Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
How are the black mirror games? I can't trust most GOG reviews because they're usually a sentence or two about how great a game was 20 years ago and five stars. Not to say that's the case with those two games, since they're fairly new. Still, codex opinions?
I played all 3, but they didn't make a very strong impression on me. I recall the first half of the 2nd one being pretty good, and liking it less and less as it went along. The third one was pretty consistently mediocre throughout, and I honestly remember little to nothing about the first.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What an obnoxious idea that you should design a fucking PC-oriented service around a mobile-ready design. That worked well with Windows 8 ...
Of course, at least there it made some sense, because you could have a Windows Mobile phone.

But the whole point of GoG are PC games. Yeah, there are one or two monkeys out there who need to compulsively buy games while on the fucking bus or something instead of looking it up on the Internet and then buying it from the comfort of his computer, then maybe play it as well. But that's still a minority. Make a different phone-based version if you're so inclined, don't drag your majority down with it.
edit: or make an app
Are you an autist by any chance? Roffles! The site is not designed for mobiles, it is designed for PC-s. The layout, the menus are designed for a PC browser. But the underlying code is designed in a way so when opened on a phone, it can shrink the site for a smaller, narrower screen, and arrange the layout as well.

Stop acting like a fucking retard, the new site looks better than the old one. And if you would crawl out from your cave, you could see that some people like to browse the net while travelling.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I can't say I like the new design, not about it's PC-oriented or what. It feels too tight and stuffy? to me, and a bit hard to read.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Which steam? Because there is one and it doesn't remind me it. GOG site is more "compacted" now, almost no free space. Somewhat good decision, for me.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There doesn't seem to be any way to view a list of all the games sorted by how well they've sold over their entire lifetime on the site anymore. What a shame, it was great seeing PS:T at the top of that list.

buzz

Arcane
Are you an autist by any chance? Roffles! The site is not designed for mobiles, it is designed for PC-s. The layout, the menus are designed for a PC browser. But the underlying code is designed in a way so when opened on a phone, it can shrink the site for a smaller, narrower screen, and arrange the layout as well.

Stop acting like a fucking retard, the new site looks better than the old one. And if you would crawl out from your cave, you could see that some people like to browse the net while travelling.
You try too hard.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I knew this would happen some day once the site initially started running. It was bound to happen eventually, but on the other hand there are still a lot of Good Old Games that they still haven't covered. They should've focused their resources on tracking down the people who have the licenses for them so they can add them to their repertoire, not add all these newshit games, design a fugly new layout and give even more validation to these neo-Beatniks with their hipster movies and documentaries. The reason most other internet vendors lose to Steam is because they do the same thing as them. At least GOG was covering a niche no one else was bothering with, but that has become less the case over the years. Incidentally I haven't bought a game from GOG in nearly 2 years now.

Morkar Left

The grey logo looks horrible. Who ever came up with the idea to suck the colors out of the side. Even the codex has a color...

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

You try too hard.
You, on the other hand, act like a stupid quite easily.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
I knew this would happen some day once the site initially started running. It was bound to happen eventually, but on the other hand there are still a lot of Good Old Games that they still haven't covered. They should've focused their resources on tracking down the people who have the licenses for them so they can add them to their repertoire, not add all these newshit games, design a fugly new layout and give even more validation to these neo-Beatniks with their hipster movies and documentaries. The reason most other internet vendors lose to Steam is because they do the same thing as them. At least GOG was covering a niche no one else was bothering with, but that has become less the case over the years. Incidentally I haven't bought a game from GOG in nearly 2 years now.
Why do you think they stopped covering that niche? They still sell old games, they have an old game release every week. The classics which are not on the site, like LucasArts games are not on the site because ....i don't know....they can't acquire them legally.

It makes my head hurt when someone says that GOG stopped caring about old games, just because they sell new games as well. Fucking ridiculous.

Divinity: Original Sin
Which steam? Because there is one and it doesn't remind me it. GOG site is more "compacted" now, almost no free space. Somewhat good decision, for me.

Not visually, but now deals are on the top-right corner of the site, the main releases in the same position, and the games screenshots and videos layout are all the same as steam. And I believe it's also due to the fact they're releasing a steam like service with galaxy. It's not copy/paste, but there are similarities.

My complaint is that I don't like the steam game page, with a bar of small screens that you aways have to roll to see the next one. And now, gog is just like it.

But overall I like the changes, but functionally, it's just the same. What it really needs is more options for organizing the virtual shelf.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
How are the black mirror games? I can't trust most GOG reviews because they're usually a sentence or two about how great a game was 20 years ago and five stars. Not to say that's the case with those two games, since they're fairly new. Still, codex opinions?

I think they became better with each entry and ended very strong. The first was rather a chore, especially in terms of "I can tell exactly how this story is going to end, but I can't do squat about it". It was also not nearly as scary as it should have been (given was the story was), and felt rather limited in scope compared to the later games, but it did have a nicely claustrophobic atmosphere.
The second part also suffered from a predictable plot, but the devs had a much better handle on the graphics by that point, which benefitted the atmosphere immensely. The third part was just plain good, I thought.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Why do you think they stopped covering that niche? They still sell old games, they have an old game release every week. The classics which are not on the site, like LucasArts games are not on the site because ....i don't know....they can't acquire them legally.

It makes my head hurt when someone says that GOG stopped caring about old games, just because they sell new games as well. Fucking ridiculous.

So show me some statistics on how many old games they have released in the past few years. They used to release a bunch of them biweekly. Now you'll be lucky to see one old game get released every week or two on average. I just went through their NEW & COMING tab and out of 75 new releases only 11 were Old Games.
But I digress, no one said that they stopped publishing them, but they certainly did stop caring about them. They only do it to now uphold status quo because their fanbase still expects it. It is the reason that most of them came there in the first place.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

So show me some statistics on how many old games they have released in the past few years. They used to release a bunch of them biweekly. Now you'll be lucky to see one old game get released every week or two on average. I just went through their NEW & COMING tab and out of 75 new releases only 11 were Old Games.
But I digress, no one said that they stopped publishing them, but they certainly did stop caring about them. They only do it to now uphold status quo because their fanbase still expects it. It is the reason that most of them came there in the first place.
And don't you think it was easier to get those old games in the beginning, when there was hundreds of them. But if all that remains are the hard to get titles, you can't expect them to release 5 games/week.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

And don't you think it was easier to get those old games in the beginning, when there was hundreds of them. But if all that remains are the hard to get titles, you can't expect them to release 5 games/week.

I'm a consumer, not a marketer or company representative. It's my right to ask for the kind of crap I want from them, not feel sorry that a huge company like CD Projekt might have problems attaining licenses. :lol: If they can do 1 game a week then that's fine, too, if it was some kind of quality game. Most of the games they have been releasing aren't exactly stellar games that people look back with fond memories. Yeah, I played Crystal Caves as a kid, but that doesn't mean it is classic game material. It wasn't a particularly good game, so it feels like they are taking whatever they can to uphold that status quo I talked about. There are better nostalgic platformers out there like Commander Keen, yet they are nowhere in sight when you search for them in GOG. You can get Keen 1-5 on Steam, though, at the low price of 5 steambux. :smug:

Anyway, I never said it would be easy, but they've managed to get some obscure games before so the only thing that's stopping them is them not diverting the resources necessary into doing so.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
I'm with HE on this one. The fact that they haven't released [Esoteria]
1122878240-00.jpg

Is a crime.

Coboney

Scholar
Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera

I'm a consumer, not a marketer or company representative. It's my right to ask for the kind of crap I want from them, not feel sorry that a huge company like CD Projekt might have problems attaining licenses. :lol: If they can do 1 game a week then that's fine, too, if it was some kind of quality game. Most of the games they have been releasing aren't exactly stellar games that people look back with fond memories. Yeah, I played Crystal Caves as a kid, but that doesn't mean it is classic game material. It wasn't a particularly good game, so it feels like they are taking whatever they can to uphold that status quo I talked about. There are better nostalgic platformers out there like Commander Keen, yet they are nowhere in sight when you search for them in GOG. You can get Keen 1-5 on Steam, though, at the low price of 5 steambux. :smug:

Anyway, I never said it would be easy, but they've managed to get some obscure games before so the only thing that's stopping them is them not diverting the resources necessary into doing so.

Its not just about the difficulty of obtaining licenses - its also the fact that there is a limited number of 'good old games' and so while there were a lot more to add at first, it slows down over time as they have less they can add when they have a catalog already. A lot of the games they also have to set up with dosbox and similar things which takes time.

Also what you might not remember fondly other people might. Nostalgia is a funny thing that way sometimes. And no they can't always add games you'd like but they do make an effort to continue to add good old games to their repetoire while trying to be a responsible business - more so than others with their no DRM and, it seems trying to deal with regional pricing issues.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Paradoxically, the fact that CD Projekt is now a "huge company" may actually be harming their attempts to get licenses. The bigger they get, the less motivation their now-competitors have to cooperate with them. Especially when those competitors have their own digital distribution platforms they'd like to push.

Coyote

Arcane
Decided to look for threads about the to-be-removed games that I haven't played yet but am vaguely interested in. Maybe somebody else will find them useful. (Numbers denote separate threads, not originals/sequels.)

The Black Mirror
Desperados (1, 2)
Silver
Spellforce, blast from the past style. (Apparently the consensus is that Spellforce 2 is a bit better than 1, but that opinion is dispersed over so many old threads with 1-4 replies each that I'm not going to bother linking them.)
Summoner (1, 2)

Also, fucking lol at that list of movies. Finally, Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony can get the exposure it truly deserves.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Paradoxically, the fact that CD Projekt is now a "huge company" may actually be harming their attempts to get licenses. The bigger they get, the less motivation their now-competitors have to cooperate with them. Especially when those competitors have their own digital distribution platforms they'd like to push.

This could be true. License holders might also be trying to hard ball GOG into changing their pricing schemes now that they are bigger and worth more than just a few pretty pennies, as we are seeing with Nordic Games.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Like Bethesda, I think? I wonder whether they can or do not pull out Arx Fatalis from GOG.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Like Bethesda, I think? I wonder whether they can or do not pull out Arx Fatalis from GOG.
Yeah Bethesda is a steam exclusive company, and they own id now which is why you don't see Commander Keen, Doom, Quake, etc.

m_s0

Arcane
Is it me or is the quality of the movies they're selling... well, shit:

Available resolutions: 1080p (4.7 GB), 720p (1.8 GB), 576p (608 MB)
http://af.gog.com/movie/the_dungeon_masters?as=1649904300

This is exactly the same issue I have with buying lossy music. Not going to happen. Not that there's anything worth buying in the catalogue so far (Once Upon Atari is by far the best thing on there, and that's just a bunch of anecdotes you could already read elsewhere for the most part. Not great, but watchable)

VzUX5Mr.jpg

AmeGn34.jpg

:what:

I need to take a shower, be right back.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom