Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 1 patches

v1rus

Arcane
I've decided to give Fallout 1 another spin, been quite a long time since i played it. So, straight question - any community patches/mods (restoration projects?) worth mentioning? And how much do they really add back to the game?

pippin

Look for the modding guides in GOG's forums. Most of the relevant mods are found in NMA.

Comte

Does fixt add in the missing children?

Sent from my Mercury 4.5 using Tapatalk

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, Fixt is pretty much the only one you'll ever need.
No.
I'm uninstalling Fixt again after having arrived at Junktown and bumping into weird, nonsensical dialogues there.
Also the Skum Pit bar was completely broken (visited it by day, the back entrance was open), missing NPCs so the Skullz gang quest there went nowhere. Dunno if that's a vanilla bug though.

edit: Turns out the weird dialogue is from the original game. Seems the writers tried to be edgy and made you use stupid slang and unprovoked insults on a least 2 occasions (the guard captain and the boxer when that guy is outside of the ring).
Didn't bother me a few years ago, but does now.

Going with the TeamX patches anyway.

edit:
One nice thing FIXT introduced was the take all shortcut in loot containers. I miss it already.
Other than that it added content I didn't ask for. In FIXT full installation there's a merchant in Shady Sands selling a scout book and a lot of melee weapons. Nothing too unbalanced but adding stuff like that makes me worry about the rest. Why is that merchant even there? It's not needed and there isn't even a caravan nearby, the guy is just standing on the street selling stuff.
Another really major thing I noticed is that FIXT fills up your HP when leveling up making the game noticeable less difficult in the early stage. WTF!
:rpgcodex:

edit:
I still can't say if the mod broke the Skum Pit. Fact is that that Skullz gang member standing around there even when it's closed tried to attack the waitress while she wasn't there. That was weird and might have been a vanilla bug. Couldn't reproduce it without FIXT though.

edit2: One good thing that I believe FIXT does besides introducing the take all button/key is putting new items you collected at the top of your inventory. Not sure though, but I think it did. And didn't it allow you to use the mouse wheel to scroll through the inventory too?
Whatever, vanilla Fallout inventory is utterly retarded.

Last edited:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Ok, I think I got it all set up nicely now.

As I wrote I don't use FIXT, I'll go with the TeamX patches and sfall instead.

I downloaded 1.2 english and 1.3 english (is 1.3.5 really) from their russian website and unpacked both in the game folder.
It might also be a good idea to install their NPC and Dogmeat patches (NPC patch plus fix) but I didn't know about that before starting a new game and now it's too late for it.
And if you can't live without town invasions there's the Fallout Restoration Project on the site I just linked for stuff like that.
I don't care about that though.

High Res Patch is already installed in the GOG version so no need for that.

Then I added the Fallout 1 child patch to get the annoying brats back.

Last and most important thing for convenience is installing Timeslip's Engine Tweaks in the 1.18e version.
Seems like this is an early version of Sfall. Sadly the newest Sfall isn't compatible to Fallout 1 so it has to be the one I linked to.

The sfall version here (sfall1.7z) might work too but for me it doesn't, it just complains that it can't find Win95 or some shit like that and quits again.
The one I linked to above includes an sfall.dll file and for that to work you have to hex edit falloutw.exe like pointed out in the readme. I didn't change anything in the ddraw.ini file, the High Res Patch seems to be the thing that decides graphic settings.

After that you have the original Fallout experience with hopefully all bugs squashed and with mouse wheel in inventory function and also with the middle mouse button working as a switch weapons key. Sadly still no take all button/key.

You have to start the game from the falloutw.exe file for the mouse wheel to work though, GOG launcher links to falloutwHR.exe for some reason. I just replaced that file with a copy of falloutw.exe, so now the launcher works too.

edit: You don't need sfall or Timeslip's Engine Tweaks or whatever it's called though, making this even easier to install.
No Hex editing, just the 2 TeamX patches and whatever you else you want.

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Why go through all that trouble? FIXT just works. Just played through with it. Junktown worked perfectly. Perfect mod, everything works, never saw anything broken or buggy. And the restored content is ace. Eh.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Why go through all that trouble? FIXT just works. Just played through with it. Junktown worked perfectly. Perfect mod, everything works, never saw anything broken or buggy. And the restored content is ace. Eh.
It might work. But it also adds stuff I don't want (Shady Sands merchant, HP refilling on levelup) and at least one example of broken dialogue.
edit:
The shitty dialogue isn't caused by Fixt. It's in the vanilla game already. I guess Fallout is a bit overrated, because the writing is ... well, at least a bit uneven and the combat doesn't really make up for it either.
Things that didn't bother me years ago because the presentation and the whole package are still great but are minor annoyances now.

And it wasn't trouble really. Hex editing that sfall.dll reference in is done in less than a minute and the only hassle I had with the whole setup was finding the mods. NMA are a bunch of faggots, you can't download mods there if you aren't registered.
So I linked them in case anyone else wants to have a less intrusive alternative to FIXT.

If you're happy with FIXT then good for you. ;)

edit:
I restarted again, this time with that TeamX restoration project and the NPC mod I mentioned.
Am in Junktown again and I was able to reproduce that broken scene in the Skum Pitt bar.
None of the unofficial patches cause it but none of them fix it either.
After talking to Shark and picking the last and then (with a little luck so he doesn't attack you instead) the 2. dialogue choice (wreck the place) he opens combat and attacks Trish, the waitress.
The thing is, when the bar is closed (but the backdoor is open) Trish isn't even in the room. So he kills an invisible ghost. :lol:

Last edited:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Great, now I'm having crashes at the cathedral vault door.

2LkSkw4.jpg

And I have these crashes both with the TeamX patches and with FIXT.
Meaning I even reinstalled FIXT, started a new game and went the quickest possible route to the cathedral (stealing and lockpicking and not much else).

When I approach these mutant guards there without the disguise robes then the game crashes like that.
If I wear the robes it works.
What the fuck did I install these useless unofficial patches for if not for shit like that ffs?! :argh:

Uninstalling FIXT again. It messes with my desktop icon settings, increasing them to 125% (which I always do) makes everything tiny using FIXT, don't have that problem with the other setup.

Back to clobbering everything to pulp with my patented POWER FIST OF DOOM plus fast shot (thx for pointing out that build, Pope Amole II . 1AP for roughly 10 to 20 damage even on armored enemies. Lots of fun indeed).

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Fixt is not perfect. I used the settings to have mutant invasions into the game. What happened was that I traveled to the BoS, and the place was destroyed. I traveled once again to the BoS, this time going straight underground, and the place was intact, but they were hostile to me for no reason. Of course, once I exited the place, everyone was dead.

Other than that, it's bretty good, thankfully a lot of things are customizable.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Exploring the Glow right now.
This is where this game shines, the military bases, vaults, research labs full of government secrets and robots, artificial intelligences and other wonders of science.
:love:

Can't say the same about the settlements and the NPCs in them though.
As much as people love to give flak to Fallout 2 for all the silly shit I don't remember as many stupid tonal switches in the dialogues there as I came across here. But maybe that's just me and my bad memory.
Also a lot of NPCs (like Gizmo for instance) have way too little background. It all still works of course but the quests and town hubs despite being full of C&C leave me rather unimpressed. A lot of it feels a bit rushed.
Well, they still should get credit for starting the C&C hype I guess.

edit:
Just stumbled over a holotape mentioning 2 pairs of escaped FEV-mutated racoons.
So they originally wanted to have talking racoons in the game.
4D2ctFu.png

I want my racoons back!
Modders, stop making useless patches that don't patch shit and mod these little buggers in!
I mean pretty please.

Last edited:

sgm

Educated
I really like what Suidbek did this mod. I've played it, but I don't recommend it at all for a first play. The Purist install option really isn't that. It contains A LOT of changes from the original. Tag Energy weapons, Stealth and Big Guns (just for the hell of it) and this is what you could get at the start of the game on Normal difficulty.
PuHKR18.png

Mod seriously needs a better option for fixes only and not :balance:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
GOG version already has the High Res patch locked and loaded.

edit: At least the old version I bought a while ago did. Dunno if it's still the case for the new one they offer now after they had to take the classic Fallouts down for a while.

Dunno about Encounter Tweaker, random encounters weren't that rare in my playthrough (finished it yesterday, short and nice little game, needed that fix :)) but I guess the TeamX patches also fix them.

And I didn't even realize the starting equipment changes because I chose unarmed for my attempt with FIXT.
Melee is playable too, the knockback on enemies is annoying, but you can get around it by always having some obstacle behind them so they cannot slide away. Bonus moves helps a lot for circling around them without AP loss.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
and this is what you could get at the start of the game on Normal difficulty.

WTF. That needs an emoticon on its own, like a mix between :balance: and :retarded:

I bet there's some hilarious RATIONALE in the readme about it, like with the other dumb changes.

Though I'm still waiting for the RATIONALE behind removing Tim Cain's face from the icon, I have a feeling it goes like "it's because I could, lol imma moder".

sgm

Educated
Aah, that's nice.. But where ammo from?

You get the ammo at start. On high difficulty you get none other than 10mm AP. It's all in the changelog. Also, many Perks and Traits are changed. Again, this is all in the "Purist" install.

and this is what you could get at the start of the game on Normal difficulty.

WTF. That needs an emoticon on its own, like a mix between :balance: and :retarded:

I bet there's some hilarious RATIONALE in the readme about it, like with the other dumb changes.

Though I'm still waiting for the RATIONALE behind removing Tim Cain's face from the icon, I have a feeling it goes like "it's because I could, lol imma moder".

Modders gonna mod.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Fuck me, I just realized that you don't even need sfall to get the mouse wheel functionality.
There are settings in the f1_res.ini file that comes with the High Res patch for that:

Under [Input]
change ALT_MOUSE_INPUT to 1
for the mouse wheel scrolling

and under [Other_Settings]
INV_ADD_ITEMS_AT_TOP has to be set to 1 too for used and new items to appear at the top of the inventory.

So no Hex editing at all necessary.
Just some simple ini switches that these dumbfucks over at GOG missed.

Only thing still sorely missing is an option to push NPCs out of the doorway like in Fallout 2

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I'm playing it with fixt patch (purist installation) and the game is more buggy than original. At least i don't remember such bugs in those times.
Junktown's quests are fucked up.
Minor issue with Skulz gang is that automatically after Neal shots the guy in the face in bar, i already ''have quest'' to retrieve the urn from the counter even though i didn't even speak with the leader yet. Not a big issue, but confusing. And it doesn't allow me to just say fuck off to him. The quest activates right away.
The dialogues with Saul and Trish are totally random. Sometimes dialogues options about their relationship appear, sometimes not. Had to reload several times to get it done.
Dogmeat has stopped involving himself at all since Junktown. He transits to new locations and just stand on the edge of the map all the time. I have Ian and Tycho with me too. They're ok.
Some other i forgot.
Since i played Fallout without guides or anything first time around, i can ascertain that those particular issues weren't there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom