Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3 vs Ultima 9

Which one is worse?

• Ultima 9

Votes: 77 57.9%
  • Fallout 3

Votes: 56 42.1%

• Total voters

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Ultima 9, in addition to being complete ruination of the franchise, is also a broken, unfun, shoddily-made, rushed game outright. Even if it wasn't a slap in the face as far as lore and story go, it'd still be just bad. At least Fallout 3 can be enjoyable if you ignore the lore and story stuff. Seems like a no-brainer.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's not a no brainer. At least u9 killed its series and didn't create a rush of pathetic clones and piles of money for a undeserving company selling infantile shit as a serious business rpg forever warping even more the 'AAA' market.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
It's not a no brainer. At least u9 killed its series and didn't create a rush of pathetic clones and piles of money for a undeserving company selling infantile shit as a serious business rpg forever warping even more the 'AAA' market.
We got New Vegas because of Fallout 3. I consider that a win.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I hate Fallout 3 with a burning passion. I despise it as any other codexer. In fact I think it's even worse than Oblivion.

Yet I must acknowledge, that comparing to u9 it's quite passable. Even lore-wise it seems less insulting to me. At least its lore wasn't raped by the same man who had created it. Fuckin' Lord British, what have you done?!

DeepOcean

Arcane
Well Ultima 9 was a terrible Ultima game, shoddy, buggy and stupid but Fallout 3 isn't even a Fallout game it's an abomination made for the degenerate Bethesda fan base, I think it's easy to know who is worse.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Since we haven't had many great games in the last few years, I guess it's appropriate to turn the discussion into which games sucked worse.

I voted for Ultima 9. Although Fallout 3 had a lot of derp moments, such as a town built around an unexploded nuclear device, Elder Scroll vampires shoehorned in, and forced idiotic suicide at the end (metaphor for the series?), Fallout 3 was at least playable with few truly crippling bugs. Ultima 9 on the other hand was full of derp at the get-go, from EA product placement, to what it did to the virtues, and companions like Julia, Dupre, Gwenno and Iolo getting absolutely abused by the writers. Also, the game was almost unplayable combat-wise due to really bad camera angles and awkward controls. Throw in the many bugs and you have to wonder how it was allowed to be published at all. Fallout 3 almost had me quit at the vampire quest (cannibals), but I pushed on through despite the stupid because I liked enough of some of the other parts of the game. I almost quit at the very end because I thought the ending they were forcing me into was too retarded to allow. Then I figured I came that far and I might as well see the train wreck of how the game was going to end. I rage quit Ultima 9 after I saw what they did to Iolo.

Koschey

Arcane
I think the 'vs' is misleading, as if Fallout 3 and Ultima 9 were somehow opposed to each other when obviously, they are both part of a conspiracy to make people with :obviously: tastes suffer.

When deciding what's worse, 'What's a paladin?' or Three Dog, I have to choose Three Dog though. Also, what SCO said.

sea: I know it's mostly speculative, but I think even if Bethesda hadn't gotten the rights to Fallout, either Troika or Obsidian would still have gotten a shot at making another Fallout game. Now imagine New Vegas without the Fallout 3 engine.

Comte

Ultima IX is one the biggest disappointments I have ever had with a computer game. I wish they kept the original plot.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
sea: I know it's mostly speculative, but I think even if Bethesda hadn't gotten the rights to Fallout, either Troika or Obsidian would still have gotten a shot at making another Fallout game. Now imagine New Vegas without the Fallout 3 engine.
Maybe, but that's purely hypothetical. Who knows, maybe Obsidian would think nobody cares about Fallout after Van Buren and it's not worth resurrecting, or maybe no publisher would want to fund a game using the Fallout license.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yea, it's not even a contest. Fallout 3 is playable, "merely" really stupid when it comes to its writing. And at least it had the common decency to stay on the opposite end of the continent, nicely separate from the old games (Harold aside).

Ultima 9 on the other hand is like getting kicked in the balls every minute while you're playing it, even if you don't give a shit about Ultima.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
I hate Fallout 3 with a burning passion. I despise it as any other codexer. In fact I think it's even worse than Oblivion.
Slow
the fuck
down
:lol: Agreed that on it's own Oblivion is a way shittier game, but Fallout 3 being a Fallout game makes it all the more awful to me.
Fallout 3 isn't Fallout, but since it was my first Fallout, I didn't know that. What I saw when I played it was a retro-futuristic, post-apolocalyptic, hybrid sandbox RPG with satirical patriotic elements reinforcing the feeling of a fallen golden-age, cold-war empire. It was ultimately derpy but held my interest with competent gameplay and the atmosphere it evoked. To anyone that had played the original Fallouts, what they saw was a giant Bethesda asshole rocketing Yoohoo into their mouths and eyes.

On the other hand, Oblivion's gameplay is completely broken and I simply cannot comprehend the points of view of people who think otherwise.

competent gameplay
:hmmm:
atmosphere
I've read that atmosphere shit to the point where I can't help but immediately cringe. Anyway, we're saying the same thing, I'm saying Oblivion is a steaming turd, and Fallout 3 is better, but still pretty shitty. What sets them apart is that 3 also raped a franchise, completely changed the core gameplay for the worse, and at the same time owes everything that anyone cares about to the original franchise.

Whenever I ask someone what's great about FO3 they give me a big list of things taken from the first games. It's just easier to say that Fallout 3 is a great IP and Bethesda certainly didn't fuck it up as bad as BoS, if FO3 was called Fallout: Capital Wasteland I would probably hate it much less.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I choose Rapture. Living in a decaying dystopia full of homicidal maniacs is better than playing either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom