Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let the DRM rape continue! New SimCity

LeJosh

Savant
Like a dull sword.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
yeah this is just a trainwreck.
im not a big city sims but to see a franchise end like this heheh.

Oh well, they still have Sims 4. :smug:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
What did you expect from a company that markets to the uneducated masses ? I have better hope in the Lincity or Linux clones of city builders than in this.

Brinko

Arcane
http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/04/02/simcity-dlc-nissan-leaf/
SimCity’s first free DLC is a logo-plastered Nissan Leaf charging station

Subtle. Maxis has a new SimCity building available for download starting today at no cost to your wallet, but with a slight hit to your integrity as a mayor. It’s a Nissan Leaf charging station. How can I tell? It’s probably because of the bright-red corporate nose-thumbing stretching across the station’s turf. Since it’s a plopable unit, the station provides additional effects for your population of a pretty lopsided nature.
Maxis explains: “The charging station will be a new destination in player’s cities where their Sims will drive their Nissan Leaf cars in order to recharge them. Once they leave, the Sims will find themselves happier. Plopping down the station will add happiness to nearby buildings. It will not take power, water, or workers away from your city. Zoom in to the streets of cities, and players will start seeing a percentage of their Sims from all wealth classes driving the electric vehicles. The station produces no garbage or sewage, as well, making it pollution free.”
In other words, you’re handed a Mary Sue building doubling as a constant happiness generator with no significant downsides beyond the space it takes up. Oh, and the cheerily red logo made large enough so you can spot it at most zoom levels. I prefer to keep my city clean of overt marketing, but it’s sure going to get tough when the Nike sidewalks speed up pedestrian traffic by 150 percent and the Firestone streets make cars exhaust Simoleons instead of pollution.
If you still want the charging station, you can get it either by punching up the in-game store or visiting Origin.

This is fucking desperate. If this keeps going I'm wondering when you will be able to place down Mt.Dew and Doritos machines to make Sims happier.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
http://www.p4rgaming.com/?p=1740
EA to Sell Offline Passes Starting With SimCity

In order to appease SimCity owners who are dissatisfied with the always online requirement, EA will begin selling offline passes for $19.99 that will allow people to play SimCity offline.
Producer Kip Katsarelis explains the offline pass concept and how it will revolutionize future EA games. “After the initial release of SimCity, we saw that many people wanted a mode where you can play offline,” says Katsarelis, “We put in a lot of hours but we finally did it and now everyone can experience the new offline mode by purchasing an offline pass.”
“Many might say that this should be free and part of the core game; however, we put in a lot of work making this game playable offline,” he continues, “By purchasing the pass, you are offsetting the cost and giving EA valuable feedback on what to do next with the game. If sales of the offline pass are good, EA might allow us to create paid offline-exclusive content.”
When asked why the game was not playable offline to begin with, Katsarelis responded, “It would actually be harder to make the game playable offline first than to make the game always online. The technical details are hard to explain; however, I can assure you that if we could have made it playable offline to begin with, we would have.”
“In the past, offline games were the norm,” Katsarelis explains, “Now we’re heading towards a future where online gaming will become the norm. With the introduction of the offline pass, we want to capture some of the nostalgia for that past. EA is giving players what they want and hopefully other companies will follow suit.”
An EA spokesperson says that Battlefield 4 will also include an offline pass because “the single-player campaign is just too good to not have an offline pass.”

FeelTheRads

Arcane
SimCity’s first free DLC is a logo-plastered Nissan Leaf charging station

Have they fixed the completely broken simulation yet or is new buildings more important?

Edit: People still fall for p4rgaming. Masters of trolling, imo. :lol:

Yup. I only realized it was fake when I read the last sentence about BF4's single player campaign. The rest, I can easily see happening. If I concentrate, I can even see the Kotaku article telling me I'm an entitled litte shit for reacting to the announcement with anything less than overjoyed gratitude.

Zeriel

Arcane
The actual quote from that developer (now my signature, thanks Infinitron!) is way more horrifying than that satirical article, sadly.

I like how you didn't mention the guy's name; makes it look like spine-chilling logs from before the apocalypse, or a madman's ramblings before a stunned crowd.

"Complexity is evil", he said! "What can we remove from the game", he said! You maniacs! You blew it! Damn you all to hell!

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Yup. I only realized it was fake when I read the last sentence about BF4's single player campaign. The rest, I can easily see happening. If I concentrate, I can even see the Kotaku Jim Sterling article telling me I'm an entitled litte shit for reacting to the announcement with anything less than overjoyed gratitude.

Fixed that for you

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
G2oOsDt.png

sparrowtm

Insert Disk 22
Developer
Since Maxis announced a few days ago what they were working on, and expectedly this was not nearly
enough to pull this piece of garbage out of the dirt, I decided to make a very codexian video lamenting
the demise of the SimCity franchise. Even my girlfriend wanted to chime in, creating a very

:rpgcodex:

experience. The only thing missing is monocles.

Shameless plug aside, I find it kinda ironic that even after my refund went through, EA hasn't removed
SimCity from my library. I wonder if they do this intentionally, and the moment you click on the icon
they charge your credit card again, going all: "YOU TOUCHED IT! YOU PAY IT!" I don't trust this. I
shall therefore not open Origin again. Something I should've never done anyway. :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom