Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Bethesda inclined?

• Thread starter Deleted member 11480
  • Start date

Deleted member 11480

I understand Bioware's pandering; it makes sense. Playing Obliviskyrim feels like I've found something made for a space alien
It's the complete opposite, the Elder Scrolls are actual games, like it or not, while Bioware stuff is more and more looking like a Telltale take on RPGs with long ass breaks and expositions. Their romance agenda is also starting to hurt them even for normal people outside of the Codexian greenhouse dome, as more and more are ridiculing and mocking their atrocious dialogues and sex scenes. DA3 is for all intents and purposes a game much more cringeworthy than even Oblivion was, for the average gamer. Just browse around a couple of videos showing Oblivion's stupid dialogues and then DA3's romance scenes and look at their comments.

At this point I definitely respect Bethesda much much more than Bioware. Even at their worst, they are at least trying. Bio games should have their threads moved to public library (as we lack a section for actual fanfics) or straight to retardo land.

Glaurung

Liberal's alt
Shitposter
What in the fuck are Bethesda even trying to do? :lol:

You have to be fucking kidding me.
Inclining the series by making Skyrim incorporate a great deal of ideas from Morrowind, despite the financial success and critical acclaim of Oblivion. This means that somebody in Bethesda (probably not Todd Howard) was prepared to listen to the feedback given by long-standing fans of the series and invest effort into reviving some of the good concepts from Morrowind, even though they could have simply cloned Oblivion with all of its game-destroying flaws/total lack of personality and even further dropped the quality of writing/conceptualizing the game, hoping that the market would pick up this shit again by reflex.

That's the exact opposite of what Bioware did with Dragon Age Inquisition, at any rate. Clone DA2, multiply every encounter by a dozen, multiply eveyr location by a hundred (and forget to add the little touches that would make it feel alive and interesting), and rely on an army of shills to carry the product into the open arms of the consoletard sheeple market.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Inclining the series by making Skyrim incorporate a great deal of ideas from Morrowind, despite the financial success and critical acclaim of Oblivion. This means that somebody in Bethesda (probably not Todd Howard) was prepared to listen to the feedback given by long-standing fans of the series and invest effort into reviving some of the good concepts from Morrowind, even though they could have simply cloned Oblivion with all of its game-destroying flaws/total lack of personality and even further dropped the quality of writing/conceptualizing the game, hoping that the market would pick up this shit again by reflex.

That's the exact opposite of what Bioware did with Dragon Age Inquisition, at any rate. Clone DA2, multiply every encounter by a dozen, multiply eveyr location by a hundred (and forget to add the little touches that would make it feel alive and interesting), and rely on an army of shills to carry the product into the open arms of the consoletard sheeple market.

I think that can be illustrated very well by the fact that with Skyrim Bethesda mentioned horse armor only self-ironically, while BioWare had an actual horse armor dlc / preorder bonus.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd like to wait for more games from Bethesda before pronouncing them officially (slightly) inclined. It's a shame they're now stuck in some kind of next-gen console development hell.

The last time they made a game for next-gen consoles they weren't familiar with, we got Oblivion. :M

P.S. LEAVE TODD ALONE, Ken Rolston was always the true evil. :M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's also Elder Scrolls Online.

That's actually made by a different developer (Zenimax Online Studios). It's also not very successful, I think.

Not to say they might not have multiplayer elements in FO4 and whatever comes after that, of course.

Athelas

Arcane
Bethesda games are a bit of an oddity in the AAA sphere, with things like a non-voiced main character and the general lack of polish. It's likely this is the sort of stuff they'll change in the new console generation.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
There's also Elder Scrolls Online. There is the possibility we'll 'never' see a new Elder Scrolls single player game again

Reason we haven't seen any more Warcraft, and probably never will, is because today RTS wouldn't sell for shit. Last Starcraft sold what, 2 million? Laughable. And the only reason they made it is because they thought at the time the SC2 e-sport community will keep growing forever and they'd make a bundle. Which proved a pipe dream. I wouldn't be surprised if they go all Titan on LotV's ass.

But there's no way Zenimax will miss a chance for potentionally (very likely) another 20 million uberhit. Open-world games, especially RPGs, are the shit today and they're gonna be milked till they're dry. There will absolutely be another singleplayer TOS and probably even two.

Glaurung

Liberal's alt
Shitposter
There's also Elder Scrolls Online. There is the possibility we'll 'never' see a new Elder Scrolls single player game again if they pull a Blizzard and decide that the next stories, plus Elsweyr and Black Marsh, will continue through their MMO. Not really sure about that as ESO obviously isn't the monster that WoW is. Still, WC3 was an enormous success and that didn't stopped Blizz from throwing the series in the drawer for what's now been 13 years.
Elder Scrolls Online is not terribly successful, it's more likely that this MMO will follow Bioware's Old Republic Online route and switch to free-to-play, before dying altogether.

Besides, there's plenty of rumors and vague statements about a proper sequel to Skyrim being set in the Black Marsh and expected for 2016. The Elder Scrolls VI: Eye of Argonia?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I said last Starcraft - HotS. They sold 1,1 in the first 48 hours. Maybe 2 mil are too low. Fine, I'll give you 3 million up until now. Doesn't make any difference whatsoever for a leviathan like Blizzard.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There's also Elder Scrolls Online. There is the possibility we'll 'never' see a new Elder Scrolls single player game again if they pull a Blizzard and decide that the next stories, plus Elsweyr and Black Marsh, will continue through their MMO. Not really sure about that as ESO obviously isn't the monster that WoW is. Still, WC3 was an enormous success and that didn't stopped Blizz from throwing the series in the drawer for what's now been 13 years.

ESO was specifically set in the setting's past so future games in the main series can continue with new stories, without the MMO having any impact on the lore.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I will NEVER EVER play any of that fucking shit "action game!!!11" garbage from BioWare/Bethesda. Period.

I have standards.

Your loss not playing the best RPG since Alpha Protocol.

Glaurung

Liberal's alt
Shitposter
In before "I don't need to play it to know it's shit". Eh, do as you like, but IMO this only applies to THI4F and other stupid stuff like Arcania.
It doesn't even apply to stupid stuff. You haven't played the game, you don't know whether it is good or bad. The most you can legitimately say about a game you've never played is "promo materials and user feedback left me unexcited to try it". Since we're talking about a game and not a movie or a book, the only experience that qualifies as an attempt to determine the game's quality is your own self playing the game, not watching someone else play it or reading 500+ forum threads.

But since we're on the RPGCodex, expect 1.5k butthurt drama queens beating their chest and croaking "I am awesome because I haven't played X and ignored Y".

Unwanted

Mr Fantastic

Andhaira
Andhaira
Skyrim was definite incline for the series. The only thing Morrowing IMO has on it was the exotic flaura and fauna and the soundtrack. Skyrim's soundtrack is epic, but lacks the depth of Morrowinds.

I know this might sound like blasphemy, but people neeed to look past the blind Bethesda hatred and judge the game on it's own merits. I too was put off by the stupidity of Oblivion, and when I heard Skyrim was doing away with attributes and skills altogether. However, the perk system is deeper than the skill system in Morrowind and Oblivion, it's much more and RPG now. Much of the level scaling retardedness of Oblivion is also gone. Furthermore, the game is very well polished, there is so much to do and you are not required to do it all.

Yes there are still typical TES oddities and stupidity, like sneaking like a retard to push up the sneak skill and jumping around to raise athletics, and the forced story of being the uber special dragonborn shoved down your throat. But Skyrim is a definite incline.

And being a vampire is finally fun.

Lhynn

Arcane
Skyrim was definite incline for the series. The only thing Morrowing IMO has on it was the exotic flaura and fauna and the soundtrack. Skyrim's soundtrack is epic, but lacks the depth of Morrowinds.

I know this might sound like blasphemy, but people neeed to look past the blind Bethesda hatred and judge the game on it's own merits. I too was put off by the stupidity of Oblivion, and when I heard Skyrim was doing away with attributes and skills altogether. However, the perk system is deeper than the skill system in Morrowind and Oblivion, it's much more and RPG now. Much of the level scaling retardedness of Oblivion is also gone. Furthermore, the game is very well polished, there is so much to do and you are not required to do it all.

Yes there are still typical TES oddities and stupidity, like sneaking like a retard to push up the sneak skill and jumping around to raise athletics, and the forced story of being the uber special dragonborn shoved down your throat. But Skyrim is a definite incline.

And being a vampire is finally fun.
You need to be less retarded.

hell bovine

Arcane
It's the complete opposite, the Elder Scrolls are actual games, like it or not, while Bioware stuff is more and more looking like a Telltale take on RPGs with long ass breaks and expositions. Their romance agenda is also starting to hurt them even for normal people outside of the Codexian greenhouse dome, as more and more are ridiculing and mocking their atrocious dialogues and sex scenes. DA3 is for all intents and purposes a game much more cringeworthy than even Oblivion was, for the average gamer. Just browse around a couple of videos showing Oblivion's stupid dialogues and then DA3's romance scenes and look at their comments.

At this point I definitely respect Bethesda much much more than Bioware. Even at their worst, they are at least trying. Bio games should have their threads moved to public library (as we lack a section for actual fanfics) or straight to retardo land.
I'd be careful trying to estimate whether the romances influence the sales negatively or positively based on video comment. It's the basic statistics problem: the answer is depending on the group you choose. Codex is definitely a skewed sample group, for example. What does "average gamer" even mean nowadays? Bioware have definitely lost some people due cheesy/creepy romances, but they have attracted players too; those who play the game to experience those cheesy/creepy romances. Books like 50 shades and Twilight sold in millions for a reason.

Skyrim bored the shit out of me honestly but I have to grudgingly admire Bethesda sticking to their guns on stuff like non-voiced protagonist and tons of lore. I thought the time skip was pretty well-handled too and really freshened up a fairly stagnant universe. It's still fairly dumb shit but at least Bethesda is making games not dating sims.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Skyrim is a definite incline.

Uhh nope

Oh, wait, you mean it's incline compared to Oblivion?

:hmmm:

You should get back to playing some real games. I guess next you'll start arguing that "Maan, Twilight: Breaking Dawn is such incline..... compared to Twilight: New Moon". Are you also interested in which poop tastes the best?

Glaurung

Liberal's alt
Shitposter
Uhh nope

Oh, wait, you mean it's incline compared to Oblivion?

You should get back to playing some real games. I guess next you'll start arguing that "Maan, Twilight: Breaking Dawn is such incline..... compared to Twilight: New Moon". Are you also interested in which poop tastes the best?
It's incline in the sense of being fun to play and having a lot of good stuff in it, despite being affected by consoletard restrictions. Get your head out of your ass, anyone who enjoyed playing Morrowind will also enjoy Skyrim, the two games are essentially similar. Nobody is impressed with your edginess.

Overly linear dungeons and too few skills are the two biggest issues I can think of. Oh, and small cities, which is a byproduct of being released for XCOCKS and PT. Even some of the dungeons are divided into two or three cells, which would be entirely unnecessary even with 2011 PC resources.

Skyrim doesn't have Athletics. You've never actually played the game, have you?

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So what is actually your point? That Skyrim is better than Oblivion? I can't think of anyone who would disagree to that. I had my fair share of fun with TESV too. But it still is way worse than Morrowind, and I don't see Bethesda going back to the good ol' days. Because kids these days (u know, those with the big parent's wallet) complain about completely different shit than we crpg fans do. The biggest flaw Skyrim had in my opinion was that it genuinely doubted my intellect. Quest compass here, unkillable quest persons there (hell, I couldn't even smack children!), no free experimenting with spells, emergency exits in every single dungeon, dragons and epic stuff every 10 minutes in case my attention was lost,...
I can live with less armor parts, utterly broken lockpicking systems, bland npcs and the likes, but this is just plain insulting. Also this is probably what made Skyrim popular amongst the casual gamers. Any chance bethesta ditches all that to have the next TES cater our needs? I sincerely doubt.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The Bethesda audience (and Bioware too):

Josh Sawyer said:
during one of the usability test sessions for F:NV, i watched a player repeatedly die in the same spot performing the same series of actions over and over again. he would scope something at a distance and kill it. killing it would reveal a deathclaw behind it, really clearly visible in the middle of the day. either he would not register that the deathclaw was there or he was simply ignoring it as he moved toward the chest that he had been scoping at a distance. as he approached the chest, he would become transfixed on it and look down while the deathclaw charged him. he opened the chest, looted it, closed it, looked up, and was immediately killed by a single swipe from the deathclaw. i checked the survey he filled out and he listed almost every high-profile RPG made in the 5-10 years prior.

then i watched him reload and perform the same series of actions three more times.

Josh Sawyer said:
my expectation really was that players would test the boundaries of northern and eastern routes and either find a way through or make a strategic decision to follow the marker. what i actually saw in the released game was an unending stream of people who would die against deathclaws, cazadores, or super mutants, reload the game, and make the same attempt again in the exact same way. no variation in approach or selected gear, no use of chems or other consumables to raise their stats, no additional scouting for a better view of what was ahead. they would just repeatedly do the exact same thing and die again in the exact same way and eventually get furious.

They hafta make games for their audience you see.

Nas92

Augur
The only thing Skyrim improved was making the world not completely unnatural plastic and shitty like it was in Oblivion.

Couldn't the first guy have been trying to stealth? O_o
That's what I thought of too. Or maybe he was trying to see if he could run away from the deathclaw after quickly looting the chest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom