Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Goodbye Bioware

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
well, r00fles!, then.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
" Even his name is a play on Volo the Sage. "

No. It isn't. Don't make shit up.

"DA2 didn't sell 2 million, "

Yes. It did. This is fact.

"Other than that I'm definitely seeing Bioware declining and leaking talent left and right, between Brent Knowles (who was Lead Designer for DA:O) leaving right before Dragon Age 2, Drew Karpyshyn leaving as Mass Effect Lead Writer, these three guys leaving to found their own Indie studio and make a game they actually wanted to do (The Banner Saga), the guys talked about in this article and the countless number of people that likely don't even get any headlines it's hard not to see why their games are on a steep decline in regards to quality to even their previous work (which could also largely stem from the corporate culture), hell there was a post I saw a few days ago stating that from the original "Mass Effect" writing team from when the franchise started only 2 people still work on the project over here."

All companies have turnover - espicially one the size of BIO. As long as the docs are involved, it is still BIO. Krappyshyn, Notknowitalla, wt al. are just part of the amchine the docs created. Anothert name doesn't change a thing.

"They will have a harder time convincing people to buy their next game, especially on the blind faith that they rely on."

Must expalin why ME3 shipped 3.5 copies and had sold 870k in NA ALONE in 2 days. FFS And, SWMMO has over 1mil subscribers. yeah, BIo is really hurtin' on customers. LMFAO

The idea, btw, thatb I'm some lame dunk BIo fanboy is retarted. If I was sucha fanboy would I have not bought the SWMMO? Wouldn't I buy ALL their DLCs? Wouldn't I rate ALL their games 10/10?

iNTERNETZ ON KRACKZ.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Yep.

North, Bay, Ontario, Kanada.

644 Lakeshore Drive Unit 36. "
haha! SWEET.

P.S. No longer on Lakeshore. <>

"Why does Bioware hate Volly? "

Many reasons.One them being i make their fanboys cry by statinga simple fact of ME > KOTOR.​

Turjan

Arcane
"Why does Bioware hate Volly? "​

Many reasons.One them being i make their fanboys cry by statinga simple fact of ME > KOTOR.​

I have to agree it's hard to see that as anything but trolling, but it's funny this would upset them as ME is the new shit.

Yup. I assume you would rather earn a medal with such a statement.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"I have to agree it's hard to see that as anything but trolling"

How is the truth trolling? Facts are facts and ME is way better than KOTOR.

hoverdog

Developer
Both are crappy games, but KOTOR at least spawned Sith Lords. And had passable (if stupid and easy as fuck) combat, unlike ME, which is an irredeemable pile of mess.
also, Carth vs Kaidan who is better and why??!?

wait, i'm arguing with volly's statement

oh well, disregard that, carry on :hmmm:

Shiki

Learned
Both are crappy games, but KOTOR at least spawned Sith Lords. And had passable (if stupid and easy as fuck) combat

Yeah, "passable" combat where you spent all your time spamming the same AoE force power. Combat you could win with your eyes shut....

They're both shit. KOTOR is no better than ME. Shit all the way down. There's no arguing "this turd taste better than the other turd". Who'd want to actually eat turds ? Who wants to pretend a turd is less painful to eat than the other ? Are you the kind of gourmet who'd ask for Dog Shit in a restaurant because it taste better than Cat Shit or Human Shit ?

hoverdog

Developer
Yeah, "passable" combat where you spent all your time spamming the same AoE force power. Combat you could win with your eyes shut....
That's the point. It was so easy I might call it skippable (insert hepler joke here). Not that you could focus on anything else interesting in the game, but that's beside the point.
ME, on the other hand, had atrocious, sluggish combat that took all the worst ideas from popamoles and action rpgs.

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
KOTOR was a pretty good story (shut up I still enjoy a short fairytail now and then so what do you care?) even though I now don't like playing it very much. Sith Lords doesn't change anything significant about the gameplay (which was good at the time I was really into it), but the story, while kind of 'what if The Force was sentient and kinda a manipulative prick' seemed edgy and cool at the time, now comes off as bad fanfiction (like a lot of what I've read about expanded universe entries that just make The Force into general magic).

Taking it with what was set up in the OT (probably the only pieces of Star Wars I don't get super critical about because I can honestly say I would watch one of them every time the option was offered), Kreia just comes off as a self-deluded nut. Her response to her Force conspiracy theory is to be completely manipulative and a buzzkill herself to somehow cause you to make The Force (TF from now on) die? This just seems so hackneyed when the very first thing we learn about TF is that it is an "energy field generated by all living things" in the galaxy and "a Jedi's greatest ally," which I'm guessing is more in it's utility for good and preserving the wisdom of past Jedi Masters not actual cohesive intelligence. Kreia just (lazilly) uses it as a scapegoat for her petty deeds to somehow (just as awkwardly as her TF conspiracy theory is introduced) get the player to post-game go help Revan fight the (unnecessary plot-complicating macguffin of the) True Sith Empire at the edge of the galaxy.

That aside, Bioware has made KOTOR and Jade Empire, both of which I really liked at the time I was actively playing them. Before that I was oblivious to their Baldur's Gate games, which I am a bit nonplussed with (it's far too subjective in my head why they just don't click with me to explain effectively, and the majority of people here probably don't have the same nitpicks to understand the snowballing effect these things have on my enthusiasm). Everyone knows what they have done since, and I don't much like the direction. Thing is, I'm just dealing with it. The market might be more mellow to new North American RPG developers if there were only one big company like Bethesda to be the competition to, that is, if Bioware is truly making bad long-term business decisions.

Well, that's all I have unless someone else gives me something to think on.:love:

Shannow

Waster of Time
Subjectively for me:
ME >> KotOR
Simply because I played KotOR expecting something decent to good at a time when good games were stll fresh in my memory. Whereas I played MEh expecting pure shit. KotOR turned out to be yet another D&D-ruleset game (which I hated at the time), shitty story, shitty characters, shitty piss-easy combat, shitty graphics, shit consolized UI and only 1/3 as long as one would have expected at the time. MEh was worse in nearly every aspect but could have been entertaining as a B-grade 2-hour space-opera story. That was far more than I had expected. Thus
Really comparing them while trying to leave my expectations out, it'd probably be:
KotOR>MEh

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I was just passing through trying to find out the name of that blasphemous new writer-chick that Bioware got that supposedly takes inspiration from Twilight when I felt the irrepressible urge around page 4 to make an account just to call Volly here, a bloody idiot.
This is one of the best first posts since a long while. Also, Hamburger Helper.

MCA
And they are petitioning to retcon the ending via a patch or DLC:

Endings suck, we want a brighter one.
89%(25760 votes)

Endings are fine, we just want the Normandy strand on Earth or somewhere near Shepard.
8%(2434 votes)

Fine as it is.
2%(694 votes)

http://social.bioware.com/633606/polls/28989
https://www.facebook.com/DemandABetterEndingToMassEffect3
https://twitter.com/#!/RetakeME3

LOL, the sweet smell of butthurt. They want a "brighter" ending.

Now I have no idea how ME3 ends and I'd rather keep spoilers out. Regardless, this is just way too retarded and funny.

Also, in before somebody tells me this is old news and there is another thread for this.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Don't really need another thread on this. Merging with the Goodbye Bioware dead horse thread.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The ending isn't bad because Shepard dies, it's bad because it makes absolutely no sense and it doesn't resolve anything. It'd be like if at the end of Return of the Jedi, Luke died fighting the emperor and the movie just ended on that scene.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
What's the problem, exactly? I still haven't played ME3 but I've read this thread and I still don't understand what the fuss is about. The Reapers were a stupid idea right from the start. There was no way it was ever going to be explained in any other way than :retarded: and I don't care enough about the characters to give a fuck if they end up stranded on some remote planet.

That's another reason why I love Mass Effect 2. All you need to know is that the Reapers/Collectors are evil and using the liquified remains of humans to build a goddamn Contra 3 monster. There's none of this pretentious shit (it's going to be explained in a really cool way, we promise!) that BioWare loves so much when we all know their writers don't have the power levels necessary to pull it off. It's just a really fun game! Like Contra 3. What the shit is wrong with just being a really fun game?!

05.jpg

Look at that. That's my childhood!

NewFag

Educated
Only played the first ME. Was pretty shit.

Even after googling the ME3 ending spoilers, and seeing all the fan outrage, I doubt Bioware will die. It seems more like they'll enter the shooter market. Biotards complain when their masters piss all over them, but in the end they still lap up every last drop.

circ

Arcane
What's the problem, exactly? I still haven't played ME3 but I've read this thread and I still don't understand what the fuss is about. The Reapers were a stupid idea right from the start. There was no way it was ever going to be explained in any other way than :retarded: and I don't care enough about the characters to give a fuck if they end up stranded on some remote planet.

That's another reason why I love Mass Effect 2. All you need to know is that the Reapers/Collectors are evil and using the liquified remains of humans to build a goddamn Contra 3 monster. There's none of this pretentious shit (it's going to be explained in a really cool way, we promise!) that BioWare loves so much when we all know their writers don't have the power levels necessary to pull it off. It's just a really fun game! Like Contra 3. What the shit is wrong with just being a really fun game?!

05.jpg

Look at that. That's my childhood!
I don't remember dodging behind boxes in Contra III. OH LOOK BOXES IN THIS NEW AREA. SHOOTAN TIME. OH WE CAN RELAX NOW. BOXES ARE GONE. THIS IS A HACK AREA.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom