Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Guido Henkel's Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore - CANCELLED

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
He has a DVD-review site and probably too many DVD's. Though yeah, his "spreading the word around" skills need some tweaking.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Guido Henkel said:
@Adriel, yes the screens look a little like Planescape and the reason for that is fairly simple. The design of the GUI for Planescape was mostly my doing. All these circular elements we had in the game screen, the round pop-up menu etc, all of those were things I thought up at the time and suggested to the rest of the team.

:troll:

amar0k

Novice
Uagh.

Sorry, but no. Concept art is shit. Name is shit. Concept is.. dunno..

And "Deathfire" in german would be: "Todesfeuer". I am german, and i think "Deathfire" sounds even worse in my german ears than it does in yours.

Stabwound

Arcane
Yeah, this looks unappealing in every way imaginable, which is really quite the accomplishment. I fear that Guido might go on a murder spree as a result of this game.

Guido Henkel said:
Thanks for the suggestion, but we don’t need a hard core CRPG engine. There are a thousand reason for us to use Unity3D and not a single one why we should not, so the decision is very simple.

Mixed messages and an attitude problem. Is it any wonder he fell out with the other developers?

Tigranes

Arcane
I haven't kept up, but that particular update doesn't show anything terribad, except for the portrait. It looks like Infinity Engine + a few changes, i.e. negative attributes which are always cool.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
WTF are you all talking about? We have only seen the character screens so far and you already call this less inspired and unappealing?

Guido Henkel said:
Thanks for the suggestion, but we don’t need a hard core CRPG engine. There are a thousand reason for us to use Unity3D and not a single one why we should not, so the decision is very simple.

Mixed messages and an attitude problem. Is it any wonder he fell out with the other developers?

You should have quoted the idiot he replied to. The genius thinks this is the first RPG that Henkel is programming...

People say stupid things everywhere, all the time. There's no point drawing attention to it all the time.

It's much easier to get people on your side when you can counter even the stupid comments with a friendly and positive response when trying to be a professional (or just ignoring)

Overboard

Arcane
I haven't kept up, but that particular update doesn't show anything terribad, except for the portrait. It looks like Infinity Engine + a few changes, i.e. negative attributes which are always cool.

WTF are you all talking about? We have only seen the character screens so far and you already call this less inspired and unappealing?

Guido Henkel is the anti-MCA on the Codex. Anything he says or does will be criticised, regardless of merit. If he invented a method of FTL travel he'd get slammed for making it too fast.

Rake

Arcane
Well, to be fair Guido had his fans in the Codex. I believe what pissed people of is the fact that Thorvalla campaign was an obvious cash grab. He changed RoA formula and i liked that as it shows he was trying to innovate and not copypaste, but if it was something he realy was passionate about and wanted to do for many years, why he abandoned it at the first difficulty? It came of as " well, the others made it, let's go to make a million $. Why not?" and when he didn't mada it he goes " fuck this, i won't make the game, let's do something completelly diffirent".
Maybe i'm way off, but it seemed that even he didn't had any particular attachment to his game.

Gord

Arcane
I wouldn't call it a cashgrab, just poorly/naively executed.
He probably also over-estimated his popularity. Looking at Larians campaign, success is not gained automatically for european and/or lesser known devs on kickstarter.

It became obvious quite quickly that he wouldn't succeed with the campaign, so he wrote it off instead of letting it die slowly.
Of course, he could still have continued with the project in different ways, but for some reason, that wasn't what he wanted.
So who knows, maybe his heart indeed wasn't into it, after all.

Anyway, I trust that he is able to make a good game, esp. if he has the right team behind it.
It's certainly something I'll be following.

Overboard

Arcane
...Name is shit...

And "Deathfire" in german would be: "Todesfeuer". I am german, and i think "Deathfire" sounds even worse in my german ears than it does in yours.

I missed this earlier, but y'know when the most popular system is called 'The Black Eye', making it sound like it's based on what happens outside pubs after closing time, you don't really have a leg to stand on.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

Regarding that, I remember exchanging some messages back in the 90's with one of the RoA designers. He basically said that they were all underpaid and that he quit when even the fun of making those games did not outweigh the low payment anymore. And yeah, he said that Henkel was the only one with an attitude, thinking of himself as a 'star'.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Guido Henkel said:
Despite this general real-time approach to the environment, the combat system will be a turn-based system that, once again, dives deeper into role playing elements than any real time game possibly could. We have not revealed any details about combat at this time, but I would like you to know that it will be an engaging experience that offers plenty of options for the player.

On top of that, your party will have two slots for recruitable NPCs–Henkel promises that there will be “a lot of inter-character activity….It was one of the hallmarks when we designed ‘Planescape: Torment’ and I’ll definitely stick to that because it opens up a wealth of cool opportunities for us as game designers.” It has not yet been decided whether this will be an interactive system, or whether the game will handle characters taunting and interacting with one another automatically.

:incline:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Inter-character interaction is new and the definite confirmation of turn-based combat is sort-of new as well.

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
all the codexian cockstrocking (TB combat? MUST BE INCLINE) terminology aside...who is funding this game? Is it gonna be a KS or is he going the traditional publisher route?

Also, will it run on tablets?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
henkel has heard our cries of combat mambo! good on ya henkel.

I don't think he reads here, but there were some people complaining about real-time combat on his blog.

all the codexian cockstrocking (TB combat? MUST BE INCLINE) terminology aside...who is funding this game? Is it gonna be a KS or is he going the traditional publisher route?

He seems to be financing it himself so far, with only 3 other developers involved (2 friends and his wife).

And of course TB combat is an incline compared to the Grimrock mambo jumbo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom