Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europa Universalis IV

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Overall seems like people complain about things that will get modded in the first two days. Yes, vanilla may be too easy due to claiming and coring/culture changing being so cheap but first mod coming out will increase the cost. And vanilla EU3 was easy anyway. Hopefully there are no deeper issues.

Grinolf

Arcane
Wait for the Byzantium - Phoenix Rising DLC first.

But it would be given for free as preorder bonus.
I feel that monarch power is kinda semi-realistic, as in history the monarchs really did shape their empire. And in the times of weak ones the empires would crumble.
That said, there are way to offset monarch power by getting high lv advisers so it dosent seem that bad
But problem there, that even in that time period very few monarchs had actually an absolute power, and it was gained by combination of their abilities with right circumstances. In most cases they were limited by various groups of interest and sometimes there was a person who was much more powerful than a king. So it isn't realistic playing as country and not have an ability to do something with your monarch aside making him a general with hope, that he will die in some battle. And in game files there is at least one ruler, who was classified by game as a very bad ruler, but in fact didn't rule anything at all. And period of his "ruling" even claimed to be moderately successful.

Cassidy

Arcane
First of all, nothing short of a real SECOND COMING(TM) being Steam-exclusive, and even that by quite a stretch, would ever convince me to use that piece of shit called Steamworks, and this game is definitively very far from that.

Played a new game, this time as Oyo. Took over most of west africa

Not that doing such was ever much of a problem for experienced players, but if Paradox thought they could push the "5%" like me that wants DRM-free games into bending to their retarded decision and still buying it Steam only for the sake of such a wondrously easy map painting faggotry, fuck them. I hope this goes on STEAM SALES very, very soon and make them regret it.

trade mechanics[...]favor large nations far too much

So Hansa small countries will need ridiculous bonuses to have their strengths properly represented, nice. And AI as dumb as always, if it is even possible to conquer most of West Africa with Oyo.

To conclude my point of view, from reading the impressions of the demo here: inferior to Europa Universalis III with Mare Apertum mod, as I predicted, and with some probably hardcoded new game mechanics being questionable at best.

Therefore, unless they change their mind and sell DRM-free copies, not going to buy it, ever.

Cassidy

Arcane
You apparently cannot into Steam sales, because Steam sales don't cause regret. They cause joy for all involved!

Paradox Games can't really ever reach the same volume of sales of an indie hipster platformer. They aren't that mass marketable. Which means them being sold too soon for a lower price will cut down their total revenue. But apparently Paradox thinks otherwise. I'd rather not lose even more hope in humanity by assuming the majority of Steam users will impulse buy any game on sales without even reading what the game is about.

Humppaleka

Cipher
Can someone smarter than me clarify how does pre-ordering from the Paradox Web Shop work, do they email you the key when it is available or what? Also, haven't received any keys for Crusader Kings 2, wonder if that will come too when the actual game is released.

:superfastedit: Also really excited about the game even if I'll barely have the time to play this... All I ask is EU 3 made better and I'll spend hundreds of hours on this.

Multi-headed Cow

You apparently cannot into Steam sales, because Steam sales don't cause regret. They cause joy for all involved!

Paradox Games can't really ever reach the same volume of sales of an indie hipster platformer. They aren't that mass marketable. Which means them being sold too soon for a lower price will cut down their total revenue. But apparently Paradox thinks otherwise. I'd rather not lose even more hope in humanity by assuming the majority of Steam users will impulse buy any game on sales without even reading what the game is about.
http://www.polygon.com/features/2013/8/7/4554042/paradox-interactive-history
CK2 sells more copies now, per month than it did a year ago.

Impulse buying without looking at it or not, but multiple massive sales on CK2 and they still haven't saturated the market to the point they can't sell it any more.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Paradox games may be niche but the market in growing and they have a strong following so I don't see how being Steam exclusive would alter that. I bet that large majority of their sales come from Steam anyway.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Paradox games may be niche but the market in growing and they have a strong following so I don't see how being Steam exclusive would alter that. I bet that large majority of their sales come from Steam anyway.

95% sales are Steam sales from the numbers they gave.

hakuroshi

Augur

95% sales are Steam sales from the numbers they gave.

Seems to be true: for quite a time now majority of posts on their forum are idiotic, while membership doubled since 2011.

Emily

Arcane

you could always just buy it via steam or donate money somehow , and then play pirated copy instead.

Krash

Arcane
You can buy it via steam, then uninstall steam, and game will still work fine, fyi.

I'd also recommend to stop being a gigantic faggot and stop crying about steam.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Problem, fanboy?

I'd recommend you to stop overrating Paradox and look at the signs of what they are shaping as the future of their games.

Which are? I play their games since EU1 and dont see any bad signs other than actually playable releases.

Grinolf

Arcane
So Hansa small countries will need ridiculous bonuses to have their strengths properly represented, nice.

It was much more about landlocked OPM like Aachen or Ulm, than Hansa. First can forget about been significant traders if they not expand, but later has a very strong position even with relative small size.
Firstly, although it is better to control as much provinces as possible in important for one trade region, some provinces generate much more trade power than other.
So at the start of demo Hansa provinces generate from 10 to 20 tp, when almost all other provinces have 2 or 3 tp. There is only one arbitrary modifier, which gives +5 flat bonus to trade power. There are near 50 provinces, that have it, including 2 Hansa's. Also Bremen and Hamburg have + 10 tp for being placed in river estuary.
So despite being 3PM Hansa have trade power equal to country, that has 10-15 standard provinces. And there are only two important places in Lubeck trade node, that did not belong to Hansa. It is Danish capital, which has Sound Toll modifier, and capital of Pomerania which placed in Oder estuary.
Secondly, Hansa has a very large naval limit and starting fleet equal to Denmark one, which give significant boost to trade power.

Only problem with it, that now moders can't divide Hansa on proper three independent cities, without nerfing their capabilities. But maybe Paradox return to trade leagues mechanic somewhere in the future. Or modders will find how to implement it.

Krash

Arcane

Problem, fanboy?

Such wit.

Steam is the single most significant factor in the lowering of the ceiling of entry for game developers these last years. Sure, it's for business reasons, mostly, but thank you Gaben nonetheless. Also Steam is works fine and is almost hassle free. Deal with it.

I'd recommend you to stop overrating Paradox and look at the signs of what they are shaping as the future of their games.

If they start getting greedy with their dlc I'll just torrent them. Getting butthurt about it is pointless. But so far I'm pretty pleased.

Last edited:

hakuroshi

Augur
You can buy it via steam, then uninstall steam, and game will still work fine, fyi.

Can you confirm it? Their previous steam releases worked this way, but I could not find any definite information about EU4 except that you don't have to be online.
Anyway, game should be released now, so it would be simple to test. I won't getting it until sale at the least, and it would be great if someone prove that EU4 can run without Steam after install.

Multi-headed Cow

Can you confirm it? Their previous steam releases worked this way, but I could not find any definite information about EU4 except that you don't have to be online.
Anyway, game should be released now, so it would be simple to test. I won't getting it until sale at the least, and it would be great if someone prove that EU4 can run without Steam after install.
I won't go so far as to uninstall Steam (That's blasphemy!) but just going to the game's folder and launching without Steam running is the usual test. Which I can't do since it's not out yet.

Tomorrow/today though, if nobody beats me to it, I'll check and see if EU4 automatically fires up Steam or not for you. I'm betting it will since they're using Steamworks for the multiplayer and (According to the store page) including Steam achievements, but it's possible it won't.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom