Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Got some shit in the mail today

Where is the PDF version? I thought that anyone who paid for the prints would also get PDFs to them.

Tags: Numenera KickStarter; Torment: Tides of Numenera

I had a knock on the door this morning (who knocks when you have a doorbell?) only to open it and catch the postie pulling out of the driveway. A MYSTERIOUS BLUE BAG was left beside the door. Inside were two books (inside the box stuffed with filler paper that was in the bag, that is):

Was there no book jacket on that hardcover? My hardcover has art printed on it but it's not leather, of course.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Where is the PDF version? I thought that anyone who paid for the prints would also get PDFs to them.

You thought wrong.

Apparently poor Brother None gets lots of complaints about this. People need to lrn 2 rd what they're pledging for.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
That map/worldmap thing looks banal as fuck. I hope it is not representing the quality of the actual setting.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Isn't the list in the Numenara book the backers from the Numenara kickstarter? Not the Torment kickstarter?
Yup. This book wasn't funded by the Torment Kickstarter so it wouldn't make much sense to list Torment backers. We'll list our backers in our own product, naturally!

Still hasn't received mine. >.>
Did they send some kind of shipping notification btw?
Some countries have shipping notification, some don't, I don't really know the details. Honestly they should have all arrived now except for some

Nope. Digital backers get ebooks, physical get physical books. http://tormentrpg.tumblr.com/thekstiers

Kem0sabe

Arcane
That map/worldmap thing looks banal as fuck. I hope it is not representing the quality of the actual setting.

Exactly. With such rampant unemployment and poorly paid geologist, geographers on hand, it's a wonder why they didn't hire someone with an actual concept of geomorphology to at least help them with some unique concepts in their overland world design, would probably cost less than taking the entire team out to dinner.

I know it's a billion years worth of terraforming, but that should be an incentive to some well thought out design, not the opposite.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Well, they have the star forest. :troll:

I started going through this (about one third in) and the setting is pretty interesting, but I feel the details are too sparse. Guess he'll expand on it in future products, if they ever come.

It's no Planescape, though, that much is clear.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Remember that Torment will take place in "Beyond the Beyond" which I think is only described in a few pages in the Corebook. It's terra incognita, inXile can do pretty much whatever they want there.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
excuse me while I fap to the art
TvhuDs.jpg

Weirdo.

Alchemist

Arcane
What's with this image? It was in some generic fantasy art book I bought when I was 11.

Edit: http://www.keiththompsonart.com/pages/baron.html

It implies that the art is original by not saying directly (in a subtitle or heading) that it isn't. I don't like that at all.

I was originally going to say I'm impressed by the amount of work put into it but now I feel uncomfortable saying that without examining all of it
I own the book and I'd say the Keith Thompson art (something like 3 pieces) is the only stuff that wasn't commissioned specifically for Numenera. There is still a ton of original art throughout the book. RPG fantasy art is my field so I'm pretty good at spotting duplicates. They must have just liked Thompson's art and licensed it. I can't blame them - he's brilliant.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Can you explain why it is bad? Kem0sabe mentioned it doesn't have enough geomorphologies but what does that mean?
Yeah, that point doesn't really make any sense, since geomorphology deals with natural processes of landshaping, which do not apply to the Ninth World. "It doesn't look like a natural landmass" is kind of an odd criticism when it's not a natural landmass.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
It just looks like a very boring map, I dont know how to describe. But it doesnt matter when the actual game is set in a more interesting place as mentionend.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It's mentioned that it's set in a place that's not really described in the corebook. So it will be as interesting as inXile can make it.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Can you explain why it is bad? Kem0sabe mentioned it doesn't have enough geomorphologies but what does that mean?
Yeah, that point doesn't really make any sense, since geomorphology deals with natural processes of landshaping, which do not apply to the Ninth World. "It doesn't look like a natural landmass" is kind of an odd criticism when it's not a natural landmass.

As long as there is weather and the earth is still geologically active, the terrain will changed by these factors, amongst others, having someone draw realistic flood plains, river basins, coast lines and climate zones with terrain in mind, or even taking into account scifi elements that would act as agents of change, would be an asset instead of presenting a somewhat messy map.

Edit: I know the game is not set in the area shown, but i was commenting on the map itself, also i just pointed it out because i have done more cartography and geological profiles than i care to remember, for work, so the topic peaked my interest somewhat.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Sorry, I am an idiot. What exactly is unrealistic about it?

It's not down to it being realistic or not, it just looks like lazy design, too much going on crammed in that area. They should have dispersed the features in a smaller scale map (bigger area shown).

Curious about the rule and setting book, are more maps shown?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
HIS/HER HAIR IS NUMENARAS

By the way, I wouldn't get too worked up over maps, geography and other setting stuf because it is p. open and not very detailed (regardless of being the Steadfast or the Beyond), it doesn't even have much of a set mood or aesthetics, take what you see as just some reference. All you need to consider is that it's a quasi-medieval fantasy setting where ancient tech called Numenera replaces mana, aether or what have you as a source of magic.

Should be more worried about the mechanics which suuuuck.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Numenera KickStarter; Torment: Tides of Numenera

I had a knock on the door this morning (who knocks when you have a doorbell?) only to open it and catch the postie pulling out of the driveway. A MYSTERIOUS BLUE BAG was left beside the door. Inside were two books (inside the box stuffed with filler paper that was in the bag, that is):

Was there no book jacket on that hardcover? My hardcover has art printed on it but it's not leather, of course.
Nope. That's as it was. Solid leather and black with just the design squiggle on the front. I didn't even know what the hell it was for when I first opened the box. Took me a while to go "oh, so this must be for that Torment thing". An accompanying letter would've been a nice touch "Hey, this is that shit you paid for last year some-time, hope you enjoy!".

Exactly. With such rampant unemployment and poorly paid geologist, geographers on hand, it's a wonder why they didn't hire someone with an actual concept of geomorphology to at least help them with some unique concepts in their overland world design, would probably cost less than taking the entire team out to dinner.

I know it's a billion years worth of terraforming, but that should be an incentive to some well thought out design, not the opposite.
It's a bit of a mixed bag in my opinion. Some of the place names are a little disappointing, as there's a lot of "the's".

The Southern Wall
The Foundation Stones
The Great Slab
The Beanstalk
The Plains of Kataru
The Amber Monolith
The Caecilian Jungle
The Clock of Kala
The Steadfast
The Beyond

There's a lot of that shit in the book for the lore too "The Trapped Man", "The Blue Ache". Every place has at least five "The" things in it. Fuck Numenera, just call the land "The Definite Article"... and there's little annoying things I found like The Clock of Kala is described as a Clock but we don't see the whole thing on the map. Yet it describes the whole thing in the book as basically a complete ring of ice, bar The Sheer. It'd be nice to see it.

But there are some interesting places. The City of Bridges looks interesting, as does The Beanstalk, Vebar (an underground city hanging from the ceiling of a cave, built in the stalactites) and Nihliesh (which looks like some kind of moving land-walking city). Plus the places have some nice detail in lore and stuff. I'd be interested enough if the PC game was set there too.

Alchemist

Arcane
The leather cover is the special limited edition version. The regular retail ones have the cover painting.

Indeed. With some of the stuff he's written and the particularly poor names, you would think that he is going through the preteen excitement of having just found out about heaps of shitty fantasy literature and is in the process of replicating it in some form.

The leather cover is the special limited edition version. The regular retail ones have the cover painting.

It is a shame. The leather cover should at the very least come with a printed book jacket. The printed hardcover is glorious. Wouldn't trade no dead animal shit over that.

Alchemist

Arcane

It is a shame. The leather cover should at the very least come with a printed book jacket. The printed hardcover is glorious. Wouldn't trade no dead animal shit over that.
I agree on both counts - I'm glad I have the regular version - the book is much more striking that way. The design on the leather one just looks plain lazy - they could have done better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom