Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

JRPG Recommendations?

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Anyone got any recommendations on JRPGs? Looking for one with party or at least character creation, good mechanics, fun combat and some exploration. Emulator only allowed. I don't care for the most part about the art style, but no emo stories and/or characters.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Final Fantasy (1987 Famicom, 1990 NES), no real story or characters to speak of. You choose 4 characters from 6 classes, so offering 126 party combinations (not taking party order into account, as this can be changed). Combat is turn-based though without tactical movement. Features sizable dungeons, where you can't save or rest within the dungeon, and decent exploration. "Borrows" very heavily straight from D&D.

frostdr.jpg

airship.jpg

There are also various ports with different graphics.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
There are a bazillion such games. I feel like Crooked Bee is the most sagacious on the topic.

Back when I was a kid, I remember thinking that Dragon Warrior 3 had many of the qualities you're describing. Here's how Wikipedia puts it:
Dragon Quest III is noted for greatly expanding upon the gameplay of the original Dragon Quest and Dragon Quest II. The game uses basic role-playing video game conventions such as leveling up by gaining experience points and equipping items.[4][5] The battle system is turn-based like the other games in the series, though the remakes incorporate various interface changes from later titles. These include simpler door opening, a bag to store items instead of keeping them at a bank, quick item sorting with "Tidy Item" and "Tidy Bag" command, and a "Full HP" command to automate the process of casting healing and status restoring spells. And while earlier Dragon Quest games were non-linear in structure, Dragon Quest III featured an even more open-world experience. It also allowed the player to freely swap characters in and out of their party and introduced the day/night cycle in which certain items, characters, and quests are only accessible at specific times of the day.

Classes

Dragon Quest III features a class system, in which each character has a certain class. At the start of the game, the player begins as a single male or female hero but is able to recruit members at the local tavern.[8] While the Hero always keeps the Hero class, the other characters can choose to be any of the following of either gender: Soldier (Warrior in the GBC version), Fighter, Pilgrim (Cleric), Wizard (Mage), Merchant (Dealer), Goof-Off (Jester), Sage, and Thief which was available only in the later versions. The choice of class greatly affects the character's stats and spells he or she can learn.[4][5][9] Furthermore, upon reaching experience Level 20, a character has the option of changing classes at the temple of Dhama, found halfway through the game.[10] A character who changes classes has their stats halved and restarts at experience Level 1, retaining their spells and, in the remakes, their personality. This allows a player to create a character that knows Wizard spells but has the defense of a Soldier.[8] Unlike most Dragon Quest parties, aside from the Hero, the party is not made up of characters involved in the story. Although only four characters can be in the party at a time, extra members of the party can be kept at the tavern, allowing room for new recruits.[11] Another innovation is an arena where the player can place bets on the outcome of monster battles in order to win more gold.[12]

In the remakes, after selecting a character, the player can change the character's starting abilities with five magical seeds, given at the tavern.[13] Also, each character has a personality trait which affects the growth rate of their abilities. The Hero's personality is determined by the player's choices and actions during a dream sequence at the start of the game, while other characters' personalities are determined by their status at the end of the character generation process. Most personalities are available to both male and female characters, while a few are exclusive to male or female characters. A character's personality can be temporarily changed by equipping certain accessories, or permanently changed by using certain consumable books.
Seventh Saga has some interesting stuff along these lines, too, same with the unrelated Saga Frontier. The SMT series is also know for such features.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Thanks. Looks good. I wanna say I played (a small bit of) one of the ports of it but I'm unsure.
Edit: Just looked it up, was thinking of Swords of Mana

Hyperion

Arcane
Seiken Densetsu 3 is the king of the Mana series. 6 playable characters, 3 man party of any combo. Story changes slightly depending on who you choose as the main protagonist, and has 3 different primary antagonists / endbosses depending on your choice. Each character gets 2 class changes with a 'Light' or 'Dark' choice each time for 4 endgame classes each character, with different special attacks and spell selection.

Dragon Warrior 9 has full party creation with 12 different classes, half of which need to be unlocked by completing quests. Main story is kinda boring, postgame has tons of grinding out levels, and doing grottoes, which are comparable to the mapping system in Path of Exile, but to an obvious lesser extent.

Final Fantasy 12: Zodiac Edition. Static party, but has a class for each zodiac sign that you permanently assign to each character when you get them. Each class has its own unique license board. Tons of exploration. Combat is essentially RTwP that lets you automate rote buffs and actions so you can focus on important actions, or staring at Fran's bare ass if you're a furry. People like to bitch about it, but it's good.

Last edited:

Puck Man

Novice
Seems to me that most console style/Japanese RPGs don't allow you to make your own party or even your main character. But as Hyperion said, if you play the International Zodiac Job System version of Final Fantasy XII (use a ps2 emulator) you do get to choose what job for each individual. It's also a great game in my opinion. The ps2 game is actually japanese with english audio but there are fully translated versions out there if you do a quick look.

By JPRG you mean turn-based, menu driven combat system? Or simply an RPG developed by Japanese?

Puck Man

Novice
Here are a couple of my favs from the PS1 era:

Xenogears is party based. Combat is kind of unique and fun when compared to the usual jRPG. And it's like this totally epic kind of story. So big that the dev team ran out of time and money apparently.

Vagrant Story is more of a dungeon crawler than your usual jRPG experience. For combat the game pauses and you choose which part of the enemy's body to attack or what spell to use. It's got an awesome dark story. If you like dungeon crawlers and Dark Souls I think you'd like this.

Deleted Member 16721

Note - I will be posting a few links to videos I made for my suggestions. I am not guaranteeing my videos are good or even watchable, so viewer discretion is advised. You have been warned!

These are a bunch of different types of JRPGs off the top of my head that might be of interest to someone here, including a few lesser-known titles.

Vandal Hearts is a slept-on strategy JRPG. PS1 game. Had a bunch of fun with this one growing up.

Brigandine is a tactical/"grand strategy" JRPG. Large war game with a story. Very cool and also overlooked.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together and Final Fantasy Tactics. Added both because they are similar yet different. Both strategy RPGs that are must-plays. If you have to pick one to play make it Tactics Ogre (this is the more "hardcore" RPG of the 2).

Arcana
for SNES. First-person dungeon-crawler meets story JRPG.

Rogue Galaxy for PS2. PS2 in general had a ton of good JRPGs, this being one of them. Space pirate JRPG.

Suikoden 1,2 and 3. First two on PS1, 3 on PS2. All 3 are must-plays, IMO. Watch my Suikoden video I just uploaded to learn more about the series.

Lots of JRPGs for DS/PSP that can be emulated and are fun. Etrian Odyssey (dungeon-crawler), Infinite Space (JRPG...in spaaace!!!), Dragon Quest IV and more.

On the traditional JRPG tip, there are many good ones. Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy IV, V, VI, and VII. You might want to look into systems like SNES/PS1/PS2/PSP/DS as this is where you are going to find a lot of good JRPGs to emulate.

This is by no means a definitive list but some suggestions to start. Let us know which game you end up playing and what you think of it! :)

Golden Sun and Golden Sun 2 on the GBA. Traditional JRPG combat. But you can catch djinns! Equipping different Djinns to your character gives them different stats/spells. Quite Good. There is Golden Sun Dark Dawn on the NDS, but never played that.

Fire Emblem and Fire Emblem the Sacred Stones on GBA. Fire Emblem:Radiant Dawn on Wii. IT is a strategy RPG where you can recruit tons of characters. TB battles and all weapons / spell books have limited durability. Very fun. Note that I haven't played Radiant Dawn yet.

Atelier Series. Titles can be found on NDS and PS2 among others. Fun time management/slice of life jRPG with TB combat.

Disgaea DS on NDS and Disgaea 2 on PS2 or PSP. Strategy RPG with very fun mechancis like lfiting/throwing, master/disciple, reincarnation and senate. Lots of recruitable unique characters or creatable human/monster characters. MC is fixed though.

Grandia on PSX and Grandia II/III on PS2. This is another fun jrpg. Combat is TB with time units kind of thing. Weapon skills/ spells level up by use. and combination of different weapon / spell levelups give special skills. Very fun combat. Haven't played Grandia 3. Highly recommend Grandia though.

Jeanne D Arc on PSP. Strategy RPG in medieval European setting. Quite Good.

Star Ocean on SNES (and its remake on PSP) also quite good. You can spend skill points to customize your characters. Recruitable party. The SNES version plays like a TB game but has a clock running and game pauses when your turn comes.

Star Ocean 2 on PSX/PSP. has real time combat on a 2d battle screen. And Star ocean 3 is a piece of shit so stay far far away from it.

The Legend of Heroes Series on PSP. The Legend of Heroes : Trails in the sky out for PC too. I found the characters in trails in the sky a bit annoying. but trails in the sky has a good gem/magic system along with TB tactical battles.

Eternal poison for PS2. This is one of my favorite strategy RPGs. There is no grinding/repeatable battles so it is difficult. To get the real story you have to play through multiple player characters. Each player character has his own unique party members and gets a different view of the plot. All MCs have with generic class based recruitables.

Final Fantasy Tactics (on PSX / PSP) / Tactics Ogre (SNES / PSP) / phantom brave (PS2/PSP) are strategy rpgs. Out of these 3 storyfags should definitely play the PSX version of Final Fantasy Tactics. Tactics Ogre is more strategy side but very good none the less. Phantom Brave is inferior to disgaea but still fun me thinks.

Elminage Original and Elminage Gothic on the PSP. Wizardry like Dungeon Crawler. Fucking Awesome. TB Menu driven combat. Gothic on PC too.

Breath of Fire 1-3. Standard jrpg but you can turn into a dragon! (3 on PS2 others on SNES) 3 has fun little touch of masters. your player can accept an npc master to elarn new skills and influence player stats.

Breath of Fire 4 on PS2 is different from other breath of Fire series games. your dragon powah is a curse. You get OP if use dragon powah, but it eats your life. Use dragon powah too much and its game over. Oh and mindlessly walking around too much also minutely fills your curse meter (but can be mostly ignored if u use dragon powah only in boss battles)

Bahamut's Lagoon on SNES. it is a strategy rpg. where you move small parties around a map. final combat is jrpg TB. Think of SMT Devil Survivor types combat. you have pet dragons and feed your dragons anything to influence their stats and evolutions. Oh the female lead is a total bitch, and PC's mentor tries to show homo love. Lots of different classes and really fun gameplay otherwise.

Earthbound for SNES. JRPG with a lighthearted story.

Lufia / Lufia 2 on SNES. Fun JRPGs.

Tales of Phantasia on SNES. Battle screen is realtime 2D and actually works decent with controllers. You can give it a try.

Also among the titles recommended, I would second SMT: Nocturne, SMT: Strange Journey, Legend of Mana, Final Fantasy, 7th Saga (but use one of the 7th Saga+ hack in that case or its very annoying), Etrian odyssey II (and II and I), Seiken Densetsu 3, Dragon Quest 9, Suikoden Series, Infinite Space. haven't played rogue galaxy, vandal hearts, brigadine or Arcana but looks fun.

Thats all i can recommend form the top of my head. Not all of the recommendations satisfy all your requirements but they are good jrpg titles anyway.

One Exception is Elminage Gothic / original which have character creation and fully customizable party and very good exploration but they are wizardry style dungeon crawlers.

Deleted Member 16721

^ Nice list.

I almost forgot Romancing SaGa. The PS2 remake is cool, haven't played the SNES version. Overall it's a very unique JRPG. It's open-world but in a different way than you've seen before. It has several main characters to choose from and each has their own unique story. Has a bunch of weird elements that you just don't see in other RPGs of that time or even today. Lots of "dynamic" things that can happen at different points depending on what you've done or where you've been. Lots of character customization and a more "free" customization system than usual JRPGs. Check it out if you want something different. PS2XE can basically upscale the game to 4K as well. :)

^ Nice list.

I almost forgot Romancing SaGa. The PS2 remake is cool, haven't played the SNES version. Overall it's a very unique JRPG. It's open-world but in a different way than you've seen before. It has several main characters to choose from and each has their own unique story. Has a bunch of weird elements that you just don't see in other RPGs of that time or even today. Lots of "dynamic" things that can happen at different points depending on what you've done or where you've been. Lots of character customization and a more "free" customization system than usual JRPGs. Check it out if you want something different. PS2XE can basically upscale the game to 4K as well. :)

Damn I remember i started playing the snes version in my childhood but never got to finish for some reason. Yeah its not grindy and you earn jewels to learn skills iirc.

Deleted Member 16721

Damn I remember i started playing the snes version in my childhood but never got to finish for some reason. Yeah its not grindy and you earn jewels to learn skills iirc.

Somehow I missed the SNES version as a kid. Maybe it was rare or something. The PS2 one is an oddball RPG but I mean that in a good way. Definitely one of a kind.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I don't know if Earthbound or Mother 3 were mentioned but they are must plays for the genre. Shadow Hearts is good too. FF Tactics was mentioned, but I want to further emphasize how much you should play it. Go with the PSP version I think. Final Fantasy V had the best job system aside from Tactics.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Those early FF games are nearly unplayable

I disagree. I would prefer to play the update versions of 1 and 2(GBA would be preferable), but the ones after that play fine. They hit their stride at 4 when the story improved but they got rid of the job system, then bringing it back in 5...never to be seen again - until Tactics. It fits his requirement to a tee.

Most of the game in the series up until the dreaded X are pretty good. I mean they are trope ridden and the story isn't on the scale of Planescape, but there is definitely something there worth looking at. Thee are a wide variety of settings to suit various tastes, so you can bet on finding at least one entry in the series that has some appeal, at least if you like the genre.

sullynathan

Arcane
Those early FF games are nearly unplayable

I disagree. I would prefer to play the update versions of 1 and 2(GBA would be preferable), but the ones after that play fine. They hit their stride at 4 when the story improved but they got rid of the job system, then bringing it back in 5...never to be seen again - until Tactics. It fits his requirement to a tee.

Most of the game in the series up until the dreaded X are pretty good. I mean they are trope ridden and the story isn't on the scale of Planescape, but there is definitely something there worth looking at. Thee are a wide variety of settings to suit various tastes, so you can bet on finding at least one entry in the series that has some appeal, at least if you like the genre.
Meant more like FF1 & 2 with the repetitive combat and grinding

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I see. I agree with that point, but they did make improvements on the remakes. No reason not to play those versions if you do happen to try it.

sullynathan

Arcane
Those were the versions I played. The android ones, they look nice

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom