it appears the personal computer is the only object of interest. The sole oddity is the set of girl's clothing folded neatly and set atop his bed.

"Do you know if he's a crossdresser?" I ask Kyrie.

"I would have no idea. Why would you ask me such a thing?"

"Never mind."

It could also belong to someone else. Oh, such lurid possibilities...

The search of the suite takes 15 minutes and 44 seconds. Returning to the computer, I browse through some of the files to while away the time.

Something catches my eye.

"Hiranyagarbha... Apostles of..."

"Master, Hiranyagarbha is Indus for the Golden Womb." Yua lets me know the translation as soon as I have muttered the words. It looks like his computer is full of books, tracts and pamphlets written by the Apostles.

"Yua, get me all the details you have on this group."

"Right away, Master."

I have a feeling that it is important somehow. I flick through the screens of his computer, looking for other interesting stuff. There is a large cache of pictures; I bring it up with a tap and browse through the thumbnails quickly. Most of the pictures are pretty but uninteresting landscapes taken with an expensive camera. Well, if that was the case... with a few keystrokes I bring up the hidden pictures. Any man would have those. Relius didn't disappoint - the screen fills up with thumbnails of girls; clothed girls, but girls nonetheless. I check the latest photo. It is a picture of a a school girl about my age wearing the same clothes I had seen folded on the bed. It seems that it is a uniform for one of the other less prestigious schools in town. The timestamp of the photo is dated yesterday night, around 11.30 pm, and the location appears to be at the commercial sector of Olympia.

"Even in a town like this..." Schoolgirl prostitution is not unknown in Higashi, but I didn't expect it to happen in Olympia. Still, I find it strange that she would leave her school uniform here. I haven't found his keycard in my search of the room, so either he had brought it with him, or he left it with the girl. I notice that a pair of bra and panties are lying by the uniform.

"Kyrie?"

"Yes? Have you found anything?"

"Do girls usually change their bra and panties every time they have a change of clothes?"

"..."

There is a cold silence from the other side of the phone. I guess no matter how much she tries to imitate Anna, she's still a maiden at heart. Anna would've given me a direct answer and then spent the next ten minutes teasing me. I quickly apologize and mute the line before she explodes in embarassment.

"Do you know, Yua?"

"Uh... Master..." She seems concerned. "Are you feeling okay?"

Ah, right, Yua doesn't actually wear real clothes. I look at the underwear again.

Track 17

Suddenly, I recall that Relius was the only one who had left the suite today. Had the girl changed her clothes and left last night? That would be odd behaviour, but perhaps Relius is the sort who likes to purchase used clothing. If that was not the case, however, then she must still be in the room. My eyes stray to the locked bathroom. Had she been in there all the while? Perhaps she had hidden herself inside when I entered the room... no, that is not possible. I had entered swiftly without knocking, anyone would've thought it was Relius himself returning. Her first reaction wouldn't be to hide, unless she was here without his permission, and if so, we would probably be able to come to a deal.

Well, only one way to find out.

I step towards the locked bathroom slowly. It is an old-fashioned door; I can see the keyhole set into the center of the door knob. I put my ear to the door...

Nothing.

Concentrating, I allow the tendrils to worm their way out of my index finger. I push it against the keyhole, allowing the slimy black things to flood the cavity. They slowly take on the matching shape of the key, and once I feel resistance I turn.

The door unlocks with a click, and shifts slightly ajar as it does so. I can smell a faint metallic scent.

...blood?

It is utterly dark inside the bathroom. If I remember it right, the one on the outside had its switch on the left side of the wall. I fumble my hand around, searching for the switch.

There it is.

I flip it.

Track 18

The bathroom light flickers on almost immediately. The cold white light illuminates the entirety bathroom, inscribing each and every detail into my eyes.

I take a step back involuntarily.

The girl is in there.

The molded gel bathtub conforms to her curves lovingly, holding her in place. The gel seems to have hardened into a deep gray substance.

Her pale right hand hangs limply on the lip of the bathtub, her fingers skimming the Grecian carvings decorating its surface.

Her legs are splayed apart, raised obscenely over the edges of the bathtub.

The breasts are missing, red ragged patches splashed with yellow all that remains of her chest.

Her left arm is raised from between her legs and embedded in the gel, the fingers twisted and broken into an unnatural gesture.

Her abdomen has been carved open from sternum to groin.

Unreadable scratches are inscribed all along her intestines.

The intestines are draped around her neck like a garland.

Her head is not on her neck.

It is nestled in her half-open uterus.

I take another step back. What was this? What was this senseless butchery? It looked like some sick, grotesque display of art, a contorted statue of flesh and blood. Could a human have been responsible for this? If someone had told me it was the work of a monster I would believe them without any hesitation. There is barely any stench besides that faint bloody scent permeating the bathroom, but bile rises in the back of my throat all the same. I fight to hold it down, blinking back tears in my eyes.

The girl's blank eyes stare accusingly at me, her lips perpetually parted in a last sigh.

Did Relius do this? What is going on here? The sheer absurdity of someone like him doing something like that in some place like this threatens to overwhelm me. I close my eyes and take a deep breath. The corpse is still there when I open them, but now I can at least pretend to be calm.

I consider calling the cops immediately, but decide against it. There would be too many questions asked of me right now. Besides, I don't think the body is going anywhere. My hands trembling just slightly, I raise my phone to snap pictures of the body.

“M-M-Master!” Yua protests as I do so.

“You should wipe this from your memory, Yua.” I mutter as she whimpers.

There is no room for squeamishness here. I finish taking the photos and switch off the lights. The door knob is in the style of a privacy knob. I click the lock shut before gently closing the door. There is nothing else in there for me to see.

“Senya, how's everything going?”

“I found a dead body in his room – don't scream.”

My warning comes in time just for her to choke back a yell of disbelief.

“If we call the police, there will be uncomfortable questions. Let's wait until after I leave with the data... also, it'll be up to you whether you want to report it,” I say as I confirm that the backup of his computer is safely on my drive. I unplug it and restore the condition of the computer to how it was twenty minutes ago.

“What do you mean, it's up to me? Are you sure it's a real dead body?”

It would have been the most realistic doll I've ever seen, but I don't think I can mistake that stench and pallor of the flesh for anything else but the real thing. I shiver as I recall the state of the corpse. It isn't the first dead body I've seen, but...

“I'm positive. I don't think the police will act against Relius unless you use your name to do so, and that will definitely tip him off.”

“If we already have evidence then it shouldn't be a problem.”

“That's why it's up to you. If you'll be putting your own neck on the line, I'll let you decide just how much evidence you need before you act.”

“I see... fair enough, Senya. Are you okay? You sound... off.”

I give her a harsh laugh. “I just saw a corpse, princess. Anyone would be shaken.”

“Hm. I suppose so. Relius still hasn't come back. It looks like our estimates of his schedule are correct.”

“Perfect.” I run over the suite one last time, making sure everything is back in order, with Yua helping me match the current state of the rooms to when I first entered. There are still at least 15 minutes to spare, and I should be safely away from the building with Kyrie before Relius even steps into the lobby.

“I'll be heading down now.” I tell Kyrie that, eager to leave the room.

“Yeah, I'll be waiting. See you in a while.”

After that, it's just a matter of turning off the lights, stepping out the door, and allowing it to lock up automatically.

Mission complete...

Or so I thought.

Besides me stood a young man with silver hair. I curse my own hastiness in leaving the suite. The mutilated body had thrown me off much more than I thought – I should have waited and checked to see if there was anyone outside before I left. Where do I get off telling Kyrie she's inexperienced when I make such a fool move?

“What are you? I sensed your trail leading here.” His voice is sharp, like the sword he carries. With that hair, those blue eyes, and that sword, he must be a member of the Dunamis private security group. That is another folly of mine. Though I know Erika sniffed something different about me the first time we met, that fact had totally slipped my mind. I also knew that their rooms had been booked for longer than Relius's; it was no surprise that I would run into them here, or that I would attract their attention once they came across me. It looks like the axiom that whatever can go wrong, will go wrong, is true. Luck is fickle. Oh well, too late to regret my carelessness now. I just have to play it by ear, and my mind starts working. The first thing I need is, as usual, information...

The sword leaves its sheath, making a graceful arc before pointing at my neck.

“You're not human, are you?”

I smile back at him, causing his delicate features to furrow.

“I have no idea what you're talking about.”

“What are you doing coming out of Lord Engura's room?”

“I'm a friend of his.”

The sword shifts threateningly, and its point nicks my throat.

“Another lie and I will have your head before your tongue finishes it.”

“Very well. What do you think I am, if I am neither human nor a friend of Lord Engura?”

“A cultist of the accursed Apostles, here to do him harm. Non-human things like you can be no other. Do not taunt me with facts you know well, monster.”

I do like people who give away information freely. From the spectacle I just saw in his room I could half expect that Relius was a member of the Apostles. However, if the Dunamis group were against the Apostles...

“What will you do with me, if I were to surrender?”

The man laughs mockingly and perhaps a bit bitterly, but his sword doesn't sway from its position.

“I would rather kill you right here, but Lord Engura has asked that we capture any cultists we find alive and bring them to him. We are bound to him for now and we will obey the terms of our contract.”

A. I surrender to the man. It is an extremely risky gamble, but I highly suspect Relius is a member of the Apostles. If I can manage to reveal it to the Dunamis group, judging from their enmity towards that cult I could probably turn them on him quickly. I also have that body in the bathtub as proof that he is not what he seems to be. Furthermore, confronting Relius directly is the quickest way to verify his guilt and smash whatever he is plotting, and after having seen that corpse I have no doubt he is up to no good.

B. My mission here is to obtain evidence of Relius's misdeeds. Now that I've secured the information on his computer, my next step should be to leave the building safely. It is best that I retreat and analyze the data I've obtained - if I am captured, it is likely that I will not be able to hold on to my drive. Even if I've now been apprehended, I just need to escape the man. He is alone and I have my powers to fall back on. Furthermore, since he is sure I'm a cultist, the report he gives to Relius will be confusing enough to be a cover for me.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Tough choice. I don't know what decision is the right one to make here. I'll leave off from voting for now. By the sounds of it though, this guy won't believe anything we have to say, any proof we show as evidence of Relius' misdeeds could be claimed to be because of our actions.

Zwist

Learned
:love:

There is one big problem with running away. We didn't exactly disable the security measures but did count on no one looking to closely. They do have a reason now.
The problem with staying? If our capturer does not involve any of his superiors we are pretty much going to die. And do his superiors have enough reason to trust us? "Uncle" seems to know we are a different kind of beast than the ones they are fighting, and Erika seems to like our sandwiches, but is that enough?

On a completely different note: Remember how Erika could have wiped the floor with us? The only reason to believe we will be able to beat him is that in animes schoolgirls are 10 as kawai strong as anyone else.

In light of this A is the choice that fits our character-archetype better. If they choose to listen to us we do have a rather good position, especially if we can phone princess to validate parts of our story(hilarious scene inbound). Although she might not be thrilled about that "monster" thing.
It all comes down to what we are. If we had chosen rage we would have killed this guy in one hit, laughing manically while we stroll away. But as things are now... Better use that charming smile and razor wit.

I am however willing to change my vote, if convinced to.

Edit: Mixed up the choices.

Esquilax

Arcane
The question in my mind is whether we can escape to begin with. treave, B would involve running away, correct? We are no match for this guy physically, and based on what he's said, he's clearly accustomed to dealing with supernatural monsters already:

“What are you? I sensed your trail leading here.”
“You're not human, are you?”

The fact that he "sensed" us here implies some sort of telepathy, or at the very least he's somewhat like Erika. Which means we're dead meat in a confrontation and I don't know if we would be able to run away without him catching up to us. I doubt that we'll be able to do so.

So because I think that running away will backfire, I am voting A. I'm willing to flop though.

B

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom