Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Kipeci

Arcane
:bro:

I'm not sure about this one, if anyone has convincing arguments I'd be willing to go for them. I'm tentatively for A, but... that just seems dodgy about helping us, I don't know. The Prince is pretty bro and I hate being the scumbag who would shank him in the kidneys, but that's hardly a blip on our scale of evil, so...

EDIT: Still A, but if it's not getting any more votes than C consider this to be a flop to B.

Baltika9

Arcane
B for now.
This is all too suspicious because it is so smooth. I'm afraid that if we blindly kill him without knowing the circumstances, we may fuck this shit up bad.
Besides which, if we save him from the assassins, we'll be his best bud and will be able to get away with many things.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
God damn, seems like B2 would have been the best option. That or C. Oh well, at least it wasn't a complete botch.

I've no idea what to vote in this instance, A, B and C seem very interesting as options. I'm leaning towards B but I just don't know.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
B2... would've led to a Watcher not on your side visiting you pretending to be the masked man, and then attempting to stab you in the back immediately. It's not exactly the absolutely worst choice because you do have your own masked buddies watching your back, and you wouldn't have been under house arrest. Worst choice was probably A1, where your dagger would've been in Aodh when he fell and you wouldn't even be granted house arrest. Straight to prison. The absolute best choice was to not work for the Prince in the first place, in which case Aodh wouldn't have found you out by utter coincidence and figured out the plot of this particular faction of Watchers. At least they're not blaming you for fucking up and still calling you Master.

I mean, sooner or later a clash was still going to happen, but it happened way too early for Dio to gain any sort of foothold this time.

Baltika9

Arcane
God damn, seems like B2 would have been the best option.

You lower the dagger, watching the man intently. "What happened to the last man? Is he busy tonight?"

"Ah, that is why I have come. He was captured, and is presumably dead by now. I was going to inform you of that, and to tell you that you should no longer use the method he gave you previously to contact us. It has been compromised, and we will give you a new code.
No, B2 was the worst.

Kipeci

Arcane
Remember how they said that the Watcher had been compromised? That's why B2 would've been a bad move.
Edit: Alas, I've been emu'd.

Baltika9

Arcane
Hey, treave, how many Runikylos' have there been?
Is this Prince Runikylos the 47th? (RK-47)
Also, do the records have anything on the Second Emperor? AKA Ean Jr?
Edit:
edit2: If Dio doesn't win the battle for Ean's soul, I really hope the octopus fucker does. Then we can finally track Sek down and...well, you know...

You know what, guys? This is getting worse than even the most ridiculous levels of shipping Anthony with Erika. Could you please, for the sake of my sanity, quit doing it?
Sorry, no can do. We're going after that octopussy! :P
Inb4 Shulgi stole our girl and our throne.
Seriously, though. What happened to Lil' Ean?

Tigranes

Arcane
It's a decent outcome, all things concerned. I'm curious as to what C would have done, but we're still in this game.

Although I don't have the time to unravel it at the moment, their story really does seem fishy. B is tempting just for its coolness, but this one is an equally difficult choice...

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You'll find out sooner or later.

Later, given that you're playing the noble caught up in events far beyond his understanding. In terms of finding out about what happened, from most knowledgeable to least knowledgeable:

1) Madman (through a Malkavian-ish filter of madness)
2) Watcher
3) Noble
4) Soldier (who won't even have Watchers visiting him due to his unimportance at the beginning, and as such forges his own path just like the Madman)

Baltika9

Arcane
By the way, really regretting not taking the lightning power-up back at Tjaru right now.
In other words:
217202_f260.jpg

Baltika9

Arcane
Oh-ho, you smart bastards.
Perhaps these rogue Watchers want Dio on the throne because his rotten character and misdeeds will make him an easily manipulable puppet?
Think about it, they know all of Dio's misdeeds. Threatening to reveal them to the public would be be a very strong set of strings.

And perhaps Dio is not a reincarnation, but implanted with a fraction of Ean?
Edit: Why? Power. For them or their...Masters.

Esquilax

Arcane
treave, would C involve waiting for a trial?

This could be one of Aodh's Watchers. The information that he's giving us is stuff that Aodh's Watchers would have known anyways, so this guy could be luring us into an assassination attempt so that we can finally get caught in the act.

You did not act fully within their expectations either, and they will have a hard time attempting to prove it was indeed you that killed the man, particularly since they cannot show the body in public, for the simple reason that there is no body to show. That does not mean time is on your side, Master Ean, as eventually they will be able to either track down evidence or fabricate it. By restricting your activities, they are on the verge of victory. But all is not lost. As I have said, we are finally ready to act."

This could just be an attempt to spur us into making a foolish decision. But it's also correct. So if this is one of Aodh's people, they're putting us in a Catch-22: we go along with the assassination and we're caught red-handed, but if we don't, they fabricate evidence against us regardless. However, the evidence itself is extremely thin considering how well we covered our tracks. Our next move would be a trial if we pick C:

The laws of the empire are upheld by courts that are presided over by justiciars - scholars that have specialized in the complicated, extensive, and ancient laws of the empire in their studies. Enforcement is carried out by prefect squads that operate under a justiciar's command. Each city in the Empire is assigned one court.

We have a few things working in our favour:
  1. There's no body to show from the "murder", since Aodh is still alive and kicking. They can't produce Aodh... well, unless he plays dead in the middle of the court.
  2. Thania killed herself. They'd probably bring her family to testify against us. Fortunately, we burned her letter and the Emperor feels guilty about this one.
  3. Velius' suicide. This one could be problematic. As Aodh said, the "medicine" we used was pretty damning of our intentions, so we'd need to find out how to counter this.
My suggestion is this, bros: pretend for a second that you're Dio's defense lawyer. What kind of arguments would you make against the charges laid against him, fabricated or otherwise? I'm serious, if you're voting C, plan a defense for Dio.

B could work, but it poses its own problems as well:

You will lead the two assassins to the Prince, then kill them in front of him and pretend they had forced you to do everything that he knows you have done - whatever it is that he knows. You really aren't that interested in being top dog, you just want to be second. Besides, you don't trust these people.

We don't really know what the prince knows. So assuming we double-cross the assassins successfully, we'd still have to correctly determine what the prince knows to get him to trust us again. Keeping our story straight is going to be kind of hard - if we fuck up one detail, he'll find out that we've been deceiving him the whole time. Worse yet, if these Watchers are actually our guys, they might turn against us for the betrayal. It could fuck us over much worse in the long run.

I'm tentatively voting for C, but I'm willing to flop to B. If one of you is able to clue in on the allegiance of this new masked man from the text, I'm all ears. The problem here is that we can't trust this source at all - for all we know, it could be one of Aodh's Watchers. However, if we keep affirming our innocence and we let this go to a trial, we can use our Watchers to counteract any fabrication of evidence that Aodh's people might come up with. It seems much wiser in the long-term.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A trial will be involved, yes, though you have to also consider that things may change between now and the trial date. If you do sit and wait, it will be called in a week's time. Obviously, by virtue of just sitting safely at home instead of going out and stabbing people, C is a viable option that poses the least immediate risk to your wellbeing. Whether it is the smartest in the long run, of course, is the crux of the matter, and depends on how you handle it.

Hm, I shouldn't be doing this, but you might want to turn the chessboard around and think about this from Aodh's point of view.

Assume his reason is to get rid of you, which I think is a reasonable assumption to make, as so far his actions has matched his stated reason. Now, you would suspect he can't kill you because of immortality shenanigans, but it should be possible to, say, drug you, kidnap you and sink you to the bottom of the sea, if he wanted to. After all, the Watchers are clearly excellent enough at stealth that they can ghost into your house undetected multiple times. Why has he not done so, and in the case he does want to, why can't he?

Sure, you won't be able to obtain a full answer because you don't have a clear picture of what is going on with the Watchers, but there might be enough info scattered around the thread, both in-update and meta, for you to piece together something to go on.

Baltika9

Arcane
Esquilax:note that C means we tell our Watchers "No,I'm not playing this game."Which could make them say "Okay,up yours",leaving us up shit creek with no paddle and in a kangaroo court against the Gestapo.
Or this could be Sek's "send Edem" plan again.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
These masked men have led us to this. They want this confrontation. If we keep playing their game Dio will keep being blindsided.

I'm for either B or C, haven't decided yet.

Baltika9

Arcane
treave, can Dio just say "Take me to your leader!"?
Or at least ask the question of who their leader is and what is his name?
And none of that "You are" crap, either.
Edit: is there a House Me'Kras in the Empire?

Esquilax

Arcane
:lol: Sorry, but that sounds retarded, bro. What do you expect them to say? Of course he's going to say "We are devoted to you, Master Ean!"

Assume his reason is to get rid of you, which I think is a reasonable assumption to make. Now, you would suspect he can't kill you because of immortality shenanigans, but it should be possible to, say, drug you, kidnap you and sink you to the bottom of the sea, if he wanted to. After all, the Watchers are clearly excellent enough at stealth that they can ghost into your house undetected multiple times. Why has he not done so, and in the case he does want to, why can't he?

Sure, you won't be able to obtain a full answer because you don't have a clear picture of what is going on with the Watchers, but there might be enough info scattered around the thread, both in-update and meta, for you to piece together something to go on.

Ah, I had already considered this. I believe that he hasn't taken more permanent measures against us because the Prince still believes that we're innocent. He can't just off us while the evidence is really shaky and we're under house arrest. It'll come off as an incredibly obvious plot to kill a loyal up-and-coming nobleman who was becoming very close to the prince. Once he does that, it'll cast suspicion on his entire Watcher network. So Aodh's move is to either bait us into committing a crime, or bide his time to fabricate evidence and get rid of us that way.

"Prince Runikylos, who even now does not believe that you are responsible for the murder of his trusted man, and has ordered his men to investigate this case personally. Of course, his men will never tell him of your innocence. Nonetheless, he remains an obstacle to your rule, Master Ean, and you too know he must go. If he ever finds out of your true nature, he would be a deadly enemy. Two of us will be accompanying you on that night to silence the good prince for good."

You gaze at the masked man quietly. There were some things in his tale that didn't seem to add up, but you were in a desperate position. If what he said was true, you had been caught up in events beyond your knowledge, and you could not scheme until you know more. Unfortunately, being under house arrest, your only source of knowledge would be these mysterious masked people, and that could be unreliable.

This is another reason why I don't think that this Watcher is our guy. Why would one of our guys be so gung-ho about assassinating the Prince when he (a) doesn't believe we're guilty and (b) we're fucking under arrest, which means we should lay low. You don't see guys awaiting trial calling up their pals to bring in half a ton of coke across the border. Lastly, the most damning thing is that we never brought up or mentioned the Prince in a single previous conversation with the masked man we met.

Based on this, the only two decent choices are B and C. Nevertheless, I still think that C is the better option because I think our chances are good during the trial.

Btw treave, I think you messed up a little on the dialogue. Once he got caught, Dio should have said "Once again, the First Emperor sees fit to ram cock in fucking ass!!!"

a cut of domestic sheep prime

B - the game is rigged, so stop playing the game.

This whole thing makes no sense. Why are the pieces of Ean at war with one another? It seems like they are being manipulated by the watchers.

Let me ask you this: would Ean - the real one - go along with any of this? Nope. He'd say, 'fuck you' and refuse to be manipulated - just like he did in the sphere. edit: Only unlike in the sphere, we need to be on the offensive about it. If we're going to win this, we have to become the real Ean and refuse to be manipulated by the watchers any more and fight back.

C
And back to...

B

Baltika9

Arcane
Esquilax: Chrissakes, that was a joke.
And while I'm not as gung-ho about it as Lambchop, the sentiment does make sense, in the context of Ean. He was never one for reason, but about cojones. Now, in the context of Dio, no.p
But since I want Ean back...

Tigranes

Arcane
D: I'm almost tempted to 'use the old method' that is apparently compromised and see what happens. Worst case: it was compromised indeed, and the bad watchers appear, but if they wanted to kill us with their ninja-fu they would have done it already, so what can they do? Best case: this guy is the liar and the 'compromised method' actually brings us the real watcher.

I was half-joking but I actually can't see the downside here, there clearly is something fishy going on so A is out, but B seems kind of drastic. What do you guys think?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom