Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Walden

Savant
I tried the master quest collection on the GC, but I prefer the N64 version with textures. In the GC version I also had some glitches in the inventory.

Btw, I tried The Godfather on pcsx2 but it has horrible issues like lights seen through the walls, also tried the Wii version, with more contenent but unplayable with xbox controller. I've got the console and those controller, but without the bar plugged in the pc it's useless.
Right, so i should just play the N64 version then? I really just want above 20 fps. I'm currently getting 26 fps with overclock.
Well, they're internal fps, but it plays well(still, I believe the GC version has less input lag, but it's been a while since I picked it out). On the n64 you can apply some texture packs though.

sullynathan

Arcane
I caved in and just played ocarina of time the way it was made. When I turned it up to go to 30fps, everything was just fast.

I'm quite impressed by ocarina of time. Controls very well with my PS3 controller and the game has pretty fun combat and gameplay but it is trapped by the old school Japanese design. There is no control over camera in third person and there is no jump button so you have this dumb thing where you automatically jump when you reach the edge of an area. It's annoying to use my nearly broken controller joystick to attack with certain items.

I like how the first dungeon utilizes all the gear you've gotten, it works well.

Devil may cry 1 runs very well though but feels like a resident evil game. I was surprised by how difficult the game is.

Metal gear solid 3 on the other hand is a weird game. Game runs poorly in cutscenes, then it runs at 60fps then drops to 30. The game speed is all over the place.
Now, the gameplay itself isn't very good. The shooting is awful and the stealth is rudimentary especially compared to Splinter Cell. Chaos theory came out 4 months after this game and looks, plays and runs better.

sullynathan

Arcane
Ocarina of time keeps crashing when I go to the menu to see songs. I don't know what to do. I can't play the original Legend of Zelda in the Collectors edition, the shit looks all weird and the controls don't work.

I tried the wind waker demo and the art style looks great, definitely aged well. The controls and combat also feels better and they added camera control, too bad there is still no jumping button.

How do I toggle fullscreen off in Dolphin after I turned it on? When I try to go back to dolphin, I am forced to force quit dolphin instead.

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
How do I toggle fullscreen off in Dolphin after I turned it on? When I try to go back to dolphin, I am forced to force quit dolphin instead.
Alt-tabbing doesn't work? I always have "Render to main screen" disabled and everything works fine.

tet666

Augur
Ocarina of time keeps crashing when I go to the menu to see songs. I don't know what to do. I can't play the original Legend of Zelda in the Collectors edition, the shit looks all weird and the controls don't work.

I tried the wind waker demo and the art style looks great, definitely aged well. The controls and combat also feels better and they added camera control, too bad there is still no jumping button.

Alt-Enter

sullynathan

Arcane
Alt-tabbing doesn't work? I always have "Render to main screen" disabled and everything works fine.
That doesn't work. Once it's full screen and I start playing, I end up having to ctrl alt delete

Alt-Enter
I'll try that

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

There's also a hotkey for pausing emulation and returning to the Dolphin gui. I think it's Esc, but my memory could be failing me.

sullynathan

Arcane
ok, so should I delete the Twilight princess Wii version and go for the gamecube version instead or does someone here have good configurations for an Xbox 360 controller for Wii?

flyingjohn

Arcane
ok, so should I delete the Twilight princess Wii version and go for the gamecube version instead or does someone here have good configurations for an Xbox 360 controller for Wii?
Just go for the gamecube version,minus motion controls you aren't missing anything.(there are graphical options on dolphin to make the game look better anyway)
And if you want a more hd version later on you can always play the wii-u version on cemu when it gets better performance.
Skyward sword is the only zelda game you can't emulate thanks to the motion plus requirements.

sullynathan

Arcane
So I downloaded Wind Waker and Twilight Princess for gamecube. TP looks worse than the Wii version but surprisingly, Twilight Princess runs the best of all the 3D Zelda games I download. It's a locked 30 fps, with no dip or slow down except when I first booted up the game. Wind Waker, has slow down here and there while Ocarina of time is 20 fps and can drop to 17. TP also allows me to skip cutscenes which is a huge :incline:

I was running into a problem where the horizontal camera for Wind Waker and TP was inverted, unfortunately neither game has any option for camera or almost anything so I just had to change the controls. I still like the inclusion of a free camera, it greatly helps when playing but I still don't like how there isn't a dedicated jump button. My controller isn't the best, so it still forces me to jump when I don't want to.

I like what both new games have done with towns, lot more people actually doing things in them but I would have preferred if each side of a town isn't sectioned off.
Overall, I find that I will like these Zelda games coming from a first timer.

I also tried Devil May Cry 3. The game runs well, locked at 60 with no dips and the combat is a big improvement over DMC 1. I still don't know why the devs continue to put the attack button for B or Triangle instead of X. It takes more effort to move your thumb in the way of the former. Anyway, I have run into a problem in which certain menus don't show up when you die or when the game shows a tutorial. I might just retry pirating the PC version and see if that one works.

tet666

Augur
Just go for the gamecube version,minus motion controls you aren't missing anything.(there are graphical options on dolphin to make the game look better anyway)
And if you want a more hd version later on you can always play the wii-u version on cemu when it gets better performance.
Skyward sword is the only zelda game you can't emulate thanks to the motion plus requirements.

Performance isn't really an issue for TP or Windwaker HD anymore in Cemu 1.6.0 i don't have an uber pc: I5, gtx 970 and the games run full speed everywhere (use host based timer in wind waker) the midi music in both still has issues especially in TP and stutters a bit (mod to disable midi music in TP: https://www.reddit.com/r/cemu/comments/55tctv/twilight_princess_hd_mute_music_mod/) and there is one bug in TP where the Boss door in the Goron Mines won't open which can be circumvented with the previous version 1.5.6 otherwise it's fully playable i'm in the last dungeon atm.
Cemu 1.6.1 releases this Saturday by the way and it should fix some of this stuff and also has another round of speed improvments (and Amiibo support which can be used to play a new dungeon in TP get the amiibo file here: http://nfc-bank.com/bins.php?do=download&downloadid=859).

And you can emulate Skyward Sword just fine in Dolphin it runs and looks fantastic especially with a texturepack(http://skyward-sword-remastered.tumblr.com/) you just need a sensorbar and a real wiimote with motion plus both are pretty cheap these days i recommend a Dolphinbar since it also includes a good easy to use bluetooth adapter but with the new bluetooth passtrough option in Dolphin any adapter should do.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
man, Crash bandicoot runs so poorly and is the most fucked game I downloaded so far. Okami runs great when you're actually playing but the game speed drops to 50% in dialogue and 30% in menus. I have found no way to remedy either problem.

I have seen videos of people playing Metroid Prime with a mouse & keyboard, does anyone know how I could get a similar control set up?

tet666

Augur
Okami shouldn't be a problem if you have a modern cpu/gpu and if you can't run that i would forget about playing Metroid Prime since it's a lot more demanding.

sullynathan

Arcane
Okami shouldn't be a problem if you have a modern cpu/gpu and if you can't run that i would forget about playing Metroid Prime since it's a lot more demanding.
Okami runs well, locked at 60 at my laptops resolution but when there's a cutscene or dialogue or I go into the menu, the game speed just drops like a rock.

tet666

Augur
Well doesn't happen for me which Dolphin version did you use? don't use the regular builds they are terribly outdated use the nightlys, maybe give Ishiiruka a try instead of regular Dolphin it's a lot better in my book and try a different renderer you could also give the ps2 version a go in PCSX2.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well doesn't happen for me which Dolphin version did you use? don't use the regular builds they are terribly outdated use the nightlys, maybe give Ishiiruka a try instead of regular Dolphin it's a lot better in my book and try a different renderer you could also give the ps2 version a go in PCSX2.
Hey thanks, I didn't know about this build. Using this and the experimental Vulkan renderer (because AMD's dx12 drivers are broken for my card), my ancient secondary system, Core 2 Quad + 7850 HD can run Metroid at full speed most of the time.

tet666

Augur
Hey thanks, I didn't know about this build. Using this and the experimental Vulkan renderer (because AMD's dx12 drivers are broken for my card), my ancient secondary system, Core 2 Quad + 7850 HD can run Metroid at full speed most of the time.

Great well just keep in mind that the Vulkan renderer is highly experimental so there are bound to be some problems with it.

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane
For anybody that was interested in cing games(hotel dusk.another code) a game by ex members called chase unsolved crimes has just been released and is playable and finish able in citra(just completed it).
Shame it is too short(less then an hour long,they are going the episodic route) and there is virtually no game play(you just select a option during investigations and point some stuff at a picture).

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
I use the dolphin 5.0, where can I get nightlys?

tet666

Augur
I use the dolphin 5.0, where can I get nightlys?

Scroll down on the downloads page?
Anyway you are much better off using Ishiiruka instead of regular Dolphin these days: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-unofficial-ishiiruka-dolphin-custom-version
It's always based on the newest Dev build and has all the good stuff (shaders,better lightning etc) while having much better performance as well thx to async shader generation and other stuff the Dolphin devs don't want to merge.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom