Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Theft Auto V - Released on PC

Buying it on PC is worth it even if you bought it multiple times before, 60 fps is just that good for this game.

Astral Rag

Arcane
I'm really enjoying exploring the world of GTA 5, I never leave first-person view. Last night I was driving around the Alamo Sea when I suddenly I heard music playing
dfqtsuty.png

It turned out to be a tap-dancing pig farmer and his buddies.
skype_hihi.gif

Last edited:

A horse of course

Important question: How do the cars handle compared to the awful GTA IV?

The handling seems less "realistic" to me compared to 4; it's more arcade-y and less heavy, if that makes sense. However, that's fine by me.

Game really is a lot of fun. The only negative I can think of is that it doesn't have a metal radio station - even San Andreas had one, ffs! :rpgcodex:

I have textures on very high even with a 2GB VRAM - i think "pedestrian variety" or something like that, if lowered to a minimum, frees up A LOT of graphics memory. And I didn't really notice the peds looking the same or anything.

I know I could do that if I didn't use 4xTXAA, but really I prefer the smooth look it gives. Aliasing was a huge problem in GTAIV too and it's such a relief to have most of it removed in V, which is why I just settled for using Normal textures. They still look a lot better than GTAIV textures, especially with some lumasharpen from sweetfx.

Important question: How do the cars handle compared to the awful GTA IV?

Car handling is a decline from IV, I'm sure you'll like it.
Still way better than handling in older GTA games or Saints Row/Sleeping Dogs.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Re-playing red dead redemption on ps3 to compare it to gta 5 on pc, and apart from lower resolution ofcourse the graphics are the same,which just shows that GTA 5 is still using an old rehashed engine from 2008 (it was made for ps3 and 360 after all). RDR still looks awesome and the atmosphere is better,when you stand on a cliff and you see the vast desert it's just so fuckin awesome,i'd imagine a proper fallout open world game to look like this, RDR is rockstars best game to date.
And the slow motion shooting is what every game should have. Too bad RDR 1 will never be on PC, maybe 2 will.

toroid

Arcane
The car handling in 4 was pretty awful. Cars were so heavy and unresponsive, and the roads were apparently coated with grease.
GTA 5's cars stick to the roads much better and accelerate/brake much more competently. Helps to make traveling feel much faster and less tedious. Car performance is also very upgradeable and customizable.

A horse of course

Good to hear. Saints Row 3 went way too far because a typical clunker from off the street was more than enough to outrun police, ram other vehicles and push stuff out of the way, so there was no reason to use slower but heavier vehicles or Speed Gitz. GTA IV's cars were an absolute joke and turned me off the whole experience.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Thought the car mechanics where more than adequate on the xbox. Only kept cars and started customizing them when I wanted to win those street races. It's pretty cool how much you could improve the handling, braking and speed of an already good car.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I loved GTA IV's shitty car handling, made for some hilarious moments.

The handling in GTA V is allright, shame they let you control your car in the air though.

Modron

Arcane
I loved GTA IV's shitty car handling, made for some hilarious moments.

The handling in GTA V is allright, shame they let you control your car in the air though.

They've had that control car in air thing for at least since SA never understood why. Probably mostly so they can make you do inane challenges at a driving school.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Reading the reviews where they lament the characters of the protagonists in the GTA games is always lulzworthy. Especially all the crying about this latest GTA's villains. You're playing hardened criminals, what do you expect? At least this GTA doesn't have you toying around with a whiny melancholic twat who cries about the horrors of war before butchering countless pedestrians by driving headlong over the sidewalk.

Only thing I find at fault in GTA V with its characters is that their setup is too short. Franklin's lack of opportunity, willingness to make something of it and despondency in living with his aunt is just glossed over. His rise from debt collector to career criminal is too sudden to make any real impact in how you percieve the character. He just stays this rather pedestrian guy when there was amazing potential for a rags to riches before the inevitable fall kind of tale.

Michel has a great start with his dysfunctional family, boredom fueled decadence and utter self loathing. Just as you get invested in his family troubles and therapy sessions the game sort of puts them on the sidelines. The potential for more investment in his family woes and lifestyle choices is clearly there. It felt to me like they cut a whole swat of content here and just let him get on with the Trevor bits.

Speaking about him, Trevor is clearly the GTA lovechild. The average player's playing style poured into a character who gets more and more evolved as the game goes on. Even his starting story is mostly and satisfactory finished by the time he makes the transition from meth trailer boss to massive heist puller. His two fellow protagonists feel glossed over or even cut short when compared to him. It's not that they are boring. They got a shitload of potential. It's that their unique background gets established and then neglected.

Still, love the game. Just feel it could have handled its main characters better. And I got this nagging feeling that they probably had at one time but cut a lot of content for one reason or another.

Sothpaw

Learned
I am pretty shocked how well this game performs on PC tbh. I have a 7970 which is a few years old at this point and it really runs the game like a dream. Overall, I am enjoying the game much more than GTA4 but not sure if I would rank it up there with VC and SA yet.

Ringhausen

Augur
I can set everything on Very High except the textures because of 2gb VRAM on my GTX760 + 4xMSAA and TXAA and even bring extended distance sliders half way up.
Why would you want to do that though? The game is extremely blurry with normal textures and TXAA makes it even worse.
My GTX760 runs it fine with very high textures and 2xSMAA. I only see it going over 1900mb vram on some storyline missions.

Starwars

Arcane
Guessing my old GTS450 and i3 540@3.07 ghz would not be able to run this very well?

Guess I might fire up my old copy of Sleeping Dogs instead, never did try it.

Sothpaw

Learned
Guessing my old GTS450 and i3 540@3.07 ghz would not be able to run this very well?

Guess I might fire up my old copy of Sleeping Dogs instead, never did try it.

I was going to tell you to stay away from Sleeping Dogs but I confused that with Watchdogs. Carry on.

Why would you want to do that though? The game is extremely blurry with normal textures and TXAA makes it even worse.

It is not extremely blurry, and TXAA looks great when combined with lumasharpen, which also makes textures look a bit better. I fucking hate aliasing, not willing to sacrifice AA and a bunch of other settings just to have higher res textures.

MasPingon

Arcane
I'm playing GTA5 story mode and GTA Online parallelly since it came out, so far I am:

- absolutely shocked how rich in content this game is. It's unbelievable how much work it consumed.
- suprised how damn good GTA ONLINE is. I never liked mmo games, but it feels just like a story mode.
- shocked by the performance, I run it smoothly on an old i5 760 / GTX 760 on high settings.
- pleased with overal writing and pacing.

If any game deserves 10/10 score, it's GTA5. I can't think of any other title being so near to be a "perfect entertaiment".

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
It really is a GOTY contender, even as a late port. I just hope they won't put the upcoming heists (I'm sure they promised more than five, originally) behind paid DLC.

Sothpaw

Learned
Good lord the anti-torture message was the most retarded thing ever. Let's show a perfectly nice family man getting tortured instead of a known muslim terrorist.

:hero:

Garryydde

Arcane
Patron
Douchebag! Repressed Homosexual
Good lord the anti-torture message was the most retarded thing ever. Let's show a perfectly nice family man getting tortured instead of a known muslim terrorist.

:hero:
Except that he was an Azerbaijani spy working on an assassination attempt.

SoupNazi

It really is a GOTY contender, even as a late port. I just hope they won't put the upcoming heists (I'm sure they promised more than five, originally) behind paid DLC.
Honestly - and I hate to admit this - I hope they won't put them behind paid DLC either, but if there was a good amount of new good heists, I would probably shell out a dollar or two.

Edit: Although I do have a criticism of the online heists. While I get that the singleplayer heists aren't as open in how you approach them because people are unlikely to replay them just to see the content, the MP heists should have more options available, perhaps even including some secret ways to finish them.

The set-ups are semi-open (most missions have a stealth option), but the finales never do. For example, in the prison heist, I can imagine several things for the finale that would make it better:

- the plane a pilot is supposed to land somewhere is detected by the army and jets are scrambled. If the pilot flew from the airport low, below radar level (GTA5 already has this mechanic), it doesn't need to be detected.
- the two guys who pose as prisoner and prison officer get detected almost immediately. There should be a (HARD) way to perhaps make it all the way to the prisoner undetected.
- if you get to the prisoner undetected and the plane is below the radar, perhaps the guy who would normally take the helicopter to defend the plane could take the helicopter to the prison instead, land on a roof and pick up the guy.

Otherwise I think the heists are very replayable and very fun. I spent 5 hours with a few friends trying to pull off the Prison Heist yesterday on Hard and with locked First Person View. It took about 30 tries, including some hilarious fails:

- We made it out of the prison all the way to the airport, got in the plane, the plane took off, and we realized we left the prisoner we were supposed to free, in the prison. So we had to land, drive back to the prison, pick him up, and go back to the plane. But then the plane got blocked by cop cars and our pilot died.

- We made it all the way to the jump point to escape, but one of my friends pulled their chute early and got helibladed by the guy in the chopper :D

There are some great things that emerge from the scenarios that aren't scripted, so if they were scripted even less and allowed for more ways to go through, it would be even greater.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom