Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm Looking Forward to Skyrim

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DraQ said:
In what way was it awful? In that it required skill to succeed at casting spells?

That's just a slap in the face on top of the assrape that the system already is. Not only is natural spellcasting grossly inefficient, you can also fail it as well. Where do I sign up? :thumbsup:

In that it had 3s casting delay disallowing mindless fireball spam?

Enchant.

(I thought you frowned upon MG enchantments, so why would you want MG spellcasting?)

I have no idea what MG stands for. Use full words, you finished middle school after all.

In that it required *gasp* free hands to use magic gestures?

I'm neutral on that.

In that it used far more diverse collection of effects?

Nothing to do with the SYSTEM.

In that it allowed to daisy-chain effects in a single spell making combinations of effects more worthwhile and not resulting spellbook clutter?

Other than weakness there was little else you couldn't daisy chain in Oblivion.

In that there wasn't miraculous "can't cast" - "can spam" transition at arbitrary levels?

Don't talk to me about spamming when Morrowind's enchant system lets you fire off hundreds of fireballs at virtually no cost to you. Disallowing mindless fireball spam. :lol: I actually laughed out loud when you said that earlier.

In that it was visually more impressive and actually displaying each of the effects used in casting and projectile animations?

Visual effects have nothing to do with the spellcasting system. Also, visuals were shit in both Oblivion and Morrowind. You find morrowind more visually impressive. I don't. I find it the exact same shit art direction wise.

In that it allowed deletion of unwanted spells?
Interface has nothing to do with the spell system.
In that it allowed switching between adjacent spells without having them explicitly hotkeyed?
Interface has nothing to do with the spellcasting system.

Anyway, the reason why Oblivion's spellcasting is superior:

1. Magicka regeneration means that you can last as a natural spellcaster without having to buy/make potions or cheese by draining all your intelligence to recharge it.
2. Balance. No more enchant machinegun rocket launchers. Staffs in Oblivion are still overpowered but overall Oblivion is not the ridiculously shit "enchant renders all magic domains useless" clusterfuck that morrowind was. Natural spellcasting is not just viable but actually thriving because most of the effects have to be cast on their own.
3. If the "arbitrary" effect lock system you complain about earlier was in Morrowind it would not make the spell domains as fucking useless as they are because a character would need to reach a certain level in that skill before he could use it for enchanting. As it stands, in morrowind you can buy any effect and have access to it instantly.
4. Don't really consider it magic but alchemy balance has been vastly improved as well with the removal of billion stat potions. A wider variety of potions become more useful as 'tards with no skill in anything can no longer just enchant an item and have it cast whatever they want.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Blackadder said:
Well, are they giving Skyrim to Obsidian to do?

Choke on a barbed elephant dick for even suggesting this stupidity.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Blackadder said:
Mastermind said:
Blackadder said:
Well, are they giving Skyrim to Obsidian to do?

Choke on a barbed elephant dick for even suggesting this stupidity.

It was a question, not a suggestion. Perhaps there is a community college course somewhere nearby..?

It was a rhetorical question implying it would be a good idea. Ergo, it was a suggestion.

Dantus12

Educated
Will I buy the game-Yes
Will I play-Yes.
Why?
I know one thing, I will not run down a linear corridor in this game with the feeling that a movie director just yelled behind my back:

Aaaand Action!
Log:

Entering combat sequence 24
first wave of enemies, turn left, second wave, cutscene, third wave press some button -exit combat cell.

My Breton will do fine, I will lie to my self that He knows better about the lore and is there to educate the inhabitants of Skyrim on the historical events of the past.

There will be books, there will be space , and no level scaling, I will search for Maiq the Liar or someone similar.

Unless I'm blessed as usually with games and the Dragons are nothing more than Cliff racers. :cry:

Than I'm going to rage and rant, and write profanities about the game all over the internet.

Joke aside, the dumbed down factor remains to be seen in practice. Maybe the path of the way shrines from Oblivion will play some role and the game reflects with it's lore on the previous games.
Maybe the pilgrimage quest of Oblivion and Uriel Septim as the descendant of Talos , together with Dovakhiin are nicely wrapped in a NV style quest line,with not so clearly defined guild and race implementation.
Would be nice to see some sort of hostility based on the PC race, knowing the events of Skyrim it could be possible.
I'm a desperate optimist I know.

----------------------------

MasterMind said:

Weakness to Magicka does stack with other weaknesses (which I assume is what "daisy-chain" means)

Don't talk to me about spamming when Morrowind's enchant system lets you fire off hundreds of fireballs at virtually no cost to you. Disallowing mindless fireball spam. I actually laughed out loud when you said that earlier.

That 7 minute speedrun on youtube has the player spam a thousand shockbolts at Dagoth Ur to finish the first round before he even finishes speaking. I think those were scrolls, but it's still the same thing (scrolls = one-use enchanted items).

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Clockwork Knight said:
MasterMind said:

Weakness to Magicka does stack with other weaknesses (which I assume is what "daisy-chain" means)

I think he meant putting multiple effects in the same spell.

From what I remember:

Morrowind:
100% weakness to magicka
100 damage life

Oblivion
100% weakness to magicka
100 damage life

So in oblivion you had to cast the weakness and the effect on separate spells because the weakness would not affect the subsequent effects in the same spell.

Didn't it work the other way around? Effects ran from bottom to top, meaning you had to put Weakness to X on last place.

edit: grah

Weakness to Fire increases by M% the damage inflicted on the target with subsequent Fire Damage attacks; the effect lasts for D seconds. For example, a target with Weakness to Fire 50% active will suffer 9 points of damage from a Flare spell, instead of the usual 6 points. The Weakness effect must already be active before the Damage effect; the increased damage will not occur if the Weakness and Damage effect are combined into a single spell.

edit 2: Hm, found something

In the original release of the game, a Weakness to Magic spell would amplify all effects of a spell, as long as the spell contained just one negative effect. This could be exploited to create chains of stacking spells that you could cast on yourself to get very cheap but powerful enhancements.

Note: This has been corrected by the Oblivion 1.1.511 patch.

DraQ

Arcane
Gord said:
The stat exploits however are ridiculous (you even admit that they may have to be fixed, which is what happened in Oblivion).
No, this isn't what happened in oblivion.

What happened in oblivion was complete nerf of stat system in general so that attributes stopped affecting most of the things they did.

There was also somewhat half-assed limitation of potion effects active at once, which wasn't that bad idea, although a very arbitrary and thus shitty one (if it was based on endurance, for example, it would be cool), too bad premade restore magicka/health/fatigue potions were all instantaneous, so it did nothing to prevent healing potion spam in combat and wouldn't prevent exponential alchemy either if only the stat system wasn't broken by bethesda.

You couldn't play a pure mage without relying on enchantments or spamming potions, for an instance.
No, *you* couldn't.
*I* could and very much can.
Non-Altmer and non-Breton mage too, so I could make it even more powerful and much more easier.

You had to conserve magicka and fine tune your spells, but you could be pretty fucking powerful as a mage, while still retaining limitations of very limited magicka pool and slow casting.

Offset by spamming enchanted items instead...
Which you could choose not to do opting for CE boosts instead.
I'm not defending cast-when-used spam, but the solution to it is introducing casting delay for enchanted items, not eliminating cast-when-used altogether and replacing them with rocket launcher staves and spellcasting spam.

Bethesda had everything ass backwards when 'improving' TES with oblivious.

In that it required *gasp* free hands to use magic gestures?
You can easily and quickly change between weapons by the press of a button, no issue either way.
You didn't even try playing a caster in Morrowind, I see.

Switching between different weapons and spells was pretty much instantaneous, but switching between fighting and casting modes is slow and interruptible, meaning stun and death when done without care during combat.

In that it used far more diverse collection of effects?[/quote]
It did have more, yes, but not necessarily all of them useful.[/quote] Much more of them useful than in oblivious, in any case. And many of these got dropped.

Those that were less useful were mostly nerfed by disproportionally high cost not inherently useless, with notable exception of cure paralysis.

In that it allowed to daisy-chain effects in a single spell making combinations of effects more worthwhile and not resulting spellbook clutter?
Hm, maybe I don't get what you try to say here, but you could build spells with multiple effects in oblivion, too.
But you couldn't make those effects affect each other within spell - you either had to cast the same spell multiple times, possibly with great waste of magicka if each of the subsequent effects relied on the previous ones, or use separate spells, which was more economical.

I'm not saying that there was no possibility in creating multiple effect spells. I'm saying there rarely was a reason to do so in oblivious, while in Morrowind it easily accounted for more than a half of spellcaster's potential.

In Morrowind a well designed spell was on its own a well orchestrated arcane attack plan consisting of magical effects striking in precisely determined sequence. In oblivious it was never more than a disordered horde of effects striking all at once.

In that it was visually more impressive and actually displaying each of the effects used in casting and projectile animations?
Subjective/taste
No, it's not subjective/taste.
It is better to be able to see if someone casts a fireball or lightning bolt at you, and not just for purely aesthetic reasons.
If so, it's also better if you can see a difference between fire mixed with lightning and pure fireball, or between paralysing and normal frostbolt.

In that it allowed deletion of unwanted spells?
Oblivion should have had this out of the box, but to quote you again: can be easily fixed by a mod
No, not so easily.

Before such a mod could be made someone had to make OBSE which is special utility designed specifically to work around limitations of oblivious, allowing for some crazy scripting.

The changes to Morrowind I've mentioned are simple to make using functionality that's already there. There are mods implementing such changes and they don't need MWSE.

Something that can be easily fixed from the editor level, is just sloppily designed minor aspect of a mechanics, an oversight or some sloppily made content.
Something that can't be fixed without essentially hacking the executable reflect serious issue with core design.
In that it allowed switching between adjacent spells without having them explicitly hotkeyed?
Only useful if you want to switch to the one adjacent.
Useful. Period.

If you keep your spellbook relatively uncluttered and prefix your spells or otherwise name them in a way that groups spells used in similar circumstances or in sequence together you can easily have about 50 spells "hotkeyed" under 9 buttons. In oblivious you can have 8 under 8 and additionally, the menu is a clusterfuck, so not only do you have to go to menu much more often, but you als have to spend there a lot of time trying to get around - now remember what I said about daisy-chaining effects meaning that if you want to do anything something interesting, you can ousually reasonably do it with a single casting in Morrowind but either several different spells in oblivious, or a single spell re-cast several times at much greater cost.

Clusterfuck.

Overall I simply found Oblivions system to work better, as you could play a mage relying on, well, magic
No. You could play mage relying on spamming fireballs, while running backwards or doing simplistic weakness daisychain while running backwards.

In Morrowind you could play mage relying on magic - devising custom, sometimes very specialized spells, then surveying surroundings and applying those spells for maximum effect.

Also it could compete with simply using an (enchanted) weapon, wich was vastly superior in Morrowind.
Depends. Enchanted weapon was better if you wanted to run around slashing stuff dead - warrior-style.

Mage was better if you wanted to press a button and have something awesome happen, except you first had to work hard designing this 'awesome'.

DraQ

Arcane
Mastermind said:
DraQ said:
In what way was it awful? In that it required skill to succeed at casting spells?

That's just a slap in the face on top of the assrape that the system already is. Not only is natural spellcasting grossly inefficient, you can also fail it as well. Where do I sign up? Herp derp I fail at RPGs
I only wish they had the decency to put some sort of skill-dependent failure or maybe magnitude scaler on enchanted items as well.
:smug:

Enchant.

(I thought you frowned upon MG enchantments, so why would you want MG spellcasting?)

I have no idea what MG stands for. Use full words, you finished middle school after all.
Enchant.
MG is machinegun, you ignorant dolt. What's next? RPG?
:decline:

In that it used far more diverse collection of effects?

Nothing to do with the SYSTEM.
Well, how magic works is part of the system and spell effects are how magic works.

Learn to read. There was no point to that.

In that there wasn't miraculous "can't cast" - "can spam" transition at arbitrary levels?

Don't talk to me about spamming when Morrowind's enchant system lets you fire off hundreds of fireballs at virtually no cost to you. Disallowing mindless fireball spam.
Ok. Can you say anything other than "ENCHANTMENT!"?
:roll: :M

:lol: I actually laughed out loud when you said that earlier.
"Poznać głupiego po śmiechu jego." :smug:

Visual effects have nothing to do with the spellcasting system. Also, visuals were shit in both Oblivion and Morrowind. You find morrowind more visually impressive. I don't. I find it the exact same shit art direction wise.
Again, reread. The point is being informative and having visuals reflect what's happening.
Or just keep saying "enchantment" - you seem good at it.

Anyway, the reason why Popamole cover system is superior:

1. Health regeneration means that you can last as a CQB combatant without having to buy/find medkits or cheese by using cheats to recharge it.

2. Balance. No more enchant machinegun rocket launchers. Staffs in Oblivion are still overpowered but overall Oblivion is not the ridiculously shit "enchant renders all magic domains useless" clusterfuck that morrowind was. Natural spellcasting is not just viable but actually thriving because most of the effects have to be cast on their own.
A piece of advice - you mention balance in the context of a game where you can make 100% chameleon suit and cheese to your heart content, or where you can FIND damage reflect items exceeding 100% when used together; I fuck your skull.
Sideways.
'k?
:)

Also, removing stuff doesn't count as fixing it. Enchant system balance could be fixed in astonishingly simple manner - drain charge to zero in any item not currently equipped, introduce casting delay, increase casting cost at max skill. Besides, enchant system doesn't influence viability of natural spellcasting.

3. If the "arbitrary" effect lock system you complain about earlier was in Morrowind it would not make the spell domains as fucking useless as they are because a character would need to reach a certain level in that skill before he could use it for enchanting. As it stands, in morrowind you can buy any effect and have access to it instantly.
Trololo.
How about keeping current imbalanced charge management (making enchanted items pretty desirable), but calculating success chance in the same manner as if it was a naturally cast spell?
No imba, but no stupid effect lock. Enchant still desirable.
Or making swapping enchanted items useless by draining charges down to 0 when they are unequipped.

4. Don't really consider it magic but alchemy balance has been vastly improved as well with the removal of billion stat potions.
That has been achieved by completely derping stat system, not improving alchemy which was actually made much derper for reasons detailed in my previous post.
If they removed stats altogether I guess balance would improve even more.

Oh, wait, you mentioned balance *SKULLFUCK*.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
DraQ said:
I only wish they had the decency to put some sort of skill-dependent failure or maybe magnitude scaler on enchanted items as well.

derp

Spellcasting failure should occur when someone interrupts your spell (which should be easy to do), not because you lose your concentration at a poorly selected arbitrary rate.

Enchant.

No wonder I didn't get it. Why would I frown on machinegun enchantments? combat in morrowind was 80% mg enchantments for me. :smug:

ffs, you know I love exploits.

Well, how magic works is part of the system and spell effects are how magic works.

No, spell effects are what magic do. How it works is a different thing.

Sure there was. Some of the multi-effect spells I used:

weakness to magicka/weakness to fire/soul trap/1 sec paralysis - knock them down so they're easy prey for your staff, and get free ammunition for it.

fortify speed/feather/invisibility - used it to zip around the map at breakneck speeds unmolested.

absorb mana + any offensive spell - cheaper spell

drain health + damage spell - extra 100+ weakness bonus damage for very cheap.

damage spell + invisibility - great for attacking while under invisibility and disappearing instantly so target can't retaliate

There are other potent combos if you choose to larp and avoid damage/absorption.

Why? You're the one sucking the flaccid cock that is morrowind's spellcasting. enchantment is 90% of the reason why it's abysmal instead of just shit like it would be otherwise.

Again, reread. The point is being informative and having visuals reflect what's happening.

Some morrowind spells shared effects too. I don't remember oblivion being particularly worse about it actually. Furthermore, neither game is so difficult that it requires on the fly analysis of incoming projectiles and application of arcane defenses.

1. Health regeneration means that you can last as a CQB combatant without having to buy/find medkits or cheese by using cheats to recharge it.

Shitty analogy. Morrowind's magicka supply was made so you had to rest/pot to play as a mage for any extended length of time. Enchant/melee builds could plow through a dungeon so much faster that the only justification for playing a natural spellcaster is that you like larping. But we already knew that. :smug:

A piece of advice - you mention balance in the context of a game where you can make 100% chameleon suit

Unlike Morrowind. :smug:

and cheese to your heart content,

Morrowind had cheeese that allowed you to apply as many permanent CE enchantments as yourself as you want. Morrowind had cheese that allowed you to jack up your stats into oblivion. Morrowind allowed you to drain all your skills and train all of them to 100 for nothing other than the cost of draining your skills. You could walk out of balmora at level 50 with every skill you'll ever need maxed out. Oblivion still had the free training glitch but at least it had the decency to cap the number of skills you could train every level.

or where you can FIND damage reflect items exceeding 100% when used together; I fuck your skull.
Sideways.
'k?
:)

Morrowind was so easy you didn't need 100% reflect. :smug:

Also, you could get a similar effect by getting 100% sanctuary and an elemental shield spell in Morrowind.

Also, removing stuff doesn't count as fixing it.

Depending on the context it might. In this case it does.

Enchant system balance could be fixed in astonishingly simple manner - drain charge to zero in any item not currently equipped,

Lore rape. Also, hatched job fix.

introduce casting delay, increase casting cost at max skill.
Regardless of this, it doesn't change the fact that balance wise Oblivion is superior to morrowind. That it's not the best possible fix will never change that. I find morrowind more fun but that's because I like exploits and cheese.

Besides, enchant system doesn't influence viability of natural spellcasting.

No but it means you have to larp if you want to cast naturally because there's no justification for it.

Trololo.
How about keeping current imbalanced charge management (making enchanted items pretty desirable), but calculating success chance in the same manner as if it was a naturally cast spell?
No imba, but no stupid effect lock. Enchant still desirable.

Ring of DraQ assfucking
Fortify Destruction 70 points for 10 seconds.

+

Ring of Popamole
Weakness to magicka 100% over 40 feet
Absorb Health 100% over 40 feet

Also, why is effect lock stupid? It makes as much sense to need better skill to use more powerful effects as it does to need better skill to avoid spellcasting failure.

Or making swapping enchanted items useless by draining charges down to 0 when they are unequipped.

Derp.

That has been achieved by completely derping stat system

Not getting a billion attribute points = derp.

:lol:

not improving alchemy which was actually made much derper for reasons detailed in my previous post.

The alchemical system is the same except in oblivion you can make poison (massive :incline:) and a GM alchemist can make pots out of one ingredient. potion chugging limits are just common sense.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
DraQ said:
In Morrowind a well designed spell was on its own a well orchestrated arcane attack plan consisting of magical effects striking in precisely determined sequence.

Post 10 of these well orchestrated arcane attacks here so we can all laugh at you properly.

Varn

Educated
Clearly Morrowind owns Oblivion in every way possible. But I think the answer to this alchemy / enchanting debate is Morrowind + BTB's game improvements... I'm playing this at the moment and I'm struggling to make 1 restore health potion from saltrice mixed with various ingredients out of every 10 tries. Even when I succeed, my alchemy xp goes up by only about a couple of points Eg 22/100 to 24/100, and the skill is only at about 30. Training the skill is near impossible as the economy seems to be fixed, so there's not much cash around, Creeper and Talking Mudcrab don't buy stuff, and there's hardly any leet weapons off enemies until way later in the game.

So I don't see how I can exploit alchemy, at least until I get my skill up a bit which is taking a looong time. Presumably enchanting is the same, I understand all the exploits were nerfed in BTB's.

Yeah... so Morrowind + BTB's = win. It's far more enjoyable than vanilla Morrowind, which was broken in a number of ways but still 100 times better than Oblivion.

DraQ

Arcane
Mastermind said:
DraQ said:
Spellcasting failure should occur when someone interrupts your spell (which should be easy to do), not because you lose your concentration at a poorly selected arbitrary rate.
2afcqp2.jpg

So, magic is not a dangerous force not to be trifled with, is not difficult and complex ability, folks sitting in their towers for thousands of years ovulating their brains to understand and manipulate it better are just senile and getting right for the first time and ever after is trivial. :roll:
Indeed.

Enchant.

No wonder I didn't get it. Why would I frown on machinegun enchantments? combat in morrowind was 80% mg enchantments for me. :smug:
Well, I thought we've already agreed on you being a mouthbreathing retard, no need to remind me that.

ffs, you know I love exploits.
Like all mouthbreathers. Truly :monocle: individuals love discovering them, but consider actually using them below contempt, unless done for some very specific purposes - like doing a speedrun.
:obviously:

No, spell effects are what magic do. How it works is a different thing.
So how does magic work if it does nothing?

Sure there was. Some of the multi-effect spells I used:

weakness to magicka/weakness to fire/soul trap/1 sec paralysis - knock them down so they're easy prey for your staff, and get free ammunition for it.
Cute. Still, you'd have to cast it twice for full potential and it's not in any way better than sum of its parts, save for maybe casting time, which is very short in oblivious anyway - same applies to your other examples.

And paralysis is rather OP in oblivious, though it's the only thing where physical engine can actually become a gameplay factor - you can blast paralysed enemies around with AOE spells, too bad that there is rarely some pit or chasm around that would make it actually useful.

Why? You're the one sucking the flaccid cock that is morrowind's spellcasting. enchantment is 90% of the reason why it's abysmal instead of just shit like it would be otherwise.
So it's verified - you can't.

Some morrowind spells shared effects too. I don't remember oblivion being particularly worse about it actually.
No wonder if you just spammed ENCHANTMENT! like terminal case of ADHD. :roll:

The difference is quite substantial - if you combine multiple effects in oblivious, only one of them becomes spell animation, so a fireball, and multiple element effect may end up looking the same in oblivious, but readily distinguishable in Morrowind.

Furthermore, neither game is so difficult that it requires on the fly analysis of incoming projectiles and application of arcane defenses.
So why not just represent all spells as same generic glowing peashot?

It would save money for another 5' of voice overs by Jean-Luc Picard.

Maybe next they should give the smae generic body model to all races and replace their heads with same-looking generic malformed potatoes?
Oh wait, that's how they afforded the first 5'.

Excellent analogy. Morrowind's HP supply was made so you had to rest/pot to play as a fighter for any extended length of time. Cheese/exploit builds could plow through a dungeon so much faster that the only justification for playing normal character is that you like larping. But we already knew that. :smug:

Morrowind had cheeese that allowed you to apply as many permanent CE enchantments as yourself as you want. Morrowind had cheese that allowed you to jack up your stats into oblivion. Morrowind allowed you to drain all your skills and train all of them to 100 for nothing other than the cost of draining your skills. You could walk out of balmora at level 50 with every skill you'll ever need maxed out. Oblivion still had the free training glitch but at least it had the decency to cap the number of skills you could train every level.
The difference is that Morrowind didn't lose half of the gameplay under the pretext of balancing.

Rich, but exploitable to hell mechanics is excusable. The same mechanics castrated and cut down into a bloody stump for 'balance reasons' but still just as exploitable should end up with some fucker against the wall.

Morrowind was so easy you didn't need 100% reflect. :smug:
So was oblivious. You just had to build your character around skills you never used.

Also, you could get a similar effect by getting 100% sanctuary and an elemental shield spell in Morrowind.
Sanctuary was only applied as modifier and calculated (not actual) success chance could well lie outside 0-100% range. If someone with over 200% base chance to hit attacked you, 100% sanctuary made no difference.

Elmental shields were fucking nerfed to prevent that, but at least different from resist element+ shield of oblivion. Both effects are there already in game, why add another one that's just their sum?

Also, removing stuff doesn't count as fixing it.

Depending on the context it might. In this case it does.
So, removing imba stuff is fix? Ok, I hereby present:
-Fallout 2.0 - no called shots, everyone aimed for the eyes anyway
-Planescape Torment 2.0 - no intelligence and wisdom, as those stats were severely overpowered. More H&S combat thrown in to compensate for lack of gamebreaking dialogues. Subtitle: "Blood War".
-Baldur's Gate 2.0 - all AoE spells removed due to exploitability. Moving around during combat disabled for balance reasons (AI exploits), with the exception of walking towards the next target after the first one was slain.

Problem?
trollface_small.png

Enchant system balance could be fixed in astonishingly simple manner - drain charge to zero in any item not currently equipped,

Lore rape.
Like magical items that don't disappear when drained/or broken?

Befitting a dragon. :obviously:

introduce casting delay, increase casting cost at max skill.

Regardless of this, it doesn't change the fact that balance wise Oblivion is superior to morrowind.
It's best evidenced by the fact, that no matter which class you take, playing it according to the build is perfectly doable and offers similar amount of enjoyment, and there is absolutely no reason to pick exclusively magic build if you intend to just backstab stuff all the time.

Ring of DraQ assfucking
Fortify Destruction 70 points for 10 seconds.

+

Ring of Popamole
Weakness to magicka 100% over 40 feet
Absorb Health 100% over 40 feet
Absorb health is mysticism, Fortify spells are restoration.

Also, why is effect lock stupid? It makes as much sense to need better skill to use more powerful effects as it does to need better skill to avoid spellcasting failure.
Because it's arbitrary, because it's sharp division between can't try and 100% success rate, because it pretty much limits the skills to 1-5 scale, rather than 5-100 one.

That has been achieved by completely derping stat system

Not getting a billion attribute points = derp.
Making the attributes not count into calculations is derp indeed.

The alchemical system is the same except in oblivion you can make poison (massive :incline:)
You cannot fail and some tried-and-true recipes become harmful as you get better.

DERRRRP.

potion chugging limits are just common sense.
Not if you can just reopen the inventory for another dose of premade restore X potions. Also, not if it's arbitrary.

Mastermind said:
DraQ said:
In Morrowind a well designed spell was on its own a well orchestrated arcane attack plan consisting of magical effects striking in precisely determined sequence.

Post 10 of these well orchestrated arcane attacks here so we can all laugh at you properly.
1. Silence Stubborn Retard:
-Drain Willpower 100pt. for 1s
-Silence for Xs.

2. Stop Stubborn Retard From Posting:
Same as above, but replace silence with paralysis.

3. Delayed Permanently Stop Any Retard From Posting:
(all on touch/target)
- fortify fatigue (for 1s longer than the duration of other effects)
- damage strength
- damage willpower
- damage endurance
- damage agility

4. Stun:
(as above, a bit rough and unoptimized)
-weakness to magic 100 for 1s
- drain strength 50 for 1s
- drain willpower 50 for 1s
- drain agility 50 for 1s
- drain endurance 50 for 1s
- damage fatigue 100pt for 1s
- drain fatigue 100pt for several s.

5. Cleansing Flame (selective if inefficient vampire killer)
-Resist fire 100% for 1s on target AoE
-Fire damage any for any time on target AoE

Five off the top of my head not counting about dozen or so bsb-resistance piercers (in all shapes and forms, depending on actual offensive payload, but they are barely any more complex than your oblivious combos, except they do use ordering) any necromancer killers including dispel and offensive effects (order is crucial here), various combinations using calm, untested command+exclusion spell involving commanding an entire group, then dispeling one or some of its members (smaller radius) triggering infighting and, of course, multi-summons. Oblivious disallows multisummons, so that would be just cruel.
Summons or multisummons can also be hit with a spell effect containing buff or absorption, making them even more versatile.

Currently I'm trying to devise something using projectile-self duration trick (the thing that does soultrap glitch when it bugs out). Invisibility would work nicely for hit&run, but I'm thinking of something more complex.

Clockwork Knight said:
Varn said:

:thumbsup:

Draq doesn't consider removal of derpness to be fixing, but having a termite-ridden peg leg is better than keeping your gangrened paw.
No, I don't like BTB because it is jackhammer dentistry.
It does take care of the tooth, it does so admirably - I admit, but I'd rather suffer the toothache and still have my face intact.

Author is a jpg fan IIRC, so it is to be expected that he just doesn't grasp concept of freedom and fiddling around with possibilities in an RPG.

Gord

Arcane
Like all mouthbreathers. Truly :monocle: individuals love discovering them, but consider actually using them below contempt, unless done for some very specific purposes - like doing a speedrun.

Or unless you are daisy-chaining effects, to make a broken system at least remotely playable?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom