Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 1.5: Resurrection - fanmade Fallout game by Czechs

Black

Arcane
Where do I find Clint in Corath?
He's in one of the buildings in the iron district.

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
Just Finished Corath, haven't moved into Albuquerque yet. Some thoughts:
  • It's a very decent piece of work.
  • City design is a bit problematic, too much open space in the edges, could be better.
  • Plenty of dialogue and quests, but overall seems underwhelming so far, no memorable characters. Absence of talking heads probably contributes to that.
  • Definitely recommend to give it a shot, I know I'll keep playing and see what comes next.

Turrul

Augur
  • City design is a bit problematic, too much open space in the edges, could be better.
  • Plenty of dialogue and quests, but overall seems underwhelming so far, no memorable characters. Absence of talking heads probably contributes to that.
  • Definitely recommend to give it a shot, I know I'll keep playing and see what comes next.

Corath is kinda underwhelming when you compare it to Albuquerque, just wait until you get there.

Black

Arcane
I liked Corath if only because of the Nestor vs Uncle questline if you're on Nestor side. That showdown is quite good.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
guys what settings do you have in ddraw.ini and f2_res.ini for resolution and directx? because the game runs real slow

Saduj

Arcane
Inb4 ambush -> burst fire ends his Ironman run.

:lol:

Yeah, the ghoul encounters can be pretty brutal. More than once I've started out an encounter completely surrounded with a ghoul in power armor carrying a minigun standing right next to me .... and he acts first. And it happens on caravan runs where you can't Outdoorsman your way out of it too...

I think I'm nearing the end of the game now. One thing that was a little disappointing is that the game seemed to be surprisingly morally ambiguous before I got to Albuquerque. I had negative karma pretty late into this game but I never felt like I was going out of my way to be "evil". I knew some of the things I was doing would be considered "bad" by the karma system but in most cases the alternative wasn't that much better from a moral standpoint. I was barely in the positive when I got to Albuquerque and only because the karma system really likes when you kill raiders. Now I'm a "Shield of Hope", as usual. Maybe its because I unintentionally locked myself out of the Mutant Hunter quests by choosing to do to other things first.

The other thing is that the main quest seems to be barely there. With the exception of what I learned at Falcon Flight, everything I know now could have been learned by randomly stumbling into Albuquerque. This is mostly fine with me as I don't like overbearing questlines in open world games. But I'm pretty sure that I'm a couple of hours from completing this and I still don't have any idea what the end goal is....

That aside, the overall quality is still really high for a fan mod. More people should be playing this.

Black

Arcane
Which reminds me, you always get the one ghoul encounter when they talk at you and they start combat first. Always.
Meaning
IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO TOTALLY AVOID COMBAT IN FALLOUT 1.5

Saduj

Arcane
Anyone else finish the Imperial quest line before finishing the Tribal quests?

I sided with Aran, which means that at some point, my next trip to the Dead Quarter would involve being ambushed by the dwarf from Wild Paradise and 4-5 goons. I also still had the "find out who is kidnapping the Tribals" quest open (BTW, that is the shittiest "mystery" in the game by far), which means that all the slavers in the Dead Quarter were still alive. The game has the dwarf and his gang and the slavers on the same team. So I had to fight all of them at once. As far as I could tell, there was no way to complete the Tribal quest without entering the Dead Quarter and triggering this mega fight. (Maybe entering the map from the Imperial City allows you to just fight the dwarf without drawing agro from slavers?) Reloaded once so I could leave the dog behind because trying to keep him alive through that is futile. Ended up getting hammer smashed and sliding into the little building where that guy is selling human kabobs. Decided it was OK to use doorway exploit if the enemy is the one who put me in position to do it. Ended up killing the dwarf's gang, all the slavers except the two who were the furthest away and the main doctor all in one fight. Took forever but was oddly satisfying.

Also, for those who did the Vault 16 quest:

Is there any way to clear the 2nd floor without killing 20 'aliens' in the first fight? I know the commander tells you that you can try the nerve gas thing, but it seemed to me that any time you engage an alien in combat, which is going to happen almost immediately, the rest of the map automatically swarms you.

Last edited:

Black Angel

Arcane
Yep he was at the Lost Town at night in south-eastern corner
He's there all day long, baby.

Yeah, it's kind of decent at best and the city design kind of could be better. But the some characters were memorable though, like
Vodka
. Have you meet him?

And, oh boy, ain't you in for some pleasure and surprises when you arrive in Albuquerque.

guys what settings do you have in ddraw.ini and f2_res.ini for resolution and directx? because the game runs real slow
I used agris method to make the game looks closer to how it looks as it was meant to be.

I agree with what epeli said, except instead of setting the game to 2x scaler, set it to 960x540. That will keep the font from looking fucked up because its a perfect 1:4 pixel mapping onto 1920x1080. You won't split the rendering of the low resolution font and graphics onto anisotropic subpixels, which is what makes low resolution games scaled to high look both blurry and sharp at the same time.

To be clear, in draw.ini set graphics mode to 4 or 5 (5 and playing with borderless gaming is superior for multi monitor users IMO, mouse is still trapped in window until you alt-tab), the resolution to your desktop's native 1920x1080, and GPUBlt=1. That's it for ddraw.

In f2_res.ini, set graphics_mode=0 which passes along game window resolution control to ddraw. Put scale_2x=0, and set the screen resolution to 960 and 540 (600 for :obviously: 16:10 owners). For fullscreen colors, set it to 8, and all the other graphics options are the same. Windowed does not need to be set to 1 in the subsequent options if you're using dx9 windowed mode, ddraw will handle that.

edit: for reference, this is how those settings make the game look:

OBASfmy.jpg

Qk8GdFO.jpg
Runs so smooth like a nice ass. If it doesn't work, try to follow ghostdog's advice:
For anyone wanting to play the game in windowed borderless fullscreen with a viewpoint close to the original:

Go to the installation folder, open f2_res.ini with a text editor and set:
SCALE_2X=1 to scale the game x2.
WINDOWED=1 to enable windowed mode.
WINDOWED_FULLSCREEN=1 to enable windowed borderless fullscreen.

You can also set:
IFACE_BAR_SIDES_ORI=1 for a better looking UI.

I think I'm nearing the end of the game now. One thing that was a little disappointing is that the game seemed to be surprisingly morally ambiguous before I got to Albuquerque. I had negative karma pretty late into this game but I never felt like I was going out of my way to be "evil". I knew some of the things I was doing would be considered "bad" by the karma system but in most cases the alternative wasn't that much better from a moral standpoint. I was barely in the positive when I got to Albuquerque and only because the karma system really likes when you kill raiders. Now I'm a "Shield of Hope", as usual. Maybe its because I unintentionally locked myself out of the Mutant Hunter quests by choosing to do to other things first.
Wait, really? I thought there's no karma increase/decrease for killing stuff?

Which reminds me, you always get the one ghoul encounter when they talk at you and they start combat first. Always.
Meaning
IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO TOTALLY AVOID COMBAT IN FALLOUT 1.5
Do it like a noob (me) and spam 'A' button. That said, in that particular first encounter with the Rebirth's ghouls, combat always started by them, so having 10 AGI really, really helps me to quickly run to the exit grid, and successfully prevent Mutt from being killed.

Anyone else finish the Imperial quest line before finishing the Tribal quests?

I sided with Aran, which means that at some point, my next trip to the Dead Quarter would involve being ambushed by the dwarf from Wild Paradise and 4-5 goons. I also still had the "find out who is kidnapping the Tribals" quest open (BTW, that is the shittiest "mystery" in the game by far), which means that all the slavers in the Dead Quarter were still alive. The game has the dwarf and his gang and the slavers on the same team. So I had to fight all of them at once. As far as I could tell, there was no way to complete the Tribal quest without entering the Dead Quarter and triggering this mega fight. (Maybe entering the map from the Imperial City allows you to just fight the dwarf without drawing agro from slavers?) Reloaded once so I could leave the dog behind because trying to keep him alive through that is futile. Ended up getting hammer smashed and sliding into the little building where that guy is selling human kabobs. Decided it was OK to use doorway exploit if the enemy is the one who put me in position to do it. Ended up killing the dwarf's gang, all the slavers except the two who were the furthest away and the main doctor all in one fight. Took forever but was oddly satisfying.
The slavers won't do shit, except if a stray bullet from you hit one of them, so don't worry, you only have the mercs to deal with. If you're not sure, enter the Dead Quarter from the MH's quarter or the Imperial City (yes, this would be surefire way to not agro the slavers) to trigger the fight with the mercs on those parts, instead of right in front of the hospital.

Also, for those who did the Vault 16 quest:

Is there any way to clear the 2nd floor without killing 20 'aliens' in the first fight? I know the commander tells you that you can try the nerve gas thing, but it seemed to me that any time you engage an alien in combat, which is going to happen almost immediately, the rest of the map automatically swarms you.
Although I've never done it that way, I assume you can, since I remembered interacting with a terminal there. However, what I do want to know is if we could go through it without having to spam 'A' button.
valcik ?

valcik

Arcane
Yes, this can be done with high enough sneak skill. Incredibly high!

Saduj

Arcane
Wait, really? I thought there's no karma increase/decrease for killing stuff?

I didn't do a proper test but I did check my karma frequently and it sure seemed to me that some kills provided positive karma. Might be a thing where only certain quest related kills are positve. Most of the raiders I killed were quest related. I also receive positive karma from the Fredryck's Dream special run - I assumed for killing raiders - but maybe that run itself is considered good karma.

Also, regarding the slavers getting hostile during the dwarf fight - in my case the fight started right in front of the clinic and one of the slavers shot at me before I had acted. I do think approaching from another direction would have prevented this though.

Saduj

Arcane
Finished this last night. Seemed to me that there is a minimal competence in Science required in order to finish the final area without combat even with very high Speech.

I couldn't get past the guy who registers new members using Speech, which was over 150. My science was 87 and I couldn't hack the computer to add myself as a new member. Used some spare skill points to bring Science to 103 or so and was able to add myself as a new user. Not sure if the minimum for that check is 90 or 100. From there I could used Speech to get through the rest of the final area, with the exception of pick pocketing the red ID card from Feargus (there is probably another way around that).

Black

Arcane
There definitely is karma changes for killing "evil/good" dudes.

valcik

Arcane
There's nifty function in sfall (ddraw.ini) for monitoring any karma changes in your message box, guys:
Code:
DisplayKarmaChanges=1

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
Seriously the merchant shortage of caps and generally the amount of caps you find is annoying.

Caps, motherfucker, do you speak it?!?!?

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
So I started reading this thread but it gets a bit 'spoilerish' so I have a question, is it possible to play this with melee only and actually have fun combat and survive fights (not just running or sneaking to avoid combat)?

From what I could see it sounds like they have changed the combat so its even more deadly than F1/2? But Im keen to do a bruiser sledge bashing play through!

It's not pleasant. In general weapons and overall encounters are at FO2 level of deadliness or stronger (due to ammo change), but defenses are at FO1 level (no improved versions of armor, low character levels = low health, no implants and other stuff). Also no Jet to buff yourself up bigtime and NPCs are more FO1-like in their strength and the number you can have. Psycho is still really powerful though and can get you through lots of the game.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Thats disapointing, one of the few things I disliked in Fallout was the small guns being mostly being better than the other weapon skills, I guess F2 actually made that even worse, and now it seems like this mod has not really fixed it. In fact even making it harder if you dont focus on small guns.

I did always hate that miniguns either did 0 damage to armored enemies, or if you crit they would do 10,000... Maybe that has been fixed by the balancing?

laclongquan

Arcane
The hospital map.
It's better to trigger the fight entering from Hunter's quarter. You can move to the wall northward and draw them toward you, meaning 2 turns of minimum fire on your companions. Mutt must be left behind of course, as there is almost no way to keep him safe.

Thats disapointing, one of the few things I disliked in Fallout was the small guns being mostly being better than the other weapon skills, I guess F2 actually made that even worse, and now it seems like this mod has not really fixed it. In fact even making it harder if you dont focus on small guns.

I did always hate that miniguns either did 0 damage to armored enemies, or if you crit they would do 10,000... Maybe that has been fixed by the balancing?

Well one good thing about FO1.5 is that infinitely buyable small guns books come pretty early, so you don't really need to tag the skill. High perception + 100ish small guns is enough to burst at mid range decently.

Burst weapons in general are better with AP ammo vs. anything that isn't Power Armor. Power Armor still almost requires crits, very high powered weapons, or weapons with inherent armor ignoring ability. Though I think a Minigun + stacking the bonus damage per bullet perks could put some kind of dent in them with AP ammo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom