Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I thought they were just going to emulate the ones that don't already have native Linux clients.
Wut?

They have to be sure that the libraries their program(s) depend on will be on the system and work the way they expect. So you can't just have depend kernel version >= 2.6. That's why they target specific distros, and only promise that they'll run on those.
Don't they statically link everything?
I'm not sure.

I know with Steam specifically, it requires for example pulse audio. I imagine there are other examples of expecting certain services or drivers and limiting time to test systems. Just making sure it runs on ubuntu is easy and covers pretty much all debian based distros and everyone else can figure it out on their own.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
JudasIscariot , just give up. You can say you never heard of the game, but VonVentrue is wired to see any dialogue you sprout as proof of some greater conspiracy. You're just wasting time you could be spending gaming. And you should try Paper Sorcerer, if you get a chance.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9367

I think I played this game... it was all papery and there was magic, a whole lotta magic going on :D

(Of course, I played the game :) You think I am wearing an avatar from the game just for looks? :D )

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
JudasIscariot , just give up. You can say you never heard of the game, but VonVentrue is wired to see any dialogue you sprout as proof of some greater conspiracy. You're just wasting time you could be spending gaming. And you should try Paper Sorcerer, if you get a chance.

I think I played this game... it was all papery and there was magic, a whole lotta magic going on :D

(Of course, I played the game :) You think I am wearing an avatar from the game just for looks? :D )

6a00e5505fc49688340105365717fd970c-320wi

Too bad I didn't make my last post yesterday... the date for this exchange would have been perfect. Oh, and next April 1st you guys should post that you are purchasing Steam and becoming STOG.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath

Too bad I didn't make my last post yesterday... the date for this exchange would have been perfect. Oh, and next April 1st you guys should post that you are purchasing Steam and becoming STOG.

Speaking of steam, and this is just out of pure curiosity, does GOG have a self-managed workplace like Valve?

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron

Speaking of steam, and this is just out of pure curiosity, does GOG have a self-managed workplace like Valve?

Define "self-managed" :D

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath

Workers' control of the means of production, meaning decision-making over production comes directly from the workers, rather than managers (or owners, though it's almost always the managers that hold the power in a typical modern workplace) . This is a kind of broad, since a workplace can function in various ways and still be considered an example of workers self-management. Value, in their new employee handbook, talks about "flatland", meaning a non-hierarchical workplace structure. Anything similar to that happening at GOG?

Last edited:

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron

Workers' control of the means of production, meaning decision-making over production comes directly from the workers, rather than managers (or owners, though it's almost always the managers that hold the power in a typical modern workplace) . This is a kind of broad, since a workplace can function in various ways and still be considered an example of workers self-management. Value, in their new employee handbook, talks about "flatland", meaning a non-hierarchical workplace structure. Anything similar to that happening at GOG?

Well, here is the official text about our mentality:

http://af.gog.com/work#gog_mentality?as=1649904300

And yes, it is EXACTLY as described on our Work page :) We have fun at work but we still work and while we do have a hierarchy in terms of who does what it's not some strict, rigid thing.

For example, if I have a project that I reaaaaalllly want to get done and there's nothing pressing, nobody tells me "No! you have to do X!". I just say "Hey, I am going scan this manual in and try to get it perfect but if you need anything let me know" and that's that :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom