Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Impire (Dungeon Keeper clone)

Psquit

Arcane
Funny enough Warlock runs just fine on my junker XP system even though the game doesn't even technically support XP. And don't insult my desire for Royal Adviser guy DLC!

IT SHOULD BE FREE an ADDED In a UPDATE!!

Psquit

Arcane
Scynix
iconGames.png
15 Feb 2013 @ 8:25am
Publicado originalmente por Metro:
Not sure how I'm 'spewing bile' or acting childish... maybe you need to reread my actual post before you soldier to the defense of the developers.​

I'm defending acting like you're an adult. I don't care what the developers do, you aren't the developers. You don't have to act like them just because they did.

That's literally the definition of spewing bile. You're being rude because someone else was rude. You can get your point across without being rude.
+10 paragon points. Where do they find these guys...

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Jesus fucking christ J_C, you pre-order Dungeon Siege 3 and now this...

I also pre-ordered Dungeon Siege 3... :(

Although I did so blindly as I never bothered to follow it's development, check out trailers or even look at gameplay videos. I also ragequit the game at the end of Act 1.

Psquit

Arcane
Jesus fucking christ J_C, you pre-order Dungeon Siege 3 and now this...

I also pre-ordered Dungeon Siege 3... :(

Although I did so blindly as I never bothered to follow it's development, check out trailers or even look at gameplay videos. I also ragequit the game at the end of Act 1.

i finish that game with a friend, the final boss was shit.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Meh, I enjoyed DS1 and 2. One day an email appeared in my inbox advertising the game, so I decided to pre-order it based on the fact that I thought the previous games were decent hack 'n slash titles, if a bit flawed. I didn't really expect them to change up the entire game's formula. If it didn't say DS3 on the box I would have thought the retailer sent me the wrong game by accident.

Psquit

Arcane
Funny enough Warlock runs just fine on my junker XP system even though the game doesn't even technically support XP. And don't insult my desire for Royal Adviser guy DLC!

But how's Royal Adviser VA guy going to make a living?!?!

he can voice act other games? his voice is cool im sure he will be fine.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity

at the very worst he can double shir Shean Connery.

Psquit

Arcane

at the very worst he can double shir Shean Connery.

the guy is no tony jay but he can voice... future elder scroll games lol.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I've tried out the game at last and run through the first mission. The dungeon management part seems shallow, and the graphics is nothing great, but it is good for what it is. But I don't get why people bash the game just because it has lots of micromanagement. This is not a pure Dungeon Keeper clone, it has RTS elements, that's why you have to move and giver orders to them. This is how RTS games works.

The delayed mouse movement sucks, but I always move the screen with the arrow or WASD keys anyway, so that's not a big problem for me.

Cool name

Arcane
I did play through the first mission and it is not that bad. It is not as fun as Dungeon Keeper, sure, but it is not a terribad game. Maybe I will change my opinion down the line but so far it is alright. It is neither great nor awful. The 'humor' does feel pretty forced most of the time and it does seem down the line I will be forced to 'evolve' my cute little infernal lord. :( I would prefer to let him continue to be an Imp.

And the micromanagement is not that bad. Anyone who does call Impire 'micromanagement hell' should go play Evil Genius or Space Colony. :eek:

The only real problem I do have with the game is that my priests do not seem to always heal my warriors in battle: A warrior may be low on health and the priest does keep spaming magic attacks to the foes instead. Does anyone know why is that? I would have cleared the first boss with no casualties on very hard if it were not by that. The game could do with better explanation of the mechanics.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It is pretty bad. And worse than evil genius when it comes to micromanagement imo.

I think the best analogy for the game is that it's an RTS for mothers. Not in the sense that it's necessarily the most casual, but in the sense that you have to micromanage your troops as if they were 5 year old. You have to make sure they have friends by putting them into squads, you have to make sure to tell them to eat, and you have to drive them around everywhere with your teleport spell. And all that to make them fight, and in fights you can barely command them at all, except for the standard attackmove. It's a lot of needless micromanagement for basically no reward.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It is pretty bad. And worse than evil genius when it comes to micromanagement imo.

I think the best analogy for the game is that it's an RTS for mothers. Not in the sense that it's necessarily the most casual, but in the sense that you have to micromanage your troops as if they were 5 year old. You have to make sure they have friends by putting them into squads, you have to make sure to tell them to eat, and you have to drive them around everywhere with your teleport spell. And all that to make them fight, and in fights you can barely command them at all, except for the standard attackmove. It's a lot of needless micromanagement for basically no reward.
Do you also hate that you have to order your units to move and attack in Starcraft? Because I feel that complaining about having to move your units and tell them to eat in Impire is the same thing. It is an RTS, if they would everything by themselves, it would be a different genre, Dungeon Sims.

Let me repeat myself. This is an RTS. You build your base, you collect resources (mushrooms), build units and command them. What's wrong with this formula? It worked for the genre for decades. NO, this is not Dungeon Keeper, so don't expect to work like that just because both games has dungeons.

EG

Nullified
You didn't have to tell them to eat in Dungeon Keeper. They had even that slight amount of artificial intelligence.

Mind, you didn't have to tell harvesters to gather a harvest, then return it, in C&C.

So, no. I'm going with "It isn't the same thing, J_C."

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Do you also hate that you have to order your units to move and attack in Starcraft? Because I feel that complaining about having to move your units and tell them to eat in Impire is the same thing. It is an RTS, if they would everything by themselves, it would be a different genre, Dungeon Sims.

Let me repeat myself. This is an RTS. You build your base, you collect resources (mushrooms), build units and command them. What's wrong with this formula? It worked for the genre for decades. NO, this is not Dungeon Keeper, so don't expect to work like that just because both games has dungeons.

So you're saying it's not a shitty DK-clone, it's just a very bland RTS?

UPGRADE

Cool name

Arcane
You didn't have to tell them to eat in Dungeon Keeper. They had even that slight amount of artificial intelligence.

Actually I did have to. :oops:

I did only pay my minions for as long as I did need them research stuff. Then I would lock them all in a room and throw chicks at them so that they would not starve. When the enemy did come I would throw them all in their midst while locking all doors out of the area so that they could not walk to my treasure room. Then I would cast the survivors back in the room, and do the same with the replacements.

Only Skeletons, Imps, and, I believe, Ghosts were left to live freely in levels without infinite gold. :P

Mind, you didn't have to tell harvesters to gather a harvest, then return it, in C&C.

Neither do you in Impire. All the micromanagement so far does come down to telling my forces to eat and telling my forces what to attack. And, well, micro the battles to have wounded groups with agro run in circles while they heal so that the enemy can't hit them while the ranged group and the boss do pelt them with spells and stuff. Nothing too complex.

EG

Nullified
I did only pay my minions for as long as I did need them research stuff. Then I would lock them all in a room and throw chicks at them so that they would not starve. When the enemy did come I would throw them all in their midst while locking all doors out of the area so that they could not walk to my treasure room. Then I would cast the survivors back in the room, and do the same with the replacements.

Only Skeletons, Imps, and, I believe, Ghosts were left to live freely in levels without infinite gold. :P
:lol: Awesome.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Well, just the fact that you have to manually order your troops to eat makes this game pretty retarded.

Mortmal

Arcane

Good for what it is ? People really should stop saying that, what does it means ? If you define it like a steaming pile of shit, yes its good for what it is. The first RTS was dune, i remember that you clicked once on the harvester and they were going back and forth automatically from spice field to the base, same for the peons in warcraft, lumbering mining coming back and forth to the base. Impire doesnt even do that right, you have to manually collect by sending outside for small amounts each fucking time.

So i am complianing about having to click on them and send them to attacK ? Well in those decade old games, i used to click on the units, units easily selectable on the map, and they do attack , instantly, without delay , i could also pull part healer from the squad .A fun thing was in most rts healer were healing in combat, in impire they dont . In impire they take their time to attack , ignore objects, and you have to send they back and forth after each encounters to eat. How would you like dawn of war 2, if you had to send the tyranid to feed back to base every time?
Its not dungeon keeper indeed, not anywhere near as good and fun, you wont tell stories about it decades later, and as a RTS its inferior to pretty much anything i played, in fact i cant remember worse.

Also wait for the corrupted saves, plenty of people with that bug. For me its a serious contender for worst of 2013.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I am glad Royal Adviser guy did not sully himself with this (although he did do Defenders of Ardania which was fucking awful).

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane

Actually I did have to. :oops:

Cool story bro. Creatures without payment would get angry, fight among themselves and rebel leaving your dungeon without you being able to control them. And yes, they can and will destroy doors no problem.

Also, both skeletons and ghosts required food and pay checks in DK1.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
The first RTS was dune, i remember that you clicked once on the harvester and they were going back and forth automatically from spice field to the base, same for the peons in warcraft, lumbering mining coming back and forth to the base. Impire doesnt even do that right, you have to manually collect by sending outside for small amounts each fucking time.
Actually the imps who don't have anything assigned to them collect the resources automatically.

So i am complianing about having to click on them and send them to attacK ? Well in those decade old games, i used to click on the units, units easily selectable on the map, and they do attack , instantly, without delay , i could also pull part healer from the squad .A fun thing was in most rts healer were healing in combat, in impire they dont . In impire they take their time to attack , ignore objects, and you have to send they back and forth after each encounters to eat. How would you like dawn of war 2, if you had to send the tyranid to feed back to base every time?
There is valid criticism in there, the units are not easily selectable, and the healer doesn't just heals, but attacks. But you can select the squad quickly, with the 1-5 keys. I didn't see that they don't respond to attack commands. AndI still don't get what's so annoying in sending the troops to eat. All you have to do is right click on the kitchen icon, and in the radial menu select eat. It takes a second. And it's not that you can have too many units (only 5 squads). If you can't handle this little micromanagement, I can't see how did you play other RTS games.

Its not dungeon keeper indeed, not anywhere near as good and fun, you wont tell stories about it decades later, and as a RTS its inferior to pretty much anything i played, in fact i cant remember worse. For me its a serious contender for worst of 2013.
Really? :lol: It's the worst? You didn't play much RTS in the last decades, do you?

And I've never said that it is nearly as fun as DK. It is not, and it won't become a classic ever. But saying that the game is the worst RTS ever just because you have to micromanage a little is stupid.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Jesus, Matt, man the fuck up. I understand you're a positive guy and you want very much for all games to be at least decent . But sometimes, sometimes you just have to look in the mirror and ask yourself a question: "why do I have shit smeared all across my mouth?"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom