Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's roam the Mean Streets ! - A Tex Murphy Cinematic Adventure

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
ms-logo.png

________________________________________________________________________________________________

CONTENTS :
________________________________________________________________________________________________

CHAPTER 1 : The Death Of A Professor.
CHAPTER 2 : No Time For Diplomacy.
CHAPTER 3 : The Maltese Fruitcake.
CHAPTER 4 : Two Faced Freaks.
CHAPTER 5 : We Are Watching You.
CHAPTER 6 : Brains Melting.
CHAPTER 7 : Law and Order Confidential.
CHAPTER 8 : All The Aces.
CHAPTER 9 : The Big Honcho.
CHAPTER 10 : Escape From Alcatraz.

Let's unravel an intricate web of lies in the seedy West Coast world of 2033.
Let's find out if our client is a grieving daughter or a greedy heiress.
Let's see if her father commited suicide or got murdered by a shadow conspiracy.
Let's shoot our way through crime-infested streets, beat information out of reluctant informers, bribe dirty law enforcers, lick broken pieces of glass, flirt with frisky ladies, steal valuable works of art and pawn them !

Let's play Mean Streets !

You mean the movie where De Niro had that Oasis haircut ?

MS01.jpg

MS02.jpg

In this Classic Role-Playing Adventure™ we play the role of Tex Murphy , private investigator, based in San Fancisco 2033. Tex is hired to investigate the suspicious suicide of a scientist who was working in a secret project.

The game combines various gameplay styles. Aside from the classic point and click segments where you investigate certain areas, you have a flight simulator part where you move aroud west coast with you hovercar and also some side-scrolling shooting sections. The biggest part of the gameplay though, involes finding suspects/informats, interrogating them and producing new leads. If they are reluctant to help, you can try threatening them or bribing them. You can earn money from bounty-hunting missions or by pawning stolen goods. That's right people, Tex will do whatever it takes to get the job done (and earn some cash on the side).

Mean_Streets_cover.jpg

Starring Val Kilmer :

50073.jpg

:neveraskedforthis:

The game was released in 1989 and it was one of the first games to feature 256 color VGA graphics. You wouldn't call the visuals stunning, but they are rather good for the time. Characters were based off real actors, something that would become a staple for the series. Tex is played by the game's main writer/developer, Chris Jones. Another innovation comes from the use of the realsound technology, a system that enabled 6-bit digitized PCM-audio playback on the PC speaker. This meant that the game allowed actual speech without the use of a sound card. If you were crafty enough you could even connect the pc speaker to your hi-fi system :

realsound.jpg

macgyver_approves.jpg

Mean Streets has its faults. The action sequences are pretty crappy and the flight simulator is clunky and time consuming, but the story and atmosphere make up for it and the game really makes you feel like you're playing the detective. Also it's one of those early games that made it essential to use the manual and write down notes and this adds to the charm, in my book at least. The fact that it's not taking itself very seriously, is another plus.

So, let's Tex the Murph, baby !

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
poster.jpg

ms-logo.png

As I said, the manual is our friend :

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

The next day Vanessa delivered :

06.jpg

Time to start this operation...

ms_000.png

heart-warming DRM...

ms_002.png

ms_003.png

:what:

Didn't know Hercules was hi-def.

Anyways...

Code:
CHAPTER 01 :
___ _  _ ____    ___  ____ ____ ___ _  _    ____ ____    ____    ___  ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____
 |  |__| |___    |  \ |___ |__|  |  |__|    |  | |___    |__|    |__] |__/ |  | |___ |___ [__  [__  |  | |__/
 |  |  | |___    |__/ |___ |  |  |  |  |    |__| |       |  |    |    |  \ |__| |    |___ ___] ___] |__| |  \

ms_004_resize.png

ms_005_resize.png

ms_012_resize.png

ms_016_resize.png

We get inside the speeder and take a look at our notes:

ms_017_resize.png

ms_018_resize.png

^ Sometimes, after a drinking spree, Tex forgets his own name.

Tex1.png
Who do they think I am, TNO ? Also : "You're job is" ?? Chris Jones didn't do much proofreading back in the day.

ms_020_resize.png

Fax machines made a comeback in the middle of the 21 century. As soon as we get inside, Vanessa sends us a fax with more info about Carl Linsky :

ms_022_resize.png
ms_024_resize.png

It's good to know that, finally, in 2033 we have flying cars. The second millennium has been a disappointment so far.
Let's take it for a spin...

ms_028_resize.png

Hey, that's the Golden Gate Bridge (Where Linsky died).
The detail is astonishing.

ms_032_resize.png

Now, in order to meet with someone you need to know the Navigation Code (NC) of his residence. Once you know, you can get there with the speeder. You can ask Vanessa to research someone and find his Nav code. Let's have a talk with her through our futuristic, hi-tech videophone :

ms_038_resize.png

In the future they have all the cool gadgets.

ms_039_resize.png

Vanessa.png
What's up Tex ?

Tex's secretary is Nancy Allen ! Let's find the Nav codes for all the people that we know are involved so far :

ms_043_resize.png

Once you know a name you must be sure to write it down correctly because you'll need to type it fully each time you're asking for information.

Tex1.png
Also check out Sylvia Linsky, Delores Lightbody, Steve Clements and John Richards.

Vanessa1.png
Sure thing.

Inquiring about random stuff wont get you any special results. The game only understands people's names and a few specific words.

ms_061_resize.png

bye.jpg

Shortly afterwards Vanessa faxes her findings:

ms_077_resize.png

So far the people of interest to our investigation are :
  • CARL LINSKY (Home : NC 4660, Work: 4663)
    The scientist that allegedly committed suicide. We was working on some secret project and seemed frightened.
  • SYLVIA LINSKY (NC 4421)
    Carl's daughter, our client. She says she wants to find her daddy's murderers, but she would also like the hefty insurance that she can't get due to him committing suicide.
  • DELORES LIGHTBODY (NC 4920)
    Carl's fiancee.
  • JOHN RICHARDS (NC 4670)
    Forensic coroner. He examined the body.
  • STEVE CLEMENTS (NC 4680)
    The police detective on the case.

It's time we checked out some of these places. Let's head to Linsky's lab in the University. We open the navigation computer and enter the code :

ms_090_resize.png

Afterwards we can fly manually, or engage the autopilot. Believe me you'll want the autopilot, because flying and landing this piece of junk can be a pain.

ms_098_resize.png

ms_100_resize.png

Places that aren't of much importance just give you a text description.

ms_104_resize.png
ms_105_resize.png

As you can guess, the university is one of them.
Maybe we should have another talk with the sexy daughter :

ms_108_resize.png

ms_111_resize.png

ms_116_resize.png

The bell chimed inside, and after a moment, Sylvia opened the door. She wore a pale blue blouse and white shorts that were short enough to be friendly. She was as beautiful as ever, with her soft blond hair and clear blue eyes. I knew I was starting to fall for her. "Careful" I reminded myself...

ms_125_resize.png

Hey, we can try to find that out :

ms_125a_resize.png

ms_125b_resize.png

Such a tease. We better snap out of it though and do some serious questioning :

Tex1.png
Tell me again about your father.

Sylvia.png
He was happy at USF (NC 4663). Then he took a leave of absence to do some consulting work, and his whole personality changed. I'm sure he was in some sort of trouble.

Tex1.png
What sort of trouble ?

Sylvia.png
That's what I want you to find out. Because of this I've lost both my father and the insurance money. If you need to look though his apartment, it's located at (NC 4660).

Tex1.png
Tell me about the insurance.

Sylvia.png
What, you're thinking I might have killed my father for the insurance money, aren't you ?

Tex1.png
It sure is a lot of money...

Sylvia.png
I'm not going to deny that I could use 1.000.000 dollars. But I honestly believe that my father was murdered, and if he was, I'm entitled to the money. But if you investigate his death, and you're convinced it's a suicide, I'll accept your findings.

Let's ask about her father's fiancee :

ms_147_resize.png

Sylvia.png
Delores and my father had talked about getting married. I always felt she had seduced him by black magic, because there's no other way my father would have fallen for a woman like her.

Not much love there. We proceed to ask her about herself :

Tex1.png
I'd like to know more about you, Sylvia.

Sylvia.png
My past has been a little wild, Tex. I just have this thing about men. But I think a man like you would be enough to settle me down.

Whoa, she just turned on the heat.

Tex1.png
:drool:

Sylvia.png
Maybe when this case is over, you and I could explore that possibility.

Exploring possibilities is what Tex does for a living, baby.
Next stop the coroner's office :

ms_167_resize.png

ms_172_resize.png

ms_179_resize.png

Walking inside the medical Examiner's office is a truly depressing experience. Long cold dark corridors and stainless steel utensils everywhere. They've gotten so busy down here they've had to install a conveyor belt.

I wonder how much longer I've got before the meat wagon brings me here... for my ride down the disassembly line. John Richards, the M.E., meets me in the examination room, He's pretty strange, but it would take someone who's pretty strange to do a job like this.

ms_194_resize.png

Richards.png
Tell you about Linsky's death ? Nothing odd about this one. He jumped off the bridge, massive shock when he hit, lungs filled with water, dead as a rock.

Tex1.png
Have you concluded the autopsy, doc ?

Richards.png
Yes, I'll send you a copy.

Let's see what he thinks about Tex the Murph :

ms_211_resize.png

Richards.png
You've kept us pretty busy over the years, Tex. But if you're not more careful, someone's going to put a slug in you. Then it'll be your turn in our little butcher shop.

With these happy sentiments we decide to split. Shortly afterwards we receive the fax with the autopsy report :

ms_215_resize.png
ms_216_resize.png

A small hole in the skull indicates recent surgery, huh ?
We make a mental note of this on our way to see the victim's fiancee, Delores Lightbody :

ms_241_resize.png

ms_245_resize.png

I walk up to the front door and ring the bell. She answers the door. Ms. Lightbody is not what I expected. She has the face of a saint.

... a Saint Bernard.

ms_251_resize.png

Whoa, Linsky was one kinky dude. :lol:

Delores1.png
Carl was my fiance, and he had been quite upset lately. He was worried about the project he was working on.

Tex1.png
What was he working on ?

Delores1.png
He wouldn't talk about it in specifics. Carl lived at (NC 4660) but he didn't work there. I think he had a lab somewhere in the city.

Tex1.png
Do you know who he was working for ?

Delores1.png
His work must have been for the Government because everything was top secret.

She seems distressed. Let's find a more uplifting topic:

Tex1.png
Tell me about yourself, Delores.

ms_260_resize.png

Tex, you beautiful bastard, always lucky with the ladies...

Tex1.png
What can you tell me about Sylvia Linsky ?

Delores1.png
Sylvia and I never got along very well. When her father died she was quite upset. She was even more upset when she talked to Peter Dull, the insurance agent.

Tex1.png
Is that so ?

Delores.png
It seems the insurance company would not pay the 1.000.000 dollars because her father's death was declared a suicide.

Tex1.png
When did Carl decide to take a life insurance policy ?

Delores.png
Several months ago. He was worried about his health and wanted to leave his daughter something.

Tex1.png
Where can I find this Peter Dull ?

Delores.png
He works at NC 4674.

We'll finish the interview with a question about good ol' Tex:

ms_278_resize.png

ms_279_resize.png

What ? We can't let that bitch talk to us this way !
As you can see after each reply you get the option to bribe or threaten if you don't like the response you get. Let's threaten the shit out of her !

ms_309_resize.png

DIS+GON+B+GUD.gif

SOCKO.jpg

ms_311_resize.png

:kwafuckyeah:

I guess that will teach us not to go against big, scorned women. Miss Lightbody sure is heavy-handed. We can try to bribe and threaten everybody but usually threatening will result to Tex getting smacked and thrown out. Although that's not really of any consequence since you can come back afterwards and talk with them again like nothing's happened.

ms_319_resize.png

I decide to have a talk to the policeman in charge of the case :

ms_320_resize.png

I enter the west precinct station near the bay bridge. Walking down a narrow corridor, I see a number of posters in support of the Law and Order Political party. I find the office of Police Detective Steve Clements and walk in...

ms_328_resize.png

Tex1.png
Tell me about Carl Linsky.

Clements.png
Why are you interested in him ? Oh, I get it, his daughter wasn't happy with our investigations. She's knocking the hell out of cops over a simple suicide.

Tex1.png
She thinks her father was murdered.

Clements.png
Well, she's wasting your time and her money. We've got a witness, named Bash Dagot, who saw him jump off the bridge. He even left a suicide note, here have a look.

Sylvia, I'm too tired and too sick of living. Please forgive me
-- Dad.

What a crappy suicide note. We should learn more about the witness.

ms_347_resize.png

Clements.png
I'm afraid the nicest thing I can say about Dagot is that he is the ultimate low life scumbag. You'll find him past the mission disctrict. Use (NC 4657)

Tex1.png
What do you think of miss Linsky ?

Clements.png
She's headstrong and thinks she knows everything, but she's a good looking dame, that's for sure. I've heard she's a bit frisky, so watch yourself.

Tex1.png
Did you talk to Delores, the fiancee ?

Clements.png
Delores, I never understood what Carl Linsky saw in her. If she were a building, she'd be condemned.

:lol: He doesn't think much of the medical examiner, either :

ms_360_resize.png

Clements.png
He's so dull, he can't even entertain a doubt.

Tex1.png
Thankfully, you have me to brighten up your day. :D

Clements.png
You're in a worthless profession Tex, but you've given me some good tips from time to time, so I'll help you out if I can.

One last thing, before we leave. We saw some posters about a new Political movement called "Law and Order". Let's ask him about it :

ms_371_resize.png

Ok, that's enough with Clements. One important location we haven't yet visited is the victim's house :

ms_387_resize.png

The three story Queen Anne style home of Professor Carl Linsky has been well kelp. I step inside and notice the quaint style of furniture and decor.

ms_392_resize.png

And here we are at the more classic adventure part of the game where we explore a certain location with the good old "verbal" interface.

As we check through the desk we find a message left in the fax machine :

ms_405_resize.png

A-ha ! So Linsky probably had another mistress... That may give motive to Delores for murder.
Next, we we have a look around the bar, inside a shoe box we discover some papers :

ms_430_resize.png

Hey, what's going on here ? What's this "Nexus", what are these passwords for and who the hell is this S.F. ?
The plot thickens, Tex needs a drink :

ms_438_resize.png

:smug: We pocket the bottle for future usage.

ms_448_resize.png

As we continue to search the room our gaze falls on a Phychology Texbook we find in the cabinet. The author is Carl Linsky himself, a page is marked :

ms_450_resize.png

The safe combination is 37-3-16. We also find a key near the book, we take that too.
The wall above the cabinet is adorned by a big painting :

Tex1.png
It's an antique landscape. People used to buy these at Kmart.

When there's a combination there's a safe, and when there's a safe it's behind a...

ms_468_resize.png

Tex1.png
...Painting. Just like the movies.

We open it:

ms_472_resize.png

...And we pocket the money. Gahahaha !

Tex1.png
I'll take them as... evidence.

The streets are mean and the times are hard, so stealing from the rich (or dead) and giving it to the poor (=Tex) is totally not questionable. Money can be used for bying information, so it doesn't hurt having more.

ms_485_resize.png

We continue to search the house for clues and loot. An expensive display cabinet catches our gaze :

ms_486_resize.png

Inside we get a glimpse of an incredible treasure :

ms_489_resize.png

thumb.jpg

It's the elusive Maltese Fruitcake ! We MUST have it !

ms_493_resize.png

Oh crap. This was especially stupid because without a screwdriver we can't even open the display case. Now if we don't find a way to stop the alarm, we're fucked :

ms_501_resize.png

Tex1.png
Let's pretend this whole thing never happened.

Good idea. As we continue our search we find something in the trash can:

ms_602_resize.png

Hmm, Delores did mention that the professor had a new lab somewhere in the city, maybe that's it. There's also a note there :

ms_610_resize.png

So, he was going to throw her back into the ocean and as we know firsthand, this big, angry dame can be pretty dangerous.
We continue our search. Inside the desk drawer we come across a digital tape.

ms_621_resize.png

...and a grade sheet.

ms_635_resize.png

Moar like grade shit.
There's a digital tape player here. We slip the tape into the player. The voice on the tape cries out :

They're in my head,

They're in my head...

IN MY HEAD !

Whoa, either Linsky was listening to the Cranberries, or he was near a nervous breakdown. We inspect the coffee table, there's a chess set there...

ms_657_resize.png

Hmm, interesting. Chess pieces always have significance in murder mysteries. Next to the chess set there's a note :

ms_662_resize.png

Failing him... ? Could that be Wiener, the student that got an E ? Another candidate for the murder... The list is getting long.

Tex1.png
Ok, that's enough for today. I'm gonna hit the sack.

kiss.gif

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
PS the images should probably look like this:
3TUb6Fq.png

Instead of this:
ms_251_resize.png

and best probably like this:
3GFL497.png

But, eh, do what you want to.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, I know they're a bit stretched. I've uploaded most of this though so I'll probably keep them as they are. We'll see.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
poster.jpg

ms-logo.png

So, professor Carl Linsky fell from Golden Gate Bridge. This resulted to his imminent death. Police says it's suicide, yet his daughter believes it was murder. We have several suspects so far:

• Delores Lightbody, his spacious fiancee that he was going to dump for another woman.
  • His secret employers, for whom he was working on a project that had got him spooked.
  • Blaze Wiener, an angry student that holds a grudge.
  • Sylvia Linsky herself, since she hopes to gain a hefty insurance.

And it's up to Tex Murphy --private investigator, bounty hunter, part-time thief, thug for hire, ladies man-- to crack this case !

:yeah:

Code:
CHAPTER 02 :
_  _ ____    ___ _ _  _ ____    ____ ____ ____    ___  _ ___  _    ____ _  _ ____ ____ _   _
|\ | |  |     |  | |\/| |___    |___ |  | |__/    |  \ | |__] |    |  | |\/| |__| |     \_/ 
| \| |__|     |  | |  | |___    |    |__| |  \    |__/ | |    |___ |__| |  | |  | |___   |

The chapter starts with Vanessa's cute face :

ms_681_resize.png

Let's see if we can find the whereabouts of these new people that got involved with the case :

ms_682_resize.png

Tex1.png
...She was Linsky's new girlfriend.

Vanessa.png
Sure thing, I'm sending you a fax.

Tex1.png
Can you find anything about a Carl Wiener ?

Vanessa1.png
Sorry Tex, he's not listed anywhere.

Tex1.png
No problem. I'm heading out.

Vanessa.png
See ya, Tex.

I'm sure Tex could find all that info by himself, but why do that when he can get his assistant to do it ? We get Sandra's address :

ms_694_resize.png

But we'll head over to the insurance agent, Peter Dull, first.

ms_695_resize.png

ms_707_resize.png

Tex1.png
...He's so boring, even looking at him could put you to sleep.

We fight the urge to dose off and ask him about the professor :

ms_709_resize.png

PeterDull.png
Mr, Linsky had taken an insurance policy out on himself in July. The amount of the policy was 1.000.000 dollars.

Tex1.png
1.000.000 dollars his daughter won't be getting...

PeterDull.png
As you are certainly aware, there is a clause in life insurance policies that, in the event of a suicide, the policy is null and void.

ms_716_resize.png

PeterDull.png
Sylvia Linky demanded that her father's insurance be paid, but as I've told you the policy becomes void in case of a suicide.

Tex1.png
How did she take it ?

PeterDull.png
I told her we were sorry, but nothing could be done. She screamed "We'll see about that" and stormed out of my office.

Tex1.png
What about the fiancee, Delores Lightbody ?

PeterDull.png
Delores ? Not only has she kept her girlish figure, she's doubled it.

Tex1.png
Hilarious. Was she in the insurance ?

PeterDull.png
No, the sole beneficiary was the daughter. Now, I think it's time for you to leave mr. Murphy. I don't have any more time for your questions.

This pencil-pusher is starting to get on my nerves !

ms_736_resize.png

Unfortunately the guy has big staple-pushing friends...

ms_738_resize.png

BIGBOOK.jpg

This won't phase Tex! He's used to getting his head smashed.

Anyway, I think it's time we met the sole eye-witness, Dash Bagot :

ms_744_resize.png

ms_751_resize.png

Huh ? What's this ?

ms_754_resize.png

ms_756_resize.png

:x

Welcome to the game's crappy shooting sequences. Of course we're playing it on easy mode because we don't want to spend much time with this shit.

ms_760_resize.png

Each time you hit one of the thugs, they break like pinatas :

ms_762_resize.png

For some brilliant reason in the future you can only shoot when standing, and only straight ahead, so if you crouch you can avoid all bullets. Of course if they touch you, you die.

ms_767_resize.png
before gears of war-a-mole !

It's best to pop these moles as soon as possible without spending too many bullets, because you cannot buy more ammo. Bullets can only be found in certain places and they're not infinite.

ms_768_resize.png

Finally, we got past this.

ms_770_resize.png

...You'd have to have a jungle mentality to survive here. I find a suitable place to wait. I'm hoping to see the guy who witnessed Linsky's suicide. Clements showed me a mug shot of Dagot, whom he described as the ultimate lowlife scumbag. I finally see the guy. Looking at him quickly dispels the myth that a little inbreeding never hurt anyone...

Deliverance-Banjo-kid_400.jpg

ms_787_resize.png

ms_790_resize.png

I've had enough with this shit !

ms_791_resize.png

Fuck diplomacy !

ms_792_resize.png

shep-manly-tear.jpg

DashBagot.png
Ok, ok that's enough ! I'll talk.

Tex1.png
Carl. Linsky.

DashBagot.png
Yeah, I saw the old geezer jump, but the whole incident was outrageously bizzaro.

Tex1.png
How do you mean ?

DashBagot.png
The old geek walks by like Dawn of the Dead. Then he climbs over the barrier and nose dives into the bay. The amped old buzzard didn't even hesitate.

Interesting...

Tex1.png
Do you know where I can find a Blaze Wiener ?

ms_820_resize.png

Why, you little prick ! Taste the ultimate brofist !

brofist.png

DashBagot.png
Stop, I'll talk ! Blaze is a groundskeeper for the Giants at Candlestick Park. Use NC 1715.

Tex1.png
Good boy. I'll let you go back to your beauty sleep.

DashBagot.png
You're a pain in the ass, Murphy.

Tex Murphy, pain in the ass, takes his speeder to Wiener's place...

ms_838_resize.png

ms_845_resize.png

At+first+I+liked+it+but+then+I+didn%2527t.gif

Goddammit, we've been had ! It's the old "Red Herring" trick !

Oh well, there's only one destination now, the warehouse that Linsky was renting :

ms_856_resize.png

Guess what, it's not in the best of neighborhoods :

ms_860_resize.png

We move on relentlessly, leaving behind pieces of thug pottery...

ms_862_resize.png

ms_864_resize.png

Hmm, it seems we were right. This must be Linsky's lab.

ms_869_resize.png

One of the crates has an uneven hole near the floor. The hole is small and appears to have been jaggedly cut. In a moment of genius we decide to stick our finger in it :

ms_880_resize.png

Goddammit, It's a dangerous world ! We proceed to check the rest of the crates, we find an oil can and a key, we grab them both.

ms_886_resize.png

On the storage shelf a label caches Tex's eye :

ms_900_resize.png

Tex1.png
Hmm...

We move ahead and examine that big machine :

ms_919_resize.png

Nothing we can do with it right now, but next to it we find some ammunition. At last !

ms_923_resize.png

Drunk with joy we make another brilliant move, we taste the rat trap !

ms_934_resize.png

Tex1.png
Not my best moment.

Intelligence must have been our dump stat.
Let's put this embarrassing moment behind us and search the desk. Inside the drawer we discover more loot :

ms_951_resize.png

What's of interest though, is the ledger :

ms_956_resize.png

Sonny Fletcher, huh ? There was a note with encrypted passwords in Linsky's apartment that was signed with the initials S.F. Could it be the same man ? You bet your sweet ass it could.

ms_974_resize.png

^ Inside the cabinet we find various stuff. We open the band aid can and we find a...

ms_985a_resize.png

A nexus passcard ! I don't know what this is but it sounds important. We glance at the radiation pills :

Tex1.png
They have an expiration date of 2011. A relic of an earlier era.

Tasting them would result to an inglorious death :

ms_993_resize.png

FUUUUUUU+copy.png

But we're not stupid enough to do so, are we ? Our gaze falls on the calendar :

ms_1024_resize.png

dr-strangelove-peter-sellers.jpg

Whoops, that doesn't sound good. What the hell was Linsky involved in ?
Using the key we found at his home, we open the file cabinet :

ms_1042_resize.png

Overlord... some kind of secret project ? We continue our search. Inside the safe we find what started it all :

ms_1054_resize.png

We take it for safe-keeping. We do the same with an expensive antique lamp :

ms_1066_resize.png

Tex1.png
This beautiful antique belongs in a pawnshop display and not in a filthy warehouse. :smug:

Let's check out that center desk. There's a newspaper on the floor :

ms_1074_resize.png

Cal Davis, another dead scientist. What's going on here ? It's open season, these fuckers are falling like flies.
There's still a message in the fax machine :

The message reads : Professor, they're on to you. I suggest you disappear fast. The name at the bottom of the message is Sonny Fletcher.

Tex1.png
Fletcher again, Linsky must have hired him when he started to fear for his life.

His fears turned out to be genuine.

Now, let's have a look at that computer :

ms_1086_resize.png

Hmm, it's a nexus computer and we have a blue nexus passcard. Hint, hint, nudge, nudge.

ms_1089_resize.png

ms_1092_resize.png

Crap, it needs a password. Maybe the name of his daughter ?

ms_1094_resize.png

It's not that easy. Hey, wasn't there a list with encrypted passwords from Lisnky's home ?

ms_430_resize.png

Also, there was a bishop missing from Lisnky's chessboard...

Wait a minute... ISBPHO = BISHOP ?!!

ms_1111_resize.png

Mind+Blowing.gif

Tex1.png
I'm fucking brilliant.

ms_1114_resize.png
ms_1115_resize.png

ms_1118_resize.png

At last some things start to make sense. We'll need to find out what this "project overlord" is. We should contact the scientists that are still alive and that P.I., Sonny Fletcher.

But first we'll make some money !

ms_1138_resize.png

ms_1156_resize.png

Not bad, we've already gained 3400$ on the side. This case turns out to be lucrative for good ol Murphy. Let's hope it won't turn out to be deadly too.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
:lol: this shit is hilarious. ghostdog's magnum opus! :salute:

ms_770_resize.png

...You'd have to have a jungle mentality to survive here. I find a suitable place to wait. I'm hoping to see the guy who witnessed Linsky's suicide. Clements showed me a mug shot of Dagot, whom he described as the ultimate lowlife scumbag. I finally see the guy. Looking at him quickly dispels the myth that a little inbreeding never hurt anyone...

Deliverance-Banjo-kid_400.jpg

That's what's great about old European monarchies:

768px-Medal_of_Charles_Quint.jpg

You can just see the inbreeding before your eyes.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
It's like that thing Cleve was talking about. Only pure, Neanderthal intelligence could result to the cracking of the password.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
poster.jpg

ms-logo.png

We still can't say for sure if Lisnky was murdered, but he was certainly into something really dangerous. The project's name is OVERLORD and that's about all we know about it. He had hired a private investigator, Sonny Fletcher, and tried to contact other scientists working in the same project, namely John Klaus, Maurice Gribble, and David Pope. Another scientist, Cal Davis, has already met a mysterious death.

Are creationists making their big move against science, or is it something else ?

Only God knows, but Tex talks to God, as we find out in Under A Killing Moon, so I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this.

Code:
CHAPTER 02 :
___ _  _ ____    _  _ ____ _    ___ ____ ____ ____    ____ ____ _  _ _ ___ ____ ____ _  _ ____
 |  |__| |___    |\/| |__| |     |  |___ [__  |___    |___ |__/ |  | |  |  |    |__| |_/  |___
 |  |  | |___    |  | |  | |___  |  |___ ___] |___    |    |  \ |__| |  |  |___ |  | | \_ |___

It's time for Vanessa to earn her living.

ms_1162_resize.png

Vanessa1.png
Sorry Tex, I can't seem to find anything about him.

Tex1.png
Then see what you can find about John Klaus, Maurice Gribble and David Pope. All three are scientists. Mostly Dead.

Vanessa1.png
Wait a minute... I could only find Gribble and Pope. Check your fax. Anything else ?

Tex1.png
See what info you can get on GIDEON and MTC corporations and also on this new political party, Law and Order.

Vanessa.png
Sure thing.

We get a fax with Gribble's and Pope's location :

ms_1196_resize.png
ms_1207_resize.png

...info about GIDEON :

ms_1201_resize.png
ms_1202_resize.png

...MTC :

ms_1198_resize.png
ms_1200_resize.png

...and Law and Order :

ms_1203_resize.png

I think it's time we talked to Linky's latest girlfriend, Sandra Larsen.

ms_1213_resize.png

It seems Linky's taste in women varies greatly...

ms_1226_resize.png

This dude sure played around a lot for a geeky scientist.

sciencehorny.jpg

Tex1.png
Yeah, right.

So, let's see what she can give us.

ms_1234_resize.png

SandraLarsen.png
Carl and I started dating two months ago. I was heart broken when I heard about his death.

Tex1.png
You seem fine to me.

SandraLarsen.png
I'm doing fine now, but Carl's death is still a shock.

Tex1.png
Do you know his daughter, Sylvia ?

SandraLarsen.png
I like Sylvia. She's a nice kid. She can be a little wild, though, you know ?

Tex1.png
Yeah, I sure do. Ever heard of a Delores Lightbody ?

SandraLarsen.png
Delores was Carl's girlfriend, but he had grown tired of her. Carl started dating me, and said he was going to call their engagement off.

Tex1.png
He never got the chance to do it though...

SandraLarsen.png
Carl was worried about telling her because she had quite a temper.

She seems straightforward. Let's ask her about Gideon and MTC, she's working there after all.

Tex1.png
Can you tell me anything about J. Saint Gideon ?

ms_1266_resize.png

Tex1.png
Schimming is the new head honcho, huh ?

SandraLarsen.png
He's an arrogant SOB. I heard he once stuck a live bunny in paper shredder.

Tex1.png
Ouch. What's the connection with MTC corporations ?

SandraLarsen.png
It's supposed to be a Management Traing Center for employees of Gideon, but I suspect there's more to it than that. They've hired a number of scientists.

Tex1.png
What for ?

SandraLarsen.png
I don't know, but I'm sure they're not management consultants.

Tex1.png
Ever heard of a project called "Overlord" ?

ms_1290_resize.png

Tex1.png
What about Law and Order ?

SandraLarsen.png
I've seen some of these arrogant thugs around the office. They're involved with a project at MTC, that's for sure.

Tex1.png
Thanks for your time, Sandra.

So Law and Order is with MTC ? I wonder if that project she's talking about is Overlord...

One more thing, we should try to get some info on the other dead scientist , Cal Davis :

ms_1314_resize.png

Vanessa.png
Look for my fax, Tex.

ms_1322_resize.png
ms_1323_resize.png

Heh, I'm sure it's easy to mistake Cyanide for diet Coke, but the man was a scientist ! My keen detective senses are tingling.
Next stop, one of the other scientists in the list, Maurice Gribble :

ms_1328_resize.png
ms_1343_resize.png

Gribble was a dead end, let's head to David Pope :

ms_1348_resize.png
ms_1357_resize.png

gens2009-09-0716-19-56-57.jpg

Damn, nothing there either. I think it's time we talked with Frank Schimming, the head of MTC...

ms_1374_resize.png

ms_1377_resize.png

...He leads me to the elevators and tells me to go to the 67th floor. The receptionist ushers me into a huge suite to talk to Mr. Schimming., the president of Gideon Enterprises. He is a slick looking man, about 50, with gray hair and thick eyebrows. He doesn't look the least bit happy to see me.

Let's hope we'll make him even more miserable :

ms_1389_resize.png

Schimming.png
Linsky ? Oh, the old scientist who committed suicide. I understand he had done some work for MTC Corporation, which is our Management Training Center. The personnel department could have told you that.

Tex1.png
Was he working on a project called "Overlord" ?

Schimming.png
That name means nothing to me. I don't know what Linsky was working on.

O RLY ?

Tex1.png
How come a scientist was working at a Management Training center ?

Schimming.png
MTC was founded to help new employees acquire corporate decision making abilities. I personally think it's a waste of time. A manager either has the skills, or he doesn't. That's why I let them take on some scientific research from Gideon

Tex1.png
Tell me about the Gideon Corporation.

Schimming.png
Our company is involved in the development of electronic surveillance equipment. Obviously a man in your line of work doesn't have any formal engineering education, so talking to you in specifics would be a complete waste of time.

What about the founder of Gideon Corp ?

ms_1412_resize.png

Schimming.png
I replaced Mr. Gideon as President a year ago. He was filled with insane ideas. He had lost the drive to run the company in a profitable manner, and had to go.

Tex1.png
Cal Davis, another scientist formerly employed to your company, also died recently...

Schimming.png
I couldn't possibly know every employee who works at the companies I manage. Surely you have something better to do with your time than bother me with trivial questions.

Tex1.png
What's your opinion about this new political group called "Law and Order" ?

Schimming.png
Everybody's heard of them. I'm no expert. If you're done with your stupid questions, get out of here.

What ? You godddamn suit, I don't have to take this shit from you !

planeticketsbitch.gif

ms_1450_resize.png

SOCKO.jpg

ms_1453_resize.png

Ahh, now that we've had our daily share of beating, let's head to our speeder :

ms_1454_resize.png

Huh ? A fax just came in...

ms_1455_resize.png

A-ha! we've stepped on some toes. It seems we're on the right track... to a premature death, that is.

But we won't be taken aback by these pathetic threats ! We should learn more about Cal Davis, the other scientist that died. Let's head over to the Santa Barbara police station :

ms_1469_resize.png

ms_1474_resize.png

I step into Detective Monroe's office and he's sitting behind his desk. No need to wonder how he got the nickname smiley. He got a big, stupid grin on his face.

ms_1483_resize.png

smiley.png
My memory is a little hazy. Maybe a consulting fee would clear my head.

Meet Santa Barbara's finest. They'll scam you out of your last penny... Threats won't take us anywhere, we'll have to bribe this bastard.

ms_1488_resize.png

smiley.png
Is this a joke ?

Tex1.png
Just how much you want, dammit ?

smiley.png
No less than $500, Buckweed.

Tex1.png
Gah ! Take it you thief.

ms_1497_resize.png

smiley.png
The investigation verified that Cal Davis (NC 3720) accidentally killed himself, with a hazardous chemical. It appears that instead of drinking his Coke he took a mouthful of cyanide 631.

Tex1.png
How can a scientist mistake Cyanide for diet Coke ?

smiley.png
I don't know, but it's confirmed. He actually drank from the cyanide bottle. When I found him, his face had the distinct bluish tinge of cyanosis. There was no evidence of foul play.

Tex1.png
Who found him ?

smiley.png
The emergency call came in from an Aaaron Sternwood, a friend of the victim. Sternwood said he mumbled something about chess and then died.

Chess, huh ?

Tex1.png
Where can I find Sternwood ?

ms_1510_resize.png

I contemplate on shooting him in the face, but it would be a waste of a good bullet. I decide to pay the scumbag. This time $200 is enough.

ms_1513_resize.png

smiley.png
Thanks. He hangs out (literary) at the beach near Santa Barbara (NC 0439). Prepare yourself. He's not a pretty sight.

Tex1.png
Neither are you, Monroe.

smiley.png
I'm just trying to make a living. I know honesty pays, but not quite enough to suit me.

Tex1.png
Thanks for all your help. Here's a token of my appreciation :
Queen-Elizabeth-II-Giving-Finger.gif

What a slime. Tex, disgusted, enters his speeder and heads to the beach :

ms_1549_resize.png

ms_1562_resize.png

I spot Aaaron Sternwood, the last person to see Cal Davis alive. He is fat, Balding and about 45...

ms_1569_resize.png

AaaronSternwood.png
Cal was a good friend of mine. We were going out that night, and I was supposed to meet him at his house. When I got there I rang the bell, but no one answered. When I found him in his lab. He had his hands around his neck and he mumbled "checkmate".

Tex1.png
What was he talking about ?

AaaronSternwood.png
I have no idea what he meant by that.

Tex1.png
The police think he accidentally poisoned himself...

AaaronSternwood.png
I can't believe it. He was always very careful around his chemichals.

Lisnky had that nexus computer, maybe Davis had one too...

Tex1.png
Was Davis connected to the nexus network ?

ms_1609_resize.png

Interesting...

Tex1.png
Thanks for the info. So, you spend all your time here at the beach ?

ms_1588_resize.png

What a charming smile. It's time we paid a visit to Davis' home.

ms_1625_resize.png

ms_1635_resize.png

And by paying a visit, I mean break in. Unfortunately the burglar alarm goes off and we'll have to find a way to shut it down if we want to stay out of jail...

ms_1639_resize.png

Finding that goddamn alarm switch can be a pain.

To our right there's a row of animal cages :

ms_1643_resize.png

:thumbsup:

Kudos to Santa Monica police for leaving all the dead animals here to rot. Behind the cage, we get a glimpse of some panel, let's move the cage aside...

ms_1648_resize.png

Bingo ! We shut it off and the Alarm stops.

ms_1654_resize.png

We grab the cabinet key and look around. Broken glass is on the ground. Tasting the broken glass sounds like a great idea !

ms_1682_resize.png

FUUUUUUU+copy.png

...Or not. Maybe we should refrain from putting random stuff in Tex's mouth. We open the workbench drawer to find a memo :

ms_1691_resize.png

Davis' last word was "Checkmate". Yep, you guessed right, EHCCETAMK = CHECKMATE ! Are all nexus passwords chess terms ? Let's have another look at that list :

ms_430_resize.png

Code:
ISBPHO    = BISHOP (LINSKY)
UEQNE     = QUEEN
LASENTOLW   
NODGAR
GNOP
NIKG      = KING
OOPK      = ROOK
NAPW      = PAWN
EHCCETAMK = CHECKMATE (DAVIS)
BMGTAI
ETSAELMAT = STALEMATE
SLCTAE
NIKTGH    = KNIGHT
CLBAK     = BLACK
TEWIH     = WHITE

this+guy+is+unfucking+believable.gif

If you deduct anything else, feel free to say so. We move our attention to the big cage :

ms_1707_resize.png

And behind the gorilla there's a box. The passcard must be inside that box ! We decide to open the cage, dodge the ape, and grab the box :

ms_1707a_resize.png

FUUUUUUU+copy.png

*sigh* Tex must learn to choose his battles more carefully...
6467_3d9e.gif

Apparently hungry gorillas aren't to be trifled with. We check the rat cages again and spot something in an empty cage :

ms_1721_resize.png

Tex1.png
Just what I need to break open that display case in Lisnky's home ! Life is good. :smug:

Anyway, what the hell was Davis working on ? There's a table with leather straps and a drill. It doesn't look good. Under the table we spot a book :

ms_1742_resize.png

Tex1.png
The book is titled "Control Of Primate Behavior Through Microchip Technology" by Dr. Cal Davis.

This guy was into some scary shit. Now you now how EA makes you buy their shitty games.

The table to the left is filled with equipment :

ms_1760_resize.png

We take them, who knows, they may be useful. We turn on the desk lamp and within better light we spot a key on the floor. We use it to open the cabinet :

ms_1779_resize.png

We start looking for that loot :

ms_1813_resize.png

We may not be able to use the Davis' computer yet, but at least we got something from this. Immediately, we pawn it :

ms_1824_resize.png

Tex1.png
Good-Ol-Gadgets.com sure has crappy buying prices. And to think they sell these second-hand abandonware at full price. Those damn cyberPotatos...

Next stop Linsky's apartment :

ms_1842_resize.png

ms_1862_resize.png

Well, guess what, we have a screwdriver. We open the case and..

ms_1870_resize.png

Tex1.png
At last ! The Maltese Fruitcake is mine !!

Suddenly:

ms_1872_resize.png

Whoops, we forgot about the alarm. Well, as we've seen in Davis' home, futuristic alarm systems have handy switches that can disable them. We search frantically around the place and eventually we spot the switch behind the shoe box :

ms_1876_resize.png

The alarm was successfully disabled, let's run away with our loot !

ms_1882_resize.png

maltese+fruitcake.jpg

We sell it for a whooping $4000.

Tex1.png
I just couldn't part with it for less. I'm a sentimental guy.

It seems the stolen goods business is going better than the P.I. business, but we've got some leads. Next time we'll bust more heads, including our own.

Crane

Arcane
Patron

Code:
ISBPHO    = BISHOP (LINSKY)
UEQNE     = QUEEN
LASENTOLW  
NODGAR
GNOP
NIKG      = KING
OOPK      = ROOK
NAPW      = PAWN
EHCCETAMK = CHECKMATE (DAVIS)
BMGTAI
ETSAELMAT = STALEMATE
SLCTAE
NIKTGH    = KNIGHT
CLBAK     = BLACK
TEWIH     = WHITE

Code:
LASENTOLW = STONEWALL
NODGAR = DRAGON
GNOP
BMGTAI = GAMBIT
SLCTAE = CASTLE

What could GNOP be?

Crane

Arcane
Patron
No way. There must be a reason why you left all those anagrams unsolved. Maybe they relate to each other in another way -- GNOP only makes sense when combined with another one.

An anargram of GNOP and BMGTAI is GAPING TOMB, which is what Tex is going to end up in according to the last sentence of Chapter 3. I like that better.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
So is why you're not getting more people commenting on this hilarious LP, but then life is full of mysteries. Also miseries.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Maybe, but there's a lot of brofisting of the updates, meaning that people agree with me. What's weird to me is that people can't be bothered to comment on the LP, though they read and like it.

:hmmm:

I don't know, maybe that's just the way the codex is.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Maybe it's because people do not rightly feel they have anything to add to the LP, besides clutter? Like this post? :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom