Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ken Levine's next game is "open world-ish scifi-ish RPG"

pippin

I don't like how Ken disowned Bioshock 2. Out of the trilogy, it's probably the only Bioshock game which feels like an actual game. Characters kinda suck, but it has actual mechanics that you can employ to play at your own pace.

Unwanted

Goat Vomit

Andhaira
Andhaira
I don't like how Ken disowned Bioshock 2. Out of the trilogy, it's probably the only Bioshock game which feels like an actual game. Characters kinda suck, but it has actual mechanics that you can employ to play at your own pace.
He stole some good ideas from it in Bioshit: Infinite, like the daughterfu character and stuff. But yeah, completely agree, it's no doubt the best game in the series mechanically and the CnC and endings actually makes sense for once. Not too shoddy for a slamdunk, it even had a decent DLC.

dukeofwhales

Cipher

Did he have anything to do with it? I was under the impression it was developed completely independently of him. I thought the gunfights and feel of the weapons in 2 was the best of the series (and BS:I got it all wrong) but I found all the repetitive "boss" fights in every area (clear the area of splicers -> clear the area of Big Daddies -> survive splicer onslaught as you gather ADAM -> fight Big Sister) got tiring real quick. In retrospect, much better than BS:I though.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
The ending of Bioshock infinite plus the huge amount of backtracking in that game gave me a terminal case of not giving a shit if he ever makes another game again.

pippin

Did he have anything to do with it? I was under the impression it was developed completely independently of him. I thought the gunfights and feel of the weapons in 2 was the best of the series (and BS:I got it all wrong) but I found all the repetitive "boss" fights in every area (clear the area of splicers -> clear the area of Big Daddies -> survive splicer onslaught as you gather ADAM -> fight Big Sister) got tiring real quick. In retrospect, much better than BS:I though.

Yes, Bio2 was made by 2k Marin. It is generally hated by Levine's fanboys because it lacks him. While I agree killing everything + ocassionally engaging in Tower Defense mode is tiring, the levels are cleverly designed, the alternative ammo modes actually help (making traps feels good, actually) and the hacking isn't really retarded anymore (I mean, everything can be better than fucking Minesweeper).

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Honestly the term RPG has been butchered so much lately that I'm not even sure what to expect, but hey at least the term choice and consequence is mentioned. Let's see if it will be actual C&C though and not just superficial shit.
Save little girls = good ending video.
Harvest 1 little girl to see what happens = evul Hitler scum of the earth ending video.

Choice!
Replayability!
Freedum!
Constants and variables!

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
The ending of Bioshock infinite plus the huge amount of backtracking in that game gave me a terminal case of not giving a shit if he ever makes another game again.

Burial at sea kind of improves on it a bit though. It definitely makes the story of Infinite seem less retarded.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
He also thought Bioshock had choice and consequence. Can't wait to see what his definition of 'open world' is...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
He also thought Bioshock had choice and consequence. Can't wait to see what his definition of 'open world' is...

Perhaps he finally discovered BioWare and CD Projek's choose a path (but they all lead to the same thing and affect nothing) game mechanics. BEHOLD! An OPEN WORLD!

The Citizen Kane of Gaming is truly upon us my friends...

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Hello? Didn't you see my post #34?

You get to see TWO different ending cinematics. That's twice as much as one. CHOICE!

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
george-w-bush-quote-theres-an-old-saying-in-tennessee-i-know-its-in.jpg

Telengard

Arcane
Haha you fell for a Roguey post.
But Roguey wasn't even trollin'. The similarities in story, structure, character, character interaction, level design gating, weaponry, sound effects, etc etc etc were even noted by the clueless reviewers of the time in their reviews. Levine even lost a bit of credibility for copying the story lock, stock, and barrel - right down to the same events and revelations. As stated, Bioshock is simply a clone of SS2 (if a stripped down version cor consoles).

Which makes Levine the Louis L'amore of developers. And Bioshock the Hondo* of gaming.

* It's also a movie. In 3d. Starring John Wayne.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Haha you fell for a Roguey post.
But Roguey wasn't even trollin'. The similarities in story, structure, character, character interaction, level design gating, weaponry, sound effects, etc etc etc were even noted by the clueless reviewers of the time in their reviews. Levine even lost a bit of credibility for copying the story lock, stock, and barrel - right down to the same events and revelations. As stated, Bioshock is simply a clone of SS2 (if a stripped down version cor consoles).

Which makes Levine the Louis L'amore of developers. And Bioshock the Hondo* of gaming.

* It's also a movie. In 3d. Starring John Wayne.

Yes, a steampunk-ish console corridor shooter has exactly the same weapons and level design as a non-linear space sci-fi shooter with rpg and survival-horror elements.

I especially loved how the customisable laser guns in System Shock 2 and comprehensive inventory system are totally the same as a steampunk shotgun that you can extensively cutomise by putting a different gear on the back through the totally non-existent inventory system.
Yeah the story of a wannabe Ayn Rand impersonator that cannot into Objectivism and gets himself into a civil war - I can totally see how that's the same as a crazed AI taking over a ship and wanting to shape reality into her weird nightmare. Exactly the same.
All the characters in Bioshock, yeah totally the same as SS2 where there are none whatsoever. Much similar interaction, so steal, wow.

The only thing that is even remotely similar, is that both are first person shooters and both have a shocking revelation that your friend isn't really your friend. Oh and both had regeneration chambers. Nothing that matters is even remotely the same.

Besides, Levine had little to do with SS2, he was just taking notes. That was all Spector.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Besides, Levine had little to do with SS2, he was just taking notes. That was all Spector.

Warren Spector had zero involvement with System Shock 2. It was Ken Levine's game but with heavy input from Looking Glass Studios.

The overall structure of SS2 and BioShock is pretty similar, right down to both games starting in a "Med-Sci" level.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom