Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fantasy Grand Strategy Game

Destroid

Arcane
Paradox games are quite popular. The game doesn't need to be a work of art, but downright ugly is a real turn off, even for strategy fans.

MoLAoS

Paradox games are quite popular. The game doesn't need to be a work of art, but downright ugly is a real turn off, even for strategy fans.
Paradox games are not really the same at all. EU4 is abstracted into the stratosphere mechanics wise. Also compare sales of their earlier games before they had name recognition and marketing budget. They were not exactly making a crap ton of money.

I think Magicka sold something like 1million copies which is more than any of the GSGs based on some checking I did. And again, that's with abstracted dumbed down mechanics and solid marketing plus years of building up a player base in a genre with pretty much 0 competition, none at all if you dump turn based games like Dominions1-4 out of it. And a large number of buyers dumped the games after only a few hours.

sbb

Learned
Just tone down the colors and it'll look totally fine... seriously, they're revolting

MoLAoS

Just tone down the colors and it'll look totally fine... seriously, they're revolting
That's just so I know which one is which. The actual map won't look like that. I was originally gonna use that map in an EU4 mod, and you had to color each province a unique color so the map would load.

sbb

Learned
That's just so I know which one is which. The actual map won't look like that. I was originally gonna use that map in an EU4 mod, and you had to color each province a unique color so the map would load.
Ah, gotcha. My bad.

MoLAoS

I am currently doing the code to colonize a new province. I haven't got the combat code going but that'll be added in later. Currently a province with less than 5000 population can be colonized with no combat needed. You will need to be able to send 10000 colonists without dropping any of your other provinces below 10000 population. Currently the code decides where to pull pop from, later you will establish an expedition with pop and supplies taken from provinces you select. Could be from anywhere, although the expedition time is based on how far the farthest parts of the expedition deploy from.

MoLAoS

Wow its been a whole year since I posted this. My job has prevented me from working on it as much as I'd like but I'm back at it. I'm sure some of you were following my idea threads.

Anyways update on the game. I have quite a bit of work done. Basic functions are running but I wouldn't call it fun currently. Right now I am waiting for the game to load to test interface improvements. God I hate working on the interface.

I have enabled the event system, characters, populations, provinces, bare bones military stuff. I enabled a large part of the magic system. Aside from the interface I am currently trying to get character interaction up and running more completely. I am working on the early phase of the game first so some of the more involved features will be mostly inert until the map is filled by nation states and history and interactions start popping up.

In the early phase its more similar to a KoDP start than a standard 4x. You'll be getting various events and interacting with various characters. You start in a single province with several other tribes, potentially of many other races. You'll need to unite the province under your rule to establish your nation. You'll be able to make expeditions into other provinces and attempt to rule over them or just migrate to a new province. But of course moving population into a new province before securing your rule limits your ability to expend power to control your starting province.

Anyways I hope to have an alpha version in a couple weeks. Still gotta make the fun loop as tight as possible considering the possibilities though.

MoLAoS

Random picture of incomplete character information interface.

bARYIbC.png

The 9 icons were each made in about 5 seconds as placeholders:
Fire
Wind
Water
Stone
Light
Darkness
Enchanting
Forging
Summoning

MoLAoS

I figured I'd post a little update of something I'm working on right now.

I developed the concept of "Knowledge" as a character aspect in a previous game attempt. The way it works is this:
A character has knowledge of various things which affect his capabilities in the game and he can study and research to improve this knowledge.

In the specific case of this game characters have knowledge of history culture and language of groups they associate with. Knowing these things boosts the opinion of various groups about the character. It increases the effectiveness of propaganda. Choosing to become educated in and potentially admiring of another culture has various benefits and also downsides. Other characters and populations with various beliefs may approve or disapprove of the value of other groups. Much like choosing an official religion, having multiple official languages changes opinions, leads to revolts or integration etc.

Knowledge also has other uses but this is one of the primary examples. Cultures and languages are more than simplistic strings denoting unchangeable qualities. The reasons for characters to embrace other languages and cultures can be personal or political.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Shouldn't this be in Codex Workshop?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom