Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Redacted

Vertab Nukks

Educated
I posted a new request for players on Steam today since we are waiting for them, I am making a few minor updates for the 1.4 Mod and will post them to the official website before we start the game. One minor thing is that I noticed was that I put in the wrong tech code for Infantry Legion instead of composite are it gave you infantry when to researched flora and fauna. haha

Dayyālu

Arcane
I'll take the Hawkwoods. Tried the Mahometans, tried the East, time for the West.

One minor thing is that I noticed was that I put in the wrong tech code for Infantry Legion instead of composite are it gave you infantry when to researched flora and fauna. haha

It was noticed and wildly speculated upon.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I wish I knew how to play this game properly.

I hope you guys have fun and post an AAR.

Vertab Nukks

Educated
Dayyalu, Hawkwoods is yours, Jonathan asked for Li Halan, and Kalin wanted Hazat, I will take whichever one is not picked by the other players. Hopefully, in the next day or so we can start the new game. Also, Dayyalu can you PM me your email address so I can let everyone know when we Jab2121 our fifth players sends me his email and we can start.

Hyme

Literate
I will take al-malik i guess. Is Universal Warehouse off? Any house rules?

Vertab Nukks

Educated
We now have our five players now that Hyme (Jab2121 has arrived), I would like to use 1.5 since it is the culmination of improving on everything I thought needed to be in 1.4, and I played 1.4 quite a bit last year. Regarding Universal Warehouse I don't have a preference. Kalin, can you send out an group email to all of us to finalize the preferences since Jonathan is not on RPG Codex and with him being the Li Halan he will have to launch the game. Thanks.

Vertab Nukks

Educated
Noble Lords of the Known Worlds, my modding quest is done. May I present to you Emperor Wars Version 1.5!!!! (Trumpets Blaring!!!!!) Those of us starting the new game give it a test run before we begin! Download here: https://sites.google.com/site/emperorwarsfadingsuns/home

Awesome work! :salute:

Just tried it out, it looks really nice! You weren't kidding about those neutrals and League units! Very impressive so far.

It seems that most of the new worker units are strictly income-generating, with only the commissioned architects and League-procured engineers being able to construct roads and cities. While commissioned architects are easy enough to unlock tech-wise, the fact that they can only be built at the Palace will definitely limit expansion. Resource-wise, this is not too much of a problem (if anything it encourages conquest of enemy cities and trading with the League) but research will suffer without easy ways to build a lot of labs.

Conventional unit construction takes a hit as well, especially since early economiks techs provide access to a lot of powerful mercenary units (Dreadnought, cheap Star Fighters, infantry, etc). For this reason, old-fashioned production will likely become overshadowed by a heavy focus on Starports, especially since Firebirds required to pay for the troops are now provided by income-generating units (typically have around 100,000 around the first election).

Extra income for the League might prompt them to declare the Third Republic sooner (though I reckon this might be an intended feature).

An interesting side-effect of negative upkeep is that you can actually boost it by increasing unit pay, giving both increased unit morale and greater income. This probably works in 1.4 as well (but less visibly, since few units provide income there).

Also, I think the Questing Knights and Phoenix Guard were implemented by Emperor Alexius after he won the Emperor Wars, so in this timeline they should not be around yet. Could be wrong of course, I am a bit rusty on the lore. Still, might free up unit spots to bring back Cyber and PSI Nobles, they were really nice for flavour and quite useful as well.

Ultimately the game plays very differently from 1.4, it's fresh and fun, and large navies should be available very early, but it will definitely take some getting used to.

For this game, do you reckon we should use the new version or stick with the old one we are more familiar with? Personally I would prefer 1.4 for now, but if you guys want 1.5 I could definitely go with that as well.

I just found my first mistake, I will issue an Emperor Wars 1.5a immediately, you should be able to produce Engineer Guild units in factories without the complicated multi tech requirement since they are hire League units. I just fixed it but there are now 4 options to have engineers.

Royal Architect - Palace (Tech Required -Architect) 3 turns to build
Engineers Guild - Factory (Tech Required - Economics) 2 turns to build
Muster Chainers [Slave Labor] - Starport (Tech Required - Economics - can only be purchased with gems the Church frowns on slave labor and the Muster doesn't like a paper trail when paid in cash and generate income until you build something) 1 turn to build
Muster Edificer [Battlefield Engineer] - Starport (Tech Required - Economics] 2 turns to build

The reason for fewer location options but quicker build times was in solo player games the AI would build insane amounts of cities. However, the factory and starport option worked out great in my last PBEM.

Vertab Nukks

Educated
Well, it has been a busy morning, I noticed during a test run that I did not take the Singularity requirement off of the Charioteer Carriers so I fixed that. Also, I moved all Scraver Units and the Muster Chainers to be built in the Shield. They are the criminal units and since the Shield is usually the center of the cities and mostly likely where the slums would be located I thought it would be logical to place them there.

Anyways, here is the new update - Emperor Wars Mod 1.5b!!!
https://sites.google.com/site/emper...ing-suns-emperor-wars---reality-mod---downlao

CompSciJedi

Barely Literate
Well, I guess signing up and posting here would be a good idea, seeing as how most of you are on here as well. :)

Should I go ahead and run my turn today, or do we want to iron out a few details first?

Hyme

Literate
Is Universal Warehouse on on is something everyone wants. I find the game is a lot funner and harder with it off.

CompSciJedi

Barely Literate
Those all sound fine to me, and as a new player I would lean towards beginner, but whatever difficulty you guys would like to play is fine.

Dayyālu

Arcane
All fair and good to me.

We have decided the version that we are going to use? I'll freely admit that I'd prefer 1.4. If we are going to use 1.5, I kindly request a day or two to run some test games (Vertab Nukks , do you have any revised documentation that I've missed from your site? I checked the old Reality mod pdf to plan stuff. I know I can check directly the txt files, but they are weirdly formatted and I'm kinda lazy ;)).

The income generating units are quite peculiar. In 1.4, they were few, but here the freely recuitable serfs in 1.5 create a weird alchemy. Are you trying to put up some kind of alternate economic model were the serfs units represent taxable income? In other terms, they are under the direct rule of the Nobles and provide resources that can be used for mercenaries and trades? And they can be targeted and captured in war?

It is an interesting concept, but I fear that it's going to be a hell to manage properly. I'll need to test it a bit more, though...

Vertab Nukks

Educated
I say we use 1.4, we can play 1.5 in the future after everyone has done some play testing. We need the difficulty on the highest level because the traits cause a bug crash. Also, Kalin do you have the 1.4 patch zip file saved that you can email all of us. I don't have clean copy because I have updated it so much I didn't save the original. I don't have a preference for the Universal Warehouse.

Vertab Nukks

Educated
All fair and good to me.

We have decided the version that we are going to use? I'll freely admit that I'd prefer 1.4. If we are going to use 1.5, I kindly request a day or two to run some test games (Vertab Nukks , do you have any revised documentation that I've missed from your site? I checked the old Reality mod pdf to plan stuff. I know I can check directly the txt files, but they are weirdly formatted and I'm kinda lazy ;)).

The income generating units are quite peculiar. In 1.4, they were few, but here the freely recuitable serfs in 1.5 create a weird alchemy. Are you trying to put up some kind of alternate economic model were the serfs units represent taxable income? In other terms, they are under the direct rule of the Nobles and provide resources that can be used for mercenaries and trades? And they can be targeted and captured in war?

It is an interesting concept, but I fear that it's going to be a hell to manage properly. I'll need to test it a bit more, though...

Yeah, there are several money producing units in the game now, but I think I am going to have to raise the prices on the Charioteer Space Ships and Mercenaries to balance it out. Save that for version 1.5c. As for documentation I have to get around to putting it together soon, just a lot of new stuff to add.

Vertab Nukks

Educated
I say we use 1.4, we can play 1.5 in the future after everyone has done some play testing. We need the difficulty on the highest level because the traits cause a bug crash. Also, Kalin do you have the 1.4 patch zip file saved that you can email all of us. I don't have clean copy because I have updated it so much I didn't save the original. I don't have a preference for the Universal Warehouse.

Sorry the settings should be "Ridiculous" not "Difficult" for all players. If any house chooses a bugging trait it would suck for the game to crash about 20 turns into playing. No traits is a must for me to play.

CompSciJedi

Barely Literate
OK, I am beginning the first turn. All houses set to human, Ridiculous difficulty, Universal Warehouse, Rebellion, Plague, PBEM, and Security all set to ON.

If needed, I can redo the first turn. Here we go, may all you heretics burn in the righteous fires of my ascendance. :D

Hyme

Literate
So Ridiculous with Universal Warehouse off 1.4.
I believe the money producing units are something i came up with or built on. The mod i made based on 1.4 had units pay for land units stay the same. Amour units 2x old pay, air units 3x old pay and space 4x old pay. and mercenaries units i thought i increase by 6x or more. Pretty much i thought it would be a good idea so i didn't spam the air units. Also my income generating units had no attack so could be capture without a fight. Also building all the income units ate up more food so players had to watch how much food they had.

Last edited:

Hyme

Literate
i got malicious waring on the download and chrome blocked it.

Vertab Nukks

Educated
I was able to download it with Firefox and it worked for me this morning

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom