Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game of the year 1998?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
In another forum I read there is poll which declares a GOTY and a Runner Up for each year from 1990 to 2010.
But I would like to know how The Codex would vote in such a poll, and which community how has the best (IMO) taste, so please vote.
1998 was a good year for gaming, so let's try that year.

My own votes for 1998:

GOTY: Thief: The Dark Project
Runner Up: Half-Life

A good reference site: http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/1998/

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Baldur's Gate was Game of the Year on Computer Games Online, Computer Games Magazine, GameCenter, Games Domain, IGN and Vault Network.

Dunno about the others.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
All I can say is that I must have looked like this in 1998:

info_overload.jpg

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Grim Fandango

Tough choice though. 1998 is widely regarded as the best year in gaming before the Great Decline by gamers over the age of 20.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Battlezone, Thief

Actually looking through that category on wiki it looks like 1998 wasn't really full on great games compared to '97 and '99

Mortmal

Arcane
Yep its telling, people are not too fond of rpgs on this forum .But the mentioned titles are very good games. 1998 was an excellent year.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Drog Black Tooth said:
It's really telling that nobody mentioned Fallout 2 yet.

It's really telling that game is a piece of shit compared to its masterpiece predecessor.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
Grim Fandango and Thief.

Fallout 2 gets an honorable mention but I wouldn't say it tops the above. It's, well, the sequel to Fallout with more random kewl stuff plus a hanful of UI and mechanical improvements, a derpy story and botched atmosphere of the first game (I mean, tribals, really? WTF). Baldur's Gate scores second place in honorable mentions because I had tons of fun with it back in the day, killing monsters and creating powerbuilds in wacky AD&D2nd Ed.

Renegen

Arcane
Half Life if it came out in 1998, I played that game more than any other game in history. Its community was also epic, so many phases, so many fads, so many mods and personalities. Just an amazing reward for a $50 purchase.

edit: holy crap 1998 was a good year for gaming.

I also remember that Jedi Knight : Dark Forces 2 was the 1998 game of the year for quite a lot of publications. That was another nice game, the first game that I played with 3D acceleration.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom