Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Mighty No. 9 - It's better than nothing.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
So Keiji Inafune has finally gotten around to making a spiritual successor to Megaman and has taken it to Kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9

He's currently asking for $900,000 and has stretch goals up to 2.5 million. The base game costs $20 but apparently to get a manual you need to spend $40. He has a good amount of people from the original team, including the soundtrack composer (thank god). Also apparently he's trying to have a lot of community interaction asking backers about the parts they liked in the old games, what to focus on, and a contest to design an enemy.

If I had $60 to throw in for a box I would probably go for it but I don't think I'll be able to give to this regardless. What about anyone else?

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot to mention this but there's a couple of backer excluvise things in the game like a shin and power. Still don't like backer exclusive stuff so not too keen on that.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
This looks more like a Chinese bootleg of Mega Man than anything else. Screenshots look like some flash game. He's drawing more inspiration from the Classic Mega Man rather than X so fuck that noise.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I guess it is not only CRPGs that suffer from "more of the same" kickstarter syndrome

kaizoku

Arcane
So Keiji Inafune has finally gotten around to making a spiritual successor to Megaman and has taken it to Kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9

megaman you say!?
:yeah:

d872aedcdccf552f3a519ee565576732_large.jpg

fucking mickey mouse aesthetics
:rage:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Also, outside of that one infamous cutscene, Zero is pretty cold from what I've seen. He's generally all business.

I want a new Megaman game, but yeah, not liking the aesthetics of this new character very much.

Still, looks like it'll easily hit its goal. Any kind of middle finger to Capcom is a good thing.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I don't consider or care about any Megaman game after X4 (maybe 5, but I don't remember that one too well, was there a space shuttle or some shit?). Zero was the fucking ma- err, robot?

TigerKnee

Arcane
It was probably X5. They launched a space shuttle as the final ditch effort to stop Axis's Colony Drop... uh, I mean Sigma's colony drop.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Zero's gameplay is much more interesting, instead of guns that you have to keep swapping, he gets new abilities, like double jump, spinning attacks, deflecting blasts, mid-air dashes, etc...

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Not to mention fucking SHORYUKEN
And REVERSE SHORYUKEN!

Mega Man X4

Raijingeki
(雷神撃? "Raijin Attack") Web Spider By pressing the Special Weapon button while standing, Zero will perform a forward thrust with the Z-Saber as a blade of blue lightning.

Kuuenbu
(空円舞? "Air Waltz") Split Mushroom The Kuuenbu technique allows Zero the ability to jump one more time after an initial jump. (This is not actually an attack. Zero keeps this ability in most of the later games.)

Kuuenzan
(空円斬? "Air Circling Slash") Split Mushroom
The Kuuenzan technique allows Zero to perform a rolling slash attack with his Z-Saber whilst in the air. The slash will still go on as Zero changes directions.

Rakuhouha
(落鳳破? "Falling Phoenix Crusher") Cyber Peacock As his Giga Attack, Zero punches the ground, sending out waves of energy in a fan-like pattern.

Tenkuuha
(天空覇? "Aether Supremacy/Sky Command") Storm Owl The Tenkuuha technique upgrades the Z-Saber, tinting it violet and allowing it to destroy energy shots.

Ryuenjin
(龍炎刃? "Dragon Flame Blade") Magma Dragoon
By pressing Up and Special Weapon button while standing, Zero will perform a leaping upward slash with the Z-Saber as a blade of red flames. This move has a fixed height.

Hyouretsuzan
(氷烈斬? "Ice Fury Slash") Frost Walrus Zero will perform a falling downward thrust with the Z-Saber as a giant light blue icicle. Can not be interrupted, but he can aim the icicle left or right to hit the target more effectively.

Hienkyaku
(飛燕脚? "Flying Swallow Feet") Jet Stingray
The Hienkyaku technique allows Zero to perform a dash in mid-air. (This is not actually an attack.)

Shippuuga
(疾風牙? "Hurricane Fang") Slash Beast
By pressing the Special Weapon button during a dash move, Zero will perform a large, twirling slash with a pink blade, hitting up to three times in a row. Take note that Zero can only do this while dashing on the ground, and not while performing Hienkyaku at the same time.
Best moveset ever.
:love:

Ninjerk

Arcane
God, the hits you could get with Raijingeki. I want the Shoryuken as smiley. Dunno what for.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Not my type of game but it's nice to see Jap developers start using KS. Plus Inafune is the real deal and it looks like his team have their shit together, much better than the Project Phoenix guys . Mega Man is mostly dead these days so there's plenty of demand for this type of game from that fanbase.

Also, I am fucking jealous of Japan right now, from that video it looks like they still have stores that sell old video games and hardware like NES.

Gozma

Arcane
I had no idea they made more Mega Man games after the NES, where there were like forty of them. Shit is like Sonic to me, they apparently just kept making them

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Looks like this thing is headed for at least 2 million. The part where they describe Beck using martial arts moves is pretty cool too.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I don't think I've played a single megaman game other than X on SNES. Is there a dearth of sidescrolling platformers these days? I remember dust a furry tail going on steam sales a couple times.
A dearth of good ones, yeah. Dust was all flash and no substance. Lots of artwork, voice acting, totally irrelevant gameplay that you could button mash through, and all the secrets felt pointless. And most of the smaller indie stuff is either a really primitive shit platformer made for people who never even played mario bros, or just badly designed. Best ones in recent memory are Cave Story and Iji, and I'd still rate those two below X1-3, or SotN.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom