Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games so obscure that...

octavius

Arcane
Patron
they don't even show up on Mobygames or the largest Abandonware sites.

A few of my old ZX spectrum favourites, like Sorderon's Shadow and Out of the Shadows are missing at Mobygames.

Of DOS games I was looking for info about SSI's AD&D Doom clone Slayer from 1994. It has an entry on Mobygames, but no screenshots. None of the largest Abandonware sites - Underdogs, Abandonia, MyAbandonware or Old Game - has it.
Was it really that bad?
EDIT: Ah, now I see that it was only released on the 3DO. I guess that explains it. But why the 3DO only?

Any other commercial games you liked, but are now as obscure as the above mentioned games?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Could you tell us a bit about these games?

Sorderon's Shadow was a game based on the Lords of Midnight engine, but was more of an exploration and adventure game than a war game.
It had possible the best cast of weird and wonderful NPCs in any game I've played, with characters like Manic Treeblower and Samus the Winged Horse to name a few. It was very difficult though, and I never completed it.
It was an extremely ambitious game as well, with thousands of locations, a large number of moving NPCs, text input, lots of different items, night and day cycle and need to eat and sleep.
I'd love to see a modern remake of it.

Out of the Shadows was kind of a rogue like. Not as complex as a real rogue like, but it did have a nifty line of sight system. It was quite fun, but when I tried to replay it some years ago it I couldn't stand the UI; having to type "go East" instead of just single keys.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The only PC game I own that is obscure on a level like this, is also the only game I submitted to the Home of the Underdogs, a PC version of the Mille Bornes card game released in 1990 or thereabouts.

There are probably some games I own on the Amstrad CPC that fit the bill. The Covenant is one such game, a weird platformer with oversized sprites. Most Amstrad sites seem to list it, but have otherwise very little info on it. Another one is Survivor, where you play an Alien-knockoff trying to kill everyone aboard a spaceship. While that game has a Mobygames entry, it is very sparse on information.

Then there are the three known Icelandic computer games released before the turn of the millenium (and also before EvE Online, come to think of it). The first one was a game on the Spectrum that I can't even remember the name of, another was a PC game simulating the running of a fishery that was released in 1994 IIRC, and then the multimedia title Tímaflakkarinn (The Time Traveller) in 1998.

mondblut

Arcane
Of DOS games I was looking for info about SSI's AD&D Doom clone Slayer from 1994. It has an entry on Mobygames, but no screenshots. None of the largest Abandonware sites - Underdogs, Abandonia, MyAbandonware or Old Game - has it.
Was it really that bad?
EDIT: Ah, now I see that it was only released on the 3DO. I guess that explains it. But why the 3DO only?

3DO was the first cd-enabled console, no? And by the time others arrived, SSI already lost D&D license, not to mention Slayer was pretty awful to begin with (not exactly Doom clone, moar liek Dungeon Hack with free movement. For truly derp D&D Doom clone, see Deathkeep, ugh)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Was it really that bad?

3DO was the first cd-enabled console, no? And by the time others arrived, SSI already lost D&D license, not to mention Slayer was pretty awful to begin with (not exactly Doom clone, moar liek Dungeon Hack with free movement. For truly derp D&D Doom clone, see Deathkeep, ugh)

Holy shit, what is your Knowledge (Obscure RPGs) skill?! 50!?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
...they don't even show up on Mobygames or the largest Abandonware sites.

It's sad to know that some of the games you are describing will be lost forever, like endangered species.

Copy that floppy.

Floppy, kid? :P
Spectrum games came on casettes (some on cartridge for the filthy rich) and you loaded and saved from tape recorders.
I still have the casettes, though.

mondblut

Arcane
Was it really that bad?

Holy shit, what is your Knowledge (Obscure RPGs) skill?! 50!?

My father had 3DO, and I played a few hours of Slayer back in the day before the first wave of decline hit like a brick wall. We were writing books with game guides at the time (was handy for the piratistan that also couldn't into the civilized language), so I had to deal with all kinds of shit games.

Nothing beats translating a 200 pages plane sim manual on tape recorder. Fun times.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Mmm, good topic.

I wanna nominate Tower of Myraglen. In fact, I could mention any Apple IIGS exclusive, and chances are few of you would have ever heard of it. But Tower of Myraglen is really a one-of-a-kind game, thanks mostly to the fucked up imagination of Richard Seaborne - the guy who later wrote and coded Escape from Hell, another awesome obscure CRPG.

(I did an LP of Tower of Myraglen, by the way, and I also did one for Escape from Hell at SomethingAwful)

Other games I could mention are John Carmack's early CRPGs. I bet no one but me has even played them here :P I mean Shadowforge and Wraith. Both were distributed with some Apple IIGS magazines or compilations or whatever. Pretty straightforward Ultima II clones, both of them. I played them when I was preparing for a Carmack interview for the Codex, which eventually got canned thanks to Bethesda's PR. Even obtaining them was a pain in the butt.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Mmm, good topic.

I wanna nominate Tower of Myraglen. In fact, I could mention any Apple IIGS exclusive, and chances are few of you would have ever heard of it. But Tower of Myraglen is really a one-of-a-kind game, thanks mostly to the fucked up imagination of Richard Seaborne - the guy who later wrote and coded Escape from Hell, another awesome obscure CRPG.

(I did an LP of Tower of Myraglen, by the way, and I also did one for Escape from Hell at SomethingAwful)

I've heard of Myraglen, but only because of your LP.
Escape from Hell was a game I considered playing, but ended up scratching from my list.
Richard Seaborn also did Prophecy 1 - The Fall of Trinadon before Escape from Hell.
The CRPG Additict played it recently, and Seaborn even turned up to comment on it.
Maybe the Addict will even add Myraglen to his list, now that he's changed his mind about playing DOS only.

Other games I could mention are John Carmack's early CRPGs. I bet no one but me has even played them here :P I mean Shadowforge and Wraith. Both were distributed with some Apple IIGS magazines or compilations or whatever. Pretty straightforward Ultima II clones, both of them. I played them when I was preparing for a Carmack interview for the Codex, which eventually got canned thanks to Bethesda's PR. Even obtaining them was a pain in the butt.

Fucking Bethesda (or more likely their owners) and their "you can't do that" and "you are not allowed to say that" policy.

I also hope everyone who has access to SA is following the Amulets & Armor LP. Holy crap isn't it awesome.

Wow, that was a really interesting read.
I have added the game to my 1997 play list.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Crooked Bee

Patron
I also hope everyone who has access to SA is following the Amulets & Armor LP. Holy crap isn't it awesome.

Made all the more interesting by having the developers rise from their graves and register at SA specifically to comment on that LP.

No wonder that thread is rated gold there.

Also fucking Bacter is one of the best LPers on the internet, period.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Made all the more interesting by having the developers rise from their graves and register at SA specifically to comment on that LP.

A bit disappointing to read that the old timers are now into Facebook games and interactive movies, though.

Mmm, good topic.

I had an Apple IIGS (still do, in fact), and I vaguely remember Tower of Myraglen. Pretty sure I still have the disk, and probably the box, for it laying around some place.

I think I remember that magazine you're talking about. Was it Softdisk Publishing? I subscribed to it briefly before they stopped publishing. As I recall, it wasn't just games, but programs of all types. I believe the only game I got was one called 'Catacombs' - an action game sort of similar to Gauntlet, but you were a wizard, and could pick up a couple different types of spells. A couple other John Carmack CRPGs were released earlier through that magazine - the Dark Designs series. I only played the first, but they were pretty standard Wizardry-like, although fairly short. The combat initially looked like Gold Box (your party and the enemies are shown as sprites), but it was all just for show, and ended being just like Wizardry.

Speaking of Wizardry, there's a quite good Wizardry clone (of the 1-3 sort, although much enhanced), called Silvern Castle, that came out for the Apple II a couple(!) years ago. Well, ~2000, but still well after the Apple II had been discontinued. There were 3 scenarios included, but I've only been through the first. If you were a fan of the original Wizardries, I recommend it. Its a bit of a pain to set up, but I feel its worth it.

Crooked Bee

Patron

A bit disappointing to read that the old timers are now into Facebook games and interactive movies, though.

A lot of the oldtimers are...

I guess that's a psychological thing, first and foremost. They don't want to be perceived as old-timers so they pretend to be into whatever they think is fashionable at the moment.

I don't really blame them for that. Actually, I'm pretty sure they could see the light reason if somebody told them there is still a huge market for the oldschool. Again, it's a psychological thing, I believe.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Speaking of Wizardry, there's a quite good Wizardry clone (of the 1-3 sort, although much enhanced), called Silvern Castle, that came out for the Apple II a couple(!) years ago. Well, ~2000, but still well after the Apple II had been discontinued. There were 3 scenarios included, but I've only been through the first. If you were a fan of the original Wizardries, I recommend it. Its a bit of a pain to set up, but I feel its worth it.

Wow, thanks for this. As the biggest fan of the original Wizardries on the Codex, I can safely say I luv u :3

Gonna google it now.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I don't really blame them for that. Actually, I'm pretty sure they could see the light reason if somebody told them there is still a huge market for the oldschool.
If DFA, Wasteland 2 and now D:OS all failed to show them reason then nothing will.

I mean D:OS is the ultimate example. The game was being made anyway, and strictly speaking there was absolutely zero need for more funding, KS or otherwise. Yet the mere mention that more funding could make the game a little better got people to throw one million dollars at it (not that I'm complaining...).

The market's there and all signs that the market is viable are ALSO there. Hell if you'd asked me a year ago whether something like the D:OS KS would've worked I would've laughed to your face (and then cried after you left). If any of the old-timers still don't see it, it's because they don't want to (see RG).

Gord

Arcane
Speaking about obscure games, I remember one from my c64 days.
It was a sci-fi tank simulation/arcade game with vector graphics.

Can't remember the name and so far hve found nothing on google. Anyone got an idea?

Speaking about obscure games, I remember one from my c64 days.
It was a sci-fi tank simulation/arcade game with vector graphics.

Can't remember the name and so far hve found nothing on google. Anyone got an idea?
Battlezone?

Kz3r0

Arcane

A lot of the oldtimers are...

I guess that's a psychological thing, first and foremost. They don't want to be perceived as old-timers so they pretend to be into whatever they think is fashionable at the moment.

I don't really blame them for that. Actually, I'm pretty sure they could see the light reason if somebody told them there is still a huge market for the oldschool. Again, it's a psychological thing, I believe.
I disagree on this, there are multiple factors for their attitude in my opinion, for example back in the day what we call old school was at the cutting edge of the industry, so, probably they simply followed the same trend as the industry itself and nowadays Facebook and such are the cutting edge, greed also plays its role, the modern gaming models can provide much more and better sources of income that the older models, look at Sierra for instance, they made illogical and convoluted puzzles a core feature of game design because provided both additional income through guidebooks and an insurance against piracy, Leisure Suit Larry creator in his recent Kickstarter cited the fact that they sold more guidebooks than copies of the original game, DLCs are just a natural evolution of this; last but not least, many oldtimers are just that, old, they lost it while still wanting to be part of the industry again and this is why they embrace the popamole, because is what the cool kids want.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom