Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SpellForce. Any comments?

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
http://spellforce.jowood.com/?rid=848&lang=en

Has anyone here tried the game out? If so, what's your opinions? Although not a big fan of RTS games, I still like a select few. This one looks interesting, especially with the claim of being an RPG as well. I'd just like to know how well they pull it off.

Although apparently they had a buggy release considering the fact that some people couldn't even install the game. :?

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Exitium said:
It's out? Jeez. Talk about poor PR.

Yeah, I know. And they even have a patch for it already. :?

I wasn't saying anything about covering it, Saint. I was just wondering is anyone had played it and knew if it was any good. Didn't think you guys would be doing anything coverage-wise on it, anyways. :)

Saint_Proverbius said:
It always looked more RTS than RPG to me, which is why we never bothered to cover this title.
I've played the final version of Spellforce, and have to say that the single-player portion, at least where I am in it, has been just the opposite--far more RPG-ish than RTS-ish.

It's got god-awful voice acting and the story's nothing special (yet) but it blends RTS and RPG seamlessly, and is pretty addicitve. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for something a little different...

Lemon

Arcane
According to (RPGDot) Gorath

Originally posted by Gorath:
[QB]
Originally posted by D.A.Lewis:
[qb]I'm hoping that if I wait for the American version, they will redo the voices for us.

Yeah, I'm dreaming and living in a fairy land. [/qb]
If JoWooD had enough money for decent voice actors they would have hired them in the first place. ;)

Just wait for the US demo. Should be released soon.

So far SpellForce is JoWooD´s most successfull game ever in the German market, so a financial disaster is rather unlikely.

The category SpellForce belongs to is RPS (RolePlaying Strategy). ;) [/QB]

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Everyone's got a voice, too. That just owns. It's hard to go back to other games where you have to actually read the scrolly lines on the screen instead of voices.

Sam Brown

Novice
Actually, Spellforce has a lot of RPG. It's far from innovative RPG, but I was quite surprised to find what I did. I'd say (in my 8 hours of play) you spend 55% of your time doing RPG quests, the rest is waiting on your village to build up and running around getting into fights.

The RPG questing is pretty ordinary. Stuff like "I lost my master's spectacles, if you see them, could you return them to me?" or a drunken dwarf who demands you bring him some good dwarven liquor. So far I think everything has been of the "bring item X to me and I'll give you item Y or send you on another quest" or something to that effect. Like I said, not innovative, but a long way from being strictly RTS. In fact, at this stage, I'd say RTS isn't the full focus of the game. The focus is on the player (your avatar) and what he has to do to complete his quests and advance the story. The RTS aspects are merely a means to an end. For example, you have to clear an orc camp, the only way to do that is with an army, so you spend the next half hour building up an army and then you go assault the orc camp. Once that's done you just keep your army around in case you run into another camp that needs clearing, but you can often complete quests without the help of others (like I said, at least that's true at the early stage I'm at in the game).

To expand on what I said about the focus being on your character, there's some degree of tunability in how you develop your character. Often quest completion will grant you experience points, as will vanquishing foes. As you advance, you choose where to invest your skill points and how to increase your stats. Those, of course, determine which weapons, armor, and spells you have access to. So you can voluntarily complete non-essential quests or kill those wandering monsters if you like, to get just that little bit more XP so you can advance a level and up a skill in order to use this really cool item you've been carrying around for a while. It's an interesting dynamic to be sure and certainly a different mix than other games.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I tried the demo, and.. Well, I wasn't impressed at all. I really wasn't impressed that it locked up several times as well.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I can't get it to run without crashing after the first mission loads up on my current computer. If it (the demo) doesn't run on my next generation computer I'm not going to lay a finger on it.

Anonymous

This game reminds me of a lesser (more or less) Warlord's Battlecry.

joshbts

Novice
I'm playing Spellforce at this moment.
I think it's a great game with a great storyline. Also the RPG/RTS mix is very pleasing. The only let down till so far ar indeed the voices. But that's doesn't bother much since the rest of the game is just great.

taks

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
I tried the demo, and.. Well, I wasn't impressed at all. I really wasn't impressed that it locked up several times as well.

yeah, it got really weird on me too. the view just kinda wigged out.

mark

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom