Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed I want to be an Urist - A community Dwarf Fortress LP

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
Thanks for letting me have my turn before you guys. I'll pick it up when Krash is done.

Krash

Arcane
They most certainly are. They have also mandated an update, and who am I to deny them?

Krash

Arcane
Hsark’s diary, 30th of Galena

The same nightmare again. All around me “Forgotten” dwarfs tantrum and murder each other with savage cruelty, while the remaining sane ones hide to survive. Normally I wouldn’t put much stock in dreams, but it felt so vividly real… almost as if it was a vision of the past. Or of the future?

23m66b5.jpg

More bodies to work the forges and mines. Azira, a friend of mine, was among the pack. Knowing she’s quite the capable lass, I sent her straight to the barracks.

smwnjc.jpg

Hsark’s diary, 13th of Limestone

Humans have come. They brought a shitload of stuff, which they undoubtedly want to trade for gold and gems. Good luck with that!

349fm01.jpg

Their leader warned me that some border towns have been burned and that there are probably deep goblins on the prowl close by. He’ll be safe here, with the vault of the mountain to cover his head.

Speaking of the buggers.

jl5hk0.jpg

They came hard and fast, just behind the caravan, a haughty elf leading the charge. Green Menace seems to refer both to cowardly goblin-scum and leave fondling frolickers! Luckily their archers missed Zulban, who was daydreaming on the bridge.

21npcpd.jpg

They enjoyed the welcoming embrace of our serrated disc traps. And so did the next batch. An elf led this squad too, an elf swordsman this time. Or a swordelf. Whatever. They also died.

256bqll.jpg

2irm248.jpg

By Ordir’s buttocks! While the goblins were dismembered into hauling-convenient chunks, their sneaky accomplices kidnapped a child! The dark elf masters must want flesh for unspeakable rituals! Erib’s mother was inconsolable.

(Funfact – DF elves eat other sentients they kill. How’s that for pansy tree worshippers?)

Hsark’s diary, 19th of Limestone

We’ve briely finished cleaning up the goblins and already another threat is here. I swear, it’s like monsters are drawn to this place.

oans6c.jpg

Dwarf engineering dealt with her nicely. You’d think a creature hundreds of years old would have more sense of preservation than to run straight into the entrance of a dwarf fort.

Hsark’s diary, 21st of Limestone

The Minotaur carried a big backpack with ill begotten gains. In between trash and baubles I found a worn old book titled the Negronomicon, written by the Urist McThule the dwarf. Never heard of him. I was about to give it to Kalin for safekeeping, when Oden Ingtakavuz, some nondescript bugger, offered to trade it for a few favors.

1o3j9l.jpg

Well, whaddaya know, suddenly Mafol Emuthnish is elected mayor, how convenient. I wonder who her husband is?

2db9vr7.jpg

That’s right! Can’t take the position myself of course, that would look bad, but I solved that problem well, didn’t I diary? No one could possibly suspect anything.

Yes, this is all a coincidence. P. cool nonetheless.

Hsark’s diary, 15th of Sandstone

A big dwarf caravan from The Green Standards was supposed to deliver metal, food and (most importantly) booze.

4ntko.jpg

I’m saying “was supposed to” because deep goblins disagreed.

Trying to buy time for their wagon buddies, the caravan guard fought a desperate rear guard action. Unfortunately their opponents weren’t only deep goblins.

90olr8.jpg

Rippling masses of tentacles and gaping, teeth brimming maws descended on the dwarfs. And there was nothing we could do to help them, only watch.

110xgtd.jpg

Although the dwarf guards cut pieces and chunks off the Prisoners of Ice, the latter didn’t even seem to care. (The pale gray chunks are prisoner of ice parts.) Soon the rear guard was a broken, bloody mess.

The traders scattered, and were cut down too. Sole survivor was the liaison who ran straight into the fort without waiting for his comrades. I don’t blame him. I’d have done the same if I had to face to those monsters.

rc8v3t.jpg

Why are they even called Prisoners of Ice? They sure don’t look like prisoners to me. I wish they were, because then we might not have them at our doorstep.

Hsark’s diary, 16th of Sandstone

With the last traders dead, the goblins have made their way to our entrance. I’ve ordered everyone inside. Too many dwarfs are already dead.

24m6ovb.jpg

Sorry whoever built the bridges, I was going to modernize the setup a bit and then this stupid siege happened.

Goblins our militia might be able to handle, but I’m not about to face one of those mutated blobs of tentacles (oh god it’s HEAVAN)! The masons will wall us in. THAT’S RIGHT FUCKING BLOBS, YOU WON’T GET A TASTE OF THIS DWARF.

2dirkns.jpg

But we need more time! JagreenLern and her Turquoise Pets have volunteered to hold back the goblins in a desperate attempt to keep the masons safe. “Comrade, this is for the good of the people. How could I shy away from such an honorable death?” JagreenLern said, and grabbed her crossbow. I tried to talk her out of it, but deep inside I knew this is the only way.

144b1vp.jpg

FOR VIRGINTRADED! Maybe I should have grabbed my trusty axe and joined in. But who would lead us then? My wife?!

2m7it0g.jpg

Their sacrifice was not in vain! I just got word that the entrance is sealed!

Now all I can do is listen to the muffled sounds of fighting, waiting for the inevitable conclusion.

v32e61.jpg

34o626u.jpg

2m6nxxv.jpg

Fuck off! I don’t have time to talk trade now. Stupid liaison.

The Turquoise Pets held on longer than any would have dared to hope, and even managed to drive away the first goblin wave. (Only one out of six died, but JagreenLern was completely mashed up and all the others were wounded.)

vno57m.jpg

14av4te.jpg

As the Prisoners of Ice gathered, only Morul and Nish remained.

2pq3nmf.jpg

30j2qs1.jpg

Can they kill at least one???

24g13kh.jpg

:(

They fought a glorious last stand. Dwarf bards will sing drunken songs in their memories! The sacrifice of the Turquoise pets will not be forgotten. I have ordered walls to be engraved throughout Virgintraded.

Silence now reigns in the frozen wastes. Without dwarfs left in reach, the Prisoners of Ice and their minions have taken to besieging us.

343oly9.jpg

Cassidy

Arcane
shoggoth.jpg

Nish Geshudkifed's terrifying last moments.

Pretend it's a dorf instead of man. My photoshop skills aren't good enough to swap it convincingly.

Also I built a cave-in trap right around that gold statue of the founder of Virgintraded surrounded by coffins for a reason. If anything decides to go close by for breaking the statue, press N and check the lever that must be pulled.

Hellraiser

Arcane
The land of ice may be full of prisoners and other horrors, but the dorfs of virgintraded do not fear that which they cannot comprehend.

Also there is just too much damn gold and adamantium around for a dorf to resist settling in such a hellhole.

Krash

Arcane
Also I built a cave-in trap right around that gold statue of the founder of Virgintraded surrounded by coffins for a reason. If anything decides to go close by for breaking the statue, press N and check the lever that must be pulled.

I noticed that. After the siege was over. :( I had such a great shot at the Prisoners of Ice too, there were like 6 around the statue when they wrecked it.

Oh well, now everyone knows what to do next time we get in a situation like this.

Also there is just too much damn gold and adamantium around for a dorf to resist settling in such a hellhole.

Considering all the deaths, I'm surprised migrants still keep coming. It's just like a midwest gold rush.

Cassidy

Arcane
Also damn I'll have to build levers and bridges of Ice all over the entrance again unless someone fixes that during the several runs before my time comes again...

... if Virgintraded survives for so long.

:M

Krash

Arcane
Yeah sorry about that, I intended to fix it so that the bridge would be straight in front of the entrance, but stupid goblins came and sieged for most of the end of the year.

Krash

Arcane
Hsark’s diary, 27th of Sandstone

This is so ironic. We’re the prisoners of ice now.

Attempting a breakout is pointless. There’s enough food to feed everyone here for years, and we can grow more if needed. Besides, I don’t think the militia would stand a chance against the monsters outside.

My beloved wife has ordered that no earrings be exported. I assured her that would be no problem at all.

Hsark’s diary, 28th of Sandstone

14xcn77.jpg

One of the members of the Turquoise Pets survived! Aslot, wife of the deceased Phelot, was supposedly sleeping when the squad was called to arms. Right.

Hsark’s diary, 10th of Timber

Aslot’s daughter Ast is now old enough to start working. No, not that kind of work.

14muwb4.jpg

15o812t.jpg

Our last carpenter died during an ambush. Since then the barrels have all been made out of gold, which is really wasteful (the gold should go to my retirement fund of course). So I’ve assigned Ast to learn carpentry. It’s wood, shouldn’t be too hard to shape right?

Hsark’s diary, 3rd of Moonstone

I had a shrine built to Zim the goddess of mountains. Better stack those odds in my our favour.

2ewlevq.jpg

x0s0mc.jpg

I also had a second garbage dump made. This one is closer to our workshops so all the subpar crap can easily be disposed of. And if some non-dwarf diplomat is a pain in the ass, we can use it for magma diplomacy.

k6ef7.jpg

Hsark’s diary, 22nd of Moonstone

I was very disappointed to discover only dogs can be trained for war. The fowls, cats, and other animals I had saved for that purpose have now been designated for slaughter as punishment for their non-cooperation.

Hsark’s diary, 27th of Moonstone

2lw5ggm.jpg

It quickly proceeded to rip pieces off Prisoners of Ice, pursuing them over the bridge. I thought deers were supposed to be gentle, shy creatures? Elves must be responsible.

2ugdi13.jpg

The Prisoners retreated into the traps. A wise move.

k4thr6.jpg

Wounded, the weredeer did what anyone would do when surrounded by dangerous enemies. He shapechanged into a soft, squishy human.

2f0dtgm.jpg

With predictable results.
Prisoners of Ice death count: still 0

Hsark’s diary, 5th of Moonstone

The weredeer carcass stank so bad that the siegers packed up and left. We promptly grabbed our tools and took the wall down.

1zdrgb7.jpg

Hey! Those kids are supposed to be counting my newly minted gold coins!

Bembul was so overjoyed by the lifting of the siege that he ran over to the forge and started grabbing building materials.

wbb6nq.jpg

kcbb0y.jpg

Pretty neat. Should have been me though, not some crummy old king. I don’t remember Inod Paddlerock singlehandedly saving Virgintraded, do you?

Some bros complained they have to sleep in the infirmary. I don’t really see the problem with that, but just to appease them I got our miners to dig out some new rooms. Some people are never happy.

314cidi.jpg

Hsark’s diary, 28th of obsidian

Hey this temple looks pretty nice! Wonder why no one ever mentioned it to me? Maybe I could hide my gold here until I figure out how to get it back to the moutainhome?

The charred diary ends here.

Cassidy

Arcane

Magma from volcanoes isn't pressurized so that it will fill multiple z-levels above the breach until reaching the highest level of the volcano itself........ right?

I made another cave-in lever just in case for that too(and also to prevent "I saw a magma crab the other day..."), but I suppose that if this is what I'm thinking, it's already too late.

Krash

Arcane
t65nwx.jpg

Note all the food and booze. :)

Named dwarfs still alive:

McLurker, Stoneworker
SerratedBiz, Engraver
Vernydar, Ranger
Azira, Gem Cutter
Kalin, Cpt of the Guard
Dextermorgan, Cook
Hsark, Cook

There are also rumours that Jacob Marsh may be lurking somewhere.

SAVE: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6434

Krash

Arcane

Magma from volcanoes isn't pressurized so that it will fill multiple z-levels above the breach until reaching the highest level of the volcano itself........ right?

That's right.

I made another cave-in lever just in case for that too(and also to prevent "I saw a magma crab the other day..."), but I suppose that if this is what I'm thinking, it's already too late.

I think Hsark just lost his diary because he was so dazzled by your amazing construction.

Urist McLurker

Learned
McLurker, Stoneworker
Woah cowboy slow down. When did I become a stoneworker!? When I left the save I was firmly in the glorious path of wood burning and now I chip stone all day?
:decline: of me.
As long as I'm still alive though, can't complain much.. Nice to see that SerratedBiz has yet again survived another year.

:bro: for the updates. Interesting finding out about those Prisoners of Ice at last.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
You could say that the spirit of Son of Sam lives on in Virgintraded. He deserved as much.

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
Downloadan the save.

So far I can't believe that this fortress is still standing. GJ everyone.

I'm still reading the previous chapters and I'm busy as fuck until Friday, but I think that I'll be able to spend some serious time on my turn during the weekend.

:salute: When danger rears its ugly head - all true dwarves bury their heads, and the rest of their fort, underground.

You can put me down on the list of potential overseers and onto that of getting a named dwarf: preferably something manly, like a Bone Carver or Leatherworker.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Why not something dwarvely? Like for example a miner, a miner, a miner, a wood burner, a miner, a gemcutter or a miner?

Urist McLurker

Learned
Why not something dwarvely? Like for example a miner, a miner, a miner, a wood burner, a miner, a gemcutter or a miner?
Only the greatest and most dwarvely of dwarves get to raise to such a prestigious and useless useful profession as burning wood. Pah! For a man who wished to be known as manly it is too good for him I say.
I'm impressed, this thread has changed the mind of the Codex about Wood Burners.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Urist McLurker
Just because a profession is extremely dwarven does not mean it is a profession every fortress is ready to accomodate yet. Only truly wonderous fortresses are able to bask in the prestige that comes with supplying and maintaining legions of woodburners.

Krash

Arcane
Personally I prefer the carpenter. Wood burners have no finesse when torturing an elf's best friend. Also, carpenters make something useful. Think of it as if someone took your deceased cat and made a bed copter out of it, I think that'd be worse than just burning the carcass.

Precisely, a Bone Carver. Totems of the skulls of our foes, bolts carved from the bones of fallen invade and decorations that menace with spikes of teeth :smug:

Still disappoints me that you can't use totems as statues.

Phelot

Arcane
One of the members of the Turquoise Pets survived! Aslot, wife of the deceased Phelot, was supposedly sleeping when the squad was called to arms. Right.

That bitch...

BTW, newb question, but how do you move a single boulder? I'm trying to figure this game out and I cleared out a space and wanted to build a stairwell, but there's a boulder on top and they won't build apparently. So... I know about making stockpiles, but can't I tell someone to move this one stupid thing?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom